Impregacy ej22t megasquirt build

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

Impregacy
First Gear

Impregacy ej22t megasquirt build

Post by Impregacy »

This build journal will document the installation of a megasquirt II stand alone engine management computer on an ej22t. This should be of interest to anyone on a budget, but has been scratching their head on how to extract a lot of power out of an engine without expensive computers or some shaky mechanical trickery. The megasquirt II can handle all your fuel and spark tuning needs in addition to boost control, launch control, and a host of other features.

To start off here is the project:

As you can see my Legacy has Impreza body panels. Don't worry, the ej22t was from a totaled 91ss.

I put 40,000 miles on it before retiring it to my parent's back yard where squirrels built a nest in the intake box.

It's hard to see in the camera phone pic, but seriously, a bunch of nuts fell out when I removed the air box.

Since I'm still going to school, the top priority of all my projects is to keep the cost down. Plus tuition keeps going up and my degree (Kettering) only has a good name in the auto industry

:?

More to come.
Last edited by Impregacy on Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:30 pm, edited 6 times in total.
GodSquadMandrake
First Gear

Post by GodSquadMandrake »

It's camouflaged! Nice mounting location. Now all you have to do is look at your right knee and watch for blinking lights to know when your injectors are firing. Are you going with the MSnS wheel decoder or EDIS or just using stock ignition? I hope not the last one. At least wasted spark is easier to wire up than COP.
-Doug Wilson
Impregacy
First Gear

Post by Impregacy »

Not much time to work on it today. I was only able to fab up this little panel for gauges and switches.

I will mount the gauges and make another bracket for the eee pc tomorrow. Then i will take apart the engine some more and work on wiring.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Shoot me a PM about what you're looking to do, and document, and I'll look at setting you up for the build forum.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Impregacy
First Gear

Post by Impregacy »

Finally got this gauge panel finished. That was a lot of work actually. There is a boost gauge on the left. In the middle, a pyrometer circa 1980s that I got from grandpa. An air fuel ratio meter for LC1 wb on the right

Here is the modified old style mount with sti pump. The little in tank sponge thing actually swaps right onto the sti pump. I love subaru.

I was a little worried about small sparks at the connection sight, even though I soldered the connectors on and the factory does not seem to be too concerned. So I decided to put jb weld in the connector. It's supposed to be impervious to gas. We'll see, I guess.

The engine is ready to come out now. I'm waiting on a a few parts before wiring in the MS2

93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

The old school EGT gauge is pretty sweet, actually. I like it.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

In theory, you really should not have an explosive mixture in the fuel tank for a spark to ignite anything. The environment in the tank should be above the higher explosion limit.
Last edited by Legacy777 on Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Post by 93Leg-c »

Legacy777 wrote:In theory, you really should not have an explosive mixture in the fuel tank for a spark to ignite anything. The atmosphere should be above the higher explosion limit.
Josh, can you please explain what you posted? Thx!
'94 TW
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Remember back to your boy scout/camping days. To make a fire you need three things:

Fuel
Heat
Oxygen

Remove any one of those things and you don't have a fire.

Flammable liquids like gasoline have a range in which they can ignite. There is a lower explosion limit and upper explosion limit. Anything in between those two limits and you have the potential for a kaboom/fire. Outside of those limits you don't.

A gas tank for the most part should not have or very very little oxygen in it. Therefore you should be above the upper explosion limit. If you had a spark, it would just spark, and nothing should happen due to a lack of oxygen.

Wikipedia has some more info if you're interested.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upper_explosive_limit
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

what crank trigger setup are you going to use for the ms?
dunno if anyone ever got the subaru wheel decoded. i saw that one guy machined the triggers off his crank pulley and pressed on a EDIS wheel and could use the stock sensor location.
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped
Impregacy
First Gear

Post by Impregacy »

Well I learn something new every day. I guess the factory would use better connectors if there were a risk of explosion.

Good call 206er. Yes I machined off the old teeth and will press fit the 36-1 wheel. It's really the only hurdle to this kind of project, but you could have something like this cut for pretty cheap. Well the other hurdle people don't like is the loss of sequential fuel injection.

Under the hood of the megasquirt

gijonas
Fourth Gear

Post by gijonas »

wow quite the project.
Well the other hurdle people don't like is the loss of sequential fuel injection.
I thought that was something MS offered now,maybe not.

