Scruff's Stuff

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

Scruff_
First Gear

Scruff's Stuff

Post by Scruff_ »

Hey guys! Been browsing the forums for a while now and can finally join the party.

I'm on my third Subaru and am VERY excited to get started on actually working on them.

My first car is/was a 1993 Impreza wagon. She is a POS FWD automatic, but in the 6 years I've had her she has not stranded me once... I still drive it occasionally but it needs a lot of work. I have ideas for turning her into an AWD project, but that will be sitting on the backburner until I have everything else together.

My second was very short lived. Last year I had a 2006 Legacy GT Spec.B (320/500) for about a month before rolling it a couple of times.

Somehow I managed to come out on top, both financially and (more importantly) physically. If anything, that car cemented my loyalty to Subarus. Sadly, the car was written off... Although in hindsight I think I'm and early 90's Subaru guy to begin with.

My third is my 1991 Legacy SS. I've known about it for about a year now and after losing my Spec.B I knew I needed to get it. I finally bought it about a month ago. Ever since I got into Subarus I've always wanted one of these, and I have finally gotten to a place where I could get one. This one is kind of a mystery though, as all the previous owner and I have to go on really is some old for sale threads.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin ... -ss-10359/

So this should be pretty fun. I know it has a boost leak somewhere, and the wastegate might be sticking open, but for a daily it is working fine. Changing the oil and inspecting it a bit deeper this weekend. Time to get my hands dirty :)

To be honest I'm pretty new to working on these but I am passionate about this car and hope to have some fun with it. I'll be checking in often with progress, and I'm sure I'll need some help along the way!

Cheers!

-Bryce
Last edited by Scruff_ on Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
1991 Subaru Legacy SS 5MT
1991 Subaru Legacy SS 4EAT
1994 Subaru Legacy TW
2000 Toyota Echo
originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Re: New Member! (1991 SS)

Post by originalcyn »

Welcome, it's always nice to have new members around, especially local members.
Kijan

1993 Legacy LS | PBM 227
2004 Forester 2.5XT Premium | JBP 18L
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yup, welcome to the BBS!

Glad to hear you were alright after the roll on the spec B. I'm impressed with how well the cabin area held up.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Scruff_
First Gear

Post by Scruff_ »

originalcyn wrote:Welcome, it's always nice to have new members around, especially local members.
Thanks! I'm excited to meet the community. Looks like there's a fair amount of owners in the area :)
1994 Subaru Legacy TW
2000 Toyota Echo
Scruff_
First Gear

Post by Scruff_ »

Legacy777 wrote:Yup, welcome to the BBS!

Glad to hear you were alright after the roll on the spec B. I'm impressed with how well the cabin area held up.
That thing was too good for me :)

Most of the roof impact was on the right rear:

It certainly kept me safe, and it just felt solid. I had my complaints about it but overall that was a great car.
Last edited by Scruff_ on Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1994 Subaru Legacy TW
2000 Toyota Echo
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

Poor Spec B, to bad you couldn't have parted it out. That's how I got my interior for my GT. Glad you are staying in the game!
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
Scruff_
First Gear

Post by Scruff_ »

SILINC3R wrote:Poor Spec B, to bad you couldn't have parted it out. That's how I got my interior for my GT. Glad you are staying in the game!
Thought about buying it back but didn't have the money at the time... I took the COBB downpipe and 3 inch midpipe off of it though... Been meaning to sell them but they've just been sitting. Already gave the Blitz Nur mufflers to the previous owner.

That interior was gorgeous though, I don't think I was classy enough for it.

I'm actually more stoked on having the SS at the end of the day though to be honest. It's been my dream car for ages :D
1994 Subaru Legacy TW
2000 Toyota Echo
Scruff_
First Gear

Post by Scruff_ »

Washed her today, -possibly- the last pictures before new wheels... About to purchase them, then tires, and mounting my OEM mudguards :D

1994 Subaru Legacy TW
2000 Toyota Echo
tibug
In Neutral

Post by tibug »

Looks awesome! Sucks about the Spec B...but I feel pretty similar to you. I have no class either :). That's why I've been going back in time.
Scruff_
First Gear

Post by Scruff_ »

tibug wrote:Looks awesome! Sucks about the Spec B...but I feel pretty similar to you. I have no class either :). That's why I've been going back in time.
Yeah, I'll probably be in old Subaru's for a while. I just enjoy the responsiveness.

The Spec.B was really nice as a daily (minus how low it was... not a fan of coilovers) but I felt like the steering and pedals lacked the feedback that you get in older setups.

