3rd Annual East Coast Subaru Shootout!

Discussion of any community projects, meetings and collaborative projects.

Moderator: Moderators

BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Nooooo Matt!

Would you keep her and try to fix her down the line? Don't kill her :(
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Uggh, I know, we'll see. Depends if I can get a different car to get me through an engine rebuild. I'll tell ya what, I went driving today a bit and I really think something bad is going on. :( Oh and when I left work today she decided to piss all over me when my sunroof leaked a torent of water down my neck and back! It's never leaked on the driver side before. :evil:

I'll bitch about my car in another thread though, who else is coming to the shootout?! We need at least 6 BC/BF turbos for our own class. Come on guys, step up. I know we have a lot of BC/BF turbo owners in PA alone. ;)
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

If I could spare the cash I'd be there no problem. Wish I could go. This no-money thing sucks hairy ass.

I wonder if you do have a ring land or exhaust valve issue. How about like a $500 Caprice while you rebuild her? It's not a bad job if you have a stand. You're looking at about $600 for all new seals, gaskets, pumps, etc. That's not including any additional work it may need or bottom end (though I've torn down the bottom end of my old engine and there is only minimal wear marks on the rod bearings. The journals are pristine). If you do have a piston, it's a good excuse to upgrade. It would give you a chance to improve the fuel, too.

I suggest a Caprice as they're cheap and would be encouragement to finish the car. Of course, there's that whole f'n money thing ...

Shit, I'd even reassemble my old engine and give it to you for a temporary transplant if I were closer. Poor thing needs just an exhaust valve, but it looks like it's going to the alloy scrapper.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like I will be making it out to Central PA next weekend.

I would recommend finding an old 4x4 Subie. They can be had for less than the price of your 16g. They run forever and are beyond easy to work on. EA82 is alright, same ticking issues as EJ's. EA81's are beyond simple. And most parts run across e-bay at bargain prices. You can pick up an alternator for like $25. Or struts for $19, etc...

Plus, why in the world would you want to go a winter without AWD or 4WD??

Edited for my lack of knowledge in the use of the words "this" and "next"... :oops:
Last edited by Brat4by4 on Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

William-Ya, we'll see. I would like to get an old school scuby regardless. I just can't seem to find a good one around here.

Ya know, the shootout is next weekend, not this weekend. It's the 18th.

Steve- Hehe, I'm not a big Caprice fan, although it would be fun to screw with people. Everyone around me would drive slow and stuff. I'd probably pick up a cheap truck or old Scuby like William suggested. I've been thinking about getting a Tacoma extended cab or Tundra extended cab for quite a while so maybe I'll just do that. Not sure though, I can't really afford piddly squat right now.
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
Tleg93
Fifth Gear

Post by Tleg93 »

What! When I was thinking about buying a truck you all but talked me out of it, what gives?
--Scott--

1991 - Rio Red SS
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

The only reason I've been thinking about a truck is because I need to be able to haul stuff, like yard debri, to the township. That and I want to get crackin on my upstairs remodel again and I need to be able to haul stuff to the dump and don't really want to use the Tahoe for that.

I really don't remember trying to talk you out of a truck, I don't think a truck fits your needs real well and I think I said that but you may be right and I don't remember. I think I pointed out the bad points about having a truck without the king cab too. Without the king cab you have no place to put stuff and it can be a pain in the ass. If you have a non-skid bed and cap that can be cool. I just didn't like that F-150 I had without the king cab or cap. It was nice for hauling but I would never want a truck like that as my daily. ;)

I don't see you as a truck person though. I could see you in a nice 4-Runner or Pathfinder though. :)

In all reality, I highly doubt that I would get rid of the suby, I don't think I could live with myself if I did, I just need a work truck and it could be my daily while I rebuild Subarina.
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
glassjaw
In Neutral

Post by glassjaw »

I will be there, I may race depending on what I see there. I wonder how many N/A cars will make it? My car is not fast, but against other N/A's, I think I could put a hurting. I could complete the turbo group if somebody felt like putting an engine in my car within the next week! :)

I may have a 2003 Outback LL Bean with me as well, H6 3.0, if my friends wife is not driving it at the time.
1998 Impreza L coupe...

