Tyler's Legacy SS.... under an impreza shell

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

Well I figured out the cause of my oil leak. Positive pressure in my crank case due to my plugging the vent just infront of my water pipe. Now if this is being cause by excessive blow-by, I am not sure. THe pressure in the case blew past either the valve cover gasket or blew out the rtv sealant around the oil return port from the turbo. THe pressure was enough to pop out the freeze plug i had pressed into the whole where the vent once was.

I need to remove my intake manifold and my water pipe and see If I can remove any material from the water pipe on top of the block to refit the stock vent.

From here I don't know wheter to go straight up and "T" into the pcv system or if I should figure something different with air/ oil seperators.

SO to those doing the DOHC don't plug the PCV vent in the middle of your block.
2011 Mini Countryman S All4
1970 Honda Ct90
2001 Forester S of Doom - mowed down by a Cummins
1994/5/6/01/02/03/04/06/07/08 Impregacy OUtback SS STi Type R money pit- NEW RALLYCAR!!
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I can't see having that vent on the top of the block plugged being the only cause. That is primarily an equalization vent IMO. The PCV system is what ventalates the crankcase pressure.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

OK, working on the car right now.

So far pulled the intercooler which we have oil in. YEAH!!! oh, wait...

Performed leak down and compression tests:

Compression:
#1 140psi
#2 145psi
#3 145psi
#4 145 psi

Leak down (remember only 600miles)
#1 2%
#2 <1%
#3 2%
#4 2%

Someone at the shop suggested that my turbo blew a seal. Is it possible that it blew the seal and (for lack of description or understanding) is pressurizing the oil system. The oil leaks are coming from around the turbo particularly the return line.

Thoughts?
1970 Honda Ct90
1994/5/6/01/02/03/04/06/07/08 Impregacy OUtback SS STi Type R money pit- NEW RALLYCAR!!
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

did you replace your PCV valve?

Is there oil in the line before the turbo?
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

Pcv valve is brand new.

THere is no oil in the pcv lines
1970 Honda Ct90
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

no no the part of the intake BEFORE the turbo.
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

Ran out of time will Check in the morning.
1970 Honda Ct90
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

Still cant find anything.

Was playing with a PCV vavle last night (the one on the car and a new one, actually) and just blowing through them i can't get it to seal, so when there is positive pressure in the manifold the crankcase is being pressurized. I read about this happening to a 1.8T audi. His solution was to put a oneway checkvalve in line between the crankcase and pcv.
So its an "out there" solution but I will try it. I cut the checkvalve from the line that runs to the brake booster (i have a few spares) and I crammed it into the line between the PCV vavle and the the rear crank case vent. I am installing it now. So I should still have vacuum to the crankcase but hopefully won't pressurize it. We will see.

So....

50 miles and a lot of that in boost. and no oil spray anywhere so far, front vent Plug is staying in the block, no more leaking oil around valve covers.

Still thinking about doing an air oil seperator, just to be sure.
1970 Honda Ct90
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

And 80 miles later I am back in the same boat.

Just got back from a drive. It was windy and rainy so I didn't notice until I got back, but mayhem unleashed under the hood.

The plug in the front vent hole is gone. There was enough pressure to spray out enough oil all over the top of the engine, the dipstick was dry when I checked it. Car started to bobble again like oil in the intercooler.

What the hell is going on? I have identified that the rings are sealing correctly and that there is no pressure coming from my manifold back into the crankcase. I am running out of ideas
1970 Honda Ct90
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

Well I have moved from one problem on to the next.
I cleared up teh pcv issue,and as someone else mentioned, I didn't plug the center vent well enough. I removed the manifold, installed a new plug, new pcv valve and added another check valve and its been good to go so far.

Some one backed into me though and smashed my driver's front fender. Its only cosmetic but I am having a hard time finding a matching fender.

After replacing a few knock sensors due to a CEL, I believe there is something wrong with the wiring between the sensor and the ECU. I hope to find out tomorrow but in the mean time, the car has been pulling 32* of timing. This explains the low rpm lack of response and the horrible fuel economy.

In the mean time its back to working on the rally car. New Tranny (thanks Matt/ Gaurd Transmission) cooling system, brakes, and tires. So much to do, so few days till Rally Colorado!!
1970 Honda Ct90
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Re: Tyler's Legacy SS.... under an impreza shell

Post by bmxpunk »

WOW been a while since I have posted.
I am borrowing a Z4 ecu from Matt, until I can get a Rob tune, or a similar haltech to what is going in our rally car. THe ecu fixed all of my cel's. Damn you supermoose and your broken 6k ecu!

THis car is incredible! It doesn't sound as "crisp" on the Z4 compared to the 6k, but the response is far better. My gas milage is still crap (180miles on a 12 gallon tank) but I can't tell if that's the car's fault or my right foot.

I have taken off the Gymkhana springs and returned it to stock height for the ground clearance. I am a gravel/snow guy, i can't kid myself. I have a drivetrain noise on De-cel which is either the front diff or my old drive shaft... I think.

Car now has about 3000 miles on it and have had to replace a few gaskets which started to leak. I need to get a tune of some kind to improve response and milage. Other than that, I am in love.

For now I have to switch gears to the rally car. New block, new ecu and new suspension for the car. hoping to improve on our performance from rally Colorado last year. Here we come Olympus Rally!!
1970 Honda Ct90
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

i just put gymkhana springs on my leagcy with sti inverted struts, they feel good. but my car wieght is 1510kg

also your problem with de-cel noise, where the diff meets the shaft did you swap that joiner ring at all ? if so there is a nut holding it on, tighten it up. if i remember right 170lbs torque.

& good luck in the rally, i hope you have fun, and be safe out there !!
1993 Subaru Legacy 44B STi 4Cam 16Valve Turbo Intercooled AWD
EJ22T, STi EJ207 DOHC, Vi-PEC (Spare Autronic) @ 426.20HP / 394.94ft lb @ 00psi
Tuned By: Franz Diebold ( DIEBOLD AUTOSPORT ) @ NVauto
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

So after two years in the making and only one year on the road, both my impreza and my forester were smashed into by a drunk driver last wednesday night. They jumped the curb snaked between two trees, took out my fence on their way to crushing the forester. Then they backed into the impreza on there way to taking out the rest of my fence. Both my cars were in the driveway about 30 feet off of the street. THe impreza is drivable, but the body shop says totaled. If the impreza is totaled, I imagine the Forester is as well. So I will see where we go from here. :(
1970 Honda Ct90
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Wow that is horrible luck sorry to hear :(
gijonas
Fourth Gear

Post by gijonas »

WTF!!! are you serious!?!? Lock and fuckin load yesterday I say.

Someone must pay dearly.
94SS.Wiseco forged pistons,TD04,TMIC,WALBRO 225,440's,3" all the way,revtronix stage 2,enough other crap to fill the internet.

THE TRIBUTE BUILD>>>LINKY LINK>>> http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?p=295455#295455
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Yeah, did they get him? I would have told the police to just send a hearse.
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

I was sleeping. Dead to the world and didn't hear much. She hit and ran in her Chevy tracker then was arrested shortly later with her bumper hanging off and missing a mirror. She ran a stop light, and eluded an officer for a bit. She so far has been charged with dwui (#2) pot possession, eluding an officer, leaving the scene of an accident. I just got off the phone with her insurance and the report she turned in was that "she was hit while parked, on her way to pick her daughter up." Right...
So i forwarded the insurance company the accident report and the article in the paper. Right...

The agent on the phone said they would total the Impreza, and most likely the forester as well. And they haven't even seen them yet :( NOt to mention I have to wait until the insurance agent gets a hold of her to do anything, or five days if I can prove my case (accident report=done) before they will even start the process of deciding what to do with my stuff.
1970 Honda Ct90
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

What a piece of shit. Hit while while parked, on her way to pick her daughter up. How dare she lie about that.

Sorry about your cars. Lot of stolen and total legacy's lately :( At least it was your cars and not your house or you.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

What insurance company do you have? You may want to talk to them about what happen. Obviously you won't file a claim with them, but they may help or be able to provide some talking points in dealing with her insurance company.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

Update:
I have the forester back and sexier than ever!

MOre imprtantly, I have started to fix the impreza. a day or so after I received my totalled check, jhot put up the correct color JDM aluminum hood from a version 1-2 wrx. Needless to say I have been looking for years so I jumped all over it. Looks good too. Still in need of a drivers side red front fender and some fog lights though.

I have decided (mostly) since the car is basically on its way any way, the impreza will get a cage and become a rally car. I am still deciding on what class pull out the engine and sell it to finance a good NA build for open light (destroked 2.5L- 2.35 and rev to 9000 ????) or add a restrictor to the engine and 300lbs to the car to move to open? Not to mention I would need higher compression pistons to make up for choking it off with the 34mm restrictor. Decisions decisions...
1970 Honda Ct90
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Unless you already have your coefficients (for RA), that decision is an easy one.
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

I am close, and for the time being I still have access to the car I currently drive.
1970 Honda Ct90
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Were it me, I'd go the open lite route. For more and closer competition for less overall money.
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

I would like to see how hard we can push an open light car. Check out stage two from rally colorado: http://rally-america.com/events/2009/CO ... s/stage/2/

That's us in 8th. We couldn't push after that stage because we 1. tried to play the fuel/weight game and starting on stage three the car would die on some turns 2. pushed hard enough to blow the struts and had no spares 3. started overheating. All that really made sunday a nightmare. but it was still a blast.
1970 Honda Ct90
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

Lots to update:

SO I am tired of the fittings in my head leaking oil and coolant from lines added to my 25d Heads. ON top of that, I think I am missing low and midrange power due to over ported heads, which I think will work against me once I have the mandated 34mm Restrictor for stage rally. I found a set of late Ej20g heads on Nasioc and they are on their way.

At the same time I amd going to go with slightly thinner head gaskets when I put it back together. Instead of Cometics 0.051" I am going with one about 0.045" (thicker than the "thin" 0.041" 22e gasket). If I have done my math correctly, I will have a quench clearance of 0.034" down from ~0.047". The improved quench will hopefully counteract the slight rise in compression from 8.5 to 8.8:1. Which I am also not worried about because the car is soon to get a 34mm restrictor.

And once that is all back together (which should be before the national rallycross) the car will be tuned with my new Autronic by The Boost Creep in Colorado.

Hopefully, right after the National Rallycross, the car will be getting the cage completed. OH the anticipation!
1970 Honda Ct90