UHEV Legacy Version 2.0

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Re: UHEV Legacy Version 2.0

Post by kimokalihi »

I'll buy one when I get my own place. Welding is fun and I've only done it once.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Grayguy
Second Gear

Post by Grayguy »

looking good dan! I want a TIG too, I barely ever use my MIG at home now that I can weld for free at the warehouse at work, but I should be putting mine to work a little more soon :)
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

A Miller Dynasty 200 would fit the bill nicely, but they start at $3800 and the tits watercooled package is $5500 :shock: . They are small and can be put on a shelf when done using it, being only 45 lb. Inverter welders are ftw. A Syncrowave 200 or 250 would work fine too, but they require available floor space.

I've done all my aluminum with either a 200 or 250 Syncrowave. Both are nice, but big.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

I pwn windsheilds.

I finally found a long enough blade to get the bottom bead. It happened to be on the floor of a Lexus, lol.

→Dan

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Was your old windshield busted, or you just wanted to put a new one in?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Legacy777 wrote:Was your old windshield busted, or you just wanted to put a new one in?

It was peppered from 240k miles, or however long that windshield was in the car. In sunlight, it looked like someone threw a handful of glitter on it.
→Dan

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah.....I had that happen to my second windshield, expect mine was caused by a dust storm in Wyoming.....fucking Wyoming....
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Wow. I end up replacing mine about every 3-4 years because of the sandblasting. At least MA has free windshields ("free" meaning paid for by jacked up state insurance rates).
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Yeah, cutting that urethane wasn't the most fun I've ever had. It was pretty thick at the bottom, so it was 3/4 out for about 6 months until I found the longer knife. Otherwise I was going to go the piano wire route.

I've had a new piece of glass sitting here for a long time from someone who cleaned out an old inventory. $75 plus a tube of urethane isn't bad.
→Dan

93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

I spent some quality time at Nathan's welding the fuel surge tank together. Nice day for it too, lol. At least I can TIG weld in a T-shirt.

The tank went together well. Little contamination, and thick material is very forgiving. What baffles me is there are no pin-holes or any leaks whatsoever. I pressure tested the tank at 40 psi in the bucket of water, and there were zero bubbles after five minutes. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I'm waiting on the mounting feet since I should probably see how it will play out in the car before I commit to the mounting scheme. Now I need to figure out the fitting and line situation, but my trunk is full of parts....:mad:

→Dan

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Very nice Dan!
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

The charge piping is 96% complete now, aside from a AIC tube and possibly a bracket reinforcement. I only had to modify the passenger side charge tube and I added a mounting bracket for the intake. There is over 1/2" of material over the body sheetmetal hole so I can tap it for a bolt from the inside. Otherwise, there is no way I would be able to remove it without removing the fender. With this setup, I can remove that part of the intake with only pulling half of the fender liner which takes about 2 minutes.

Also added a mounting point to the driver's side charge tube for reinforcement. There will be another bracket that bolts the charge tube to the intake. Since both connections are in the same direction, the force of the boost pressure is trying to pull the tubing apart to the tune of 250 lb at 25 psi. Pressure spikes before the BOV opens are significantly higher, and are the only time I've ever popped a coupler. However, driving without boost on a low compression engine is annoying but at least I can do it since I run a speed-density EM.

Some of the parts are painted, and that is the color I am going with. It is Dupli·Color "Cast Coat Aluminum" engine paint. I think it fits well with the black engine bay, since black plumbing would just blend in and not feature what counts.

Yes I want 3" charge piping. Maybe next summer.

→Dan

Deride
Second Gear

Post by Deride »

I like the aluminum paint better than the black, gotta have some bling when ya open the hood.
Fkyx
Third Gear

Post by Fkyx »

Beautiful.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

I second the aluminum paint. Looks cool without looking like it's trying to look cool.
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

lol i love how you put the FPR right where the coil pack would be, and also how you placed the pot swirl where the ac is.

if i didnt know any better it would all look stock to me, very nice work !!!
1993 Subaru Legacy 44B STi 4Cam 16Valve Turbo Intercooled AWD
EJ22T, STi EJ207 DOHC, Vi-PEC (Spare Autronic) @ 426.20HP / 394.94ft lb @ 00psi
Tuned By: Franz Diebold ( DIEBOLD AUTOSPORT ) @ NVauto
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Thanks for the props guys.

Its funny how the engine bay bling elicits responses when the real work does not. Such is the game.
→Dan

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

I think the aluminum paint better shows the work that's been done, at least with the intercooler piping. Makes it look like some high end kit you bought.
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Oh for sure. I agree 100%. Aside from my amateur welds.

The charge piping and exhaust plumbing is a microcosm of everything that has gone on, which I find humorous. I have more time into sourcing fluid conveyance parts than the piping itself. Just the bumper beam puts everything to shame in terms of man-hours.

That is the price I've paid though. I've been a stubborn SOB as far as fitment, so that has cost me a ton of time. That and changing a ton of stuff. I could have slapped everything over and driven the car, but plans are plans.
→Dan

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

I can relate, but more on restoration terms. Nobody will see the hours I've spent on the hidden parts of the car so that I won't have to even think about rust for at least another 10-15 years or listen to rattles, or electrical gremlins with the rewiring of stuff with larger gauge wire and quality connectors. The pay off is when I get the plates back on it and can just drive it with less worries than I have with a brand new car.

Just look at the reliability and mileage issues guys who just slap performance upgrades on have to deal with. There's a satisfaction about knowing it was done right, too. Your car looks amazing already and I'm sure it's going to haul ass. Sucks that doing something right takes so much time and money!
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

If I had my way I would acid dip the whole car so its 100% bare metal, then bring it to the local Ford plant for an E-coat.
→Dan

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

That would be awesome. I've ground, cleaned, acid, rust treated, waxed, seam sealed, cold galvanized, painted, painted, undercoated, and replaced. Very tedious. Seems every time I'm about to reattach a part, I find another I "might as well while I'm in here" refurbish. Another problem is that I'm starting to forget how this damn thing went together so I have to keep checking the parts sheet and FSM.

I really wish they'd just dust off the old body stampings and sell the car new again, but with better headlights and a DI 2.2. I'd pay the same as a well equipped new Legacy and they wouldn't even need to warranty it.
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

I'm thinking it would take some serious coin to bring a shell to an assembly plant and plop it on their line for an E-coat. I wonder if there is anyone who does it other than OEM manufacturers.
→Dan

206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

93forestpearl wrote:A Miller Dynasty 200 would fit the bill nicely, but they start at $3800 and the tits watercooled package is $5500 :shock: . They are small and can be put on a shelf when done using it, being only 45 lb. Inverter welders are ftw. A Syncrowave 200 or 250 would work fine too, but they require available floor space.

I've done all my aluminum with either a 200 or 250 Syncrowave. Both are nice, but big.
I saw a 200DX for sale for $895 or something like that and almost nutted myself before realizing it was a scam. :lol: :evil:
your aluminum is looking great.
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped
HappyFrog
First Gear

Post by HappyFrog »

Is there any progress on this project?
Subaru Legacy Turbo 1992 - it's alive (but not done). VEMS ecu, 6mt, Wiseco/Eagle internals, Hybrid GT FMIC, 550cc, TD05 Big 16g @ 22psi, dynoed 294/293.
Now being parted out