kimokalihi's 91 SS EJ20 Swap

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

93forestpearl wrote:That is a serious lump of silicone.
Sure is. Then you got the silicone y pipe and throttle body hose. I'd like to get silicone everything else too. At least radiator hoses. Anybody know if any of the impreza silicone hoses are the same as ours?
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Airgne
Second Gear

Post by Airgne »

did you every think about taking the tank out and getting it boiled/acid diped?
1997 Nissan Laurel ClubS25t
2001 Legacy Gt Ltd(167awhp&165.7awtq)Best 00-04 Legacy at WCSS11(West Coast Subaru Show)
1992 Legacy SS(Sold)
1991 Legacy L Wagon(Sold)(400,000+miles and running strong!!)
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Nope, didn't know that was an option. Where would I get that done at and how much would it be? Sounds expensive.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

kimokalihi wrote: At least radiator hoses. Anybody know if any of the impreza silicone hoses are the same as ours?

Don't bother with silicone radiator hoses. They leak more often than not. OEM works by far the best.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

The silicone hoses seemed to work well in boats. How do they leak or are they just cheap? The ones we put on boats were definitely not cheap.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Maybe they're not molded very well? I just wanted something that would last forever and look good/match.
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Maybe its the newer gen stuff, but lots of my friends got rid their Samco, Perrin, etc radiator hoses because they leaked no matter what they did. Granted, they didn't go as far as using t-bolt clamp, but who should?

The aftermarket hoses just don't seem to fit right. Police Interceptor vics come with silicone hoses, but they don't leak. Yet they were OEM.

200k on original radiator hoses should be proof enough to stick with them. Just use distilled water.
Last edited by 93forestpearl on Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
→Dan

asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Lol oops. I've been using water from a hose for years....
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Meh, it works just fine. Its not going to cool any different. I just get sick of the deposits that I have to clean off whenever I take hoses or a water pump off.

I used tap water for years too. The crud just got annoying. When I finally committed to it, there was no crud for in three years.

Maybe I'm just a little anal? :smt017
→Dan

asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Aaaah! I wish I would have known that that's what causes those deposits!
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Yeah, I don't mind spending a couple bucks on distilled water anymore. Especially since coolant has gone through the roof in price.
→Dan

Airgne
Second Gear

Post by Airgne »

try calling your local rad shops to see if they can boil it.
1997 Nissan Laurel ClubS25t
2001 Legacy Gt Ltd(167awhp&165.7awtq)Best 00-04 Legacy at WCSS11(West Coast Subaru Show)
1992 Legacy SS(Sold)
1991 Legacy L Wagon(Sold)(400,000+miles and running strong!!)
madmallard
In Neutral

Post by madmallard »

i like the methodical posting with pictures. Hope to see you succeed where you want. :]
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Thanks! If it weren't for all the people on this board I wouldn't even have this car let alone have any idea what I was doing with it.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Bad news. I found some free time and dragged my ass over to my parents to work on my car. I thought I was going to be able to just yank out the old intake and install my new silicone ASI intake relatively easily. Turns out that's not the case.

You have to remove your entire intake, remove the fuel lines which means removing the fuel rail on the passenger side (I tore the stupid hose that comes off the fuel rail) and unbolt the bypass/coolant tubes. After all that bullshit I put the silicone intake on and it's too damn big. I can't get the fuel lines bolted back on. Also, it's not an exact match. The hose outlets coming off it are a bit different. I can't even attatch one of the hoses to this silicone intake.

I have to talk to slodrive and see what the hell he did with this because I'm about to rip if out and sell it. It's really frustrating me and I'm getting sick of it. I'm already burnt out on this whole project after all the damn setbacks and always having to buy more parts.

:evil:

How the hell am I supposed to get this hose to stay on here with 1/4" of metal to clamp on to!??!?

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Wait...after looking at the pictures just now, I noticed in the first 2 pictures before I put the intake on my car that hose has far more metal sticking out of it than it does after I put it on the car. I guess it got pushed in. That's retarded, that means it's not attached to the silicone, they just slide it in.
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

I was just about to point that out Kimo... :)
Jason
'92 LSS "Trixie" - TD04, '06 WRX TMIC, Invidia D/P & TXS U/P, 3" APEX'i CBE, custom intake, TXS MBC & BPV
Perrin LCP, WRX & H6 brakes, S/S lines, Cusco H-brace & RSTB, AGX's, Progress springs, SimplySubie fender braces
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Haven't done jack on my car in a while. I lost my motivation. The setbacks and constant money spending built up slowly and got me pretty overwhelmed with it.

I almost don't want to even think about it lately. Nobody said it would be easy but....

Anyways, I got this in the mail yesterday. Found it on NASIOC for $40 shipped. Brand new. Wasn't looking for it, just stumbled across it in the FS section. Shouldn't go there when I'm bored. That's what happens.

Group N Pitch Mount

dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Nice! I know how it goes with losing your way on a project. I'm finally getting back on track with Trixie this week (4EAT to 5MT swap).
Jason
'92 LSS "Trixie" - TD04, '06 WRX TMIC, Invidia D/P & TXS U/P, 3" APEX'i CBE, custom intake, TXS MBC & BPV
Perrin LCP, WRX & H6 brakes, S/S lines, Cusco H-brace & RSTB, AGX's, Progress springs, SimplySubie fender braces
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Worked on my car/garage for 8-9 hours today! I got that silicone intake fitted and connected a couple hoses to it. I even managed to bolt the brackets for the fuel lines back on using all my strength to squeeze that intake since it's too damn big, nearly twice the size of the stock one.

Couple pictures to show you how tight it is.

I had a lot of trouble getting the damn intake manifold to seat properly because I could NOT get the silicone intake on the turbo inlet. The intake is wedged in there so tight it won't budge and I can't wiggle the manifold much because that stupid coolant pipe that comes out between the intake runners on the passenger side is preventing me from getting much movement.

I realized I still need to buy bigger hose clamps before I get that intake on the turbo anyways so I stopped wrestling with that for now.

Then I put my axles on the tranny, bolted the hubs back up to the struts, put the wheels back on and dropped the car back down. Found out my average PSI per tire was around 10PSI :shock: The driverside has little rocks stuck between the rubber and the rim that's causing a slow leak you can hear quietly hissing.

Got my step dad to help me push the car out, turn it around and put it back in the garage rear end first so I could drop the rear LSD to sell and was going to put my new whiteline swaybar on but it says in the directions it must be installed at ride height so I guess you have to drive it up some ramps instead of jacking it up?

I cleaned my garage for over 2 hours just so I could have enough room to get the whole car in, close the door and jack all four corners up on jackstands.

Then I dropped the LSD and found out the driveshaft is smaller than the one on the forester swap so I have to use the forester driveshaft too now. Hopefully it's the right length. Also the forester LSD has really long studs on the end of it and they're way too long to fit on my car so I have to remove them and find shorter ones.

I tried getting pictures of all this but my camera quit working after those pictures above. It only works when it wants to now.

I took a flashlight and looked in the gas tank and the tank itself is just as rusty as the fuel pump and sending units are! Shit.

Got quite a bit done if you count cleaning the garage, it was a mess, still is but not as bad.
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

why dont you want to run your lsd?
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Cuz he has 4.11 gearing?
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I think it's 4.444 gearing. Or so I was told.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

kimokalihi wrote:I think it's 4.444 gearing. Or so I was told.
I believe you are right. I couldn't find any literature online showing a 1997 Forester specifically, but the 1998-2002 JDM turbo models had 4.444, like you said. I had 4.111 on the brain because of both my auto 96 Legacy and 5mt Forester (non turbo sadly) are both that ratio.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Progress!

Drove up to Seattle last night in the metro to pick up a sunroof that Chris (biggreen96) brought over from Idaho (I think) for me. Nice guy, btw.

Came home and the power went out. Crazy ass wind storm last night. So I took a 3 hour nap from 11pm til 2:15am. Went over to the parent's place and got right to work. He kept the glass so I had to swap my glass over. Broke a piece of the sunroof in the process and had to swap that part over as well. Cleaned it and lubed it up like crazy. Someone already siliconed the shit out of it or I would have done so myself and had bought a tube just for that purpose. But I don't know how I would have gotten the tracks off to do it myself. I tried removing the ones on my sunroof and ended up bending everything and they didn't even budge.

Got the sunroof in. It's tough to do by yourself. Really burns your delts holding that thing up! Talk about fatigue.

Image.

Then the moment I've been waiting for, for a long time. I installed my canadian headliner! It fits great too. Got rid of those unsightly gaps the canadian trim pieces had exposed. It was expensive but worth it.

WRX rear seats ready to go back in as soon as I finish up with the trim installation. Can't wait to be done with the interior. Really sick and tired of being crammed up inside that car in akward positions trying to bolt shit in all over the place.

My cat watched for a while. You probably wouldn't notice but his wiskers have been "trimmed" by my 5 year old niece. I noticed that the other day and immediately knew what was up with his shortened facial hairs.