For Sale: Standalone Scan Tools

Parts and services from sanctioned vendors and businesses.

Moderator: Moderators

vrg3
Vikash

For Sale: Standalone Scan Tools

Post by vrg3 »

These are described better in another thread (http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=34119), but briefly:

Image Image Image Image Image Image

The scan tool connects to the Select Monitor diagnostic port on 91-94 North American Legacy Turbos. It graphically displays 17 different parameters, as well as displaying the ROM ID, several input and output switches, and trouble codes. It can also clear the ECU's memory, wiping out trouble codes and any learned fuel trims and knock correction. You will get the Juice Box (the color may be gray, red, or blue -- randomly chosen) and the scantool adapter.

I will try in good faith to help with any problems, but I cannot provide a warranty of any kind. I'll test the devices thoroughly before I ship them out though.

It looks like I'll be able to build three of them in the near future. I've been trying to come up with a fair way to decide who gets them, given the apparently huge interest in these devices. Maybe this isn't really necessary, but here's what I've come up with. If you would like one:

1. Please read this carefully.

2. Make a guess as to tomorrow evening's California State Lottery Pick 3 Evening Draw. You need to pick three numbers between 0 and 9 inclusively.

3. Send a PayPal payment of $260 to vikashgoel at gmail dot com, and in the "Message to Recipient" section, put your guess at the lottery numbers.

4. I will go to http://www.calottery.com/games/dailythree to check the results of Draw #7603 after 6:30 PST on Friday 21 December 2007. Treating the three numbers as a single 3-digit number, I will choose the three people with the closest guesses and refund any other payments in full before noon EST on the 22nd.

5. I will build and ship the three JuiceBoxes before the end of the year.

Now, I realize this is a lot of money. These do cost a fair bit and take a lot of time to build and test, though. Hopefully if there's a lot of interest we can work out a group buy sometime in the near future.

I also realize this is biased against people who don't use PayPal, and that it means I might end up holding on to some peoples' money for a day or so, but it still seems to me to be the fairest way to go.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Arctic Assassian
Third Gear

Post by Arctic Assassian »

holy crap, its happening, I'll never need to buy a gauge again. I need to sign up for paypal, this is my christmas present to myself!.
Kickin' it old-school.
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by douglas vincent »

I just want to buy the damn blue rag!
Reddevil, Awaiting new heart, will it ever happen?
1990 wagon, EJ25 12.3 @ 116.5 FAST Family wagon getting new motor soon
1992 wagon, wifes daily, high compression
1992 Touring wagon, should I keep it?
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

That's no rag -- it's a wool scarf!
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Arctic Assassian
Third Gear

So is that O2 sensor signal compatible with a wideband O2 sensor? Could you create an update to change the program to read a 5V signal from another source? I'm just wondering if this unit(mattel juicebox) had any other inputs that might be utilized, or if I might need to buy a new gauge when I plan to go wideband. I'm still buyingone nonetheless. Is there any way I could get a confirmation that you recieved my payment?
-Adam
Kickin' it old-school.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I did get your payment, Adam. Thanks.

The oxygen sensor signal readout comes from the ECU. The scan tool is only reporting parameters from the ECU; it doesn't read any sensors directly. So, no, it is not compatible with a wideband any more than the stock ECU is.

I do believe there are some unused ADC channels in the JuiceBox that could be adapted to interface with a wideband oxygen sensor. You'd need to scale the signal down, because I believe Vcc is 3.3 volts, and you would have to take the JuiceBox apart to connect to the relevant contacts, so this couldn't be done just in firmware.

Another option would be to add an ADC to the cartridge, which would be nice for a couple reasons; the cartridge already has a 5-volt supply on it, and you don't have to modify the JuiceBox. Still, this would require more than just firmware also.

In either case, it would have to be specific to the wideband unit you use, I'd imagine.

