My sleeper LSS named "Trixie" (56k Beware!)

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

92 Rally
First Gear

Post by 92 Rally »

Looking Good!
[b][color=white]-Ryan-[/color][/b]
"We live for a good time, not for a long time." -Colin Mcrae

[url=http://wrxmodders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15103]Project RallyX: 1991 Turbo Legacy[/url]
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Picked up my 5 speed tranny and swap parts today from Frank only after taking a wrong turn and going 40 miles out of my way... Looks like I should have taken my wife with me. She's better at keeping me on course than some expensive nav unit any day!!! :mrgreen:

Borrowed my brother-in-law's '91 Legacy wagon to bring everything back which only has a mere 268,xxx miles on it. My '85 Chevy truck likely would have died along the way (burning oil badly inside the driver side of the motor).

Now I just have to get the dead 4EAT out of the car and get the new goodies installed! Once that's finished, I can run around the neighborhood raising hell w/o an exhaust connected to the downpipe!!!!!! :twisted:
Jason
'92 LSS "Trixie" - TD04, '06 WRX TMIC, Invidia D/P & TXS U/P, 3" APEX'i CBE, custom intake, TXS MBC & BPV
Perrin LCP, WRX & H6 brakes, S/S lines, Cusco H-brace & RSTB, AGX's, Progress springs, SimplySubie fender braces
92 Rally
First Gear

Post by 92 Rally »

No exhaust gets annoying! We have been tinkering with ours with just a downpipe and it made it very difficult to hear anything that is going on engine/transmission wise. I finally plumbed a 2.5" exhaust to the axle back so we can hear what the motor is trying to do. The turbo sure does sound sweet like that though!

[url=http://wrxmodders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15103]Project RallyX: 1991 Turbo Legacy[/url]
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Oh hell yeah it does! All you hear is turbo out the downpipe. The farthest the car will drive is 2 blocks over to Monro Brakes & Muffler where the assistant manager is going to take care of fitting up my A'PEXi N1 exhaust. It's originally for a WRX, then my buddy who picked it up used had the length changed to fit his 2.5RS. Now it's going on my car! 8)
Jason
'92 LSS "Trixie" - TD04, '06 WRX TMIC, Invidia D/P & TXS U/P, 3" APEX'i CBE, custom intake, TXS MBC & BPV
Perrin LCP, WRX & H6 brakes, S/S lines, Cusco H-brace & RSTB, AGX's, Progress springs, SimplySubie fender braces
homegrwn97
In Neutral

Post by homegrwn97 »

which (legacy, wrx, sti, etc.. specific) rallyarmor flaps did you buy for your car?
05 LGT Wagon & 91 SS
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Ordered a Kartboy poly rear shifter stay bushing Monday evening to replace the non-existent one I don't have... FAIL! So now my shifter is using only Kartboy poly products to firm it up. I needed to steal a cam position sensor from my spare EJ22T motor because something torn into the factory one. I made it through all the forward gears and reverse without a problem. The U/P, turbo and D/P get torn back off to be heat wrapped. The turbo is getting swapped in place of one that I gasket matched and smoothed the exhaust inlet of for quicker spool up.

Pictures will be coming in the next day or so as I get the spare time. Should be able to take a test drive by this weekend if all goes as planned (which it NEVER does!!!). Sunday it gets shipped off to my local Monro Muffler shop for a freebie 4 wheel alignment and downpipe back exhaust install. Supplying parts to a shop each day has it's benifits! 8)
Jason
92 Rally
First Gear

Post by 92 Rally »

Any updates?

dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Well after many delays... She will be getting full 3" exhaust installed on Wednesday. It was supposed to be today buy the 3" flex pipe I ordered from a shop on KS Tuesday morning before work didn't arrive yet. It's coming USPS Priority (2-3 days) and should have been here by Friday at the latest. I received a notification that it was shipped on Tuesday as well. The tracking info shows it is enroute to me but it should have been here by now. :-(

While it's getting the exhaust installed it will receive a state inspection as well. This will all be done just in time to attend my buddy's wedding (Strat over on DI) in Wellsboro (home of the STPR rally event) on Saturday. There will be many Subarus there as he and his future wife both own Subies and they have a RallyX project vehicle together too.

