UHEV Legacy Version 2.0

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

You just won't have a place for vapors to be stored.

Things would be easier if Subaru had done it like all the later cars, with the canister in back.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Wouldn't the vapors just be stored in the tank?

I guess if I don't need to get rid of it....I'll leave it. But yeah I think it was stupid for subaru to put it up front. I wonder if I can convert to the rear style canister like on the newer subarus.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

I guess I don't know then. I'm not really sure how it all ties in together, and I really don't care enough to dig into it.

On another note, I didn't get much time to work on the car this weekend due to having to install a laminant floor in my mother's kitchen. I spared a little time though.

I started working on the front core support where I found that the lower core support is taller than AWD cars. Weird. :smt017: Oh well, it makes a little more work out of it.

Therefore it all needed to be cut apart so I can modify it. Also, I started my jog in the center support. It might still need to come up a hair. Everything will be boxed-in and reinforced to be as strong, if not stronger than the original.

Why am I going through all of this? I want to fit a decent sized intercooler in there and maintain some semblance of a bumper beam, which is also being modified extensively.

Old in front of new :mrgreen:

→Dan

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Dan,

That lower core support should be the same for all non-turbo cars. It's only lower/different on the turbo cars.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

OK. Since the lower core support in my old car wasn't close to stock when I got the koyo, I didn't really notice.
→Dan

BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

Nice core Dan!

Is it the 12x31x3 CX Racing /Just Intercoolers core?
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
04 Sienna XLE Limited AWD
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

It's their 24x12x4 core. It should work. It's definitely not as well put together as my Spearco core, but functionally it should be fine. There are subtle things in their manufacturing process that stand out as cosmetic issues like the bars not being completely straight and excess brazing material all over the place, but none of it should take away from how it works. I'll pressure test it before I'm all done.
→Dan

BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

Funny, When I compared my CX-Racing core to my Spearco core that was 1/2 the size & 8 times the price they looked exactly the same...

I dumped the Spearco soon after.
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

No class tomorrow means I got to work on the car tonight. All I have to say is welding contaminated 18 GA. is the toughest welding I've ever done. Damn.

That is the tentative IC mounting, ish. I need to weld brackets to the bottom of the IC, and some mounting brackets to the bottom of the core support. I had to buzz off the center support so I can move it up a RCH. I'm not close to done yet with this part...
→Dan

SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

its beautiful, i wish i could just come and watch all you guys do these builds and take notes or something like a class.

Keep the good work
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

I'm pretty much solo on this project, other than a few people stopping by once in a while.
Last edited by 93forestpearl on Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
→Dan

Grayguy
Second Gear

Post by Grayguy »

lookin good Dan, Reminds me a lot of my 2.5GTs front end.
92' SS: SOLD
98' 2.5GT SOLD, bought back, new stupid build in the works.
98' 2.5 GT-rx :bought not built
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

→Dan

BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

Good job on the FMIC mounting!

I like your notched front bumper beam & did the same thing on my SS.
It was a Pain in the butt to chop the beam with cut-off wheels & a sawzall but it came out OK - much better than taking the easy way out & chopping the center of the beam off in my opinion.
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

93forestpearl wrote:Don't worry, I'll be painting the whole car. After I do all the welding and fab work, she'll get stripped for paint.
What color you thinking about painting this, Green again or a non-stock color?

I saw a stock N/A Charcoal Grey BC Legacy recently & it was NICE!
Blacked-out cars always look nice too....
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Thanks! She'll get painted Forest Pearl. I like the color and it was a super rare factory color. What sucks is that it doesn't cover very well. It took 2/3 of a reduced pint to paint those fenders last year. We are going to use a basic metallic black in the engine bay though. My buddy, who is a painter, can grab some leftovers from the body shop he works in. They go through $15k in paint a month. :shock:

I'm not close to done with the bumper beam yet. The center parts that I left will get bent down and welded to the short outside parts. Then I am running some 14 GA 1x1 square tube on the front side to beef it back up. Lastly I'll add some ducting so the IC gets all the air it possibly can. Also, I should be able to keep the styrofoam part in case someone decides to park-check my car.

I should have a pair of 3-2.5 silicone reducers waiting for me so I can finish my mock-up of the IC mounting and brackets. I'm going to reconnect the area below the headlights once I have those reducers and clamps on there.

And yes, using a 4.5" angle grinder for all of it is kind of a pain. Unless you take your time, you burn through wheels like nothing. Stainless really eats them up. I get about three cuts per wheel when doing exhaust stuff. I need to borrow my old man's sawzall this weekend to finish the bumper beam.
→Dan

93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

→Dan

93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Did some test fitting. The bumper cover fits great. Ran into a little issue withthe headlight though. I'll most likely cut them like I did with that junk headlight, and reseal them up with windsheild urethane.

→Dan

Grayguy
Second Gear

Post by Grayguy »

Lookin good. are you going to paint this one black for more stealthyness like the old one?
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Oh yeah, the intercooler will be painted black. I did the endtanks a few weeks ago when I was bored. I'll use an etch primer this time so it doesn't chip so bad. I'll keep the other side bare if I ever want to show off my Chinese intercooler.
→Dan

Grayguy
Second Gear

Post by Grayguy »

So what are you doing for the hood? Im guessing you are using an NA hood with well placed holes for venting? Wasn't that what you were running before?
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

I was always using a turbo hood. Right before I got boned I added a WRC style vent between the radiator and the motor, which dropped my inlet air temps bay over 30 degrees. I'll probably use that hood, and blend the vent into the hood all nice like, since I glued it in with windshield urethane.
→Dan

Grayguy
Second Gear

Post by Grayguy »

ah, ok.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Looking good Dan!
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Small update, of fail. Long story short, a good source of mine said I could make hybrid axles at the outer CV joints. I did extensive research on this after that and did not come up with conclusive evidence either way, so I decided to go for it. Absolutely not possible with my old axles. I don't know about any of the newer stuff like WRX axles though.

Anyways, the price of fun just went up, a bunch. I have some '04 STi knuckles on the way, but currently I can't spring for 2 pots of any kind. I'd like some red ones to go with the RB front setup, but that will run about $500 give or take. So, I need to get some SVX backing plates and rotors to re-drill for these knuckles to run some normal sliding calipers. I actually have a friend who did this so it is possible. He wanted to be able to use 15" wheels in the winter so that is what he did to make it happen.

Pics of the difference in out CV joints, and the tool i made to pop them apart.

→Dan