Northwind Composites - Official 90'-94' Sunroof Buy Thread

Parts and services from sanctioned vendors and businesses.

Moderator: Moderators

Northwind Composites
First Gear

Northwind Composites - Official 90'-94' Sunroof Buy Thread

Post by Northwind Composites »

BBS Family,

For the sake of clarity, I am starting a new thread for the sunroof inserts I'm making. I would like this thread to be specific to questions regarding pricing, materials, etc. I will create a second thread about installation details. Once these two threads are created and I have migrated over the appropriate pictures and information I will be requesting the Mod's to delete the other thread as it has both topics jumbled up and I'd like to keep this a bit cleaner. My other 'Status Update' thread will remain and active for any other inquires and general questions and updates.

So, that said, here's the scoop on the sunroofs. I have been talking with Momentive about their resin systems and we're working up some good resin systems that may open up all sorts of other opportunities for us in addition to allowing me to churn these sunroofs out a bit quicker. However, I'm probably 3-4 weeks out on those systems so I'm moving forward with my existing resin for now - awesome system, just slow processing time. Once I know more details about the new resin and test it out I'll let you know what cool new things we can do :).

Configuration Details
The current sunroof being offered in two configurations.
1. The part exactly matches the size of the existing glass. The outside periphery and thickness is matched to create a plug and play component. Each sunroof is manufactured using aerospace grade carbon fiber, fiberglass, and closed cell foam core. The exterior surface is classic 2x2 Twill Weave carbon fiber for increased aesthetics. Each part is created with a heat cured epoxy resin that is specially formulated to protect against UV degredation. To ensure structural integrity, the curing process takes place under a minimum vacuum of 24 in/Hg through the cure cycle.
2. The part is trimmed a little large. This allows it to be fitted into the open sheet metal hole in the roof and be a replacement/filler for the entire sunroof system. This is what I have done to my personal car and the other thread describes this installation and has pictures of it. Installation thread - http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=46851

Pricing
Current list price for the standard sunroof replacement is $160.00. This is a very low price and I won't be able to keep it long term but I'll hold it for at least the rest of year. All of the materials are tied to oil prices and well... yeah. However, you guys have been great and incredibly patient with me so I'm willing do my best to return the favor.

****UPDATE*** The price will increase to $250.00 for all orders not placed prior to 4/1/15.****

Please note that this price does not include a clear coat. The parts will be ready for paint and I'll get with my local painter to see what he'd charge for one of these, or you can use your own guy, or do it yourself. I can make another thread on some tips for painting composites as they do offer a few unique challenges that are easily overcome.

The pricing does not change depending on configuration style, it's just a matter of me trimming to a different trim line.

I can with you make these custom and change the pricing some depending on what you want. For instance I can make it out of all fiberglass where you'll trade a little weight for cost. I can also make it all out of carbon if you're really wanting to save every once. These are details I can go into if people are interested.

I can also use the hybrid carbon/kevlar dyed fabrics for the top layer. This is what I've done for my hood. This will cost an additional $20 due to material cost differences, and well, kevlar blows to work with and adds time to every step. I will also need to order materials as I don't have these on my fabric rack currently. But this is an option.

All sales within the state of Idaho will be subject to a 6.0% sales tax. Shipping and handling will be quoted at the time of order.

Availability
As it sits right now, I have a total of four ready for trimming. One of them has a slight cosmetic defect - a fiber strand slid under the outer ply and when it got vacuumed down it spread. It's a great part, just not aesthetically perfect and I'll get a picture posted tomorrow. Because of this, I am discounting it to a $130.

I took down the vacuum pump tonight to fix a few maintenance issues and will be up and running again late week/weekend. My cycle time right now is about one part every other day but I'm training some help, i.e. the wife, which will hopefully let me go to one part per day. Therefore, it will take me a little to fill all the orders.

I have a post below where I will be posting a waiting list. Please PM if you would like your name on the list. I am requesting the PM for the waiting list in order to keep this thread a little cleaner. First come, first serve. I will let you know when I have your part ready. I will not take payment until I have your part boxed and ready to go, no deposits here. It's the BBS and I don't work that way.

Disclaimer - You know, the legal bit courtesy my lawyer :)
All parts and other products (herein collectively the “Parts”) purchased from Northwind Composites, LLC (herein “Seller”) are subject to the following disclaimers. All Parts are arftermarket products and are strictly intended for race use only. The Parts are not intended and should not be used on street vehicles. All Parts are warranted against manufacturer’s defects only. The Parts are not warranted for wear or breakage under any circumstance. Any Part which shows evidence of being used or installed contrary to the Seller’s instructions or intended use, and/or subjected to improper handling, packaging, or shipping by the customer, shall not be eligible for exchange, refund or any other form of warranty consideration. All other or additional warranties, whether express or implied, are hereby disclaimed to the fullest extent allowed by law.

Please let me know if there are any questions, concerns, or comments I may address.

Thank you,

Lee Skidmore
lee@northwindcomp.com
208-290-5585
Last edited by Northwind Composites on Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Northwind Composites
First Gear

Re: Northwind Composites - Official 90'-94' Buying Thread

Waiting List: Again, please PM to be placed on the list. Thank you.

1) Spoken for.
2) Spoken for.
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
Last edited by Northwind Composites on Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BiNiaRiS
First Gear

Post by BiNiaRiS »

So with option #1, does that retain the ability to open and close the sunroof still?
Northwind Composites
First Gear

Yes it does. Option #1 will get you an insert that has the exact dimensions of the existing glass. You would simply replace the glass with the insert and everything else will work as normal.
RckyMtnLegacy
Third Gear

Re: Northwind Composites - Official 90'-94' Sunroof Buy Thre

Post by RckyMtnLegacy »

How are more people not jumping at this?
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

I suspect some (myself included) are patiently waiting for the hood to be done.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
RckyMtnLegacy
Third Gear

Post by RckyMtnLegacy »

Does make sense...I'm getting all three products. Just feel like any one off items like this should be picked up even if your not installing it now. May be the only time we get the chance. I can also speak from experience that his CF quality is amazing. Thanks again for my groomsmen gifts!
robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Post by robertpaige »

This is awesome.
yazmo
Third Gear

Post by yazmo »

mike-tracy wrote:I suspect some (myself included) are patiently waiting for the hood to be done.
Exactly my case! not that i am not tempted, but ill get one eventually.
Northwind Composites
First Gear

Thanks for the feedback thus far and the interest. I know you're waiting on hoods too :). I'm in the process of finishing a Nissan mold these next couple of weeks and then I should be getting the hoods moving forward. So don't worry, they're still coming.
chochocho
Second Gear

Post by chochocho »

lee, count me in for option 1 sunroof.

how much of a weight savings?
Northwind Composites
First Gear

Yat, I may have one for you early this week. Once I know for sure I'll email you with details.

As far as weight savings goes, I saved roughly 26lbs with my installation. Granted I removed everything I could that pertained to the original sunroof.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thank you.
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

I honestly didn't think it would be as much as 26lbs. That's awesome.
yazmo
Third Gear

Post by yazmo »

im getting one after chrismast countme in
and we need hood 92-94 XD
and 90-92 :P btw thx for making it happen
Northwind Composites
First Gear

Yat - Since you are wanting Option 1, I can offer the following weight data. The one I have trimmed out for James is to fill the entire opening, Option 2, and it weighs 32.6 ounces with no clear coat. I have one to replace just the glass at the painter getting clear coated and I'll weight it when I get it back. I don't have a weight on just the glass itself but assuming an approximate size of 33.25 x 17.5 x 0.125in and a density of 1.5oz/cu.in (via Dr. Google) it will weigh roughly 110 ounces (I'm assuming a thickness of 1/8in for the glass). These aren't exact numbers but will give you a ball park. I do have one that is ready to be trimmed out for you too - just let me know when you want to move forward.

James - there is a lot of weight associated with the glass, the tray, motor, and mounting hardware. I was genuinely surprised.

Yazmo - Good, I'll have one :). I had a couple family things come up last week and delayed my Nissan mold until this Friday. Once the mold is done I get a layup table back and I'll sit down and quote out the hood.
Northwind Composites
First Gear

Weight Update - I got Dan's part back from the painter today, see picture below. It came in weighing 38.6 ounces. His is trimmed for Option 1.

For those wanting their's clear coated, I need to work with the painter on some test pieces. This one came out great but there are three small pinholes/depressions that are driving my painter bonkers (he's a bit of a perfectionist, but good). His price for the next one is higher than I'm willing to leave you guys ($175) with so I'm going to be doing a little R&D on how to make life easier for him on my end. I already have a few panels laid up so it's just a matter of trying a few different resin sweeps. I'll keep you posted.

For those wanting to take care of painting on their own - it's a matter of using a squeegee to work the first coat into the tiny weave joints. From there, you sand it, re-coat, and repeat once more. And then viola - a beautiful part.

Just let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you.

yazmo
Third Gear

Post by yazmo »

looking so good
RckyMtnLegacy
Third Gear

Post by RckyMtnLegacy »

I'm so excited! That looks great sir. The 'wet' look is exactly what I wanted.
RckyMtnLegacy
Third Gear

Post by RckyMtnLegacy »

Just received mine and it is amazing! You are all missing out on this one of a kind item.
GTEASER
First Gear

Post by GTEASER »

I definitely want one, but it will be early in 2015 before I can do this. Beautiful part!!
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Take some pictures of the install and of it finished/installed. :)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
RckyMtnLegacy
Third Gear

Post by RckyMtnLegacy »

That may be awhile but I'll had pics of it up soon in my journal. Going to do EJ20G and 5 spd first.
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

Got my sunroof last week. Looks good, and weighs almost nothing. The box survived traveling across the world without any serious bangs or craziness too. Can't wait for the hood! (Even though I won't be able to use either for a couple of years :-/)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

This thread needs moar pictures.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
goderd