Once all the bugs are worked out I will be ordering up the AEM Fuel/Ignition controller to handle all the tuning aspects on the car. Can't beat it for $400 and also the fact that a member is using it on his car currently with a full install write up! :mrgreen:
Jason
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

dropdfocus wrote: Once all the bugs are worked out I will be ordering up the AEM Fuel/Ignition controller to handle all the tuning aspects on the car. Can't beat it for $400 and also the fact that a member is using it on his car currently with a full install write up! :mrgreen:
I need to know who this is :shock:
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

The SLODRIVE '92 SS Build (warning: UGLY pics!)
http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=38549

Page 3 is where he starts the info on the AEM F/IC.
Jason
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Forgot to post this on Wednesday at 3:30am (EST):
Well the car is off to get the 3" exhaust installed and get a state inspection done.
So let's see...

* Reverse lights tagged in from the 5MT wiring to the 4EAT wiring - Check
* Neutral safety switch bypassed to trick the computer into letting me start the car - Check
* Car starts up and the reverse lights turn on when placed into reverse - Check
* Bad ground on front turn signal harness taken care of - Check
* Hella Supertones installed and LOUD - Check
* All light bulbs in good working order - Check
* All fluids at a proper level - Check
* 4" of snow on the ground starting at 10pm and still more to to go - Check
* Excited as hell to have my baby on the road FINALLY!!!! - Fo Freakin' Schizzle!!!!
As of this evening I just spent 5 more hours in my garage working on my baby.

* Hooked up my boost gauge which was a pain in the a$$ getting a coiled up plastic hose to play nice when snaking it in small tight spaces
* Sealed up the TurboXS BPV which I believe to have been leaking past the rubber seal the '06-'07 TMIC uses vs. a gasket
* Threw in some interior plastic trim pieces & the overhead lights to make it look a bit more presentable
* Prepped the radio to allow me some music to sooth my beast
* Hooked up the speedo cable (long story, don't ask...)
* And lastly used one of the head light restoration kits we sell at work. These kits are THE BEST on the market for less than $20!!!!

Now tomorrow a bunch of us will be heading up to Wellsboro, PA for a DirtyImpreza.com wedding. Spencer and Tasha are tying the knot. It's gonna be freakin' sweet!!!!!
Jason
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Trixie made her first long distance drive without any real issues. The 55-60 mile trek to Wellsboro was made at pretty much a constant 85mph especially on winding back country roads. She held up to the task like a pro at only 10lbs of boost. :mrgreen: The only real carnage was having grease on my D/S front wheel pointed out to me. Looks like the rubber boots on the axles I rebuilt didn't like the sustained speeds I gave it. :oops: Oh well, time to pick up a new (not even chancing a reman axle) one from work this week. The lowered suspension is coming out in favor of the Skunk2 coilovers that I was going to wait on installing. The front suspension bottomed out a bit more that I'd care to like and I'm rubbing the inner front fender wells. So time to lift the car up for the winter months.

All in all it was a good outing with the car. I've got a few bugs to work out and some other stuff to take care of as well. I did notice that the custom air intake I designed likes to "sing" at higher rpms. I thought the turbo was going to let go until Rich & I figured out that it was intake noise instead. Not sure I can do much about that. :?
Jason
strat
In Neutral

Post by strat »

you know i love it jay!

car runs great and only took how many months to get moving? :D
~02 WRB WRX - daily driver
~02 Cavalier LS Sport - autox / show car
~95 Legacy L - up and coming rallyx car
~85 Yamaha Maxim - summer fun
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Howdy Spence!!!! Welcome to the party finally... :mrgreen:

As for the time frame, I don't care. Do it once and do it right was my main effort through this entire build. Granted the build is not finished just yet as there is MUCH more to come... :twisted: In about 2 months or so I should have some more parts swapped out in favor higher HP numbers. My end goal is still to hit 325chp on mostly "2nd hand parts".
Jason
strat
In Neutral

Post by strat »

i've been a member for a bit... just don't post much. ;)
~02 WRB WRX - daily driver
~02 Cavalier LS Sport - autox / show car
~95 Legacy L - up and coming rallyx car
~85 Yamaha Maxim - summer fun
turbo_meow
First Gear