Past Subies... 1999 Legacy L AWD, 1994 AWD L, 1992 AWD L, 1990 FWD L, 1990 AWD L. Pretty much all I drive.
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

glassjaw wrote:I will be there, I may race depending on what I see there. I wonder how many N/A cars will make it? My car is not fast, but against other N/A's, I think I could put a hurting. I could complete the turbo group if somebody felt like putting an engine in my car within the next week! :)

I may have a 2003 Outback LL Bean with me as well, H6 3.0, if my friends wife is not driving it at the time.
Sweet! Last year I think there was about 6 N/A's but they're expecting more this year. There is an N/A only class as well so that's cool.

Depending apon what time you're going there is a bunch of us that are going to be meeting at Bieters furniture in South Williamsport on 15 S.. You're more then welcome to meet up with us and caravan down. :D

Are you going to the Friday night pre-party at W&L Subaru in Northumberland?
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Matt - My math professor popped a test up on me on Friday, and I can't get out of it (i'll try on Wednesday). So the earliest I can make it up there is about 3. Is that cool? If I CAN get around the test, what time do you want me to show up?

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
professor
Third Gear

Post by professor »

Instead of a truck, I bought a nice quality flat trailer off of eBay for $400, built stake-sides, and have been hapilly hauling sheetrock, dirt, garbage etc with my BMW. Beats the hell out of the extra insurance, hassle etc of a truck. Plus, friends don't call every weekend asking me to help them move (the bane of all truck owners)

my $0.02

btw if you see a bald gentlemen in his 60's at the Shootout, maybe driving a '99 Outback, or an original Mini, or a TR3, or a Dailmer Dart SP250, or a Healey 100-4, or a truck, tht'd be my Dad. he likes cars, too and has a bigger garage than me :D
That beer you are drinking cost more than my car
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

BAC5.2 wrote:Matt - My math professor popped a test up on me on Friday, and I can't get out of it (i'll try on Wednesday). So the earliest I can make it up there is about 3. Is that cool? If I CAN get around the test, what time do you want me to show up?
3 is cool, no worries. If you can get here earlier that's even better though. :) Give me a call some time this week.
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Your dad's got some interesting cars!

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

I'll give you a call on thursday when we finish up the install if I can't call you earlier. If I can't get out of the test, I'll just pack in the morning, then run back from class and hop in the car, and head on up. I don't remember what time I got up there last time, or how long it took. I think it was like 3 hours or so.

I hope I don't have TO much fun with the new turbo on the way up there ;).

glassjaw
In Neutral

Post by glassjaw »

Glad to hear I won't be the only non-blown car there. I am working on a few odds and ends, so I don't kill it in a 1/4 mile of hell :).

I can't attend the Friday night thing, I have to work late that evening.

I could meet you guys at Beiters, I was originally planning on taking 80 and then going south. HOWEVER, if we can be out in a Subaru parade down 15... I am all for that! What time were you all thinking?

I does not look very good for the H6 though...
1998 Impreza L coupe...

Past Subies... 1999 Legacy L AWD, 1994 AWD L, 1992 AWD L, 1990 FWD L, 1990 AWD L. Pretty much all I drive.
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

Wish i could go.
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

glassjaw wrote: I could meet you guys at Beiters, I was originally planning on taking 80 and then going south. HOWEVER, if we can be out in a Subaru parade down 15... I am all for that! What time were you all thinking?
Cool! I'm not 100% sure what time yet but probably around 8:30 or 9:00 am. The gates open at 9:30 and racing starts at 10:00. I'll let you know when I know for sure. :)
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Vikash- What time are you coming to my place on Friday?

Phil- Are you still looking at around 3:00 ?

This is going to be a blast guys, I can't wait! Since Ivan is taking it's sweet time the weather report has been improving. They were calling for rain but now it's just a chance of showers. :D
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Yep, still 3pm. Couldn't talk my way out of the test or getting it bumped back. Sucks.

I'll give you a call tomorrow after the install.

I'm really stoked :)

legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Ya, good luck on that! I can't wait to go for a ride. :twisted:
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

It looks like I can take all of Friday off, so I'll probably come early... When's good?
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Any time, I took Friday off too. :)
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Cool. :cool:
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
glassjaw
In Neutral

Post by glassjaw »

When should I meet you guys there? 8:30? It is raining out today, so I won't get to finish some things on the car :(.
1998 Impreza L coupe...

legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Ya, plan on 8:30 am at Bieters in South Williamsport on 15 S. Pm me your phone # or check this thread before you leave in the morning in case something changes. :)
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]