Tyler's Legacy SS.... under an impreza shell

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

mike-tracy

Re: Tyler's Legacy SS.... under an impreza shell

Post by mike-tracy »

beatersubi wrote:Have you considered a de-power of the rack? That would eliminate a lot of parts and potential problems.

O man, I took my SS to Oregon Trail Rally a couple years back without working power steering, and HOLEEE SHEET that sucked!
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

Been a while since I have even touched the car. My bosses are getting a divorce thus my job is up in the air right now so my plans of rally Idaho are sidelined again this year. I figure I can at least do some no-cost upgrades to the car in the mean time. I started tearing out the radiator support I crushed 12 years ago, hope to finish it tomorrow. I am thinking of making separate radiator support and skid plate mount out of tubing and plating the frame rails. Was nice that things started to snap back once I started cutting bent parts out. I also got a new thicker skid plate last year that I can finally mount.
2011 Mini Countryman S All4
1970 Honda Ct90
2001 Forester S of Doom - mowed down by a Cummins
1994/5/6/01/02/03/04/06/07/08 Impregacy OUtback SS STi Type R money pit- NEW RALLYCAR!!
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

What do I do with the rest of it? Would it be wise or ill-advised to cut out the crumpled sheet metal below the headlights? Can that space be used for anything useful like oil or power steering cooler? I need to add a tow hook while I am in there somewhere.

What's everyone doing with the wiring that runs across the lower support?
1970 Honda Ct90
1994/5/6/01/02/03/04/06/07/08 Impregacy OUtback SS STi Type R money pit- NEW RALLYCAR!!
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

You could attach a piece of round tube between the frame rails to act as a skid plate mount. It'd probably be better to have it bolt in with all the abuse it'll take.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

Do you need a new oem replacement support?
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

beatersubi wrote:You could attach a piece of round tube between the frame rails to act as a skid plate mount. It'd probably be better to have it bolt in with all the abuse it'll take.
That's the plan. The guys who built my cage are bending me up some metal and I should have it today. Still debating between welding and bolting, they have done both bolting and welding and didn't have a preference.

Then I will build a separate support strictly for holding the radiator behind it. Might do that out of aluminum and bolt in.
1970 Honda Ct90
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

I am employed again! That means back to work on the car finally even though I won't get to use it much this coming year I hope to make 2 hill climbs in 2016 and I would be thrilled.

Finally received this bent up tube and now I am trying to decide how to use it, either as the radiator support or mount it further back just in front of the oil pan and use it strictly as a mount for the skid plate and use something else (spare 1.25" tubing I already have?).

I also tore out the pedal box in order to stiffen up its mount. The pedestal I made for it before was 16g plate that was bent up and I think my braking issues stemmed from the flex in that plate.

1970 Honda Ct90
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

Tilton pedal assembly showed up today. Time to create a new mount and see if I can improve braking. I also purchased a front mount intercooler but have yet to see it. Time to get ready for 2016!

1970 Honda Ct90
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

ImageImageImage

Well the first set of Tilton pedals didn't fit so I had to go back to the underfoot setup. 1 week to go to the first hill climb of the year...
1970 Honda Ct90
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

Not to shabby for a guy who runs a bike shop eh? First event in 3 years is 2 weeks away! Image
1970 Honda Ct90
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

That looks really good, however...
I would be concerned about using the radiator lower support and the crash bar. Its likely much stronger than the stock piece, but I've seen too many of them take out the radiator after bottoming the front or an aggressive water crossing. Additional skid plate support is highly recommended.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

beatersubi wrote:That looks really good, however...
I would be concerned about using the radiator lower support and the crash bar. Its likely much stronger than the stock piece, but I've seen too many of them take out the radiator after bottoming the front or an aggressive water crossing. Additional skid plate support is highly recommended.
I do have additional mounting for the skidplate in the plan.

So rally America released their 2017 calendar and Rally Colorado is on the list as well as Rally Wyoming! I've always dreamed of a rally in my home state. Also, the shop in Denver that did my cage, Rally.build, is hoping to put on another smaller rally in my home town at the end of September.

So the car came apart last week and I am going through everything to be better prepared for back to back to back rallies. And if any of those fall through, this year's Colorado Hill Climb calendar looks good too. Lands End may be back and may run in its 14 mile form (or maybe that's the collective wish)[emoji869]

Have some sorting to do with the wiring harness and hoping to clean it up more so it's easier to work with and can hopefully route it away from heat better.

I also pulled the engine to go through it and repair some things. It has to have the turbo rebuilt and a restrictor installed, its burning a bit of oil and the pcv system needs cleaned up and simplified, it got hot enough in the engine bay to warp the bottom of the timing cover, I think I want to start with a fresh clutch and consider a lighter flywheel. Image

Then it's on to underbody protection and repairing the drivetrain. Either the driveline is making noise or the center diff is. Either way both will be gone through and the viscous coupling probably needs replaced. Has anyone used a 1 piece steel driveshaft? Our openlight car had the aluminum one and it was noticeable.

