For the first time in...

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

For the first time in...

Post by DLC »

For the first time in 15 years, my car doesn't have the following:

Rear disc brakes
Boxer engine
AWD
Rear independent suspension

and I'm okay with that.

Yes, for the first time since I purchased my original Legacy in 1999, I don't own a Subaru. The 2001 Outback was sold last night, and I was glad to see it go to a good family. Here's hoping it's as safe and reliable for them as it was for me.

Is it awkward to not have a Subaru? Not much, no. There are about 10-15 days in the year where I'll potentially curse my decision, but the rest of the time I think I'll be just fine.

I think there's only one person on the board who knows what I am driving now :)
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
stipro
Third Gear

Re: For the first time in...

Post by stipro »

Toyota Tacoma?? :)
1994 ABM Sport Sedan-Not stock
1990 L series/turbo-Rally project
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

1st gen Toyota Prius?
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

Owning a Saturn for a couple years made me curse my decision way more than 15 days out of the year. ;)

Id have to guess the Taco too.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

No Saturn, nor a Toyota.

09 Honda Fit Sport 5MT. Light, zippy, great on fuel, and holds a lot more than it should. Drives like a kart, firm suspension, and just enough in the way of amenities that I don't feel like it's an economy car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

Fits are pretty nice. If I wanted something smaller than what Subaru offers, they would be near the top of my list.

I did think they had rear disks though.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

They don't, rear drums. Mostly because this car is soooooooooo light at under 2500lbs.

I also forgot about another feature that all of those other Subarus have had: frameless windows.
Legacy Central
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

First off, TTIWWOP ;)

Second, excellent choice, though I'm partial to the 1st-gen Fit. Honestly, I miss mine more than I thought I would. I got mine brand-new in late 2007, so I definitely miss the worry-free simplicity of new-car ownership, but it was an awesome little car on top of that. A lot of people were blown away at how much room it has inside despite its outward appearance, but I also surprised a HELL of a lot of people at a track day at Sebring with nothing more than a set of Dunlop summer tires.

I have to dispute the gas mileage, though. I averaged around 31mpg in mine, which isn't bad, but it's not as good as it should be for its weight and the power it has. The short 5MT gearing and the tall profile are, IMO, the main factors.

How many miles does it have?
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
MConte05
Second Gear

Post by MConte05 »

Definitely isn't go-kart like. Leave that to the Lotus. ;)

However I am picking up something similar, Fiesta ST.
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

It was formerly a Michigan car, lots of freeway miles, so I got it with 124K.

I like the first-gen Fit also, but the just slightly larger GE8 suits me better, especially with the styling. However, the new 2015 is a bit overboard IMO.

I got 35.96MPG on my first full tank. The gearing on the 5MT is a lot shorter than the 5AT, but it doesn't seem to affect the fuel economy that much. The other family car is also an 09 Fit Sport, blue, automatic with paddle shifters.

And I found these the same night on some local classifieds ( SSR type C 16x6.5" 11lbs )

Legacy Central
allnines'
Second Gear

Post by allnines' »

I would have guess a nissan myself
Legacys are like potato chips-you can't stop at one!
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

Nissan doesn't make any appealing 5-door cars, and I'm a pretty die-hard wagon/hatch fan.

Looked at the Mazda 6 wagon, but it's only got that awful 3L Duratec Ford engine, which is junk, though it was paired with a 5MT. Also (very) briefly mulled a Mazda 3, but I think it's got a bit too much engine or more weight than it needs.

Put some WS80 Blizzaks on the OE wheels. Nice, but a bit more movement than I'd like and, yeah, tramlining on grooved cement like the wife's Falkens. Must be a result of the narrow tire width (185) or something, because I'd never had this with any 205+ snow tire on the Subarus.
Legacy Central
allnines'
Second Gear

Post by allnines' »

That's what I miss about my '93 Loyal-the narrow tires-great in the snow-better than my '91 Leggy
Legacys are like potato chips-you can't stop at one!