Zach's Legacy FrankenSTIn TW

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Dan, what if you used a 90* silicone piece on the IC inlet and connect that to the straight hard pipe from the turbo outlet? That way it would allow for a little more flex room around the headlight. Although, it might actually get squeezed a bit, which would negate the 3" piping all the way through...
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

soooo zach you have any other performance parts I might be interested in? I got my boost controller in, alot easier than I expected, just waiting on that K&N and IC install but its getting fuckin cold out lol
1991 Subaru Legacy SS 5MT: Revtronix Stage 2 Set-up with a few other "tasteful" mods :D
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

matt i will give you a call later tonight, if you have 90-91 leg T i have PREMIUM clear headlight lenses for you fo FREE. might have some other stuff too. ill give you an update.

-----

In other news i really need a tune, i mean its not terrible but its terrible.[/b]
i am trying to think of a way to improve my AFRs (without) driving ten hours back to portland/Seattle/anywhere that is that far away.

The best thing i can think of doing is really to get an E tune or a remote tune or something? i emailed Domtune and tim @ surgeline begging for help basically.

i cant even imagine what this car is capable of once it gets a tune. its going to be ridiculous.

seriously though, if anyone has any ideas about nearby locations of AEM tuners, or can lead me in any positive direction i would really appreciate it.

thanks guys, :-D
Last edited by SubaruNation on Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

damn... you are making me wish I could have gotten a ride :( lol. yea definately give me a call, I could definately use those headlights I was just about to buy a kit to clear mine. Definately dont know of ANY tuners in the MT area though... sorry
1991 Subaru Legacy SS 5MT: Revtronix Stage 2 Set-up with a few other "tasteful" mods :D
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

I don't see why the type of EMS is an issue. A good tuner can work with anything. Fuel is always fuel and timing is always timing. That never changes.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

true but for some reason people, or at least the ones i have encountered are intimidated and/or afraid of the AEM.

i mean yeah sure its epic and everything but i think you are right. the interface itself, AEM Pro is alot more complicated than other interfaces i think also.

The type of EMS is an issue also, at least from what i have learned, because "tuners" get attached and more skilled with a single type of EMS, and don't stray from it for some reason.

maybe its a behavioral thing, maybe its demand. we may never know, but i just know that nobody does AEM near me

LAME

dan if you are comfortable you can just go ahead and tune it for me then :smt040

and i'm REALLY hoping that lance from surgeline gets back to me soon and we are able to work something out.
Last edited by SubaruNation on Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
smh0101
Fifth Gear

Post by smh0101 »

And also to Brydon:

Dear Sir,

I sincerly hope your electrical skills have improved over the job you did on Brandons old car. That wiring was horrible.

A total and complete cluster fuck... I mean come on... You cant even put a connector on the throttle position sensor? RTV the wires in?

Sheesh

:D
~Spencer
94 Legacy Turbo (550 Robtune/ej20h v2 Sti RA drivetrain)
94 Legacy Ti Wagon (5mt ej22e)
91 rhd Legacy GT Wagon (factory 5mt, ej20g)
93 rhd Legacy GT type S2 Sedan (4eat, ej20g)
91 rhd Legacy Ti Type S 1.8
03 Lincoln LS V8 Sport
08 300 SRT8
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

SubaruNation wrote:true but for some reason people, or at least the ones i have encountered are intimidated and/or afraid of the AEM.

i mean yeah sure its epic and everything but i think you are right. the interface itself, AEM Pro is alot more complicated than other interfaces i think also.

The type of EMS is an issue also, at least from what i have learned, because "tuners" get attached and more skilled with a single type of EMS, and don't stray from it for some reason.

maybe its a behavioral thing, maybe its demand. we may never know, but i just know that nobody does AEM near me in MT.

LAME

dan if you are comfortable you can just go ahead and tune it for me then :smt040

and i'm REALLY hoping that lance from surgeline gets back to me soon and we are able to work something out.

The Hydra's software seems to be written by monkeys, so I think I can work with anything at this point. Link is a godsend compared to that.

Honestly, they all do the same thing, just in a different way. If a tuner says they can work with one system and not another, I would run away. They are not a professional.