If you like, we could discuss the possibility of a custom unit with that kind of functionality in the future.
Last edited by vrg3 on Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
internetautomart
Second Gear

Post by internetautomart »

when you figure out N/A I'm in.
until then you turdbo guys are lucky
94 BC w/ AWD Sold 6/25/08
92 BJ Rust bucket gone
90 BC (I think) Stripper, gone since 2k
86 GL10 Turbo 4wd, Gone since 99
Arctic Assassian
Third Gear

Sounds like fun.
Kickin' it old-school.
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

Vikash,

Will you please let us know if we won the lottery? I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for an awesome Christmas present.

Thank you.
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.
stipro
Third Gear

Post by stipro »

skid542 wrote:Vikash,

Will you please let us know if we won the lottery? I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for an awesome Christmas present.

Thank you.
Me too!! :-D
1994 ABM Sport Sedan-Not stock
1990 L series/turbo-Rally project
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

Let us know when you're selling more of these.
90 L+ wgn
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

That has to be the most creative way of choosing recipients I have ever seen. :lol:

If I were planning on running the stock ECU for any longer, I would definitely pick one of these up.
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Seems like the creativity wasn't necessary. I got exactly three payments. :)

I'll be building and testing them over the next couple of days, and expect to have them in the mail by Christmas Eve.

Thanks, guys.
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Please let us know if/when you decide to make more of them? And thank you for contributing to the community.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I'll make more of them. We'll probably do a group-buy kind of thing, where I get deposits before actually building them. Keep your eyes peeled! =)
Arctic Assassian
Third Gear

YAY! I was so nervous that I wouldn't get one. Some of the techs at my work want to see it so bad, two of em have legacy turbos.
Don't think that I cant wait for a quality product... I dont want you to beat yourself up if you cant get em done. Thanks again by the way.
Kickin' it old-school.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

You know two Legacy Turbo owners that aren't on the BBS? Get 'em to sign up!
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Vikash, that is freakin' awesome that you have the ability to put something like that together. I definitely have an interest in one of these. Other wise I'll end up buying another Dtec ($229) just to monitor sensor readings.
Jason
'92 LSS "Trixie" - TD04, '06 WRX TMIC, Invidia D/P & TXS U/P, 3" APEX'i CBE, custom intake, TXS MBC & BPV
Perrin LCP, WRX & H6 brakes, S/S lines, Cusco H-brace & RSTB, AGX's, Progress springs, SimplySubie fender braces
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Looks like none of the three people who bought one of the first round actually have their cars running to use them. Funny. :)

I'm adding support for non-turbo models right now, and I'll be posting several up for sale in the next week or so. Those with the first version will be able to get firmware upgrades to the new version for free.

Watch this space!
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

Haha, yeah..., a mix of funny and sad.

Mine looks awesome though and I can't wait to use it. It's going to make a huge difference my understanding of my car's behavior.

Thank you again I'll be watching for upgrades :).
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.
Arctic Assassian
Third Gear

I'm two weeks away from having my licence back.
Kickin' it old-school.
stipro
Third Gear

Post by stipro »

vrg3 wrote:Looks like none of the three people who bought one of the first round actually have their cars running to use them. Funny. :)
In two weeks I will be home to play with the scan tool :)
1994 ABM Sport Sedan-Not stock
1990 L series/turbo-Rally project
smh0101
Fifth Gear

Post by smh0101 »

So... Any news on any more??
~Spencer
94 Legacy Turbo (550 Robtune/ej20h v2 Sti RA drivetrain)
94 Legacy Ti Wagon (5mt ej22e)
91 rhd Legacy GT Wagon (factory 5mt, ej20g)
93 rhd Legacy GT type S2 Sedan (4eat, ej20g)
91 rhd Legacy Ti Type S 1.8
03 Lincoln LS V8 Sport
08 300 SRT8
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Hopefully this week. There was a holdup with some of the parts. I have already incorporated non-turbo support, and also changed the design to supply power directly through the cartridge slot, eliminating the extra pigtail for the power port. The unit I'm testing seems to be working pretty well.

If it doesn't happen this week, it'll be the first week of February because I'm out of the country next week.
internetautomart
Second Gear

Post by internetautomart »

same price N/A or FI?
94 BC w/ AWD Sold 6/25/08
92 BJ Rust bucket gone
90 BC (I think) Stripper, gone since 2k
86 GL10 Turbo 4wd, Gone since 99