Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

I like the look of a clean manifold.
Yes I have too many Subarus
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
93 SS- "the original Robtune" (now in new hands)
smh0101
Fifth Gear

Post by smh0101 »

Any updates?
~Spencer
94 Legacy Turbo (550 Robtune/ej20h v2 Sti RA drivetrain)
94 Legacy Ti Wagon (5mt ej22e)
91 rhd Legacy GT Wagon (factory 5mt, ej20g)
93 rhd Legacy GT type S2 Sedan (4eat, ej20g)
91 rhd Legacy Ti Type S 1.8
03 Lincoln LS V8 Sport
08 300 SRT8
Airgne
Second Gear

Post by Airgne »

he is out of state right now. last he told me he has to pull the motor swap parts before the new can go in.
1997 Nissan Laurel ClubS25t
2001 Legacy Gt Ltd(167awhp&165.7awtq)Best 00-04 Legacy at WCSS11(West Coast Subaru Show)
1992 Legacy SS(Sold)
1991 Legacy L Wagon(Sold)(400,000+miles and running strong!!)
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Re: Kleinkid's new powerplant

Post by kleinkid »

No updates on the black '91, but have been working on the blue '94 SS. I have done a number of minor repairs in the past months, including new(used) tires and wheels, new spark plugs and wires, fluids, new battery, with box and hold down, replaced engine mounts, rerouted some of the engine sensor harness, spliced and installed a knock sensor of unknown quality as the car didn't have a knock sensor just bare wires where the connector should have been, new air filter, replaced intake elbow(had broken nipples), purge canister and lines with the check valve, put a bolt in the down pipe to tranny bracket, cleaned grounding points and installed where they were not, engine cover and brackets, new coolant temp sensor, temperature guage sender wire was broke so spliced a new connector on.

Just recently-- Mike Tracy came over and we removed the sunroof, cleaned parts resealed the rails and reinstalled it. Unfortunately, the rubber seal on the glass itself, which is the primary sealing point, is no good. Separated in several places and orange dust is falling out. Gaps between it and the hole in the roof allow massive amounts of water in, which cannot drain out the tubes fast enough. Tubes are clear, water just flows over the rails and comes in. But, Mike removed the combination meter because there were several lamps not installed and the speedo was not working. The speedo cable was broke down in the section that goes into the tranny. Mike took the combo meter, and sent back a working one and a speedo cable. I put the replacement parts in and now have lots of guage lights working, and a working speedometer.
Also have a airbag light blinking a code, along with several CEL codes. Now that we can see the check engine light, more fun begins. 12--starter switch, not sure yet. 22--knock sensor, not surprising that the used sensor I installed does not work, will replace with new. 32--oxygen sensor, will replace with new. 35--cannister purge solenoid valve yeah, that dum bass thing, will replace. 44--duty solenoid valve(wastegate control) aka BCS, more snooping around it required, but may replace. The car is in limp mode it would seem. While driving, when you press the accelerator it just does not go faster.
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

'94SS--Also, when the ignition is turned to ON, various solenoids ar clickinig and cycling. After I install parts the codes were for, will see what it does then.

I wouldn't be surprised if the old alarm system is somehow mated to the starter. Might be why code 12 is there.
Airgne
Second Gear

Post by Airgne »

anything new john? did will come over?
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

'94SS--Installed new O2 sensor, and canister purge solenoid valve. Relocated that valve out where you can get at it. Didn't want to frustrate myself by trying to get it back in stock position. Also installed new coolant temp sensor, just because.

All the codes are gone, except for the knock sensor, which is still there after installing a new one. Previously I had installed the harness side connector , which was missing when I got the car. Soldered the wire connections and I am not a pro, so think that is where the problem is. Will cut that out and waterproof crimp/heat seal. The revving when you depress the clutch pedal has gone away. Not sure why, but it is gone!
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Re: Kleinkid's new powerplant for the '91. '94 other

Post by kleinkid »

Installed a used STI five speed shifter in the '94. Slop is gone. Will work on the knock sensor issue next.
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

'94--Ran new wire for the knock sensor, still have the code, even tried a different ECU. What kind of knock does the knock sensor detect? Noise from a lean condition? Bearing failure knock?

