The SLODRIVE '92 SS Build (Now with Dyno Sheet!)

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Re: The SLODRIVE '92 SS Build (Now w/ STANDALONE ECU INSTALL

Post by kimokalihi »

Awesome location on the sensor and still utilizing the BPV port. Nice work.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
macipusy
Third Gear

Post by macipusy »

Excellent work!!!

I'm very excited for being able to run the stock IAC with this system.

Looking forward to next wednesday when my Haltech goes in :-D
maciek puszynski

01 Impreza | v6 STi RA | 5mt | ej236t
93 Legacy Turbo | TW | 4eat | ej22t
16 WRX | 6mt | fa20
98 Legacy GT | wagon | 5mt | ej25d

2.36L Turbo - RSTi Build
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

You're gonna love it Maciek! I'll do my best to be there.

I finally drove from my shop to Harvey's dyno shop yesterday and got a lot of tuning done. Haltech uses a great interface, which made tuning a pretty straightforward matter...in less than an hour, I had all my low-load and low-boost tuning pretty much done. Not using a MAF anymore sure made tuning easier too. :wink: But then I ran into problems...it started shutting off at over 12 lbs. of boost, so I never got a decent pull at the 17-ish lbs. I was wanting to tune for. I finally checked the injector duty cycle at 12 lbs. (I know, should have checked WAY earlier) and it was right at 104%!!! :shock:

...And guess what...after driving off the dyno and around the block, my car died and wouldn't stay running for more than a few seconds after restarting. Yup, the fuel pump fried on the dyno. It was a JDM pump of unknown age, so I got a Walbro 255 pump from Harvey (thank God he stocks them!) and was up and running in less than an hour. I got it into boost on the way to my shop, and my wideband gauge bottomed out, it was so rich. :lol: I pulled a ton of fuel out of the high-load areas of the fuel map and now it runs great at 15+lbs. of boost.

I still have some tweaking to do, mostly to make it a little happier on a cold startup, but my SS is like a whole different machine now. Even as it drives now, it idles better and drives WAY smoother than it ever has, and I know it has a much safer tune than it ever could before. The next chance I get, I'll strap it back on the dyno and see what my little TD04 can do. Next on the agenda will be my 550s and an E85 tune. After that, I might have to start saving for a bigger turbo and a larger TMIC...maybe an FMIC if I find the right deal.

I'll post up a few more pictures of the install soon, maybe some screenshots of the program if I can get the time. Also, if anyone's really into this, I can put together a list of the ECU pinouts I used...
http://www.slodriveracing.com
-92 SS 5MT- EJ20H swap, Haltech standalone ECU, TD04, FXT TMIC, 3" exhaust, STi/AGX struts, JDM 5-speed, 4.111 LSD rear, Blitz EBC, etc.
-'93 L Wagon - Pink Roll Cage - "Dirty Leg"
-And more!
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Damn! I must entirely and completely thank you for your guinea pig status for all of us who are building up these "under the radar" cars!! The work you are doing with EMU's is awesome and creating leaps & bounds for taking builds in different directions. I now have a reason to perform a rebuild on my EJ20G heads and prepare for project completion at the end of spring in 2011.
Jason
'92 LSS "Trixie" - TD04, '06 WRX TMIC, Invidia D/P & TXS U/P, 3" APEX'i CBE, custom intake, TXS MBC & BPV
Perrin LCP, WRX & H6 brakes, S/S lines, Cusco H-brace & RSTB, AGX's, Progress springs, SimplySubie fender braces
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Nice work!

It is amazing just how changing the ECU can really affect how these motors run.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

Thanks Jason and Josh! You're far too kind, trust me. :lol:

Well, so far so good. I haven't been back on the dyno yet for a re-tune, but I did a little road tuning and it's been running pretty well. I haven't been able to do any tuning for a few days due to a dead laptop battery, but I've still been commuting with no issues.

However, I still made a change under the hood tonight. Since I no longer have any need for my MAF, I deleted it altogether and installed an airbox from an '06-'07 STi, complete with a new K&N filter.

Believe it or not, the airbox actually bolted right into existing holes in my Legacy, and the air inlet and mounting peg also matched the holes in the fenderwell. Too cool. :smt023 I still had to do a few things: I extended the outlet a few inches with a VERY tight-fitting pipe painted black,and I removed the mounting grommets to lower it a tad, both to get my silicone intake to line up. I also plugged the MAF hole with a Chevy 350 PCV grommet and a plastic plug. I know...but it seals tight and looks pretty good.
-92 SS 5MT- EJ20H swap, Haltech standalone ECU, TD04, FXT TMIC, 3" exhaust, STi/AGX struts, JDM 5-speed, 4.111 LSD rear, Blitz EBC, etc.
-And more!
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Its amazing how interchangeable these cars are!
Clean install. Please to be continuing the quality good work!
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Your engine bay is super clean. I love it. Good job.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

Hey, look what I did on Friday night! :D

189HP and about 205TQ on a conservative 91 octane tune @ 17lbs. of boost...pretty close to what I had figured. On this dyno, that's within the range of a Stage 2 WRX. Could be worse! It's definitely faster than it's ever been now. A/F under boost is right around 11.0 to 1, like I said, it's a safe tune!

