World's First Open Source Production Vehicle

Discussion of any community projects, meetings and collaborative projects.

Moderator: Moderators

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

World's First Open Source Production Vehicle

Post by kimokalihi »

This is interesting. A vehicle designed and built by the community and the customers. Interested in modding it? Go right ahead, all the data is there from the design.

http://www.mp3car.com/blogs/145065_Open ... dium=email
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: World's First Open Source Production Vehicle

Post by Legacy777 »

Interesting.....the only issue I see is people modding the car and causing problems with the safety systems or causing things to be inoperable because they don't know what they're doing. They'll have to build a little bit of idiot proofing into things. Cool none-the-less.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Re: World's First Open Source Production Vehicle

Post by evolutionmovement »

Yeah, this went around a few years ago. Interesting idea and I think it had its genesis here in MA. I think it depends on how much freedom there actually is to the design as far as liability would go. Were it me, that would be a bigger concern than regulation, which they can probably get around by registering it as a home built as I see no difference legally between this and what a kit car manufacturer does (but of course, I'm not a lawyer). Also, note that the factory is in AZ—a state notoriously easy to register in. Ever notice all the U-Hauls are plated AZ? It's because when the plates are taken by authorities elsewhere for safety violations, the company just asks AZ DMV for new plates and they get them. That doesn't apply much to home built cars, but it shows what a joke it is. IIRC, Mississippi is another state that's easy, where you can build a replica and register it as any year you want. MA is decidedly not an easy state. All the more reason I'm determined to do it (albeit with a back up plan).
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.