The protuners that I consulted with said they could work with any system. Jeorge (sp) from P&L wasn't afraid of any platform. Either is our local guy, Ronnie from RS motors. Both do fantastic work. If they say they can't work with a system, they are basically telling you they aren't willing to spend the time to figure it out. So stay away.
→Dan

klin7757
First Gear

Post by klin7757 »

Megasquirt is my new found interest, specifically the DIYPNP. Sure there are some issues to be dealt with, but after reading (and by that I mean a lot of reading) it's promising. They now have sequential injection and enough proto area left over for our stock 3 wire IAC to run off of (my configuration, but still other options available). It takes some work, but it's definitely better than a piggy in my opinion.
94TW red.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

93forestpearl wrote:The Hydra's software seems to be written by monkeys, so I think I can work with anything at this point. Link is a godsend compared to that.

Honestly, they all do the same thing, just in a different way. If a tuner says they can work with one system and not another, I would run away. They are not a professional.

The protuners that I consulted with said they could work with any system. Jeorge (sp) from P&L wasn't afraid of any platform. Either is our local guy, Ronnie from RS motors. Both do fantastic work. If they say they can't work with a system, they are basically telling you they aren't willing to spend the time to figure it out. So stay away.
I agree mostly with what you say Dan. However I've experienced two "tuners" that I don't feel spent enough time getting to know the software to really tune my car to its full potential.

The Link software really is quite good. The G4 based stuff has quite a bit more flexibility/configuration which adds to the complexity. But it's still managable. I've been impressed with the G4's ability for individual cylinder knock control. Cylinder 4 pulled the max configured timing and the other three kept chugging along without a problem. I really didn't even notice it. Previously, I noticed when it would pull timing on all the cylinders. Needless to say it needs more fuel in that particular area of the MAP ;)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

did some research today and there is seriously nobody within 9 hours that is able to tune my car. :cry:

i contacted AEM and spoke to travis, who gave me some leads on individuals to contact.

still hoping for some magic :-D

and yeah dan and josh, totally with you.

im def not comfortable messin with this stuff myself.
Last edited by SubaruNation on Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Legacy777 wrote: I agree mostly with what you say Dan. However I've experienced two "tuners" that I don't feel spent enough time getting to know the software to really tune my car to its full potential.

The Link software really is quite good. The G4 based stuff has quite a bit more flexibility/configuration which adds to the complexity. But it's still managable. I've been impressed with the G4's ability for individual cylinder knock control. Cylinder 4 pulled the max configured timing and the other three kept chugging along without a problem. I really didn't even notice it. Previously, I noticed when it would pull timing on all the cylinders. Needless to say it needs more fuel in that particular area of the MAP ;)

Unfortunately, as with anything else, if someone has the tools that doesn't mean they posess the skills necessary to use them effectively. This has become more and more apparent to me over time. Its not necessarily limited to the automotive world either. I wish I had $1 for every engineer I've met over time that couldn't problem-solve their way out of a wet paper bag.

I'm definitely going to change to the G4 software before i get mine on the road. Sounds like it has a lot of useful features.

Anyways, keep your head up. You'll find someone capable.
→Dan

SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

SOOO update:

1. Domtune FTW. (maxwell power services)
Maxwell Power Services site
he is going to make me a new map for for the aem since
Brydons basemap needs alot of work
I sent him the datalogs and the existing map and said the exact same thing, "this shit is terrible" to quote exactly.

That quote made me feel good inside actually. :-D

99. Surgeline tuning for the loss. Tim refused to remote tune/ tweak my basemap because "its a painstaking process that requires hands-on labor with the car."
Last edited by SubaruNation on Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

Don't be so negative about Surgeline Tuning and their opinion on the condition of your current tune. Sounds like Tim's preference would be to have your car on site to input data to the EM and check results on the dyno in process. Just a difference in tactics heading to the same end result. I am very familiar with both MPS and Surgeline Tuning. They are both very capable.
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

my negativity is that they have not even offered to look at my cal or datalogs really.

we are in the process of discussing the issue right now so my previous post may be in vain :roll:

we'll see, but seriously...seriously with the quote from them.
with all dependencies consistant and at par, the tune will work no problem remotely.

