The SLODRIVE '92 SS Build (Now with Dyno Sheet!)

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

SLODRIVE
Third Gear

The SLODRIVE '92 SS Build (Now with Dyno Sheet!)

Post by SLODRIVE »

Hi all, I'm Greg, and what you're about to see is the ongoing saga of a Turbo Legacy being resurrected from a literal pile of trash into something that should be a blast for rally/rallyx, and will hopefully compete with the WRXes well. I'll also add that I have have never played with a turbo Subie motor before last fall, let alone crack open an EJ motor, so I still have a LOT to learn. :-) Check it out...

First, here was my crash course in EJ motors last fall...I rebuilt the motor in my buddy Rob's '04 STi, 100mm CP pistons and all. So far it still runs, lol. Definitely a shade different from all the iron V-8s I'm used to building.

OK, that's it for the "pretty" pics for a while now, haha...on to the Leggy.

During the Halloween weekend, in the middle of the above build, we saw a Craigslist ad for a Turbo Legacy rally car with a list of mods. The ad said it was set up for rally-x, and that it had a leaking head gasket. What reeled me in though was that the owner would consider a trade for a wagon. I had just that in my posession, a beautiful '93 L AWD 5-speed we got for $500 during the summer...

Suffice it to say my better judgment escaped me, and the next morning we were limping an overheating car the ten miles to my house. It didn't have any bottom-end knock, and before it overheated I saw 12-13 psi on the boost gauge. My head cleared up once I got home, got out of the car and stared at it for a minute. "What have we DONE?" :shock:

I found myself looking at the ugliest Legacy I had ever seen, and there's a lot of rough Legacies in Boulder County. My wife thought Rob and I were the dumbest guys on earth, and it was hard to make a good argument with her. I don't have photos of what the interior looked like that day, but all that was left was the (horribly trashed) front buckets and 4 ruined door panels, all flapping on the doors with no screws or clips. That and lots of garbage, busted parts, ruined tools and worse. No carpet, headliner, rear seats, console, or sunroof.

Right away I had to find some redeeming qualities, so I confirmed exactly what parts I could find on the car that were worth anything. There was enough to make me feel somewhat better:

-seemingly correct 5-speed with pull clutch, seems to shift okay
-3.90 LSD rear diff (out of a 91?) with a skid plate
-STi rear struts and AGX fronts with what I think are STi springs (they're stiff!)
-18mm front and 19mm rear sway bars
-drilled/slotted front rotors, Metal Master pads all around
-Correct 15" alloys
-TurboXS MBC
-TurboXS FCD
-front and rear strut bars (no idea what brand)
-the turbo hood from the car we traded him (LOL, I made him give it back to me)
...and of course, what we assumed (prayed) was an EJ22T motor with a VF11, in somewhat running condition.

I had to let the car sit in the driveway for a couple of weeks while I finished the STi motor, but no biggie, I thought...I'll slap some head gaskets on it and keep it running while we fix the body and interior up a little. The idea was to have a super-cheap SS to play in the dirt with, and to keep it all cheap and simple.

I know...go ahead and laugh, but there was no turning back once the wagon was gone, thus I have another project car...Hee hee!
Last edited by SLODRIVE on Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:28 pm, edited 5 times in total.
http://www.slodriveracing.com
-92 SS 5MT- EJ20H swap, Haltech standalone ECU, TD04, FXT TMIC, 3" exhaust, STi/AGX struts, JDM 5-speed, 4.111 LSD rear, Blitz EBC, etc.
-'93 L Wagon - Pink Roll Cage - "Dirty Leg"
-And more!
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

The same weekend the car got home, I went to the SEMA show in Vegas for a week, so I didn't touch or even think about the rolling dumpster in my driveway until I got home. Once I returned, I had to get started ASAP...even though I wasn't done with the STi motor yet, I had to reduce the eyesore factor, starting with the front end.

Here's the reason why the hood had an awful sunroof deflector mounted off-center in the above pics...it was to clear the intercooler!
I think it's from a Volvo 740. It was jammed in front of the radiator, which was in turn held in with electrical wire tied in knots. The "FMIC" piping was mostly gas-tank filler neck hose and junkyard rubber elbows. The hoses simply rested on top of the radiator, thus it wouldn't clear a stock hood. If you look closely you can even see an I/C sprayer setup on it. No photos of the "FMIC" installed because I ripped it out right away and chucked it across the yard in disgust. :-)

I grabbed the turbo hood I kept and threw it on. There was no hood latch at all, so I just used hood pins as before. I also rattle-canned a turbo grille I scored at the junkyard and swapped it for the thrashed Hellas/plastic window-mesh combo it had.

Now I can at least walk outside my garage without getting ill. It's still butt-ugly, but much, much better. Yes, all the lights up front are garbage, but that'll have to wait just a bit.

Next came the interior. After filling two large trash bags with debris from the inside, the remaining 2 seats and the door panels headed for the dump. Also, while cleaning out the interior, I looked at the FCD's wiring under the dash, only to find out it had never been hooked up. The ground wire was screwed under the dash to keep it from falling out, but that was all.

Here's how filthy it was after that point. Did I mention this car was still being driven by the previous owner right until he traded it to us? No kidding. Pics don't really do the filth justice, and you should be thankful for that, haha.

I bagged up the ECM, got out the Simple Green, a brush and the hose...a bit later that day, it had more of that "body-in-white" vibe to it.

As good luck would have it, the salvage yard had a '93 Legacy SS with an intact interior. $110 later, and I had the cool seats and door panels in. Some rubber floor mats from my old GTO were trimmed to fit, and a can of upholstery cleaner got it all looking pretty decent. I might pick up a console at some point, but other than that, I think that's going to be it for the interior. At least for quite a while.

Much more ugliness to come, stay tuned...
Last edited by SLODRIVE on Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
-92 SS 5MT- EJ20H swap, Haltech standalone ECU, TD04, FXT TMIC, 3" exhaust, STi/AGX struts, JDM 5-speed, 4.111 LSD rear, Blitz EBC, etc.
-And more!
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

A couple of weekends later, the STi was up and running...time to get under the hood of the Legacy.

Here's the engine compartment as we got the car, less the home-made FMIC. (Never mind the crazy intake boot-we made it out of hose chunks from the FMIC so we could drive the car up the driveway.) The coolant tank was busted, so we "borrowed" the STi's for a few minutes.

The underhood wiring was a total mess...tons of bare wires twisted together, wire nuts and stuff.
Here's just a couple of examples:

Engine coming out...I gotta say, only 4 trans-to-engine bolts is nice!

The factory VF11 already had a broken flange, and a bolt was rusted solid and snapped off during removal. I guess we might as well upgrade, eh? :twisted:

The air filter was stainless mesh like a marine filter, believe it or not. Sheesh.

Engine out, everything inside and ready to tear down:
-And more!
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

Things went from bad to worse as we tore the motor down.

The timing covers were all busted, and the inners were melted, even around the mounting holes! Not a good sign...

I pulled the heads off and checked for any signs of damage. They looked okay for the most part, but I noticed that the 2 heads had different valve springs and retainers, each set at a different installed height. I was not amused.

As for the short block...it was indeed a closed-deck EJ22, but my heart sank when I looked into the cylinder bores. Mind you, this motor didn't smoke or knock on the drive home, so I wasn't really prepared to see how corroded the cylinders were from coolant leaks, mostly on the #1 and #3 cylinders. Grrrr....
-And more!
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Yikes! She got a little hot, eh?
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
SiCkSTi04
Second Gear

Post by SiCkSTi04 »

any pictures of the wagon you traded for the SS?
-04 WRX STi - Java Black Pearl - Cobb Stage 2
-02 Forester Type S premium - Platinum Silver Metallic - Stock
-92 Legacy Sport Sedan - Onyx Black Pearl - Stock
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

SiCkSTi04 wrote:any pictures of the wagon you traded for the SS?
Here's one (sniff, sniff)...What a great car it was.
93forestpearl wrote:Yikes! She got a little hot, eh?
Oh yeah...The guy we got the car from said he "just" replaced the radiator, the coolant overflow was leaking, and there was only one (badly re-wired) cooling fan. Can you say "baked potato"? :lol:
-And more!
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

I know what happened. He used a FRAM filter. No wonder. :lol:
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

holy shit thats exactly what my silver wagon looked like!!! I even had the stamped forester wheels on it! did you have cooper cobras on those wheels???? That fucker told me he was totalling that car@
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

Haha, it couldn't have been yours unless you're an old hippie from Boulder...it was a one-owner car when we bought it. The Forester wheels were added by us, and then removed when we found out how weak they were.
-And more!
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

Back to the current Legacy...

Once we saw the damage to the bores, we knew any semblance of a "cheapo" engine repair was out the window. After some reading (mostly here) and discussion, we decided that the plan would be to rebuild the shortblock with Wiseco pistons, and to find some sort of Phase I DOHC heads and intake. Thus, we began pooling cash and parts in preparation.

In the meantime, I collected a few things for later:

-A TD04 in good shape, $50 dropped off at my store.

-A Forester XT intercooler, also $50.

I also made a BPV adapter to make life easier later, I made it for "free"...
It'll clear the throttle linkage, as well as route the BPV hose under the throttle body:

Not pictured but also in my possession are the stock injectors and fuel pump from Rob's STi, as well as a cat-back from a WRX...all "free", left-over parts. No actual engine parts yet, but we're Craigslisting everything else we own, and I'm doing some auto repair in my garage to scrape up some cash. Soon...
Last edited by SLODRIVE on Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
-And more!
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Do you mean phase II SOHC heads? Phase I are DOHC, IIRC. I believe the ph. II flow better, though.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

beatersubi wrote:Do you mean phase II SOHC heads? Phase I are DOHC, IIRC. I believe the ph. II flow better, though.
Sorry, that was a typo...I meant Phase I DOHC heads. Fixed now...but yeah, we'd like to find some EJ20G/H/R/? heads and intake, and I'm researching my options.
-And more!
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

pretty sure i have seen that car at rallyx before. was it an older dude kinda short with glasses? i think you made out ok if you got $500 and some gas in it.
good luck with the bore roundness. if its good they should at least clean up to .050 over or whatever it is
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

206er wrote:pretty sure i have seen that car at rallyx before. was it an older dude kinda short with glasses? i think you made out ok if you got $500 and some gas in it.
good luck with the bore roundness. if its good they should at least clean up to .050 over or whatever it is
That's the guy. You have definitely seen this car before. I'm curious how it did when you saw it...I've never really seen this car run, lol!

Here's what the short-block looks like as of now...we're still 2 or 3 weeks away from ordering Wisecos and sourcing heads.

In the meantime, I did a little more cleanup work on the car.

Here's the engine compartment after repairing the wiring harness and doing some pressure-washing. You can see how the brake lines are all mis-routed, I'll get to that later.

I also undertook my very first attempt at bodywork, since this car needs a fair amount of it. Luckily, someone left a Mac Tools 10-ton porta-power in my garage back when I was oval track racing.

I put it to good use, as the below pictures show.

Check out the lower radiator support...sorry about the lousy picture, but you can see how it's bent up.

After using the porta-power:

I then tried to straighten out the mashed-in rear quarter panel. It needs more work for sure, but it looks much better.

Before:Image

After:
-And more!
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Sweet tool to find lying around.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
RJ93SS
Third Gear

Post by RJ93SS »

keep it comin, i'm liking this build, nice work
93SS 04 wrx brakes/slotted w/ hawks--TD05 -- 06 I/C -- 20mm n/a fsb -- Stage 2 -- 550's -- Perrin DIV DP -- 2-3/4 Tit Exhaust -- K&N -- C/C -- A/C Delete -- Grounded -- GT Leather Interior -- WRX/STI Strut Setup -- 17" 225's -- 2 Kids Seats ;)
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

Hmmm, what's this???
?????

Muahahahaha.......

This JUST showed up on my driveway this afternoon...a 1994 EJ20H engine. It looks a bit crusty (no surprise), but appears to be complete. The plan is now to swap in the complete EJ20H longblock, replace the timing stuff and whatnot, and pray it lives while we build the EJ22T shortblock.

Some more quick shots/notes...
440cc injectors...sweetness
I'm not too sure about the intake manifold...I sure hope that TPS is compatible with the factory computer/harness. I'll find out :)
If it does work, looks like a WRX intake tube will be in order...
Oil cooler...nice...

Time to clear out the garage, cover the GTO, and pull the SS back inside...I gotta lotta work to do!
-And more!
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Nice. I trust you got a deal on it.
In the first pic it looks like a classic American muscle car is about to ingest a modern-era JDM heart.
Fkyx
Third Gear

Post by Fkyx »

How do you plan to fit the twin-turbo setup in?
Matthew aka F[b][color=red]k[/color][/b]yx
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan "Jillian" - [url=http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=39548]EJ20G swap[/url]
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

Fkyx wrote:How do you plan to fit the twin-turbo setup in?
Whaddya mean? That twin-turbo setup is a direct fit...

into the trash can! I have a TD04 and an FXT TMIC that I'm going to use.
beatersubi wrote:Nice. I trust you got a deal on it.
In the first pic it looks like a classic American muscle car is about to ingest a modern-era JDM heart.
Ya, I got a decent deal, and it arrived earlier than expected. My old GTO's just laughing at that tiny little motor-it's got a 464 cubic inch (7.5 liter) engine. No need for turbos or overhead cams there, lol!
-And more!
ScottyS
Second Gear

Post by ScottyS »

Dude, I thought my SS was bad when I started.....N/M, you win.
1991 SS build thread: http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=40430
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

ScottyS wrote:Dude, I thought my SS was bad when I started.....N/M, you win.
LOL, I'd be pretty surprised to see a sorrier-looking SS. I know I'm polishing a turd, but I'm having fun!

Before I could bring the engine/trans inside, I had to get the transmission off of my engine stand. Here it is, new seals and all:

Time for the real fun. I dragged the whole thing inside...

The engine and transmission turned out to be frozen together. The two were somewhat corroded together, and the dowel pins were welded to both as well. I have never had such a tough time getting a transmission off of anything, but after an overnight soak in PB Blaster I was able to move the pins and get it apart.

The clutch was nasty and blue, and the flywheel had deep heat cracks in it. The SS had a WRX clutch put in it not long before we got it, so that's what's going back on.
(Along with a new rear main seal!)

Finally sitting on the stand...

After disconnecting lots of oil/coolant/vacuum lines and pulling the up-pipes, the turbos came off. The engine looks a lot more "normal" now. :lol:
The heater hoses run across the top of the bellhousing. I'll probably have to re-route them to clear the IC.

Front accessories removed:

By this time, I had a nice little collection of cool extras...spare alternator and starter, 2 BPV valves, a nifty metal coolant overflow tank, and a cool-looking finned power steering pump. I also had tons of vacuum connectors, tees, hose clamps and whatnot. Nice stuff to have around IMO.
Pile of unusable stuff:

A little later...manifolds off!

The difference in port size between these heads and the EJ22 heads is pretty shocking in person. Here they are side by side:

The EJ20H intake gasket was a perfect match to the port. Here it is on top of the EJ22 turbo head... :shock:

One bad note: I saw some rusty crust in one of the intake ports, as if some water got in there between Japan and here or something. The motor turns over fine and the plugs look okay, so I'm going to squirt some oil in there and pray. Remember, I only really need the heads and intake...

I pulled both valve covers to check for any obvious damage. Everything looked reasonably clean and smooth.

Finally, I pulled the timing covers. The belt is a factory Subaru unit, probably the original one. I'll need a new timing kit and a water pump (this one was seeping from the looks of it), maybe an oil pump too. We still have some low-mileage STi stuff sitting around, so I might use the water and oil pumps to get by while the EJ22 shortblock gets the "good stuff".

Time to collect more parts! Stay tuned...
-And more!
ScottyS
Second Gear

Post by ScottyS »

Sweet. Looks like you're having fun!

When I took my seat off the other day, I found that the fuel pump harness had been cut and spliced with crimps at some point.....making it too short with a lot of tension. I soldered in 5 new 6" extenders to remedy that, but yah, every time I open something up, I see a fix-it issue....
1991 SS build thread: http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=40430
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

What turbos did it have on it?