94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

More! i want more! Looks good!
FastRust
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

white car appears to be a lexus, perhaps an SC model?
96 Impreza L sedan
97 legacy outback limited
00 Impreza RS sedan
Impregacy
First Gear

Post by Impregacy »

Greg is right actually Lexus SC300. Man point for you.

I finally have some updates to the project! In fact, it started for the first time today. Idles at 1600rpm so there is a lot of tuning to do next weekend. My IAC strategy was to use an early 80s bosch auxiliary idle controller from an audi. basically it's a simple heat activated valve that only needs a 12v power. I figured it would greatly simplify idle issues. I don't have time to figure out control of the subaru stepper IAC at the moment anyway--I'm doing 20 credits and working part time.

You can sort of see the idle valve in this picture. It's the little cone looking thing where the AC comp used to be. There's also a good view of the Ford motorcraft coils. I have heard that EDIS is sensative to the inductance and resistance of other coils so I played it safe to start. May switch back to subaru later. The capacitor on the coils there help keep noise off the lines.

Okay, this picture shows the 36-1 trigger wheel for the EDIS in place. The VR sensor is a Subaru cam position sensor. I thought it was a crank position sensor at first (but with a larger diameter than the original) so I bored out the hole for it--then it dawned on me that is is a damn cam position sensor haha. The upshot is that I now carry a spare at all times behind the cam wheel, and it seems to be working fine.

Okay here is a little metal box that used to be a Ford Exploder external radio amp, that is being used as a junction box for all the wires between engine and computer. Since I am using the same color wire to save money, a box like this helps me keep them straight.

This is a good one of the new engine radiator and a small old motorcycle radiator for the air to water intercooler soon to come. The IC water pump is also visible. It is a late 80s Mercedes Benz auxiliary water pump. I'm not sure what the flow rate is what it is for exactly-perhaps it circulated water through the heater core. Anyway I spotted in a junkyard and thought it looked a lot like the bosch IC pump in the GM typhoon. Also visible is the GM intake air temperature sensor--where the pvc valve use to be. I have other plans for crank case ventilation.

Everything sort of together. The wiring is still a mess.

Looks like a radio shack exploded in here. You can see the little net book I will be using to tune the thing. The holder I made for it covers up the HVAC controls--who needs that crap? It will also now serve as my gauges and replace the stereo. If I get 3G it would be pretty sweet to have the internet/google maps there also.

Finally reinstalled the captain's chair. I never thought it would need one of those again

Next step to get it idling at 800ish stable--make sure cranking pulse widths and warm up enrichments are good. Then hook up intake plumbing. Then maybe crack the throttle a bit!
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Quite the bird's nest you got going there! :-D

You got the same seats as me.

Wouldn't it be a lot better to mount the AWIC radiator in front of the main radiator so it's not getting all the hot air coming through the main one? Or is there no room up there?
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Impregacy
First Gear

Post by Impregacy »

yeah unfortunately I couldn't find room for it in front--will put a fan on it and hope that efficiency isn't too horrible for the testing phase. Later I think I will try moving it to the snorkus area at an angle or use two smaller radiators in front of the main radiator. It will be interesting to see how much the bosch water pump flows. It may be a good alternative to all the ridiculously expensive 12v air to water IC pumps out there. The GM/Ford/Jaguar 320gpm units usually go for 100-200 dollars.
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

Very cool - good work so far!
SUBARUEHS Racing