Post by turbo_meow »

man i like the rims on your car man are you lowered? and if so what did you use :smt023
fmic,td04,wideband,3" turbo back exhaust,fuel cut off defence,walbro 255,hks super bov,stock ej22t with 34000 miles all orig.
www.myspace.com/legacyturbo303
www.facebook.com/FrankJoshuaGrasmugg
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

strat wrote:i've been a member for a bit... just don't post much. ;)
Um yeah, like twice and it's been within this thread. :roll: So what you're really saying is that you've been stalking me on here??? :lol:
turbo_meow wrote:man i like the rims on your car man are you lowered? and if so what did you use :smt023
I am using '00-'01 Impreza RS wheels (16x7) for the summer use so that I can put 225/50/16 performance tires on them and then I'm have the '02-'04 WRX wheels (16x6.5) on currently for winter use but I'd really like to find a set of the '05+ WRX split 5 spoke wheels to use for the winter. I'd run them as summer wheels but they are only 6.5" wide unlike the RS wheels.

The car is currently lowered on Progress Sport Springs which are meant for the WRX platform. They are getting pulled off once I get the rear KYB AGX struts shortly. I have Skunk2 coilovers to be installed on the car which will allow me ground clearance during the winter months and then slam it back down for AutoX season. :twisted:
Jason
turbo_meow
First Gear

Post by turbo_meow »

well thanks man i really want a set of the rs wheels. i like your car
fmic,td04,wideband,3" turbo back exhaust,fuel cut off defence,walbro 255,hks super bov,stock ej22t with 34000 miles all orig.
www.myspace.com/legacyturbo303
www.facebook.com/FrankJoshuaGrasmugg
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Got the new suspension bolted up late last night after fighting with it. I removed shot factory struts mated with Progress 1.75" lowering springs in favor of Skunk2 coilovers (Application: WRX) on KYB AGX struts front & rear (Application: 92-94 Legacy & WRX). The front went together w/o any hassle. The rear was a whole other story unfortunately...

The threaded sleeves are meant to slide down the body of the strut tube, but there is a slight problem with that in the rear thanks to KYB's over engineering. The ID of the threaded sleeve is 51.35mm, but the OD of the AGX rear strut tube is 54mm. So it now places the sleeve on top of the tube instead of down around it. This works for right now as I wanted the car lifted up for the winter months. Problem is, I can slam the front end just fine, but there is very little adjustment down on the threaded sleeve in the rear.

I'll be sending an email off to Skunk2 to see if they can assist me with this or if I get written off and just sell the coilovers. The factory struts have a proper body diameter to work, but I have no intentions of getting rid of my AGX's any time soon!!!

BTW, I should have suspension pix up later today.
Jason
Blackbart
Vendor
Vendor

Post by Blackbart »

Jason,
check your PMs
Frank
epicfail
First Gear

Post by epicfail »

Before you sell the coilovers: Do you have any way of turning down the ID of the sleeves to fit over the strut bodies? That would probably be a more cost-effective way to get the suspension adjustability you want. A machine shop in your area could/would probably do it for a small fee.
I should've mentioned this earlier on the DI.
[quote="RJ93SS"]u fail, epicly[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]Don't do drugs, kids, men may not need nipples, but we look a lot funnier without them.[/quote]
Blackbart
Vendor
Vendor

Post by Blackbart »

dropdfocus wrote:Picked up my 5 speed tranny and swap parts today from Frank only after taking a wrong turn and going 40 miles out of my way... Looks like I should have taken my wife with me. She's better at keeping me on course than some expensive nav unit any day!!! :mrgreen:

Borrowed my brother-in-law's '91 Legacy wagon to bring everything back which only has a mere 268,xxx miles on it. My '85 Chevy truck likely would have died along the way (burning oil badly inside the driver side of the motor).

Now I just have to get the dead 4EAT out of the car and get the new goodies installed! Once that's finished, I can run around the neighborhood raising hell w/o an exhaust connected to the downpipe!!!!!! :twisted:
Jason,
Whencan I expect to get paid for this tranny? I trusted you.