MS is such a sweet deal though...what more do you want.If you want sequential all you have to do is spent an additional $1000 on your ecu :(
94SS.Wiseco forged pistons,TD04,TMIC,WALBRO 225,440's,3" all the way,revtronix stage 2,enough other crap to fill the internet.

THE TRIBUTE BUILD>>>LINKY LINK>>> http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?p=295455#295455
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

Neat project!

Are you using the BIP373 coil drivers?

I am currently putting an MSII 3.57 setup in my Audi...definitely been a steep learning curve
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

gijonas wrote:
Well the other hurdle people don't like is the loss of sequential fuel injection.
I thought that was something MS offered now,maybe not.

MS is such a sweet deal though...what more do you want.If you want sequential all you have to do is spent an additional $1000 on your ecu :(

You lose sequential fuel injection when you go to a crank trigger that is not a "missing tooth" or staggered shape. With that, the ECU doesn't know the actual position of the crank. Unless I just can't see the other part of the teeth in the picture.....
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

GodSquadMandrake
First Gear

Post by GodSquadMandrake »

You can if you have a cam position sensor along with it but not with MS. You can still use that setup for ignition though.
-Doug Wilson
Impregacy
First Gear

Post by Impregacy »

Got a bit done this weekend.

Pulled the engine:

The old oil pan and the bolts that held it on were all pretty rusty, so I got a new pan and put it on with SS fasteners with plenty of anti-seize:

Modified the turbo to point the compressor out. Had to cut the wastegate bracket and use the piece I cut off to clamp the compressor housing on.

Subaru_Nation555
Third Gear

Post by Subaru_Nation555 »

Cool! I see an Apple keyboard but I assume the tuning software is for Windows only?
'06 Impreza 2.5i wagon
Impregacy
First Gear

Post by Impregacy »

Cool! I see an Apple keyboard but I assume the tuning software is for Windows only?
ah I'm just an apple poser. Nice keyboards though.

There is some support for running Megatune (the open source software for tuning megasquirts) on macs though.

Put a crapy coating of paint on the intake manifold. At least now it doesn't look like nasty aluminum with algae like growths. What is that stuff?

Went ahaead and did a little gasket matching with a dremel tool. The gaskets match the head pretty well, but not so much to the mani. I guess they didn't want to get too fancy with that casting.

Before

After

I put a little radius on the port right before the recessed injector housing. I'm hoping that this will reduce flow separation a bit. As for the rest, I just got rid of the casting defects--nothing too rash.

My grandpa helped me again with his mill and master machining skills, (30+ years model making, my hero) by fabricating these brackets I designed to hold the sti fuel rails.

He also added perfectly sized bushings to the ends of the injector housings to fit into the rubber seals of the ej22t intake manifold:

Rail in place:

For anyone considering upgrading injectors to sti side feeds or similar. Something to consider is the orientation of the injector. As you can see in this picture the sti injectors have 12 orifices--6 per port, divided symmetrically, one crescent moon shape per port. Things of beauty, really.

Anyway consider using the sti type fuels rails because they clock the injectors correctly for the 2 ports:

Impregacy
First Gear

Post by Impregacy »

one more glamor shot before I go to bed:

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I had not really noticed the orientation of the stock sti injectors in an STi....so they're oriented to the side like that?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

That looks like it might require lengthening the wiring harness to the injector connectors. Not a big deal since it's off the car, but it would be a pain in the back to do it in the engine bay. :(
90 L+ wgn
Impregacy
First Gear

Post by Impregacy »

been a while
I had not really noticed the orientation of the stock sti injectors in an STi....so they're oriented to the side like that?
yes--unless I got the wrong parts.

New turbo arrived from Japan. VF38 from a JDM leg GT, twin scroll, titanium shaft and impeller. It's pretty sweet, will put it on if I ever get the engine running with the original VF11.

Bonnet strut from an Audi A6--not bad for $5

Bonus points if you can identify the car in the background

Working on the wiring and fuel lines for the intake manifold

It was fun using the autozone tubing bender

STi fuel pressure regulator with the rails in parallel

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

How much did you spend on all this STI fuel rail related stuff?
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Impregacy
First Gear

Post by Impregacy »

oh IIRC:

-the injectors were about $175
-rails with regulator about $50
-compression fittings about $10
-tubing: coated mild steel is really cheap at autozone $2.50 for 6'
SS tubing was way more $15 for 5' I used half and half because I didn't know how much to order of the SS. We'll see how they compare. But I'm sure the coated mild steel is fine for several years use.
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Nice. Parallel rails aren't that expensive if you get creative.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m