style does make a big difference i guess but if you are "that good" it really shouldnt be an issue, especially if he has tuned trillions of cars and had the experience to apply.

knowledge->experience->application knowledge -> standardization
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Dom Tune FTW. A few of my friends had their cars tuned by him and damn do they make amazing power!
-Aaron

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

JUST put the DomTune on my car and holy god wwwwowee everything is like PERFECT up to 4k in about every gear then it goes lean. but before i was basically idling and living life lean... so green is so good.

my afrs are wwwway better!

damn i cant even imagine what its going to be like when i hit up the dyno! aaaaahh! SSSO SIIK!

I'm only hitting like 9lbs of boost and its redic!!??!

HIGHLY recommended domtune, without a doubt. i will more than likely visit him this spring/summer for teh actual session because he did an amazing job so far with this.

seriously wow. :smt040
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Tooooold you :D

Haha. Can he fix the lean past 4k RPM for you?
-Aaron

SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

we are working on that right now, i gave him some info regarding what happens and at what throttle, and he will get back to me with what he thinks.

Aaron you were right, and a couple of my buddies locally recommended the same thing.
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Vedy vedy nice. Lol.

Random question: is your EWG plumbed back into your exhaust or is it atmospheric?
-Aaron

SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

asc_up wrote:Vedy vedy nice. Lol.

Random question: is your EWG plumbed back into your exhaust or is it atmospheric?
It was atmospheric and then i figured that was bad and contributing to my infinity 32lb boost problem :? , so i made it dump into the downpipe... but that didnt do anything other than slow spool i think.
it's still like that, i might take the screws connecting the two out and see what happens after i find my boost leak i randomly have all of a sudden, that i dont think is from the tune.

I also need to find a quality manual boost controller. the Blitz EBC for some reason doesn't control or stop the boost from increasing off into the sunset, and i really dont want to mess with wiring in a new EBC at all.
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Go back to atmospheric, gives you a little more power AND it scares the Hell out of anyone with their window rolled down :twisted:
-Aaron

brando
First Gear

Post by brando »

smh0101 wrote:And also to Brydon:

Dear Sir,

I sincerly hope your electrical skills have improved over the job you did on Brandons old car. That wiring was horrible.

A total and complete cluster fuck... I mean come on... You cant even put a connector on the throttle position sensor? RTV the wires in?

Sheesh

:D
You're funny!
1998 GT
1994 GT
brando
First Gear

Post by brando »

I think it is funny that you and Spencer are calling brydon out for making sure your car didn't run lean or have early detonation. He was not going to tune your car for free... He was making sure you could drive it home safely. Do you remember the first thing I told you when I sold you the car???? You need to sett aside $350+ dollars and get the car tuned at horsepower freaks in Portland before you it drive home. Brydon did a basic tune so you wouldn't blow your car up. He wasn't tuning for power, he was tuning to make sure you didn't get stranded in BFE with a car you know nothing about. Any respectable tuner, that has access to a four dyno can tune your car. You just have to spend the money. And spencer, yes there were short cuts taken on the car, but before you point the finger at brydon, it was my decision not buy another wrx engine harness for the TPS sensor clip I personally had to stop putting so much money in this project I reached my end with it, And believe me you will understand some day when you've spent money I've spent on this car, so please refrain from making false statements with out the facts.
1998 GT
1994 GT
smh0101
Fifth Gear

Post by smh0101 »

My issue wasnt with the tune... I understood completely that it was a base map and mainly just to get him home...

But me and Dave were lookin at the wiring going WTF? It wasnt just the TPS Connector (which you could have run to Leo or Dave when he was at rallitek to get one)
~Spencer
94 Legacy Turbo (550 Robtune/ej20h v2 Sti RA drivetrain)
94 Legacy Ti Wagon (5mt ej22e)
91 rhd Legacy GT Wagon (factory 5mt, ej20g)
93 rhd Legacy GT type S2 Sedan (4eat, ej20g)
91 rhd Legacy Ti Type S 1.8
03 Lincoln LS V8 Sport
08 300 SRT8