The SLODRIVE '92 SS Build (Now with Dyno Sheet!)

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

mlitz123
First Gear

Post by mlitz123 »

i want to know how the drive went.... :-D dont leave us in such hanging.
mlitz123
First Gear

Post by mlitz123 »

wow, im tired... i should read my posts before i actully post them.
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

Interesting about the Evo harness being the same, I had no idea. I ordered the Legacy EJ20G harness, part number ASW200, apparently they're always in stock.

I don't mind crimp connectors on certain places around the car, but I ALWAYS solder ECM connections in the name of reliability and low resistance. The trick I found is to use high quality solder and just enough heat that the solder doesn't wick up into the wires and make them stiff. I've just seen way too many problems associated with crimp connectors used for this kind of thing.
mlitz123 wrote: i want to know how the drive went.... :-D dont leave us in such hanging.
However you're hanging is strictly your choice! :lol: As soon as I get a chance (I'm playing with the kids today) I'll plug it in and report back.
http://www.slodriveracing.com
-92 SS 5MT- EJ20H swap, Haltech standalone ECU, TD04, FXT TMIC, 3" exhaust, STi/AGX struts, JDM 5-speed, 4.111 LSD rear, Blitz EBC, etc.
-'93 L Wagon - Pink Roll Cage - "Dirty Leg"
-And more!
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

PhyrraM wrote:It's also the EVO 7 harness adapter if those are easier to find.
For really?
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

That's definitely a nice find on the ECU patch harness.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
GodSquadMandrake
First Gear

Post by GodSquadMandrake »

Thanks. I'm gonna pick one of those up and save an EJ22T harness from the knife.
-Doug Wilson
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

Okay, okay...I finally got done with a bunch of "other" projects (including fixing up the latest wagon here) and found time to plug the F/IC in. I did the setup steps as per the generic instructions, turned the key (prayed a little first), and.....

And.....

WHOOHOO! The damn thing actually works!

The TPS and RPM signals appear to be right on, so that means that the rest of the install should be a success. It has its own MAP sensor as well, so I have pressure readings already. I'm wiring up the injectors, MAF, MAP, etc. tonight...more to come!
-92 SS 5MT- EJ20H swap, Haltech standalone ECU, TD04, FXT TMIC, 3" exhaust, STi/AGX struts, JDM 5-speed, 4.111 LSD rear, Blitz EBC, etc.
-And more!
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

F'n sweet!!!!!!!! That HAS to be a heavy load off your mind now!
Jason
'92 LSS "Trixie" - TD04, '06 WRX TMIC, Invidia D/P & TXS U/P, 3" APEX'i CBE, custom intake, TXS MBC & BPV
Perrin LCP, WRX & H6 brakes, S/S lines, Cusco H-brace & RSTB, AGX's, Progress springs, SimplySubie fender braces
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

dropdfocus wrote:F'n sweet!!!!!!!! That HAS to be a heavy load off your mind now!
Yeah, for sure. I posted the last pic a few minutes after I took it, and I now have the rest of the ECM patch harness wired up. Injectors, MAF, and MAP, along with the crank/cam sensors, TPS, and power wires from earlier. I'll be ready to plug in and start tuning whenever I get time, which should be this weekend. At this point, I don't even want to imagine wiring this mess up under the dash without the ECU patch harness. I'm definitely spoiled for life now, LOL!

Some highlights of the F/IC I've seen so far:
  • -Relatively cheap, usually about $350 (unless you have an Ebay coupon, then it's a lot less 8) )
    -Tunes in real-time and auto-saves everything, so you don't have to remember to save any changes (Can be a mixed bag if you're not paying attention!)
    -VERY friendly computer interface, easy to configure & read the maps and gauges.
    -Clearly marked wiring harness.
    -Calibrations can be made/saved either in real time connected to the F/IC, or on your laptop when not connected and flashed into the piggyback. You can also connect to it and change/load calibrations even if it's not wired into the car, for what that's worth.
    -It can actually make its own fuel and ignition maps after entering some variables (inj. size, max RPM, max boost). Not good for a car that's already factory turboed, but great for a turbo swap.
    -Has an "automatic" RPM and TPS calibrating feature that's so easy it's just silly.
So far, the only minus I have run across is that you can't advance timing, just retard it. I doubt that'll be too big of a deal for me, since the EJ20H has higher compression than an EJ22T, thus the factory ECM may be giving me more timing than I need anyway. There may well be more negatives that I haven't found yet...I'll be sure to share those as I go. As far as I know, I may well be the first guy to ever use one of these on an OBD1 Legacy, so I'll try to put up as much info as I can for whoever else may want to go this route.

Stay tuned! :smt047
-And more!
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Oooo! I'm definitely going to start watching this. I'm interested in how it all works out for you.
-Aaron

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
GodSquadMandrake
First Gear

That's cool that it has a built in MAP sensor and all that for just $350. EMU is over $500 and you have to buy the MAP sensor after the fact. Yeah this is getting really interesting I can't wait to see where you go with the F/IC!
-Doug Wilson
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

That is so the hotness right there!!! Well worth the $159 spent for sure. 8)
Last edited by dropdfocus on Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jason
'92 LSS "Trixie" - TD04, '06 WRX TMIC, Invidia D/P & TXS U/P, 3" APEX'i CBE, custom intake, TXS MBC & BPV
Perrin LCP, WRX & H6 brakes, S/S lines, Cusco H-brace & RSTB, AGX's, Progress springs, SimplySubie fender braces
brand
First Gear

Post by brand »

Very cool, thanks for sharing your experience
91 SS with a bunch of parts waiting on the shelf
94 SS with things and such
08 STI with stuff and junk
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

Update...The F/IC WORKS. The car responds immediately to any changes in the maps. The datalogger isn't the best, but at least it has one. We mostly drove around to try some settings so far, took a bit of timing out of the bottom end, and set up a "fuel cut defender" to limit the voltage the ECM sees from the factory MAP sensor. All I have to hook up is the wideband to the F/IC, and I'm 'a crankin' up the boost some more. :smt025
-And more!
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Once you get it pretty well nailed down, are you going to ship it off for a dyno tune?
Jason
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

The only thing you really can't tune on the road optimally is the timing. In this case, it is a matter of pulling timing only.

Glad to see it working out as well as you expected. Go to a dyno day when you get her all dialed in.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
GodSquadMandrake
First Gear

Nice! You should throw up some of your data logs so we can see what kind of timing, injector duty cycle, and how long it takes your turbo to spool.
-Doug Wilson
91legacyawdturbo
Second Gear

Post by 91legacyawdturbo »

+1 really need some em for my leg I dont have 3g's for an altronic unit.
91 SS, v9 ej207 twin scroll swap, Gda wrx dash swap.
2002 wrx sport wagon
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

GodSquadMandrake wrote:Nice! You should throw up some of your data logs so we can see what kind of timing, injector duty cycle, and how long it takes your turbo to spool.
I now have some F/IC logs after some more driving and tuning...but to be honest, I have no clue how to post them here. :smt017 I can say, however, that so far I'm really happy with what this piggyback does and it works as advertised.

As of today, I've had this EJ20H safely up to 13+ lbs. of boost and 6500 RPMs, and it feels solid and smooth. Right now I have the A/F a little rich at the top end (10.8-11.3:1), but the injectors are maxing in the mid-high 70% duty range, so there's still a little more room to go there before the STi yellows are needed. The Hitachi MAF hasn't maxed out yet (probably thanks to being at 5000ft. altitude), but it's close...I've seen around 4.8 volts so far. There'll be a JECS MAF under the hood in the near future, I guess.

Here's the best place I found to mount the F/IC. It barely tucks in behind the lower dash panel...I even had to trim the lower steering column cover a bit to make sure it didn't hit it if the wheel's tilted down all the way. You can't see from the pic, but it's secured to the panel with rivets and double-sided tape. The white USB cable runs behind the dash over to the passenger side footwell for now, but I have a flush-mount cable I'm going to put somewhere out of the way.

I also dug up a plug for the wideband O2 input, 12v switchable output, and a wire that can either turn on the internal data logger or switch between 2 calibrations. For now, I just have the wideband wire hooked up; I've been logging through the laptop and I haven't thought up a good use for the 12v output yet.

On another front: I just couldn't stand to look at the blue paint "highlights" on the body any longer, as in the car was literally too ugly to drive. So, I picked up $20 worth of Rustoleum and masking tape to temporarily "fix" it until it's ready for an actual paint job. The car still looks like total ass, but not nearly as bad :roll:, and to be honest it's come a long ways since it first got here.

Before (pics recycled from page 1 of this thread):

And now (Yes, I had to paint over the door trim, I'll get new ones):

Coming soon: more boost. Whee! :smt038

P.S. I plan on going to the dyno after I'm happy with the tune, just to see what the final HP/TQ numbers turn out to be. I'll be sure to post up a dyno sheet whenever that happens...
-And more!
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

4.8 volts is more or less pretty darn close to maxing out. A lot depends on the reference voltage too. Once your injectors go static, then you know your MAF is maxed. You will probably get a little bit more, and they'll go from 75% IDC to 100%.

Email me the logs and I'll host them for you.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

Legacy777 wrote:4.8 volts is more or less pretty darn close to maxing out. A lot depends on the reference voltage too. Once your injectors go static, then you know your MAF is maxed. You will probably get a little bit more, and they'll go from 75% IDC to 100%.

Email me the logs and I'll host them for you.
Thanks Josh, good to know. The injectors haven't gone static open at any point yet, but there's not going to be any additional boost until I swap MAFs and re-tune.

I'll also get a few logs together this week and send 'em to you (with gratitude!)
-And more!
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Post them up and I'll take a look at them too. If you can figure out the code function that helps.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
91legacyawdturbo
Second Gear

Post by 91legacyawdturbo »

Car looks alot better with the paint.
91 SS, v9 ej207 twin scroll swap, Gda wrx dash swap.
2002 wrx sport wagon
GodSquadMandrake
First Gear

Yeah it looks way better. Glad to hear the F/IC is going well.
-Doug Wilson
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

You could always paint the door trim black. That way it gets rid of the chrome strip at the same time and still looks bad ass ;)
-Aaron