UHEV Legacy Version 2.0

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

diego0decastro
In Neutral

Post by diego0decastro »

93forestpearl wrote: Image
Where did you get that front hood vent from?
'02 WRX WRB WGN
'91 LEG SS
~Eggo~
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Carlos, that is interesting on the non-ABS rear knuckles. What are they from? Mine are from an '04 USDM STi.

I was driving with the 6mt for two years on the 3.90 R160. Then the VLSD I got was junk, and I decided I wanted a clutch-type diff that was serviceable. Not every decision I've made with this car has been the best one, but that's hot-rodden baby.

I decided to do the R180 because the VLSD I had was toast, and thought I could do hybrid axles. When that didn't work, I decided to finish the job, since I was half-way there. If I were to do it over again, I would have just bought a nice R160 diff. Cusco RS comes to mind.... It would have been less of a pain too, because only the 2000 STi, AFAIK, has an R180 and the Subaru 2 pots, so rotor selection is quite limited. DBA makes them, as does Subaru, but try and find the Subaru rotors. Rallispec seems to always be backordered on them.

Gold Brembos in the rear would have been an option if I didn't have the RB 16" setup in front. The rear gold Brembos would have been larger than my front brakes, which equals a no-no in my book. If I wasn't already tapped out by this deal, I would have gotten the brackets and rotors for the larger RB front rotors. Oh well.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

diego0decastro wrote:Where did you get that front hood vent from?

;)
→Dan

AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

Props to you for making a dummy ricer vent into a functional part. Very ambitious project overall.
90 L+ wgn
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Thank you. That vent dropped my intake temps (measured right before the TB) by over 35 degrees.

We'll see how the new IC setup does. I'm going to keep that hood, and have a normal SS hood. I'll make my decision when I get to tuning.
→Dan

livestrong14
Fourth Gear

Post by livestrong14 »

That is awesome to hear! Do you have an underhood shot? I'm just thinking of how to avoid water that would be my only concern
91 SS -Carbon Bronze Pearl
EJ257/EJ205 Hybrid
Built by NWSS www.simplysubie.com

93 Ford Ranger-DD
91 Rio Red SS- RallyX Project
93 AWD Sedan- FOR SALE!

Sponsors: NWSS, Forced Performance, Surgeline, RalliTEK
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Water wasn't really an issue. Even with a normal hood, everything in the engine bay gets wet anyways. If it rained hard enough I'd get some steam when stopped from a little water hitting the exhaust manifold.

I centered the vent to be right above the gap between the radiatior and the motor. I don't have any pics of the bottom side of the hood.

On a different note, I just realised that my FWD car doesn't have the hole sin the firewall for the clutch master cylinder, so that is going to be fun. I'm going to cut that whole part out, cut that piece out of Derek's junk SS, and weld it on over the top while using the pedal assembly to line everything up. Loads of fun :roll:
→Dan

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I have just the thing for you. I ran into this very issue when I did my AWD & 5spd swap. I made a template that you can use.

Make sure the measurement on the paper is actually what it says. Here's a couple different formats

http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/fil ... mplate.jpg
http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/fil ... mplate.pdf
http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/fil ... mplate.dwg
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Where is that 4.5" dimension supposed to be from? It doesn't directly line up with anything as far as I can see.

This will be a big help though. It should end up a lot cleaner. If I still had the green car, it wouldn't be such a big deal. Thanks a ton.

Also, what format is a .dwg file?
→Dan

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The 4.5" dimension is on there for scale. When you print out the template, that line should be exactly 4.5".

I did that because some printers/formats will reduce/change the scale of the image. So when you print out the template, just check to make sure the line is exactly 4.5".

.dwg is the original autocad file I used to create the template. That would be the best way to print out the template if you have access to autocad.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Went over to Fobia's tonight, who so graciously let me use his TIG welder. I welded some brackets to the intercooler to properly mount it in the car. The grommets are wiper motor grommets I got from O'Riely's.

Aluminum is tough, especially when welding something to a large piece, since it sucks all your heat away. Besides, I have about an hour and a half experience with the stuff. I think I only blew the breaker 5 times, lol.

I had time to make up one mounting bracket before shutting it down out of respect for my neighbors. Cutting, grinding, and hammering is rather loud. Who knew? :smt017

Tomorrow I'll finish the mounting points, and who knows what else I'll get into. My two online summer classes are keeping me busy too.

→Dan

livestrong14
Fourth Gear

Post by livestrong14 »

Looking great Dan! keep it up!
EJ257/EJ205 Hybrid

93 Ford Ranger-DD
93 AWD Sedan- FOR SALE!

93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

I'm trying, lol. I need to add some more bracing, since the mounting point on the car is still a little flimsy for my liking. We'll see what happens.

Tomorrow should be a more productive day since I don't have to drive anywhere, or do anything else. My internship starts next week, so that will keep me to evenings and weekends.
→Dan

livestrong14
Fourth Gear

Post by livestrong14 »

Yeah, you'll be plenty busy then lol I know how that goes. I'm getting ready to start school myself.

Dan, you interested in a set of fender braces? PM if you are, I can give you a great deal.
EJ257/EJ205 Hybrid

93 Ford Ranger-DD
93 AWD Sedan- FOR SALE!

93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

I am, but money is a little tight at the moment on this project. I doubled up the factory braces for the time being. Maybe in a couple months when the paychecks from my internship are flowing I'll be able to throw down.
→Dan

skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

Looks like things are moving along great for you Dan. That's a ton of work to put into a build but it's going to be worth it.

93forestpearl wrote: Gold Brembos in the rear would have been an option if I didn't have the RB 16" setup in front. The rear gold Brembos would have been larger than my front brakes, which equals a no-no in my book. If I wasn't already tapped out by this deal, I would have gotten the brackets and rotors for the larger RB front rotors. Oh well.
I just wanted to drop a quick note and say that I LOVE having my rears biggger than the fronts. I've got the 316mm RB kit in the rear and stock 290mm in the front. The bias is excellent and not to far back. Obviously there is a point where too big in the back is not good, but I did want to point out that you might consider looking into things a little more before making the decision that you have to upgrade the fronts first.

Admittably, it does look a little different, but I've always like a nice rear end....

But seriously, I can't wait to see this project get wrapped up. Keep up the good work.
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

^ Interesting. What pads are you using? Thanks for the heads up though. I'll keep it mind for the future.

I figured if I want to get a little more rear bias I can use a wagon proportioning valve.

I already have the DBA 656 rotors and one Subaru 2 pot. I just need one more caliper and pads for the rear of the car to be complete.

If I ever want to step it up, I shouldn't have a hard time selling the calipers and finding Brembos for somewhat reasonable money. Subaru is awefully proud of the STi rotors though, since their price is a little crazy.
→Dan

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I'd be a little cautious about going too large on the rear. You'll actually increase your braking distance. If you decide to go bigger, I'd definitely work the brake torque numbers out prior.

Lee,

How long have you had that setup? Have you had to do any "emergency" stops or panic stops in a parking lot to see how the weight shift occurs, especially if the car is unbalanced in a turn?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

Dan - Right now I'm running EBC yellows in the rear and HPS Hawks in the front. I know... but the HPS pads had a lot of life left on them and came with the WRX fronts I got. I'll switch back to the EBC's on the front before summer's out as I'm starting to feel a very slight difference once they warm up. But it is not drastic.

Another thing to keep in mind, the wagon proportioning valve does not change the bias before the pressure break point, but rather moves that point further out. So your bias only really changes at higher brake pressures. Take a look at Josh's spreadsheet and this will make a little more sense.

Josh - I've been running this setup since November, minus a few months in the winter when I took it off the insurance and was doing my 5mt swap.

Further, I want to just drop a quick reminder of my brake bias history over the year. 1st - stock L trim brakes, 2nd - stock L trim brakes in the front and turbo brakes in the rear (btw those rotors are finally needing replaced, thanks Josh :)), 3rd - stock SS brakes front and rear, 4th (and current) - 02' WRX fronts and 316 RB kit in the rear.

My point in mentioning this is that I am used to having a car that has the bias too far back. Setup #2 was this way and the rears would lock first. Piss your pants fun, crap your pants scary.

My current setup has been by far my favorite. With regards to how have I run it, well this is my Auto-X car and so far this season I have a full 18 race runs and another 20ish halfish runs (took the Evolution Performance Driving school). So it has seen a lot of hard use and a lot of hard braking mixed with hard turning.

I loved setup #3 for it's ability to kick the rear out if I wanted and worked the pedals right. But once I upgraded my suspension from the stock suspension to STi struts with 245lb springs on all four corners I lost that balance. It braked hard and straight but I had trouble getting the rear to kick out when I wanted it to.

Now that balance is back. It brakes very hard and seems very balanced. It does shift the weight forward but not as violently and the car feels more settled in braking than it did with setup #3. You do have to be careful not to fully lay into them mid corner, but most setups will exhibit the same problems with that senario.

All that said, you are very correct that a shift too far backwards is detrimental. I do not feel that I have crossed that line as I went from #3 straight to #4 all in one go and upon my testing, braking distances were reduced or equal. But I would suggest that Dan takes a moment to calculate biases with the 2-pot calipers as they likely exert more force on the rotors than the SS 1-pot calipers.

Hopefully this has helped and I haven't cluttered your thread Dan.

Finally -
Lee

skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

Edit : I guess I can't edit my post above so...

The 20ish runs for the driving school were probably closer to a 3/4 full course than a 1/2 course.

And I was going to add a picture from this season -

Lee

93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Don't worry about cluttering up the thread. A good technical discussion is always welcomed.

I'll take a look at Josh's spreadsheet on the bias issue. I the wagon valve works under hard braking only, that might be an easy interim until an adjustable valve is installed.

I pretty much finished the front end tonight, aside from some final grinding and maybe filling a hole or two. I'm about 95% happy with how it turned out, because there is always room for improvement.

I may box half of the lower mounts yet, but I decided against fully boxing them and making the nuts captive. That could be asking for trouble.

If I had a dollar for every time I had the intercooler in and out, I could buy a couple cases of beer...

→Dan

AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

93forestpearl wrote:Where is that 4.5" dimension supposed to be from? It doesn't directly line up with anything as far as I can see.
Speaking of lining up that template, double check the location of the large hole before you drill. Mine was slightly off so I had to drill it twice. Since you have the engine out, it would be easy to check with a pilot hole first. There should be a flat spot on the firewall where the clutch MC hole would be.
90 L+ wgn
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

It's all coming off for that. I have to pull the dash anyways so I'm going to get it all torn apart before I attempt this. Measure twice, cut once...
→Dan

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Looking good Dan!

That is some crazy big intercooler and radiator.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Yeah, the intercooler is a little rediculous for my turbo. The idea was that I wouldn't ever have to mess with the front of the car again if I end up getting a larger snail. And if things keep going the way they are with Derek's VNT turbo, I might just do that next winter when I have the tranny out for syncros.

The radiator is just my junk Koyo that leaked last year at this time. I have another, but am using this one for mockup. I was kinda lit one night and stenciled the STi paint on it for lulz.
→Dan