Project RallyX: 1991 Legacy Turbo

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

Pita84
In Neutral

Project RallyX: 1991 Legacy Turbo

Post by Pita84 »

We are off on a good start of putting the legy on a diet and getting ready for the first race of the year. Some have seen the other post, please feel free to comment on that post.
http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=39418

We will keep a running update of our progress and if you have any thoughts or ideas please feel free to PM or post on the other forum.

Here are a few photos of the purchase day and the two days after.

Enjoy.

On the trailer, our first encounter.

First time on the Rack

The ingenious homemade downpipe we discovered.

A few spring helpers

A ghetto fabulous exhaust mount and exhaust

First weight reduction

The VF11 turbo is seized, the plan is to throw a td04 and a wrx intercooler we have sitting around on it and call it a day for a while. It does have the 3.9 limited slip and obvious 2.2T with a 5 speed. Step one is to get the brakes fixed and loose as much weight as possible.

If anyone needs legacy parts besides drive line, let us know!

PARTS NEEDED - (New or Used) : (PM with price or donation Very Happy)
Right front steering knuckle with hub.

Sponsors (PM to inquire) -
Axels Automotive - www.axelsautomotive.com
92 Rally
BG Fluids - www.bgprod.com

Here she is before we started to tear into it.. I wanted to see how she would look with my numbers on it, LOL..

The power plant! Turbocharged 2.2L closed deck goodness!

There was a god awful knocking noise while driving this thing. After further investigation we found out that the transmission cross member was not completely secured! The bolt that goes into the body on the passenger side would not get tight, or loosen. The threads in the body broke off, so the damn thing just spun.... Well, we needed to address the issue sooner or later.. :D

Here is Nick getting ready to fix the problem...

And the cutting torch...

After that, we got the transmission out and called it a night.... The fun would start the next day.

While I was working on taking the motor out, Nick was busy with the bad right front wheel bearing..

What he found when he pulled the knuckle out.. Looks like we need a new knuckle..

Strike a pose!! Engine is out! Nick on the left, me on the right.

TDO4 on the left, VF11 on the right..

Starting to strip the engine bay of unwanted crap...

Pile of crap... The bumper beam will make its way back on the car but only after a diet!

Another 15.26 pounds of weight deleted!

So thats a good 80lbs shed off of the front clip of this vehicle already! Thats a pretty decent start to this project. My goal was to drop 500lbs to get the total curb weight around 2500-2600lbs.

As she sits right now..
92 Rally
First Gear

Post by 92 Rally »

I want to welcome aboard our newest sponsor, Team Illuminata!! WOOT!!!

We have not had to much time lately to really work on this thing. This week we plan on really getting to work on it. We would really like to get it ready for the first RallyX race on the 19th of this month. So a week and a few days away! We really hope we can do it, but there is a lot to be done!

List of what we need to get done:
-Run new brake lines after ABS delete
-Rear brake job (with calipers)
-Install our FREE 04 WRX struts w/ wagon springs
-Replace front knuckle/hub/wheel bearing/balljoint
-Fix transmission cross member bolt in body
-Install transmission
-Replace CV boots on front axles
-Replace flywheel
-Install clutch
-Heli-Coil exhaust manifold stud
-Install exhaust manifold/up-pipe
-Install TDO4 turbo
-Install motor mounts
-Install motor back in car
-Fabricate and install custom intake and turbo inlet
-Install TMIC (fabrication required)
-Fabricate a bracket for aux coolant reservoir
-Install hood scoop
-Replace fuel filter
-Gut interior

...I am sure I am missing a few things, but you get the idea. We have a LOT to do!!

Tonight we shed a few more pounds off of the front end! We removed the ABS pump, and wiring harness, and all of the heat shields on the exhaust manifold/up-pipe. Tonights total weight savings is a grand total of 30lbs 7oz!!! That brings the total weight savings so far to..... 111lbs !!!

Installed timing belt, newer water pump, newer roller bearings...

Heat shields..

ABS delete
[b][color=white]-Ryan-[/color][/b]
"We live for a good time, not for a long time." -Colin Mcrae

[url=http://wrxmodders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15103]Project RallyX: 1991 Turbo Legacy[/url]
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

The guys on DirtyImpreza are watching this build HARD!!! :mrgreen:
Jason
'92 LSS "Trixie" - TD04, '06 WRX TMIC, Invidia D/P & TXS U/P, 3" APEX'i CBE, custom intake, TXS MBC & BPV
Perrin LCP, WRX & H6 brakes, S/S lines, Cusco H-brace & RSTB, AGX's, Progress springs, SimplySubie fender braces
92 Rally
First Gear

Post by 92 Rally »

dropdfocus wrote:The guys on DirtyImpreza are watching this build HARD!!! :mrgreen:

You know how I roll! :smt074
92ss satinsvoice
Third Gear

Post by 92ss satinsvoice »

so far 110Lbs shaved. not bad :-D
Andy
94 L n/a 5spd, Rip
92 ss burgundy, weekend toy - owner since 2006
mods: too much to list, lost track after $16,000
91 ss champagne - Rip
93 L wagon - Sold (in the family)
97 OBW LTD - Sold (in the family)
88 Leon GL Hatchback - DD
92 Rally
First Gear

Post by 92 Rally »

HeliCoil exhaust manifold studs- DONE!

Manifolds, crossover and motor mounts- DONE!!

ABS Delete- DONE!

The ABS pump was removed, and then the appropriate lines were T'ed and coupled together.

New rear brakes! Junkyard calipers, new brake pads and rotors..

For fun..

[url=http://wrxmodders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15103]Project RallyX: 1991 Turbo Legacy[/url]
92 Rally
First Gear

Post by 92 Rally »

We got some parts in finally! Our 2.25"-3" 90deg elbow from siliconeintakes.com showed up. Also we got our silicone Y-Pipe for the intercooler and throttle body coupler! Wiring harness has been moved around some to make room for the Y-pipe, along with the PCV system. This thing is ALMOST ready to drop back in....

Before we do that though, we are prepping the car for some seam welding! Might as well while everything is out right?

One more thing arrived this week, our FREE 04 WRX struts! WOOT!!

92 Rally
First Gear

Post by 92 Rally »

Update Time!!

Started to gut this thing over the weekend!

Before:

After:

Weight savings time!!

94.59lbs

100.4lbs

44.7lbs

Total weight savings to date = 350lbs and still more to come!

Lets face it, there will be additional weight going back in that we can not really calculate. We are going to try our damn best to calculate it close to get an approximate weight loss number before we put it on the scales.

Some other pictures of the carnage!

kbeefy
First Gear

Post by kbeefy »

Nice!
I have a '92 ss leggy also and am in the process of setting it up for some light competition as well. I already have another 'extremely' built car so this one will retain daily driver duties and not be quite as involved as your build.

FWIW, this is whats done so far....
rebuilt 5mt to include replacing 1-2 selector hub and synchros
lightweight ACT flywheel
replacement Exeddy clutch
KYB AGX struts
Whiteline Adjustable RSB
aftermarket 3" TBE

not installed:
Whiteline AGX
Spring upgrade, probably GC sleves (?)
WRX Turbo and Intercooler
Boost, EGT and Wideband O2
Boost controller

ABS delete
AC Delete
(just to clean up the engine compartment)
'92 Legacy SS, AGX, GC coilover, ALK, 20mm ARSB, FCD, MBC, iceracer, rallyx and DD
'87 Mustang GT roadracer, to many mods to list
kbeefy
First Gear

Post by kbeefy »

kbeefy wrote:Nice!
I have a '92 ss leggy also and am in the process of setting it up for some light competition as well. I already have another 'extremely' built car so this one will retain daily driver duties and not be quite as involved as your build.

FWIW, this is whats done so far....
rebuilt 5mt to include replacing 1-2 selector hub and synchros
lightweight ACT flywheel
replacement Exeddy clutch
KYB AGX struts
Whiteline Adjustable RSB
aftermarket 3" TBE

not installed:
Whiteline AGX
Spring upgrade, probably GC sleves (?)
WRX Turbo and Intercooler
Boost, EGT and Wideband O2
Boost controller

ABS delete
AC Delete
(just to clean up the engine compartment)

EDIT

Gosh, wheres the Edit button on this forum?

KYB AGX not installed yet, Whiteline ALK is installed.
'92 Legacy SS, AGX, GC coilover, ALK, 20mm ARSB, FCD, MBC, iceracer, rallyx and DD
'87 Mustang GT roadracer, to many mods to list
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

There's no edit button on this forum due to the special privilages to start new threads.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
92 Rally
First Gear

Post by 92 Rally »

I think the decision has been made to change up our intake (pre turbo) idea. Since these cars did not come equipped with a under the manifold inlet pipe, many get a 90deg silicone elbow and put it right on the turbo and plumb there intake that way. We tried this method, and are not happy with it! We have decided to get a WRX power steering pump, and remote reservoir. This will enable us to put a stock WRX turbo inlet under the manifold. I think this is by far the best way to do a turbo inlet on these cars. The manifold is going to come off, and somethings need to get moved around to make this work. I think it will be well worth the effort!

92 Rally
First Gear

Post by 92 Rally »

Made some more progress today!

Got the intake manifold off of the motor, along with the power steering pump. Removed the wiring harness and fuel lines from the manifold. Test fit the pass-through turbo inlet and figured out what all needed to be trimmed. Cut off 3 tabs off of the manifold to make room. Then I had to hack up the turbo inlet for more clearance. I had to remove a few nipples and then plug them so they don't leak air. Now all we need to do is hack up the fuel lines so we can reroute them with rubber fuel line, and redo our PCV system.... Not to mention install the new WRX power steering pump.

I got the front struts/springs installed, along with the right front knuckle/wheel bearing/ball joint... Got to finally install my rally wheels and tires on the front of this thing... I did not get to the rears because I did not have the rear springs with me. After I did all of that I decided to try some seam welding. Talk about a headache!! The seams need to be SPOTLESS in order to lay a bead down with the welder. I need to spend a good amount of time cleaning the seams under the car so I can get it all welded up. I did manage to weld up some seams, but there is a lot left to do!

92 Rally
First Gear

Post by 92 Rally »

Been lazy with the camera lately, but we have actually got a good amount done. Got the transmission tunnel all seam welded up along with some other seams under the car. After we did that, we undercoated it with G.G.U by Winzer (Grit Gravel Underbody paint).. Then we were almost ready to install the transmission. We still had to address the broken boss in the frame for the transmission cross member. Nick cut a hole in the passengers floor board to gain access to the area where it was broken. We then installed the transmission and simply just nut and bolted it there. I will go in and weld the nut to the frame later. Installed all 4 WRX shocks and WRX wagon springs. Still need to notch the strut holes to gain some negative camber. Since the struts were installed, we decided to put on the 205-55-R16 rally tires and wheels that we have. The fronts needed some clearance at full lock, but a sledge hammer and a sawzall cured that problem quick. And we also played around with our racing buckets. Took the original seat frame off and will be adapting it to the racing buckets.

The motor is coming along slowly.... The fuel lines are almost done, I just need to run the lines. Everything is cut and ready to go, I just need time to put into it. Then some new intake gaskets and some new coolant lines and we should be ready to roll!

Pictures to come soon!

Pita84
In Neutral

Post by Pita84 »

Worked on the car a little farther. Ryan may post some pictures at some point.... Ryan did some modification to the stock Power steering pump, Removing the mounting base from the reservoir and welding a tube to allow for remote reservoir and clearance for the under manifold intake. I Routed the fuel lines under intake to passenger side injectors and started to run coolant lines from crossover pipe to intake locations. I was debating on using the STI crossover and wiring the 3 pin sensor to the Legacy harness, but not sure if it would gain to much and be too much of a headache. Not 100% sure if the STI coolant sensor with 3 pins would work with the ECU and I/C the correct way. Wiring diagrams suggest it may if wired correctly. Seems the STI crossover would sit lower and allow a small amount more room for the intake under the manifold.

Engine may have a chance to be together through the weekend and and ready for reintroduction to its considerably less cluttered home.
92 Rally
First Gear

Post by 92 Rally »

PICTURES!!

WRX struts/springs are in, and the 205-55-16 Maxsport Rally Tyres are ON!

Coolant reservoir relocation

Under manifold turbo inlet w/ modified stock power steering pump!

Fuel line routing over turbo inlet

The stupid boss that busted off in the frame/body

92 Rally
First Gear

Post by 92 Rally »

Here is a link with more information about the modified power steering pump..
http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic. ... 801#290801

92 Rally
First Gear

Post by 92 Rally »

I keep forgetting the darn camera at work!

Anyway, we got some more stuff done to this turd!

-Transmission is IN.

-Motor is all back together and back IN the car!

-Clutch reservoir has been modified to clear the intercooler

-Deleted the clutch dampener

-Had to re-fabricate the coolant tank brackets. The original ones I made were too tall and would not allow the hood to close.

-Installed new fuel filter

Our goal is to have this thing running and moving under its own power by the end of the week. Doesn't sound like it should be that hard except for the fact that we only get a few hours a day to work on it. Staying late at work every night is not all that fun, and wears you out pretty damn quick!

Pita84
In Neutral

Post by Pita84 »

Small set back. Transmission has been out and in several times due to clutch issues.

Hopefully by Friday this will be running.

Inter cooler is 80% plumbed and installed with modified fitment.

Radiator installed, cooling lines 95% plumbed.

New fuel filter and fuel lines attached

Transmission has to come out one final time(hopefully), C clip on throw out bearing not cliping in place, c clip must be worn out.

Need to fabricate seat mounting.

bleed brakes

Double check all suspension nuts and bolts, and align vehicle.

PLumb power steering external reservoir
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

damn this is quite a project youve got going on here. best of luck to you. gotta love seeing an SS owned by someone who knows what they have (i see so many legacy turbos with some old lady or something like that driving it haha)
1991 Subaru Legacy SS 5MT: Revtronix Stage 2 Set-up with a few other "tasteful" mods :D
massdrewski
First Gear

Post by massdrewski »

One thought on the weight reduction. Get rid of the stock gas tank and just put in a 5 gallon in the truck.

Fuel weighs about 8 pounds per gallon so if you have a full tank you are looking at more than 100 pounds. also the weight of the gas tank added. just something to consider. also you would have easier access to the tank and would be a bit more safer if you are racing etc. would be a bit costly but as for weight reduction it is worth it (isn't all weight reduction?)
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Mattheww044 wrote:damn this is quite a project youve got going on here. best of luck to you. gotta love seeing an SS owned by someone who knows what they have (i see so many legacy turbos with some old lady or something like that driving it haha)
I am sure they know :)
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
92 Rally
First Gear

Post by 92 Rally »

We are a little behind the times in this thread so I am going to take this rare opportunity of free time to get you all up to speed! We have been working hard on this thing trying to get it race ready for this weekend (Memorial Day Weekend), and I must say we are CLOSE!!! :twisted:

Gotta get the motor back into the car!

Motor is in, test fitting 03 WRX intercooler!

Custom Intake and Power Steering time!

Time to make an exhaust!
SPT/Bosal Down Pipe and Mid Pipe

Stock WRX 2.5" Center Section

Custom Axle Back!

FREE Muffler!!

I must say, the exhaust turned out great and it sounds pretty darn good to boot! The turbo whine out of this thing is orgasmic!

Now we need some seats!

New front Axle's

As she sits at the end of the day today!

The next project is to finish the MAF to 3" cone filter adapter!

92 Rally
First Gear

Post by 92 Rally »

Here is a little closer look at the intake manifold and what was done to make the turbo inlet fit.

There are a few chunks of aluminum that need to be cut off and ground down smooth to make room for the inlet.

It is a super TIGHT fit!

Fuel lines, coolant lines, wiring, and PCV all have to be re-routed

My custom PCV plug in the manifold!

The plug started life as a stock PCV Valve, that I cut, put a bolt in and then welded up and ground down smooth.

92 Rally
First Gear

Post by 92 Rally »

We did run into a few snags along the way. The throw out bearing was giving us fits and caused us to have the transmission in and out a total of 3 times. After that was all straighted out everything has gone pretty smooth. The motor started right up and sounded great. We ran into a issue when giving it some throttle, but we decided to try the JECS MAF that came with the car and it ran beautiful! We still have yet to pull the ECU out to see what we are working with.

The first test drive went so so... We found out that our first gear likes to make some horrendous noises! Hopefully she will hold up for the race! We also found out that the right front caliper is seized. We have a new caliper sitting on the shelf at work though, so no worries there.

We still need to address the sunroof. We are trying to get a filler panel to weld in, and if not then the sunroof will be going back in for the race.

Mudflaps still need to be made. We got two huge simi-truck flaps that we are going to use to make them.

Need to re-wire the cooling fans

Need to cut a hole in the hood for the intercooler

There are a bunch of other little things as well..... Fingers crossed we get it all done!