Anyway, the engine makes a sound that leads me to believe there are bearing issues. Starting to consider rebuilding the engine, timing kit, new clutch.

Will be good training for when I pull the engine on the '91.
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

I don't think it will give you a code to be honest. I had a weird engine noise turned out to be my water pump.
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

Knock sensor CEL is gone now, as discussed in the electrical topic.

No longer in limp mode. New plugs go in next. Then struts, brakes, steering rack reseal kit.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Wheres the pictures of this car?
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

I have stock mud flaps to put on, and will sit lower when new struts and the H/R springs go on. Paint needs a good correction, will do that in spring.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Very clean! Nice car.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Thats a nice color too.
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

1994--Sept. 2012, Installed H&R springs, KYB GR2 struts, oem top mounts, helpers etc., rebuilt steering rack with new tie rod ends, ball joints, oem rotors, re built calipers with Speed Bleeder, oem pads, SS brake lines, de snorked, driver side door card(all match now).

Rear spoiler is off for repaint, working on that. Engine will be coming out, low compression on driver side, 50, 125, other side is 175, 185. I have another block on hand to rebuild.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Woohoo!
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

Been way too long since I touched this blue SS, apparently. Went to start it up and move it a little the other day and the clutch pedal would not depress. Mike suggested bleeding, so did that. No change. Slave cyl. and or clutch master cyl. are probably crapped up tight inside from water in fluid rusting up. Ordered the pieces to use a stainless braided clutch line(thanks Josh), will delete the damper and take the slave and master apart to see if they can be fixed using the repair kits.
smh0101
Fifth Gear

Post by smh0101 »

John! how have you been?

Did you finish the 2.5L on the black car?
When my slave cylinder went on my Legacy I replaced both the master cylinder and slave cylinder with one off an STi, I don't remember which specific year but it had the short tank on the top of it so it fit under my 06 top mount. Just an idea if they're too messed up for the repair kits to work.
~Spencer
94 Legacy Turbo (550 Robtune/ej20h v2 Sti RA drivetrain)
94 Legacy Ti Wagon (5mt ej22e)
91 rhd Legacy GT Wagon (factory 5mt, ej20g)
93 rhd Legacy GT type S2 Sedan (4eat, ej20g)
91 rhd Legacy Ti Type S 1.8
03 Lincoln LS V8 Sport
08 300 SRT8
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

Black car runs really good, so have not put the 2.5L in. Thanks for reminding me. I have an off set reservoir to use on the 94, just need to find it. Also have a 06 tmic on shelf to use. I need to, and am, picking up my pace on these things, hopefully get more done!
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

The piston in the slave cylinder was stuck tight in its bore. Drilled a hole clear through it and pulled it out. Bore is fine. Rebuilt it with a repair kit 30622AA001. Will put a Speedbleeder on it, their part number SB7100S. From Josh, these numbers, Earls part numbers ordered from JEGS. Stainless braided line 63011714, AN to banjo fittings 997631, banjo bolts 977517. On the slave cylinder, the slot where the An to Banjo fitting fits into, to lay flat, needs to be ground wider, so the banjo bolt passing through it lines up with the threaded hole in the slave.
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

Installed refurbished slave and clutch master cylinders, braided stainless steel line, Speed bleeder on slave, deleted the damper. Bled and pedal still not right. Stuck down with a little play, 1 1/2". Tried unbolting the slave and placing higher than the cms, bleed some more. No real change. Tried adjusting the mc rod at the pedal, shorter, longer, no difference. Have bled a lot. Do not see air bubbles.

What is this cammed over position discussed concerning the pedal spring?

This is kind of becoming an ordeal, so need to solve it.
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

Did you bench bleed the MC before installing it? That's about the only way I've been able to get a fresh/empty one to work right. Basically you just take it off and run a clear flexible hose from the port back into the reservoir and pump it a bunch of times by hand. I guess you could do on the car even but I've always just stuck it in a vice or something.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I've never had much success with bench bleeding. One thing I did try that helped is pushing the slave cylinder piston back in which forced fluid and air back to the master.

What symptoms are you having with the pedal? Is it not returning to the top of the stroke or is it just feel?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

The pedal will not return to the top of the stroke, even if you pull on the pedal. It stops cold. Will have more to report tomorrow.