Well I own a 91SS now..

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

austynn2001
In Neutral

Well I own a 91SS now..

Post by austynn2001 »

Hello legacycentral! I've lurked on this site for quite a while, but now I'm one of you! I've used this forum for quite a while partially due to my love for these cars, but mainly while trying to figure out my ej22/ej25d heads/ej20k intake plus WRX turbo setup on my mess of a 97 OBS. I also have an EG33 in the garage that I've been planning on finding an NA first gen legacy for. Well, in my search for a clean NA car to play with, I stumbled across a pretty clean (for the northeast) 91SS. I couldn't pass it up for the price and I actually drove it home. Locked up caliper(s?) and all. I do not intend to ruin this car with a 6 cyl. swap, so I guess I'll still be after a nice NA car in the future. I already have a TD04 and an 06 WRX IC on the shelf from my OBS build that I didn't use. I also have two sets of ej20g heads and an ej20g intake on a shelf (and two ej20g blocks if anyone wants those cheap). It seems that all these parts could be used on the 91. I'm just trying to get a plan together for now. First I have to reseal the wives silver 05 2.5i legacy before winter and then build her black 05 GT. The black car will be getting an IAG stage 2 block and rotated GTX3076R and more crap to make her happy for a while. Then it's first gen time! What do you all do for tuning with the 20g ECU? The one thing I like about the newer cars is the aftermarket for tuning. Although being OBD1 will be a huge help with the 91. The 97 is still on the stock ECU running the WRX turbo because I don't know if I want to do a piggyback and go bigger or just do a 5.3 swap. I'm kinda leaning toward the V8 swap :-D
mike-tracy

Re: Well I own a 91SS now..

Post by mike-tracy »

Congrats on getting a new SS. Spend some time reading the stickies in the electrical section regarding tuning for the ej20g. It's certainly possible with $$$ wire in standalones (not a piggy back because the ecu learns around them), an APFC, or an ESL. There's no such thing as open source tuning, like there is for modern turbo subarus. So you'll want to talk to a local tuning shop to see what they recommend and support.

Good luck, and if you can't find the answers with searching, we'll do our best to help.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
austynn2001
In Neutral

Post by austynn2001 »

Yeah I saw the ESL stuff when it came out and got real excited until I started reading about it. I was hoping it'd work for my 97 ECU. Is Megasquirt popular around here? I'm about to dive into that world to try to get her Justy running better. The CV carb idea I had wasn't the best. I guess I'll leave those for the Samurais. Hopefully the big DOHC thread is still around when the time comes as the heads I have are bare as is the intake. I do love the 25d heads on the open deck 2.2 in my OBS so I think it would be worthwhile to do on this car.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

I've never heard of anyone successfully running a megasquirt on a first gen legacy. Not for lack of trying though.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
austynn2001
In Neutral

Post by austynn2001 »

ESL does seem to be the ticket. The GD COP swap looks pretty sweet too. I should be able to get this car hooked up pretty cheap with all the parts I've already got laying around. What kind of numbers do people put down on the td04 with these things?
ride_child
Third Gear

Post by ride_child »

just a td04? you wont see much of a gain over the vf11. youll see more with all the supporting mods, but in my opinion, the td05 is the way to go and you can find them with the 90 degree inlet, so it makes it even better.
Kris

'91 Mica White SS - R.I.P.
'88 White RX Turbo sedan - SOLD
'91 Black SS - SOLD
'93 Silver Turbo Wagon - Hibernation/Project Mode
'91 Black Camry Alltrac - R.I.P.
'09 DGM Forester XT Limited - Daily
austynn2001
In Neutral

Post by austynn2001 »

Agreed on going bigger, but until I'm done collecting expensive parts for and building the wives LGT, I plan on using the parts I've got laying around to keep it as close to free as I can while helping the performance and reliability out a bit. I won't mess around with the 20g stuff and ESL until her cars are out of the garage. I'm thinking of just doing a good tune up with the td04 and 06 IC for the time being.
austynn2001
In Neutral

Post by austynn2001 »

I've also got a set of WRX exhaust manifolds (the ones that came on this car have been cut and spliced for some odd reason. I haven't looked at the uppipe on this thing yet, but I've got a stock catless STI uppipe on a shelf in case this one is catted.
ride_child
Third Gear

Post by ride_child »

nope we just have one in our downpipe and the after the downpipe.
Kris

'91 Black SS - SOLD
austynn2001
In Neutral

Post by austynn2001 »

Aah I see that now. I pulled it up on some ramps this afternoon to have a look around. Haven't really touched it since I got it home. Damn Justy. Catless uppipe is nice and this thing already has some kind of aftermarket exhaust on it with a decent looking catless downpipe. It's all older stuff but looks pretty solid. The oil cooler line looks pretty iffy so I ordered a nicer used WRX one (looks the same). I'll also be ordering the little hoses associated with it. I've got a couple small mystery metal lines on top of the engine. Probably 3/16 or so. I didn't get any pictures, but one came up pretty tight to the driver rear injector. The other one had a hose on one end that went over toward the charcoal canister by the passenger headlight. I also have to figure out how to see what codes are on it.
ride_child
Third Gear

Post by ride_child »

those mystery metal lines are you fuel lines and the fuel evap system lines. they just use metal under the manifold. the fuel lines should all have screw down clamps on the lines and the evap system will just have spring clamps.
Kris

'91 Black SS - SOLD
austynn2001
In Neutral

Post by austynn2001 »

I believe we're talking about different lines. The one I can picture at the moment runs sorta up between the coil pack and alternator from over by the passenger headlight to the master cylinder side of the engine bay. I can't remember where the other one is exactly. I've got the td04 on and the intercooler figured out with the exception of the BPV. I'll just block it off for the time being. What is the factory boost setting on these cars? I'm not positive what year (wastegate pressure) td04 I've got on here either. I just stumbled across a real clean WRX bugeye wagon for real cheap with a blown up engine so I'll be getting that on Sunday and throwing in one of my NA 2.2 blocks for the wife to drive. Anyone want to buy a super clean 250k mile 05 Legacy in the Vermont area?! :)
ride_child
Third Gear

Post by ride_child »

there is a coolant line that runs by the coilpack, that might be the one youre thinking of.
Kris

'91 Black SS - SOLD
austynn2001
In Neutral

Post by austynn2001 »

I don't think that's it either. I'll try to get a couple pictures uploaded later if my internet connection cooperates. I've been trying to research some good brake replacement/upgrade options for this thing. There are so many different opinions it's insane. It seems that 02 WRX front calipers/rotors and 05 LGT rear is sort of the preferred setup? It would be nice to be able to order a full set for one car. Could I just do 05 LGT stuff front and rear with good results?