Houston Flooding

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Houston Flooding

Post by Legacy777 »

Well I was out of town this past week when all hell broke loose Monday night and we got the ridiculous amount of rain. Some areas got 11" of rain overnight!

I ended up getting water in the garage and a little bit of water in the sliding door next to the dining room. I spent yesterday pulling stuff out of the garage and pulling carpet up so it can dry. My landlord is going to replace the carpet as well as try and replace the sliding door with another one that has a little higher lip to prevent future water coming in.

Here are some pics from yesterday's clean up.

http://main.experiencetherave.com/image ... nthehouse/
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
TurnNburn
Second Gear

Re: Houston Flooding

Post by TurnNburn »

sucks man... the pictures im seeing on the news are hard to believe that just came from a few days of rain...
1990 NA 2.2 Open Light rally car
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Glad your place wasn't majorly harmed by the flooding. I had to LOL at that boot print on the door - was that related to the flooding?
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

We've been in a pattern of rain for several weeks, so everything was pretty saturated and when we got the very heavy rain, it was just too much.

The foot print on the door was from some time before....maybe during my AWD swap. I no longer have those shoes, so it's been a while :lol:
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Post by 93Leg-c »

I just saw this thread. I'm glad that you're okay, Josh, and seems like you only had minimal damage from the water. And, as you probably already know, be on the lookout for mold, which can have a huge detrimental effect on a person's health. It's good that you have a landlord that takes positive action. There are so many out there that just don't care and would refuse to replace damaged property or even make an effort to improve their property.

Some time back, I lived in an area in Hawaii where a huge tropical storm came through and dumped over 23" of rain overnight! The only reason why the houses in the town weren't water-damaged is that the terrain sloped off downhill into the ocean so all that water had a place to go without flooding into people's houses. But the storm did damage in other ways, such as cutting off electricity for over a month in the whole town and surrounding areas. Needless to say, unless the household had a gas-powered generator and sufficient fuel, all perishable food supplies, including frozen foods, had to be discarded. One of the markets in town gave away all of their perishable food supply for free, but without refrigeration, the food lasted only a few days at the most before it started to spoil. Some houses suffered damage from falling limbs or trees. The fallen trees isolated the town for several weeks; some residents couldn't get to work for that length of time and others couldn't get home for that period of time.

Whoops, sorry to get off-topic here. Again, Josh, I'm glad you're safe and that your house wasn't damaged anymore than it was. Oh, and, thanks for posting the pics!
'94 TW
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Thanks Len.

They replaced the rear sliding glass door where the water got in and have just started replacing the flooring in the kitchen. They did find mold between the linoleum flooring, but it's drying out now. I've moved most of my stuff to the bedrooms, but I didn't get some of it since I didn't know there were going to be doing that work today. I'll just be happy when all this shit is done. That and all the travel I'm doing is just exhausting. Travel without the home crap would be fine....
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT