94 Legacy RS Turbo Wagon (fixed pics/updates!)

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

timmy p
First Gear

Post by timmy p »

Still debating the two small turbos or the one GIGANTIC one LOL
timmy p
First Gear

Post by timmy p »

Oh yeah, if you live in the J-ville area stay away from Majestic auto and Edge bros. machine shop. You've been warned
iluvdrt
First Gear

Post by iluvdrt »

Yes, they took 8 weeks to put the bottom end of this motor together, didnt reassemble Tims heads, left the oil pick up tube loose, blasted holes in the oil pan, and left blast media all over the engine.

Anyways, I got the whole motor assembled now. Just waiting on the new oil pan to get in so I can tap the oil return line into it, and the new tensioner to come in. Other than that she should be running by turkey day.

Couldnt get the PP6 engine management, so we will have to run on stock boost pressure for a while, until another one can be found. We will still dyno it though for shits and giggles. Maybe run a little more boost when it gets broken in, like around 10 PSi. I figure the base map with the larger injectors (STi) should handle it OK.

Any thoughts on this?
98 LGT wagon auto
PNP heads, wrx 5 spd conversion, sti struts, whiteline suspension, 4/2 pots, lots more

05 impreza wgn stock
smh0101
Fifth Gear

Post by smh0101 »

On the base Turbo ECU you cant run bigger than 440cc injectors.
~Spencer
94 Legacy Turbo (550 Robtune/ej20h v2 Sti RA drivetrain)
94 Legacy Ti Wagon (5mt ej22e)
91 rhd Legacy GT Wagon (factory 5mt, ej20g)
93 rhd Legacy GT type S2 Sedan (4eat, ej20g)
91 rhd Legacy Ti Type S 1.8
03 Lincoln LS V8 Sport
08 300 SRT8
iluvdrt
First Gear

Post by iluvdrt »

smh0101 wrote:On the base Turbo ECU you cant run bigger than 440cc injectors.
So would 10 PSI on a TD04 be ok after break in? Tim will eventually get it tuned, and I emagine upgrade to a larger turbo and injectors, but for now would rather have an ample amount of boost while still being safe on a stock map.

Pics coming soon BTW, and we should be installing it Wed, and hopefully by Fri have it running.

The stock T-belt tensioner for the EJ22T does work with the DOHC heads BTW, perfectly in fact. FYI
98 LGT wagon auto
PNP heads, wrx 5 spd conversion, sti struts, whiteline suspension, 4/2 pots, lots more

05 impreza wgn stock
smh0101
Fifth Gear

Post by smh0101 »

iluvdrt wrote:
smh0101 wrote:On the base Turbo ECU you cant run bigger than 440cc injectors.
So would 10 PSI on a TD04 be ok after break in? Tim will eventually get it tuned, and I emagine upgrade to a larger turbo and injectors, but for now would rather have an ample amount of boost while still being safe on a stock map.
Oh hell yea, I'm running 15lbs on a VF10 and an '06 TMIC jsut fine.

A td04 is not much bigger than a vf11, and about the same size as a vf10.
~Spencer
03 Lincoln LS V8 Sport
08 300 SRT8
iluvdrt
First Gear

Post by iluvdrt »

Cool, thats good to know.

We have the engine in the car now. Just need to figure out a few things.

We are having trouble getting the 06 TMIC to fit. The 90 inlet hose on the IC is about 2" behind the outlet on the turbo. Maybe it isnt sitting low enough in the engine bay.

I have no idea where all the vacume hoses go. Which hoses on the stock boost control need to be hooked up in order to run a MBC? Which hoses hook into the intake (IAC, and PCV what else). I think think the bottom hose on the boost control also goes into the intake tube.

Do we need the charcoal canister? Right now it is hooked up.

Still need to figure how to get coolant to and from the Turbo. We didnt drill the head to have a coolant return. I might run the return into the radiator and supply it from the heater hose.

Pics soon.
98 LGT wagon auto

05 impreza wgn stock
iluvdrt
First Gear

Post by iluvdrt »

PICS

Last edited by iluvdrt on Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
98 LGT wagon auto

05 impreza wgn stock
iluvdrt
First Gear

Post by iluvdrt »

Motor is in.

I got sweet vacume line diagram from the FSM and got the canister and all solinoids hoooked up. 07 WRX TMIC is sitting in the garage, we are waiting on the ebay Y pipe kit to come in.

Turbo coolant lines are still an issue which I will resolve tommorow.

Turbo inlet will be made tommorow, probably from a Radiator hose for the 90 and some tubing with fittings braized in for the IAC, PCV, Purge, and whatever else needs to go there.

I should be able to start it up tommorow.....damn I am nervous. I always get that way when I am done with engine work. My hands shake thinking about it LOL.

Last edited by iluvdrt on Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
98 LGT wagon auto

05 impreza wgn stock
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

From those pics, it looks like you have clearance issues.
FastRust
iluvdrt
First Gear

Post by iluvdrt »

94SS_Canada wrote:From those pics, it looks like you have clearance issues.
The IC is not mounted up to the throttle body note the plastic bag..it was raining and I was trying to see where to mount the coolant tank and other things. Its just sitting in place. It fits in there just fine and snug.

The valve covers are close to the firewall though, should be a lot of fun changing plugs lol.
98 LGT wagon auto

05 impreza wgn stock
iluvdrt
First Gear

Post by iluvdrt »

OK so the motor is in and it wont start.

initially I had timed the motor to the wrong timing mark on the crank pulley the little triangle (it is fixed now I used the mark on the crank sensor trigger), but everything turned over fine by hand initially so I should not have any probs from that originally being wrong. Now it is right.

Got spark

fuel pressure is 38 cranking

MAF is kinda rigged up to IC which is rigged up to the throttle body, but the connections are solid, and are only temp

All the fuel injectors are wired up right according to schematics on mitchell on demand

everything is plugged in and connectors have been double checked.

I do have code 45 boost sensor, but I dont think that would keep it from fireing. The car came with a fuel cut defender which is wired in to the sensor, and apperantly worked prior to the rebuild.

I have no idea why this thing isnt starting. Ill do a compression check tommorow to make sure everything is OK.

Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I have a t-shoot link in the engine forum BTW. Thanks
98 LGT wagon auto

05 impreza wgn stock
iluvdrt
First Gear

Post by iluvdrt »

Which spark plug should we use BTW. I have both turbo and 2.5 dohc plugs. Currently the 2.5 plugs are in the motor. I figured use the plug for the head. Is this right?
98 LGT wagon auto

05 impreza wgn stock
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Probably get more feedback if you post on the engine section. Only thing I can suggest is do the compression test, which will probably lead you to a off timing belt.
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
timmy p
First Gear

Post by timmy p »

Bolt up the IC and were DONE!! (hopefully)
iluvdrt
First Gear

Post by iluvdrt »

ITS ALIVE!!!11!!

Fixed up the intake plumbing a little and BAM shes running. Healthy I might add. She has a little stumble if you stab the gas, but I think with a little TPS adj and some tweaking shell be good. Finished product coming soon!

Struts are next.
98 LGT wagon auto

05 impreza wgn stock
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Nice great to hear! seem pretty quick I would assume even with the auto tranny right?
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
smh0101
Fifth Gear

Post by smh0101 »

He shouldnt know how quick it is for at least 500 miles on her because the shortblock was rebuilt. It could mean bad things if he does.... After that... you good!
~Spencer
03 Lincoln LS V8 Sport
08 300 SRT8
iluvdrt
First Gear

Post by iluvdrt »

smh0101 wrote:He shouldnt know how quick it is for at least 500 miles on her because the shortblock was rebuilt. It could mean bad things if he does.... After that... you good!
Exactly. After 500 miles I am also changing the oil again with Mobile 1. Right now is has regular Castrol 10-30. We will also take extra precaussions and run low boost as well. About 5-7 PSI.

After breakin well crank it up to about 12 and set until the PP6 is installed.

Tim is also working on gettin a rotated set up forthe turbo to make the intake plumbing a little easier.
98 LGT wagon auto

05 impreza wgn stock
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

What did you do to prepare the alluminum for paint and what did you paint it with. It does look like you did a great job on the painting but its probably all going to flake off like mine has :(
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
iluvdrt
First Gear

Post by iluvdrt »

Its not paint its plasticoat, baked at 350.

Well water is in the oil. We pulled the pan and it is dripping from the big coolant pipe at the fron of the motor (on the inside). Apperantly the machine shop didnt put any RTV between the block halves.
Pics soon.
98 LGT wagon auto

05 impreza wgn stock
iluvdrt
First Gear

Post by iluvdrt »

from the coolant pipe.

Last edited by iluvdrt on Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
98 LGT wagon auto

05 impreza wgn stock
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

If I'm not mistaken, there is an O-ring there. So the presence, or lack of, RTV should not cause a coolant leak in that spot.

I'd check carefully and make sure they didn't assemble the engine with old o-rings (or no o-rings!!)
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
iluvdrt
First Gear

Post by iluvdrt »

I leave for Iraq in 3 weeks so Tim will have to take it up with the shop. We dont have the time to split the block (and I have never done that which is why we paid them to do it).

I am so pissed.
98 LGT wagon auto

05 impreza wgn stock
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Damn, that's a bummer. They either didn't put an O-ring there, got the O-ring gooped up with silicone, or used only silicone. Any way you look at it, she needs to be torn down.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m