Northwind Composites - Official 90'-94' Sunroof Buy Thread

Parts and services from sanctioned vendors and businesses.

Moderator: Moderators

SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Re: Northwind Composites - Official 90'-94' Buying Thread

Post by SILINC3R »

Northwind Composites wrote:Yes it does. Option #1 will get you an insert that has the exact dimensions of the existing glass. You would simply replace the glass with the insert and everything else will work as normal.
Hey Lee,

I just replaced my glass after removing the assembly for like the 100th time to reseal it. Also when I replaced the glass I had to remove the gasket and put it on the "new" glass. That was a PITA. So, with Option 1, my understanding is that the "glass" is replaced. How do you keep a good seal without the rubber gasket? Thanks in advance.
Northwind Composites
First Gear

Re: Northwind Composites - Official 90'-94' Sunroof Buy Thre

Post by Northwind Composites »

Hwody,

Option 1 replaces the glass, and by that I mean it does just that. The thickness of the carbon insert is approximately 0.160in thick, prior to clear coat, and therefore pretty closely matches the thickness of the glass. The physical size also matches the glass - or pretty close too, I'll include a sheet of sandpaper for any final trim sanding. The intent of this is to allow the installation to match that of the installation of the glass itself.

Because this option is simply replacing the glass and all other installation details are the same, I would anticipate it's going to be a bit of a PITA too. A person could probably get creative with different rubber gaskets to try and get it to seal up better, but at the end of the day the sunroof design does not lend itself to being completely watertight, hence the factory drains. I owe goderd a PM back and am going to recommend he check out TrimLok, http://www.trimlok.com , for possible seals that might work for his desired installation method - goderd, I'm still thinking of a couple options and will get back to you this evening.

Hopefully this answers your question. If not, please let me know and I'll try to clarify.

Thank you,

Lee
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

I wonder how hard it would be to remove the glass from the frame and then rebond it. That way you keep the gasket and studs. I think you would still need to remove the gasket to remove the glass. The other option I guess would be to just bond the replacement panel to the mounts themselves that way you don't have to worry about the studs and nuts.
Northwind Composites
First Gear

Truthfully, it has been a little while since I had the assembly apart but I think both those options could work. My honest recommendation, buy one and let us know what works best :).

*Official Announcement*
The last of what I had already made has now been purchased. Therefore, if you would like one, please plan a few extra days as I will be building order from here on out.
RckyMtnLegacy
Third Gear

Post by RckyMtnLegacy »

I am going to make a full write up when I do mine. Motor swap first so someone may beat me to it.
goderd
In Neutral

Post by goderd »

Just got mine here in Ontario. Can't wait to put it in. Very impressed with the quality of this part!
Northwind Composites
First Gear

Glad to hear it made up north just fine and you're happy!

Let me know if I can do anything else for you.
Northwind Composites
First Gear

**Update**

Gentlman, the time for the price discount is rapidly closing. On 4/1/15 the price will increase to $250.00. I will happily honor the $160.00 for all orders placed prior to 4/1/15. I currently have a 1 week leadtime as well.

Please let me know if there are any questions.

Thank you,

Lee
Binford
Third Gear

Post by Binford »

So......I just missed the discount date by 2 weeks? FML! Hahaha