kimokalihi's 91 SS EJ20 Swap

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Re: kimokalihi's 91 SS EJ20 Swap

Post by kimokalihi »

Very interesting. We need diesels here. At least car companies are finally STARTING to make an attempt to get serious about fuel economy. 40-45 mpg cars now but in reality they should be making 60-75 mpg cars at this point. They have the resources and technology to do so.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

It would be easier if people would buy truly aerodynamic cars, but the feedback from normal people is usually that they look too weird. And, no, they don't have to look as ugly as a Prius, which isn't as aerodynamic as I'm talking about anyway. Of course, there's only so much than can be done with the required rectangular footprint of a utility vehicle (meaning, basically anything practical that's not a sports car or sedan). But that's highway, the extra weight of ridiculous safety gear and unnecessary gadgets blunts city potential. If Mazda puts their Skyactiv diesel in the next 3, that should be in the 50mpg range.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

It better be. Older VW TDIs got 50 mpg and now they're only like 40ish. Idiots. They went the wrong direction with their car. Now it's not even worth buying.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

The EPA also changed the way they rate mileage a couple years ago so that most cars are rated lower than they would have been before the change. That said, the added weight doesn't help. A bigger/more powerful engine is needed for acceptable performance and there is a direct relation between fuel use per horsepower, the amount of horsepower produced varies with load, but a heavier vehicle would put the engine under a greater load under acceleration (as aerodynamic drag does at speed). To a lesser extent, that also leads to wider tires, which increase frictional losses, but friction is a minor part and fairly fixed part of the problem.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I finally rounded up a charcoal canister and check valve along with the necessary hoses and T fitting to plumb it all up. Can't tell if it's functioning or not but it's in there and hooked up according to the factory diagram and VRG3 even those his drawing is missing a vacuum line off the canister.
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

Kimo, check it out, we made it on the first page of the TOP SCOOB NW... By accident. lol
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... ?t=2334629
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Oh nice. Got a bunch of us on there. I see mine yours cj danny and tonys ss. Awesome.
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

That is freaking awesome, and we are the only ones that will notice those cars are even there lol.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

SILINC3R wrote:That is freaking awesome, and we are the only ones that will notice those cars are even there lol.
Quite likely because you're the of the few that bother with NASIOC, anymore. :P

From my experience, a 16mm wrench or socket doesn't turn a 5/8" bolt, it just slips. Especially a 12-point.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Nasioc gives me something to do when I'm really bored. I don't participate much over there but I'll still browse the classifieds and new posts hoping for an interesting tech article or something funny in OT.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Kimo,

The charcoal canister is not sealed, so there's really no chance of it building boost if the purge solenoid fails. I just hooked my canister back up, but used the non-turbo 2-hose.

I know Vikash suggested using one of those little check valves, but I just can't see that really helping to stop boost pressure. My 97 has one and I can blow through it pretty easily. So either it's bad or it just doesn't work that well.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Here's a FSM schematic for the turbo charcoal canister plumbing.

Last edited by kimokalihi on Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Nice Acura (as far as hondas go anyway) I found parked next to me at work when I got off. Those are honda wheels and not rotas which surprised me. I think it's a chick's car because it had black furry seat covers with peacock feathers embroidered into them.

mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Need the badge to your trunk?
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

No it was ugly. I removed it. I have two in my garage. Thanks though!
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

kimokalihi wrote:Here's a FSM schematic for the turbo charcoal canister plumbing.

Kimo,

Plug the aux purge line on the canister and the line coming from the tank and blow into the line that goes to the canister purge solenoid. When you do that the pressure will be vented out of the line in the bottom of the canister.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

sqc151
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by sqc151 »

Legacy777 wrote:Kimo,

The charcoal canister is not sealed, so there's really no chance of it building boost if the purge solenoid fails. I just hooked my canister back up, but used the non-turbo 2-hose.

I know Vikash suggested using one of those little check valves, but I just can't see that really helping to stop boost pressure. My 97 has one and I can blow through it pretty easily. So either it's bad or it just doesn't work that well.
im also using the 2 hose canister. but i used the check valve vrg recommended.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

kimokalihi wrote:Somebody at my work drives a nice WRX with STI brembo swap. Also there's an A4 or S4 in the background that this super skinny kid in I.T. drives. Doesn't seem like he takes care of it though because it's always super dirty and beat up.

Turns out this guy just started working at my work and I asked him about his wrx and he bought it from PIA. Small world. Sti engine swap and brake swap with fmic and 5mt still.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Somebody at my work drives the base model legacy, below the L trim level.

Drove way out in the middle of nowhere 20 mins east of Yelm and drank some brews with Robert (Thesubielover). We drank and BS'd til 6 am burning wood all night. Good times.

Here's Robert putting on some welding gloves to build the fire up.

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Today I remove the infamous snorkus box. I did so not to increase performace (which I don't believe is possible by removing it) but in hopes to hear my turbo again. Not just for the cool noise but so I can listen for compressor surge to aid in improving my BPV setup to be rid of it for good. I have a new BPV in the mail that I may install right away or wait until the details on the AWIC setup are ironed out and I upgrade and finally get rid of my hood scoop.

On to the pictures. Here is what the snorkus box looks like with the fender liner removed. You will want to buy some new plastic rivets to replace yours because they'll most likely be destroyed in the process of trying to remove them. They plastic and have a phillips head that just strips out and you must pry them out which breaks them.

Inside is foam to kill the noise of the engine and there's a drain hole in the bottom for any water that builds up inside. The pipe is separated in the middle so there's no chance it can suck up water. Very clever. I'm thinking it would perform slightly better if I had retained the expanding cone shape on the ends of the pipe but I just hacksawed it off.

I never use my cruise control and I really don't like cruise control so why have it? Be gone! Anybody want to buy a complete cruise control setup? Still have to locate and remove the cruise control computer and whatever else is left.

The pressure sensor and bracket for the boost solenoid interefered with the outer latch on my air box making it nearly impossible to remove it and get the top of the box off. This bothered me so I decided to ditch the bracket and move the sensors elsewhere.

New home for the sensors.

Nice and clean.

93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

The cruise control computer is on the passenger side just underneath the lower right part of the dash. I don't think you can get it out without at least freeing that side of the dash. Could be wrong though.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Hmmm. It might stay in then.
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

If you've removed the dash before, you should be able to completely remove it yourself in under an hour if motivated. In your case, you might be able to only loosen that side without taking everything else out.

It's worth a shot. The is a big sticker on the box that indicates the cruise control function.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Ill look into it. I've had the dash out of these cars probably 5 times.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You should be able to get the cruise computer out without taking the dash out. I changed it in my car without taking the dash out.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT