»  Community »  Build Journals
#Tyler's Legacy SS.... under an impreza shell

Custom Search
Login | Register

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Tyler's Legacy SS.... under an impreza shell
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:07 am 
Third Gear
Thanks Josh!
Had another nice weekend after a couple weeks of snow so I got a bit more apart.

The day started out rough with a Tweaker trying to break down my front door at 6:45am and it took the police 45 minutes to respond.

The steering rack is trashed. How I ever passed a tech inspection with the leak it had, I will never know. I spent a solid portion of the afternoon trying to clean off the thick coat of ATF-mud from the crossmember.

Speaking of the crossmember, is really love to just buy one from TSS but that will have to wait. What are people doing to reinforce these? Image

Got my JVABs apart and my co-driver blasted the paint and a little rust off. I've got to call John this week since he is avoiding my emails and PMs.

1994/5/6/01/02/03/04/06/07/08 Impregacy OUtback SS STi Type R money pit- NEW RALLYCAR!!

Last edited by bmxpunk on Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile  Offline
 Post subject: Re: Tyler's Legacy SS.... under an impreza shell
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:11 am 
Third Gear
beatersubi wrote:
I've wondered about using a steering quickener, myself. Would you mount it at the rack?

Still trying to figure out how to mount the quickener. Wish I could find a little quicker rack. Might look at that since i need to rebuild/replace my disgusting rack as is.

1994/5/6/01/02/03/04/06/07/08 Impregacy OUtback SS STi Type R money pit- NEW RALLYCAR!!

Profile  Offline
 Post subject: Tyler's Legacy SS.... under an impreza shell
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:06 pm 
Third Gear
I have sold the ESL ecu and have ordered an Alcatek Ecu(formally Simtek) from Enginetuner in the U.K.
https://8378simtek.wordpress.com/products/

Also got some inspiration in the mail today

And when this car is built I'm moving on

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:31 pm 
Fifth Gear
We should talk. I could beef up a crossmember. Or make one similar to whats commercially available.
John is as interesting guy. Very opinionated. I've had some (long) interesting conversations with him, mostly about Ford, Merkur, and Cosworth stuff. But also about him hanging up his hat on building suspension and having someone take over. He was still fairly guarded about his sources and techniques, though.
Those magazines look awesome! Where did you find them?
You're not really switching to a Mini, are you?

Originalcyn wrote:
Apparently everyone hates Gabe.

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:36 pm 
Third Gear
beatersubi wrote:
We should talk. I could beef up a crossmember. Or make one similar to whats commercially available.
John is as interesting guy. Very opinionated. I've had some (long) interesting conversations with him, mostly about Ford, Merkur, and Cosworth stuff. But also about him hanging up his hat on building suspension and having someone take over. He was still fairly guarded about his sources and techniques, though.
Those magazines look awesome! Where did you find them?
You're not really switching to a Mini, are you?

What are your thoughts on reinforcing/replacing the crossmember? I asked on one of the Facebook rally groups and was given the 3rd degree. The first handful of replies said "that's dumb, just buy a TSS," followed by "that's dumb, the factory cross member is the 'fuse' in the system. You'd rather have a bent cross member than bent frame rails right?" And finally "that's dumb, extra metal and reinforcement in the engine bay is a huge safety hazard that stuff is supposed to crush in an accident." So I handed it off to the co-driver so he could power wash it and we'd stick it back in.

The magazines are are from highpowermedia.com and came from Europe. They get fairly in depth with information. The article on Higgins current car for example they explain why VTCar uses the 2.0 instead of the 2.5, that the car has a 9.0:1 steering ratio and that nothing from the current car will cross over to the 2018 car when the rules are changed.

So I've been obsessed with the Countryman since I saw spy shots of it back in 2009 or 10. When my forester was ran over by a Cummings late last year I finally convinced the wife to let me use the insurance money toward a Countryman S All4. The car drives really well and is much easier and seems more stable and better balanced than the Impreza when you push it. It would also be much roomier with a cage while still being overall shorter than my Impreza. BUT it's not without its quirks. Long story short I dropped it off to have an oil change while I was in Denver and they called me back with a $3800 repair estimate for a fuel pump, water pump, cv joint rebuild ($1000!!!!!), front brakes and a clutch slave cylinder. The pumps ended up being under warranty and I did the brakes and axle myself for substantially less cost. But I still had a $1000 bill that day, which put me behind on hetting things finished on the rally car.
So while it would be fun, in order to build one strong enough, powerful enough, and durable enough would take a small fortune along with another small fortune to maintain it. And heading up a bike and ski shop doesn't do much for me being a "small fortune-aire" :lol:

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:28 pm 
Fifth Gear
I thought the lower arms were the fusible link. I suspect that if the crossmember is getting bent, you have bigger problems. Unless there is a weak point in its design that is bending/deforming under 'normal' rally use.

I might have to pick up a few of those magazines. They sure aren't cheap, though. 9:1 steering would be fun.

The new mini is made by BMW? That would explain the repair and maintenance cost. I picked up a $500 318i to take rallycrossing last year and was wondering if I had overpayed when it needed rear wheel bearings for ~$300 after the first event.

Originalcyn wrote:
Apparently everyone hates Gabe.

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:00 am 
Third Gear
SoCal Porting tire into my turbocharger this week. He said we caught the turbo just in time because it was suffering from oil starvation. That seemed strange to me as there is no sign on the cams and the oil pan was clean as a whistle inside. Compressor wheel wore a bit as well. Note to self replace air filters more often.

Found out today that most of my employees are finished with school so they are quitting the same day that I was supposed to leave for the first hillclimb this year. Then about 20 minutes later we found out that the permits for Rally Colorado were all declined. I'm fairly bummed out but not hat should give me an extra month to get everything else ready.

Profile  Offline

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7