Class is overrated anyways :D
1994 Subaru Legacy TW
2000 Toyota Echo
Scruff_
First Gear

Post by Scruff_ »

After a fitting (or just the really old oil return line) went out on my turbo and the exhaust manifold cracked, I decided to go all out and convert my SS back to Subaru parts. Out with the T3/T4. custom up and downpipes, and cut up SAAB intercooler (which was actually pretty nice) and in with v3 STi exhaust manifold and catless uppipe, VF39, catless downpipe, and 06 WRX intercooler, with all new hoses. It all took about a month to complete, but once it was done I was so stoked on it, and I am proud to say I did it myself :)

Here is a quick snap from my buddy's house, will follow up with engine pics once I get the recirculating BPV on since there is this old Greddy atmospheric unit on at the moment.

1994 Subaru Legacy TW
2000 Toyota Echo
Scruff_
First Gear

Post by Scruff_ »

Using this topic to update with progress on my Legacy (and now my second one :D )

Mods- If there is a better place to move this thread to, please do!!!

Last thing I left off at was swapping in my VF39, engine-wise not much has changed other than a recirculating bypass valve (APR, I believe it was initially made for a VW but with an adapter and some tricky use of hose it works like a dream) and an Apex'i intake. Holds 15psi well, although I STILL haven't installed my HKS FCD.

Oh, and I put on my Speedlines :-)

That's where she sits currently, I think the wheels really set it off. I think her next stage is actually to go RWD. I've always been into drifting (why I bought the 200SX which I will be getting rid of), and made the decision that the Legacy would be a good choice since I am confident in the chassis and with the engine. It will obviously take some time and fabrication to work it all out, but at least I purchased a new daily so I don't need to worry about rushing the project.

I purchased this 1994 Legacy TW in Ashland, OR this past weekend. 175k miles, all major service done at 160k, bone stock sans a 4.11 manual tranny/diff. It's in pretty good shape, but is in need of a detail I will be doing this weekend for sure. It didn't skip a beat over the 500 mile journey back home Sunday either. It is also my first car with a working radio, so that's pretty tits.

That little VF11 spools up nicely, but what surprised me most was how much faster the sedan is... I didn't realize the current mods produced THAT much more power over stock.

Next weekend the sedan is getting parked at my parent's for a teardown and some much needed maintenance and modification. I will be starting in the engine bay and will be moving back. Major changes include (possibly) installing a smaller turbo (TD04 or TD05), installing my FCD, and possibly a front mounted intercooler. Otherwise, it's all about making it as reliable as possible. After that... well... I think it will be going rear wheel drive. I am in the midst of doing the proper research and building a parts list, since I will not be using the 3.9 VLSD or stock subaru axles, but we'll see when I get there. One step at a time ;-)
1994 Subaru Legacy TW
2000 Toyota Echo
nortonjefferson
First Gear

Re: Scruff's Stuff

Post by nortonjefferson »

Awesome little collection of first gens you got there! both are very clean too, keep it up! i love the speedlines btw
White 1993 L Wagon AWD 5MT-FXT lift, 27” MTs 380xxx miles
White 1991 L sedan AWD 5MT-(Robtune 550 DOHC Ej22t swap coming together) 187xxx miles
Black 2005 LGT 5MT-Ej20x swapped daily, VF40/elh
Scruff_
First Gear

Post by Scruff_ »

nortonjefferson wrote:Awesome little collection of first gens you got there! both are very clean too, keep it up! i love the speedlines btw
Thanks man! Yeah when I found those a couple years back (can't believe it has been that long) I was super stoked. They'll be making their way onto the wagon while the sedan is under the knife.
1994 Subaru Legacy TW
2000 Toyota Echo
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

I agree, manual turbo wagons are awesome! My 92 SS is mostly done, and have another couple projects to finish, or I'd consider getting a TW myself.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Scruff_
First Gear

Post by Scruff_ »

mike-tracy wrote:I agree, manual turbo wagons are awesome! My 92 SS is mostly done, and have another couple projects to finish, or I'd consider getting a TW myself.
Yeah I'm super exicted to do some adventuring in it. I think it is my ideal daily, and I miss having a wagon (first car was a '93 Impreza wagon).

Plus all that room for parts runs for the SS :twisted:
1994 Subaru Legacy TW
2000 Toyota Echo
Pntaste4evr99
Winestone Cowboy

Post by Pntaste4evr99 »

Or premarital relationships lol
94 Winestone SS 5MT Rob 550 20g. (Pickle)
Original WA car with 460k miles and climbing
Scruff_
First Gear

Post by Scruff_ »

Pntaste4evr99 wrote:Or premarital relationships lol
"Adventuring" :wink:
1994 Subaru Legacy TW
2000 Toyota Echo
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

Bro!!!! I love the look. Glad to see you finally mounted them. However, please don't drift with those wheels. I'd hate to see something happen and in drifting that comes with the territory.

Thanks for the new wallpaper!
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
Scruff_
First Gear

Post by Scruff_ »

SILINC3R wrote:Bro!!!! I love the look. Glad to see you finally mounted them. However, please don't drift with those wheels. I'd hate to see something happen and in drifting that comes with the territory.

Thanks for the new wallpaper!
I think that's the first time anything I've owned was deemed wallpaper material haha :D

Planning on swapping the wheels over to the wagon this weekend while the sedan is out of commission, I'll probably post up some pics afterwards.

The current plan is to get the sedan ready for a roadtrip later this year, and maybe some autocross, so no RWD at the moment... Once it is ready to go, the Speedlines will be back on the sedan.

When/if the sedan goes RWD, I'll find a different set of wheels, promise! :-D

Bad instagram photo-

1994 Subaru Legacy TW
2000 Toyota Echo
Pntaste4evr99
Winestone Cowboy

Post by Pntaste4evr99 »

Post on here if your gonna take the sedan to an autocross around here, I've always wanted to go do one, beat on the pickle a little more then usual ;)
94 Winestone SS 5MT Rob 550 20g. (Pickle)
Original WA car with 460k miles and climbing
Scruff_
First Gear

Post by Scruff_ »

Pntaste4evr99 wrote:Post on here if your gonna take the sedan to an autocross around here, I've always wanted to go do one, beat on the pickle a little more then usual ;)
Definitely will do, should be going out in the summertime!
1994 Subaru Legacy TW
2000 Toyota Echo
Scruff_
First Gear

Post by Scruff_ »

'91 is back to daily duties :-D :-D :-D

ill be posting up photos once i go for a drive and snap a few.

new (and used) parts include:

KYB AGXs and whiteline springs, 1 inch rear strut spacers (rides A LOT higher than she did, will be good for winter but thinking about using the old springs and buying some new struts for a summer setup)

reman '02 WRX calipers all the way around with new rotors and pads

redid all boost hoses with new silicone, eliminated a boost leak ive had for a very long time

HKS FCD installed

AEM AFR gauge and sensor installed (DP already had a bung for an extra sensor, SUPER easy install)

Turbosmart 25 psi boost gauge (15 psi gauge was maxing out on the first few drives, with the boost leak gone i was running about 18-20psi, running 15psi high boost now)

new sparkplugs (went one step colder at first, felt off, went back to stock and gapped down to .32 and feels perfect now)

WRX shift linkage (the drift pins were a REAL b**ch to remove and install... took me probably a combined 3-4 hours to do)

Trust/GReddy shift knob

NRG shorthub/quick release and 330mm MOMO wheel

relocated turn signals into the corner lights (harness is the same for the running lights/bumper signals, so i just removed the bumper signals altogether)

LEDs all around on the exterior

modified the '89-'91 non-turbo grille with some mesh and an L7 badge ive had forever (turned out pretty nice for the most part, should re-sand and paint it again though)

removed A/C

removed carpet/rear seats (while she was sitting for 4 months or so at my parents a family of mice decided to call my car home... still have the rear seats laying around but the carpet is done for)

she is running better than she ever has, definitely a lot of fun. just purchased my winter set of wheels (16x7 Speedline 6 spokes) those will be going on pretty soon once i pick up some tires.

at this pace it definitely looks like im going to be doing a lot of autocross in 2018, one of my coworkers has been doing it for years so its good having that extra shove to get out there. coming months will bring little tweaks and such but for the most part version 3 of my '91 is good to go.
1994 Subaru Legacy TW
2000 Toyota Echo
ride_child
Third Gear

Post by ride_child »

thats the boat launch on lake morton!! i know that place well, i went to kentlake.
Kris

'91 Mica White SS - R.I.P.
'88 White RX Turbo sedan - SOLD
'91 Black SS - SOLD
'93 Silver Turbo Wagon - Hibernation/Project Mode
'91 Black Camry Alltrac - R.I.P.
'09 DGM Forester XT Limited - Daily
Scruff_
First Gear

Post by Scruff_ »

ride_child wrote:thats the boat launch on lake morton!! i know that place well, i went to kentlake.
thats the one! i grew up/my parents still live about 5 minutes from it, actually worked on the SS there the past few months.
1994 Subaru Legacy TW
2000 Toyota Echo