The Jvab struts must come out and be corrected. The front camber won't go any less than +0.5* which is annoying. I also need to make sure they aren't bent since my friend got his at the same time and his were bent out of the box. I've been told that once I get the car aligned to tack weld the mounting washers to the strut bodies since they like to slip alignment. Seems like a cheaper solution than spending $$$ on the camber washers from ohlins or whoever.

Finally, I will have some 4 pot brakes in my hands tomorrow to throw in the mix.

What else am I missing?
1970 Honda Ct90
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

More pictures :)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

Legacy777 wrote:Sounds pretty nice Tyler!

Yeah, post some pics when you get a chance.
Ha ha! 4 years ago to the day you said the same thing :lol:
1970 Honda Ct90
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Hahaha....I guess I want more picture ;)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Lots of work ahead. A lightweight flywheel is a good thing.
Re the alignment: have you considered adjustable upper mounts? Strange that the JVABs are so out. Have you consulted John about it? His workmanship is usually very good.
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

beatersubi wrote:Lots of work ahead. A lightweight flywheel is a good thing.
Re the alignment: have you considered adjustable upper mounts? Strange that the JVABs are so out. Have you consulted John about it? His workmanship is usually very good.
I did get ahold of John immediately. He told me there was nothing wrong with it my car having positive camber. I received mine around the same time USUK racing got there's and sent them back for a similar issue. IThere were a few of us in the Colorado area that got struts the same time from John and I was the smallest issue. My friend Ryan's inserts weren't straight from the start and they just went back to John and that's only the start of the story.

My struts also touch the tire in the rear with all the wheels I have tried from subaru/team Dynamics/some other no name wheels I have.

This week I found a phase 1 STi 20kg center diff that I plan to pick up soon as well. I think a bearing or two in my tail section are going bad so I'll have it apart anyway.

I'm really stuck on underbody protection right now between hdpe, diy Kevlar, and aluminum.
1970 Honda Ct90
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

Weather was NASTY today and my "garage" fits my engine, toolbox, and a snow shovel so no work on the body was done today. I did pull the steering column and hack off all the brackets that aren't used. Now there is Less stuff to stab me if something goes terribly bad.
Kicking around the idea of a 1.5:1 Coleman quickener while everything is out. Image

Brakes got here and I need to order a rebuild kit. Also need to get a tap to dig out the 1 bolt that had to be drilled out :/
1970 Honda Ct90
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

Somebody surprised me with a new skid plate that They decided they didn't want.

In other news I got the broken/stuck bolt from the 4pot calipers. Pretty excited to have a set of 4pots with rebuild kit for 1/2 of what they normally go for used. Need to decide on rotors then sell my current RS calipers/rotors/R4 pads.
1970 Honda Ct90
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

I understand about having to dodge the weather. I can get downright frustrating.
I've wondered about using a steering quickener, myself. Would you mount it at the rack?
Too bad about JV, hope he's not losing his edge. He was at least very knowledgeable about suspension at one time.
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

Came across an STI 20kg center diff for the older gear boxes which someone in Colorado had just sitting around.
All other progress has been put on hold because of weather and unforeseen maintenance on my Mini that would have paid fully for another event this year. :/

Has anyone done any repair work, lengthening or shortening of the shielded wiring in the harness? Is it possible?
1970 Honda Ct90
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Interesting, is that a VLSD center diff?

As far as the shielded wiring, I think as long as you're shortening it, you could use the stock wires. If lengthening, you'd be better off running a whole new wire, imo. I had a terrible time chasing a ghost - literally one strand of the shielding was touching the signal wire, making my whole car run like doggy doo. Once I re-repaired it (the crank sensor wire of course), all was well.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I completely agree about replacing the shielding wire if extending.

Check out this thread for options.

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=55288
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

Thanks Josh!
Had another nice weekend after a couple weeks of snow so I got a bit more apart.

The day started out rough with a Tweaker trying to break down my front door at 6:45am and it took the police 45 minutes to respond.

The steering rack is trashed. How I ever passed a tech inspection with the leak it had, I will never know. I spent a solid portion of the afternoon trying to clean off the thick coat of ATF-mud from the crossmember.

Speaking of the crossmember, is really love to just buy one from TSS but that will have to wait. What are people doing to reinforce these? Image

Got my JVABs apart and my co-driver blasted the paint and a little rust off. I've got to call John this week since he is avoiding my emails and PMs.

Last edited by bmxpunk on Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
1970 Honda Ct90
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

beatersubi wrote: I've wondered about using a steering quickener, myself. Would you mount it at the rack?
Still trying to figure out how to mount the quickener. Wish I could find a little quicker rack. Might look at that since i need to rebuild/replace my disgusting rack as is.
1970 Honda Ct90