UHEV Legacy Version 2.0

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

I think I may "borrow " the mounting setup for my Aeromotive FPR.
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
04 Sienna XLE Limited AWD
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Small update. I've been pretty busy with school starting and last weekend I was in Orr, MN for our annual MNSubaru ice race event, which isn't a sanctioned event or anything, just driving on a course, getting hammered at night, then maybe running over more cones. Lots of plastic was broken this year.

I have a car which should be picked up by the shipper hopefully this weekend. It's a '93 FWD auto from Kansas, and is pretty clean. I'll post pics of the car when I have it in my possesion. Maybe I'll do a burnout with it :twisted:
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

The car was picked up on Friday afternoon in Strong City, Kansas, and I got the call yesterday evening and arranged for pickup thins morning before work. I got a call at 8:15 saying he broke down in Albert Lea. I figured he gelled up over night, and it ended up being the case. I met him after work at 3:30 in front of Northstar Auto Auction, and drove it home. I didn't have time to go do a burnout, plus with the clicking axle and lack of plates, I was less inclined anyways. Maybe next weekend. :cool:

It ended up being cleaner than I expected. The car is 99.9% rust free. All the normal nasty spots are all solid metal, and the one little spots of surface rust is also solid by how it sounds when I tap on it. The front end has never been repaired beyond a bumper cover and a little spray in the front, as none of the core support or any sheetmetal under the good or along the frame rails has been eff'd with. Now, about that color.......

Not bad for $840 shipped. Thanks again Danny (dcardsrule) :biggrin:

It might be a few months before she looks like this again. I may paint the door handles this time. I dunno. I have time to think about it ;)

→Dan

93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Progress finally. After working on everyone else's junk and other events, I've finally had time to get the old car out of the garage and start tearing into the new car. And it really is like working on a new car. No rusty bolts. Even the fender bolts are coming out like butter.

I got the motor out of the new car, along with the AC and most of the other useless junk from the engine bay. Five days of wrenching has made me a little sore though. I'm not used to rolling around under cars all day.

→Dan

BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

Glad to see you got a Rust Free Legacy to wrench on!

Color is not too bad & will probably look really nice with your rims painted / powercoated bronze....
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Don't worry, I'll be painting the whole car. After I do all the welding and fab work, she'll get stripped for paint.
→Dan

skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

Sweet man. The beast will live again!

Keep us posted, I'm curious to see how many changes you end up making this time during the build after having had a chance to run it for a while in the old configuration.
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

^ Don't worry, I'll document it all. I have a bunch of ideas rolling around in my head. The modified bumper beam should be pretty tight.

Anyways....

All that is left of the FWD fail in this car is the fuel tank, and it has 12 gallons in it at the moment.

Of course, no car from Kansas would be complete without piles of dirt...

→Dan

Dcardsrule
In Neutral

Post by Dcardsrule »

Wow your text said a little progress. Did you every get it to start right? Kinda cool to see a former car get overhauled. I've heard that if you sprinkle that good Kansas dirt on your grass it will turn greener.
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

LOL, I'll have to try that with the dirt.

I didn't hunt down the starting issue. For some reason the computer thought the motor was at full hot all the time, so it didn't give any extra fuel for startup in the cold. I just sprayed a bunch of carb cleaner into the throttle body to get her going enough to pull her in the garage. When I get to the wiring I'll see if the coolant temp sensor wiring is shorted somewhere.
→Dan

Bdub
Second Gear

Post by Bdub »

Wow, so thats what that brake rotor dustshield looks like in one piece? :lol:
Through The Generations...
91 SS 4eat
95 LSi 4eat- Sold
07 2.5i 5mt- For Sale
13 STI Sedan
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

This is why all the old Legacys have rusty-ass fenders on them.

It is comforting to know that most of this stuff has to come back out for paint :(
→Dan

93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

If anyone sees something they need and I probably won't use let me know. I'm throwing a lot of stuff away.
→Dan

93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

It's starting to look like an AWD car....

→Dan

93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Old, unused captive nuts are ftl.....

After that fun I was able to get the front half of the rear crossmember in.

Hmmmmm. What do I have here? Looks like an R180. When I get my axles this week, she'll be ready to go in. Hopefully it is a 3.90. When I get my axles I'll know for sure.

→Dan

GodSquadMandrake
First Gear

Post by GodSquadMandrake »

Is the one on the right an R180? Nice transmission BTW. I am excited for this build.
-Doug Wilson
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Diff on the right is indeed the R180.

Unfortunately, my tranny is in need of some new syncros. It only is a problem on a hard 1-2. We'll see how the Extra-S does, other wise it
ll get rebuilt next winter.
→Dan

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Don't forget you need to swap over the fuel separator.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

The little tank dealy that is in the trunk with the three lines? I swapped that over after seeing the FWD tank out of the car. It was PITA too, since my green car pretty rusty and I must have bent them when stripping it. Anyways, I got it in there, and had to splice the lines since I cut them not knowing they weren't on the new car. I just hope I got the lines correctly spliced together. The lengths were all different, so I think I matched them up correctly.

Fun stuff. I'm also waiting on a rear crossmember bolt since they are different on the AWD cars, and I had to cut one to get it out of the green car. Captive nut broke loose when the rusty part of the bolt got down to the nut.
→Dan

BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

Now would be the time to get rid of the rust on the x-members & trailing / lateral arms - POR 15!
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

What size was the tap you used for the captive bolt - My Whiteline Rear-subframe lockbolts will not thead in....
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

One of the captive nuts for the rear crossmember is what I had trouble with. I don't have a tap large enough for it, so I had to slowly work it with a bolt and lube. Took me about 30 min to get the threads clean enough. Not sure on the thread size. They look like a M14x1.25 or 1.00, as the threads are pretty fine. Or M12, I dunno.
→Dan

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

93forestpearl wrote:The little tank dealy that is in the trunk with the three lines? I swapped that over after seeing the FWD tank out of the car. It was PITA too, since my green car pretty rusty and I must have bent them when stripping it. Anyways, I got it in there, and had to splice the lines since I cut them not knowing they weren't on the new car. I just hope I got the lines correctly spliced together. The lengths were all different, so I think I matched them up correctly.

Fun stuff. I'm also waiting on a rear crossmember bolt since they are different on the AWD cars, and I had to cut one to get it out of the green car. Captive nut broke loose when the rusty part of the bolt got down to the nut.
Yup, that's the one. Two of the lines go to the tank, and the other goes to the charcoal canister, and then to the CPS.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Legacy777 wrote:and the other goes to the charcoal canister, and then to the CPS.

What are these things you speak of?????? :lol:
→Dan

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

93forestpearl wrote:What are these things you speak of?????? :lol:
True :lol:

I really would like to get rid of the charcoal canister and just put a U hose to direct the vapors from the tank to the CPS solenoid. Not sure if that will have any real negative effects.....
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT