UHEV Legacy Version 2.0

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: UHEV Legacy Version 2.0

Post by Legacy777 »

Dan started a new job a couple weeks back. So he's been pretty busy with that. I'm not sure how much progress he's had on the car lately.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Deride
Second Gear

Post by Deride »

Progress has been made, he's fighting the cold weather in the paint department.
HappyFrog
First Gear

Post by HappyFrog »

Cool, I was just getting worried since there has been no update the last 3 monts :-)
Subaru Legacy Turbo 1992 - it's alive (but not done). VEMS ecu, 6mt, Wiseco/Eagle internals, Hybrid GT FMIC, 550cc, TD05 Big 16g @ 22psi, dynoed 294/293.
Now being parted out
Deride
Second Gear

Post by Deride »

This thing done yet?
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Dan I know you're up to something. How long must we wait?
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Dan has been MIA for a while....I haven't talked to him in a bit. I know he's been busy with work. He may actually get his motor running before mine :lol:
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Hi guys,

Sorry about being on the DL for quite a while. Between a new job, a really cold winter, and a bad attitude about the whole car world in general, I've been laying low. I'm currently looking into buying house near work since I'm spending about $300 a month on fuel to drive 85 miles a day. This doesn't mean I've been completely slacking. Well, maybe just a little bit, but I plan and plot every day. That and a little prod from Josh helped. ;)

Last fall, I was really lucky with the weather and was able to get a bit of painting done before the cold set in. It was still a fight, because painting in 58 degree weather is a bit challenging. Anyways, were able to get the door jams done on the car and doors. When it warms up, I'll be able to paint the trunk jams and the rest of the car.

As far as the rest goes, I've been putzing here and there. I started working on the harness Friday night. An 18 year old wiring harness is not the most fun to take apart. Most of the tape's adhesive stays on the loom and wire as opposed to coming off with the tape. Needless to say, my hands were a bit of a mess at the end of the night. And I'm not even half-way to where I want to be as far as the stripped harness goes. It is necessary though, because I need to change a few things and clean it up majorly. Last time around, things became a mess after adding and modifying things several times.

Another little project is reworking the angle of the turbo. I have a contact at Garrett and he, along with another engineer that worked on the design of that particular center housing, do not like the angle at which it sits at the moment. The only failure mode is oil leaking out the real seal, which dos not affect the reliability of the turbo, but still needs to be rectified. So, I found a Y-pipe from a 6.0 Powerstroke that I can use the flange from. The previous flange works, but is a serious pain to mount and dismount the turbo because the turbo can walk around while I try to clamp it. When the turbo weighs over 30 pounds, it gets interesting real quick.

One last thing that I took care of is getting my compressor housing machined for Garrett's turbo speed sensor. I came across the gauge setup for a great price, so I couldn't resist. Besides, it will be extremely useful when adjusting the vane position map. Anyways, machining the housing is a fairly invasive and should only be done by someone well qualified.

The Powerstroke Y-pipe.

Sprayed jams...

Angle of the turbo that needs to be fixed.

How far I am with the harness.

Turbo speed sensor and machined compressor housing.

Lastly, my daily driver beater wagon with a 2 inch lift. FWD struts in the back raised the rear, and some 2 inch lift blocks from SJR took care of the front. Don't worry about my camber, I already know. 0 degrees in the rear and -.5 in the front works fine for a winter car.

→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
Grayguy
Second Gear

UHEV Legacy Version 2.0

Post by Grayguy »

He's alive!!! Long time no talk haha.
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

turbo speed sensor? Little more input on that please?
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

It's good to see you back finally! You have probably the most interesting build thread on the forum and I enjoy reading it and checking out the pictures of your progress. It's inspiring. I can understand the frustration and wanting to forget about the car for a while. Been through that and it still happens from time to time. Looking forward to more updates.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

BACK!

still need to make those stickers ;)
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

cj91legss wrote:turbo speed sensor? Little more input on that please?

Sorry I didn't reply. What kind of input do you need? It tells you the turbo RPM, so you know exactly what the turbo is doing and where you are hitting the compressor map.
→Dan

93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Due to Derek giving up on the Subaru powerplant in his car, I had to take advantage. Rails from Outfront Motorsports, and I have a line on some 1600cc injectors for a great price. I should have my 900cc denso injectors and rails up for sale soon. I just need the peak-and-hold injector driver from FJO.

The engine is coming back out tomorrow to sort out a nagging cam journal issue. The cam I had repaired was a little sticky when I put it all together, and now I'm having second thoughts. I am going to plastigauge it, and go from there. I might need it ground a little bit, or just have a different cam worked over to match.

The rails look too nice not to use them...

→Dan

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yes those are pretty nice looking rails!
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

hell yeah.....
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I forget if I asked you before but where did you get your custom power steering lines from and how much were they? I need some bad. I picked up a steering rack that I'm going to rebuild and get a whiteline rack bushing for but I need new lines even more than a new rack.
Deride
Second Gear

Post by Deride »

That thing done yet? I miss it... <flashback>

</flashback>
2002 Impreza 2.0RS 6MT
2001 Impreza 2.5RS 5MT (winter beater)
1992 Jeep Cherokee
1994 SS 5MT RIP
1991 SS 5MT *SOLD*
1996 Legacy Outback 5MT *SOLD*
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

LOL Jeremy. Great pics.

kimokalihi, the power steering lines are put together using Aeroquip hose and fittings, along with the adapter fittings from Earls. I just went to the local Aeroquip industrial supplier, and after a conversation he put me onto the proper materials. I think I used a 300 series line and associated fittings, but I'll have to do some digging to know for sure. I probably have $100 into them. Otherwise, Pirtek can make lines quickly and reasonably.
→Dan

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Man I wouldn't know where to look for one of those places lol. What's pirtek?

I know my lines are pretty kinked and my power steering is nonexistant basically. It would be really nice to have flexible lines like yours look to be. The problem is with the DOHC heads they're bigger than the SOHC heads and the lines had to be bent a lot to get them to fit properly.
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

kimokalihi wrote:Man I wouldn't know where to look for one of those places lol. What's pirtek?

I know my lines are pretty kinked and my power steering is nonexistant basically. It would be really nice to have flexible lines like yours look to be. The problem is with the DOHC heads they're bigger than the SOHC heads and the lines had to be bent a lot to get them to fit properly.

http://www.pirtekusa.com/

"Bump O ring" adapters made by Earl's (http://www.anplumbing.com/shop/index.ph ... ept=Metric) convert everything to a -06 AN fitting. Once that is taken care of, any hydraulic supplier can set you up with what you need. Aeroquip has suppliers in the area, and I'm guessing there are other small hydraulic suppliers in the area.

If you are looking for part numbers and instructions, I can't help you there.
→Dan

Grayguy
Second Gear

UHEV Legacy Version 2.0

Post by Grayguy »

I know it's not as classy, but I had my lines cut and entended at my local hydraulic shop so I could reroute them as I pleased...
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

That works just fine. I wanted to be able to precisely dictate my length, since they are a tight fit.
→Dan

93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Reworked all the fuel lines for the new Outback rails and 1600cc injectors. 80psi of air ensured nothing leaks. I also wrapped the power steering lines in fiberglass, and then the Aeroquip silicone end tape, which bonds to itself. It was a serious PTIA, but it should work out. I think I will wrap those areas in aluminum tape to deflect the heat before it even gets to the silicone. The PSA will probably burn off, but that's not a big deal in my book.

That tape is a pain to work with, since it is completely unvulcanized and sticks to itself really easily. It should work out, however.

→Dan

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Very clean. I hope that tape doesn't leave a nasty sticky residue on your paint after being on there for so long. I left painters tape on my hood for a 6 months to a year and it deteriorated and left the sticky part on and I could not remove it all without gouging into the paint. This was in the weather though. It stained the hood and I never got the stain completely out.
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

It does leave some adhesive, but I am able to remove it. Goo-gone in a rag draped over it allows the fumes to loosen up the adhesive, without soaking the paint with the stuff.
→Dan