A quick summary of my setup:
  • 1994 EH20H longblock and intake - 100%stock, resealed
    TD04H turbo from USDM WRX
    Forester TMIC
    Full3 inch stainless exhaust, Perrin twin-tip muffler
    Silicone turbo inlet, STi airbox
    Haltech Sprint 500 ECU, running stock sensors (except air temp) and OEM wasted spark ignition, MAF deleted
-And more!
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Re: The SLODRIVE '92 SS Build (Now with Dyno Sheet!)

Post by cj91legss »

awesome :)
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
Subiel94
Second Gear

Post by Subiel94 »

first i would like to say this is all awesome your doing a great job everything under the hood now is so clean. you did a great transformation on this car!
i have one question though. what was that a pillar 3 pod out of again? you said a wrx but what year? i just have a two pod one i screwed into my a pillar and it looks like junk. i would love to get my hands on that a pillar with pods you got. it looks nice. your engine is awesome btw.
yazmo
Third Gear

Post by yazmo »

have you ever think selling that PnP harness

cuz i would try this as well
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

Subiel94 wrote:first i would like to say this is all awesome your doing a great job everything under the hood now is so clean. you did a great transformation on this car!
i have one question though. what was that a pillar 3 pod out of again? you said a wrx but what year? i just have a two pod one i screwed into my a pillar and it looks like junk. i would love to get my hands on that a pillar with pods you got. it looks nice. your engine is awesome btw.
THANK you very much! The gauge pillar pod is out of some '02-'03 WRX, I don't know the brand. My buddy was going to toss it and I grabbed it from him while I was stockpiling parts for this build.
yazmo wrote:have you ever think selling that PnP harness

cuz i would try this as well
PM me if you're really interested, I can help you out!
-And more!
yazmo
Third Gear

Post by yazmo »

ill send pm very soon just need to get the same engine management as your i found pone for 941$
darkcrave
Second Gear

Re:

Post by darkcrave »

SLODRIVE wrote:Alright...my shoulder's feeling a little better...back to work!

While I was down, I ordered an Evoscan cable and the software. We have most of it working, except for a couple of sensors that give crazy readings. Hopefully we'll get it worked out.

I also found another cool item on the internet...check it out. 8)

I found it at Autosport Wiring ( http://www.autosportwiring.com ) for $159 plus shipping. It's very nicely made, with lots of epoxy at the dummy ECU end. It wasn't cheap, but was worth it for sure. Soldering under the dash just plain sucks ass.

I got out the F/IC manual, the Subaru wiring diagram, sone soldering stuff, and started merging the AEM harness to the ECM jumper. Since I can't find any evidence of anyone ever trying to wire one of these to an older Subaru, I'm on my own, so I plan on taking my time. The AEM F/IC harness is a bit scary at first, with 46 wires staring at you. A lot of the wires weren't applicable to the Legacy (hall-effect hookups, 2nd cam and o2 sensor hookups, etc.), so once I eliminated them, there were about 25 wires, and I'll probably only use 22 of those.

First, I teed in the power and ground wires, as well as the TPS sensor wire. Liquid electrical tape is a great thing to have at this point!
Just to see if the F/IC would even operate with the OBD1 crank/cam sensors, and to calibrate the computer, I cut and intercepted the cam and crank sensor wires.
That's all I'm going to wire up until I plug it in and find out if the car still runs the same as before, which it should if the F/IC doesn't mess up the cam or crank signals. At least it'll only take me a few minutes to find out at this point. I'll be back after I plug it in, drive around and fiddle with the lap-top (not all at the same time, lol). If all goes well, I'll continue on and wire in the injectors, the MAF, the wideband, and connect it to the MAP sensor to use as a very adjustable FCD.

Can you please make a how to on just wiring this up? lol! please?
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

Bump this thread! Great work SLO. I would love to see the pinouts you used. I just picked up a hydra nemesis 2.6, and am collecting info before i dive in. Please update your build thread. Thank you very much for what you have done so far.
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
Daniel Peralta
In Neutral

Post by Daniel Peralta »

Hey guy I'm new to the forum left rs25 and nosiac didn't help me much. I drive a 1997 impreza with a ej22 with dual port. I want to make it dohc and turbo. My goal is 360 whp, but for now 205hp is alright until I get a 6 speed tranny. I just got a good deal buying a 02 wrx ecu, intake manifold with injector and I believe is a NA dohc with cam but wrong cover for $135. Pleased help email me at lperaltarivera@gmail
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Welcome to the BBS.

What exactly are you wanting help with?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm