»  Community »  Build Journals
#Tyler's Legacy SS.... under an impreza shell

Custom Search
Login | Register




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Tyler's Legacy SS.... under an impreza shell
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:24 am 
Fifth Gear
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:56 am
Posts: 2373
Location: 10-9-oh(!), wa
Sure don't look like three-angle grinds, do they? Tumble along the port walls actually improves flow, so leave them rough. Also port cross-section area is directly related to tq production. So, for a smaller turbo, lower-revving engine... smaller ports are better.

_________________
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds.
johndrivesabox wrote:
Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.

Originalcyn wrote:
Apparently everyone hates Gabe.


Profile  Offline
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Tyler's Legacy SS.... under an impreza shell
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:44 am 
Third Gear
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:01 am
Posts: 809
Location: Casper, WY
beatersubi wrote:
Sure don't look like three-angle grinds, do they? Tumble along the port walls actually improves flow, so leave them rough. Also port cross-section area is directly related to tq production. So, for a smaller turbo, lower-revving engine... smaller ports are better.
Rough as in you wouldn't even clean up the casting flash? I wasn't going to open them up any more just knock down the flashing and run an 80grit so the surface looked the same.

This is this engines second set of heads. The previous heads I had ported and they were opened up a lot. The throttle response with them was pretty bad...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

_________________
2011 Mini Countryman S All4
1970 Honda Ct90
2001 Forester S of Doom - mowed down by a Cummins
1994/5/6/01/02/03/04/06/07/08 Impregacy OUtback SS STi Type R money pit- NEW RALLYCAR!!


Profile  Offline
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Tyler's Legacy SS.... under an impreza shell
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:55 am 
Fifth Gear
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:56 am
Posts: 2373
Location: 10-9-oh(!), wa
bmxpunk wrote:
beatersubi wrote:
Sure don't look like three-angle grinds, do they? Tumble along the port walls actually improves flow, so leave them rough. Also port cross-section area is directly related to tq production. So, for a smaller turbo, lower-revving engine... smaller ports are better.
Rough as in you wouldn't even clean up the casting flash? I wasn't going to open them up any more just knock down the flashing and run an 80grit so the surface looked the same.

This is this engines second set of heads. The previous heads I had ported and they were opened up a lot. The throttle response with them was pretty bad...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk


I can't imagine taking the flashing off could hurt. Definitely don't polish them. But again, with a small turbo and low redline, you'd want smaller ports for better response and tq output. It gets pretty subjective and theoretical right around this point.

_________________
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds.
johndrivesabox wrote:
Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.

Originalcyn wrote:
Apparently everyone hates Gabe.


Profile  Offline
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Tyler's Legacy SS.... under an impreza shell
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:39 am 
Third Gear
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:01 am
Posts: 809
Location: Casper, WY
beatersubi wrote:
bmxpunk wrote:
beatersubi wrote:
Sure don't look like three-angle grinds, do they? Tumble along the port walls actually improves flow, so leave them rough. Also port cross-section area is directly related to tq production. So, for a smaller turbo, lower-revving engine... smaller ports are better.
Rough as in you wouldn't even clean up the casting flash? I wasn't going to open them up any more just knock down the flashing and run an 80grit so the surface looked the same.

This is this engines second set of heads. The previous heads I had ported and they were opened up a lot. The throttle response with them was pretty bad...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk


I can't imagine taking the flashing off could hurt. Definitely don't polish them. But again, with a small turbo and low redline, you'd want smaller ports for better response and tq output. It gets pretty subjective and theoretical right around this point.
Yeah. I ran across Prodrive flow number of their heads last year. Like an idiot I didn't save or bookmark them. They definitely flowed less cfm than stock (especially on the intake side) so I assume velocity is key. I think the only other thing I noticed was the dogleg exhaust port flow number was closer to the straight port.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

_________________
2011 Mini Countryman S All4
1970 Honda Ct90
2001 Forester S of Doom - mowed down by a Cummins
1994/5/6/01/02/03/04/06/07/08 Impregacy OUtback SS STi Type R money pit- NEW RALLYCAR!!


Profile  Offline
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Tyler's Legacy SS.... under an impreza shell
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:25 am 
Third Gear
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:01 am
Posts: 809
Location: Casper, WY
Received the rotating assembly back this morning. It is completely balanced to within 0.2 gram.
I think that means everything can start going back together.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

_________________
2011 Mini Countryman S All4
1970 Honda Ct90
2001 Forester S of Doom - mowed down by a Cummins
1994/5/6/01/02/03/04/06/07/08 Impregacy OUtback SS STi Type R money pit- NEW RALLYCAR!!


Profile  Offline
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Tyler's Legacy SS.... under an impreza shell
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:50 am 
Third Gear
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:01 am
Posts: 809
Location: Casper, WY
Inconel exhaust valves arrived today from Supertech.  SEVI-1016 for anyone interested (ej25d/ej20g fitament)

Taking my sweet time cleaning up the ports without removing anymore material than needed.

Also ordered some new fuel rails. Not sure where opinion stands anymore on series vs parallel. Most of what I have seen lately seems to say at the 300 I'll be maxed out at, it just won't be worth it. I also wouldn't have considered new rails but the parallel fuel lines I made so long ago take up a lot of room and there's always the nagging worry of fire.
Image
Image

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

_________________
2011 Mini Countryman S All4
1970 Honda Ct90
2001 Forester S of Doom - mowed down by a Cummins
1994/5/6/01/02/03/04/06/07/08 Impregacy OUtback SS STi Type R money pit- NEW RALLYCAR!!


Profile  Offline
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Tyler's Legacy SS.... under an impreza shell
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:43 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2002 11:37 am
Posts: 27419
Location: Houston, Tx
I looked at doing the parallel fuel rail mod and decided against it primarily due to the space. There just really isn't much room to do that modification without it taking up a lot more room. I think with a good flowing fuel pump and safe tuning the series setup should be fine.

_________________
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
1997 Impreza OBS

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm


Profile  Offline
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Tyler's Legacy SS.... under an impreza shell
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:01 pm 
Third Gear
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:01 am
Posts: 809
Location: Casper, WY
Legacy777 wrote:
I looked at doing the parallel fuel rail mod and decided against it primarily due to the space. There just really isn't much room to do that modification without it taking up a lot more room. I think with a good flowing fuel pump and safe tuning the series setup should be fine.
I've been parallel since this was built but never saw a reason why it eclipsed the stock setup. And I agree it takes up so much real estate.

When you say good flowing, do you mean Walbro or something better?



Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

_________________
2011 Mini Countryman S All4
1970 Honda Ct90
2001 Forester S of Doom - mowed down by a Cummins
1994/5/6/01/02/03/04/06/07/08 Impregacy OUtback SS STi Type R money pit- NEW RALLYCAR!!


Profile  Offline
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Tyler's Legacy SS.... under an impreza shell
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:46 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2002 11:37 am
Posts: 27419
Location: Houston, Tx
Yeah, a Walbro 255 lph should be good up to 350-400 hp depending on your setup.

_________________
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
1997 Impreza OBS

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm


Profile  Offline
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Tyler's Legacy SS.... under an impreza shell
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:24 pm 
Third Gear
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:01 am
Posts: 809
Location: Casper, WY
The uppipe and turbine housing came back from Swaintech today. The Supertech intake valves should be here later this week and I can start figuring out springs, retainers, and buckets.

And just as things start coming together my co-driver was pushing someone's car over the weekend and snapped his Achilles tendon which I think has a super long recovery time. If it's not one thing...

Image

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

_________________
2011 Mini Countryman S All4
1970 Honda Ct90
2001 Forester S of Doom - mowed down by a Cummins
1994/5/6/01/02/03/04/06/07/08 Impregacy OUtback SS STi Type R money pit- NEW RALLYCAR!!


Profile  Offline
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Tyler's Legacy SS.... under an impreza shell
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:14 pm 
Fifth Gear
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:56 am
Posts: 2373
Location: 10-9-oh(!), wa
Those valves are sexy! Coating looks good, too.
I'd be interested in before/after pictures of the ports, if you have any.
Sorry to hear about your co-driver. If you end up needing a co-driver and want to fly me out...

_________________
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds.
johndrivesabox wrote:
Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.

Originalcyn wrote:
Apparently everyone hates Gabe.


Profile  Offline
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Tyler's Legacy SS.... under an impreza shell
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:34 am 
Third Gear
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:01 am
Posts: 809
Location: Casper, WY
beatersubi wrote:
Those valves are sexy! Coating looks good, too.
I'd be interested in before/after pictures of the ports, if you have any.
Sorry to hear about your co-driver. If you end up needing a co-driver and want to fly me out...
I appreciate it! Get the car running first and I'll go from there.
Had about 1:15 minutes of free time today so I started to clean up the intake manifold. I didnt figure I would have time to finish the heads, but maybe later this week.


Start with a before and after. New fuel rails mocked up, but I need to do something different with at least 1 fitting and probably the line, but it's a good bit cleaner.

I think I can reroute some of the harness as well to have the 3 main electrical connectors at the rear of the engine. This makes sense since I already to the main harness out of the front fender and coming through the fire wall so it won't get taken out by a shredded tire or a fender crushing incident.

According to the tuner I got my ecu from, I will remove the piping from the turbo inlet to the IAC for 2 reasons. The first being I now have a Prodrive style motorsport turbo inlet that has no additional attachments for pcv/IAC/bpv etc. Also the tuner said going from the cold side of the intercooler or charge pipe to the IAC which will double for idle and part of the anti-lag system.
Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

_________________
2011 Mini Countryman S All4
1970 Honda Ct90
2001 Forester S of Doom - mowed down by a Cummins
1994/5/6/01/02/03/04/06/07/08 Impregacy OUtback SS STi Type R money pit- NEW RALLYCAR!!


Profile  Offline
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Tyler's Legacy SS.... under an impreza shell
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:51 am 
Fifth Gear
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:56 am
Posts: 2373
Location: 10-9-oh(!), wa
bmxpunk wrote:

According to the tuner I got my ecu from, I will remove the piping from the turbo inlet to the IAC for 2 reasons. The first being I now have a Prodrive style motorsport turbo inlet that has no additional attachments for pcv/IAC/bpv etc. Also the tuner said going from the cold side of the intercooler or charge pipe to the IAC which will double for idle and part of the anti-lag system.


I find this interesting. Does having post-turbo air move through the IAC provide that much more volume? Or eliminate the potential of having manifold pressure feed back through the IAC to pre-turbo.

That fuel rail looks a lot more concise.

_________________
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds.
johndrivesabox wrote:
Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.

Originalcyn wrote:
Apparently everyone hates Gabe.


Profile  Offline
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Tyler's Legacy SS.... under an impreza shell
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:41 am 
Third Gear
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:01 am
Posts: 809
Location: Casper, WY
beatersubi wrote:
bmxpunk wrote:

According to the tuner I got my ecu from, I will remove the piping from the turbo inlet to the IAC for 2 reasons. The first being I now have a Prodrive style motorsport turbo inlet that has no additional attachments for pcv/IAC/bpv etc. Also the tuner said going from the cold side of the intercooler or charge pipe to the IAC which will double for idle and part of the anti-lag system.


I find this interesting. Does having post-turbo air move through the IAC provide that much more volume? Or eliminate the potential of having manifold pressure feed back through the IAC to pre-turbo.

That fuel rail looks a lot more concise.



I didn't ask much regarding the IAC/ALS setup at the time of ordering my ecu so I will have to revisit those questions soon. I wouldn't think the IAC would have enough volume buy maybe along with barely cracking the throttle plate open possibly??

The Prodrive Mini rallycross car has about the closest I have seen to that setup, though it's more like 2 parallel throttle bodies. At fist I thought 1 tb just sent air from the charge pipe to the turbine side but you can see the piping goes right back into the charge pipe headed to the intake manifold. Photo below from Received Engine Tech's sister magazine Rally Technology.
Image




I also realized I need to figure out PCV now that the stock setup isn't really an option. I know have a vent in each valve cover, the big vent (return?) on the rear of the block, and the pcv valve in the intake manifold just below the throttle body.
Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

_________________
2011 Mini Countryman S All4
1970 Honda Ct90
2001 Forester S of Doom - mowed down by a Cummins
1994/5/6/01/02/03/04/06/07/08 Impregacy OUtback SS STi Type R money pit- NEW RALLYCAR!!


Profile  Offline
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Tyler's Legacy SS.... under an impreza shell
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:56 am 
Fifth Gear
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:56 am
Posts: 2373
Location: 10-9-oh(!), wa
That dual TB almost looks like something out of a Ford. I might have to subscribe to that magazine.

You considering a catch can? With as much time is spend in positive manifold pressure, it's probably a good idea.

_________________
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds.
johndrivesabox wrote:
Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.

Originalcyn wrote:
Apparently everyone hates Gabe.


Profile  Offline
Reply with quote  

Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests

Panel

Top You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
Search for:
Jump to:  

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Dizayn Ercan Koc