Test drives - November 2014

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Test drives - November 2014

Post by DLC »

While waiting for a credit union to approve the loan for the buyer of my XT, we stopped at the local Subaru dealer and poked around. They had a sparse selection of used cars, and anything I'd be interested in was either sold or just not there.

After some chatting with a reasonably nice sales rep, I was in a 2015 Legacy Premium for a test drive.

Yeah, I can't believe it either, but after the debacle that was the 5th generation Legacy, they genuinely redeemed themselves with the new model (except for no wagon that's not an Outback). This is a thoroughly modern car, well-assembled, appointed, big-but-not-huge and something that I'd almost consider leasing if I were looking for something new and fresh. A great test drive, the CVT and 2.5 really impressed me. It's a far cry from my 01 Outback's clunky 4EAT and the EJ251, that's for sure. the new F-engine is _nice_

I know I'm not going to convert a soul here, but if you can, go by and look at the 2015.

The second car I drove was an 05 Impreza RS. Yup, the little wanna-be WRX even had the spoiler and fog lamps. What it lacked was the turbo, but with a 5MT it was really a fun drive around and there's something to be said about the very rigid chassis, lighter weight, simpler suspension, and inherent Impreza dynamics that newer cars can only approach if they're designed to drive that way. The 04-05 were the years before the Impreza really went upscale, and the RS really was a continuation of the first GC/GM chassis concept: big-bore engine, 5MT, tighter suspension, lighter weight.

If this one wasn't silver (ugh) and didn't have the WRX spoiler, I'd think more seriously about it.
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
mike-tracy

Re: Test drives - November 2014

Post by mike-tracy »

I agree the GD is a great chassis. I've only owned one "premium car" to compare the interior to, and yes it was a disappointment. However, I've been driving GC/BC/BD/SF's for so long that the GD interior, especially the seat material and instrumentation, is a nice evolutionary bump.

I haven't driven the new FA/FB engines yet but most reviews are positive like yours. Progress, right?
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Don't the cvt transmissions go out quickly?
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

Is the chassis as playful as earlier Legacy's, or has it grown up quite a bit?

I've heard CVTs have been getting much better in reliability. That they use CVTs in the WRX and XT now tells me that Subaru (hopefully) has some beef behind theirs. Especially now that it's replacing the automatics across their entire range, they are gonna have a REALLY bad next few years if they don't hold up.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

CVTs in the Nissans of the last decade were a bit flaky, but, like the 7-10 speed autos, they're increasingly reliable and clever. The Subaru CVT can emulate gears, has paddle shifters, and like I said, changes personality depending on the situation.

The salesperson started out the test drive and really flogged it through a 25MPH corner at over 50 and it stuck, nearly flat. Color me impressed.

As I was driving the BH to work, up the same long hill I did in the '15, I couldn't help but think about how much the EJ251 and 4EAT was struggling versus the new car. Progress for sure.
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
GTEASER
First Gear

Post by GTEASER »

Glad to hear that the 5th Gen was a debacle. I like mine. And I dont consider 340 wtq from a Stage1 tune a debacle exactly, more of a freak of nature.

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Thanks for sharing Dave. At some point my 97 Impreza may give up the ghost and used older Subarus aren't too common down here, so it's good to know there are some newer models that aren't poop.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
allnines'
Second Gear

Post by allnines' »

A co-worker of my will be taking delivery of a '15 3.6R next month-after blowing up his '06 2.5T Leggy-I want to take it out for a drive!
Legacys are like potato chips-you can't stop at one!
86BRATMAN
Second Gear

Post by 86BRATMAN »

You won't be disappointed with the 3.6r, I got to drive one a couple weeks ago. And it made me really depressed getting back into my old beaten forester. The power and delivery through the cvt is impressive, I think the paddle shifter programming could use improvement, as I was flogging the car and shifting out of "1st" it went directly to "3rd". But I can say this, the cvt technology has come leaps and bounds in the last few years. I would actually own one of the new ones. And I haven't said that in about 6 years.
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

As long as the CVT does what the driver wants and not only a narrow set of factory programs (my biggest beef with older CVTs and many autos), and it proves not to be a money pit in the long term, I would have no problem choosing one over a manual. That last part remains to be seen.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.