UHEV Legacy Version 2.0

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Re: UHEV Legacy Version 2.0

Post by 93forestpearl »

Been a little while. Sorry guys. My left thumb is severely sprained and has been a serious detriment to my car progress. I've been wearing an aluminum brace for 2.5 months, and it might take 3 times that to get back to normal.

Anyways, I've been picking away at what I can. I wrecked my turbo intake when I tapped the bungs I welded on. Had to rebuild half of it.

Did a lot of work on the PCV system. It has come a long ways functionally, but I want to make it a cleaner system.

Picked up a pulley fro Power Enterprises, or somewhere, fro my buddy for the right price. It is the only pully to have a timing mark before Grime speed found something.

I've had trouble finding a peak&hold injector driver that is a available for reasonable money and quality. No AEM junk for me. One of the megaquirt guys designed a standalone peak&hold injector driver kit for the right money....(jbperf.com).

Had my fuel surge tank plated with about .001-.0015" of electroless nickel. It turned out pretty well. Ethanol, give me your best shot....

Got the AN fittings for the Hallman manual boost controller. I decided to not let hose barbs determine my fate with my wastegate.

Other than that, been trying to pick away at the body with my local expert, who is tough to get over here to do some work. Free expertise is subject to a major pain in the ass....

→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

This is inspiring me to do bigger things
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
Grayguy
Second Gear

UHEV Legacy Version 2.0

Post by Grayguy »

What did you do to your finger!?!
92' SS: SOLD
98' 2.5GT SOLD, bought back, new stupid build in the works.
98' 2.5 GT-rx :bought not built
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Max, I took a spill Memorial weekend into a landscape barrier and wrecked my thumb pretty bad. It can take 5-9 months for stiffness to subside from a severe sprain.

Made some brackets yesterday for my Hallman boost controller and Link MAP sensor.

→Dan

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Looks good Dan!

Hope the thumb starts feeling better.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Deride
Second Gear

Post by Deride »

Quit holding out on the progress pics!
2002 Impreza 2.0RS 6MT
2001 Impreza 2.5RS 5MT (winter beater)
1992 Jeep Cherokee
1994 SS 5MT RIP
1991 SS 5MT *SOLD*
1996 Legacy Outback 5MT *SOLD*
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

seriously... lol this thread has me anxious
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

I talked to Josh a few days ago. He said I should update this thread or else... :smt064

I've had significant progress since October, but most of it is not picture worthy. In the last 1.5 months, I've spent 30-40 hrs on my wiring. Wiring is not a sexy component to work on by any means, but the more you work on it the less you see it, and that is the point. I'm not talking about a wiring tuck, or anything silly like that. I need to work on my cars, and making the wiring inaccessible is foolish.

Current state. A few things only have the loom set on the wiring as I have a couple things to button up, but you get the picture. My hamstrings are angry....

Side view 1. You can see how the engine harness has played out, along with my modified APS coolant tank. I had to modify the mounting of the coolant tank to work on this car, as opposed to a WRX.

Side view 2. Here you can see how the bulkhead harness fits pretty close to factory. On the lower left, you can see my mounting and connections for the vane position sensor and turbo speed sensor. Everything close to the turbo will be covered in a heat shielding mat made from fiberglass backed foil sewn together with Kevlar thread, so (hopefully) no worries on my MAP sensor for the Zeitronix.

I made a table to do what I could on the harness with it out of the car. This picture apparently gives a lot of people anxiety.

Last fall we painted the fenders, bumper covers, inside of the deck lid, and something I'm forgetting. We just need to block the doors and rear quarters to spray them. The hood outside, decklid outside, trunk jams, doors, rear quarters, and rroof remain. We feel that we can do it in two spray sessions.

Lastly, I've had the solder vs. crimp argument waaaaay to many times. Factory harnesses do not have soldered wires in them, period. All splices (and there are a lot of them) are made with crimps like the picture below. Capiche?

Last edited by 93forestpearl on Tue May 01, 2012 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
→Dan

93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

I also picked up a fuel pump and controller so I can run E85 if I choose to. It depends on what I achieve on pump gas and how hard I want to push the motor.

→Dan

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

93forestpearl wrote:This picture apparently gives a lot of people anxiety.

This is when things start getting fun :)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

It's actually kind of relaxing compared to turning wrenches and cutting/grinding metal. Just tedious and takes a while.
→Dan

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Wiring isn't bad if you can do it at a bench and sit down and even better if you're not freezing your ass off while doing it because that keeps your fingers flexible and responsive.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Where is your battery going to be?
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Battery will be in the trunk. I'll weld some studs to the main unitbody rail area for my grounds by the battery. I have five ground from the engine to the body. One from each head, one from the block, one on the intake, and the one on the starter. I still have the power cable I used last time, which is an old Rockford 4 AWG amp power cable. Seemed to work pretty well without any cranking issues.
→Dan

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Nice. I will eventually do the same but I'm not sure where because I don't want to lose room in the trunk or interfere with the carpet or getting to the fuel pump or tools or spare.
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

There is enough room on the driver's side for the battery and to keep those things you want, even the multi-tray.
→Dan

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Yeah I'm just wondering how to do it with the carpet piece and everything because that carpet has to come up when I open the tool box or get to the spare. I guess I'd have to cut out a section for the battery to fit.