kimokalihi's 91 SS EJ20 Swap

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Re: kimokalihi's 91 SS EJ20 Swap

Post by kimokalihi »

Took me a month or so but I finally finished replacing my front wheel bearings after putting new axles, ball joints and tie rod ends on the front. I couldn't get the outer race of the bearings out of the knuckles with my 20 ton press (might have been doing it wrong after watching a youtube video) so I dropped them off at a shop and had them press them out. I'm told you can also weld a bead around the insides of the races to shrink the race so it comes out.

For this job you will need a good press, LARGE bearing puller, snap ring pliers, bearing races driver kit and other misc hand tools everyone should have.

I could have taken a lot more pictures but I forgot. Sorry. Here's the bearing puller. This was was just slightly too small for the job. The nuts were only threaded on halfway on each side but it worked. This was part of the harbor freight bearing puller kit. Comes with a small and medium puller but they also sell a large bearing puller seperately but it's like $30 by itself. You could get this kit and replace the bolts with longer ones and be fine or just thread them halfway like I did.

Air tools speed up the job a lot.

Bearing removed. Bare hub. Clean this up nicely and don't forget to install the new seal before the bearing. I removed the ABS rings from mine since they make the job more of a pain in the ass and I no longer have ABS. The dust shields were back on way easier without the rings.

Here's some damage to the outer race of the bearings that I found which was probably from the bearings breaking down or some previous owner messing them up installing them?

New race pressed in and ready to assemble.

I did not add any grease to the bearings because I remember reading a thread on here pointing out how adding grease to these subaru bearings ruins them. I did pack the seals with grease so that may be the same thing but the FSM said to do so...or maybe the picture was just saying to grease the inside lip? Oh well. We'll find out how it works. Here it is all pressed back together with new seals and new bearings. The fronts have 2 seals the rears have 3 seals. It looks dirty in this picture but it's not, that's only the synthetic grease from the seal.

Buttery smooth driving now! OMG is it nice. It sounds like there's a faint bearing noise in the rear now but I'm not sure. So much better. My 2nd (successful) wheel bearing job! Yay. The first was last week haha. The metro was losing a bearing quick in the rear. Super easy job. 100X easier than the subaru. Just unstake the spindle nut and pull the brake drum off. Grab a hammer and punch and tap the bearings out and then tap the new ones in and back together with new grease. Under and hour.

Anyways, I used WRX koyo bearings and seals. Bought them for a good deal of like $140 for all four wheels, seals and all off nasioc a few years ago. They're oem bearings just not from subaru.

I also had the machine shop make me a new spacer for my driver's side front strut. The previous owner apparently had them apart and lost one. It caused the top of the strut shaft to stick up higher on the driver's side and I didn't notice it for a long time. Also causing that side to sit lower. Tein said it could take months to order from japan so I put it off for a long time. I'm glad to have that fixed now.

I would also like to share an amazing product I found. Evapo-Rust and it's sold at auto parts stores or for cheaper at harbor freight tools: http://www.harborfreight.com/http-www-h ... -html.html

This stuff is supposedly non-toxic and can be used to remove rust from anything, including gas tanks! The best part is you can keep using it over and over again for years. Eventually it won't work as well but supposed to last a long time. I tested it out on some sockets my stupid cat pissed all over and rusted badly. Almost all the rust was gone overnight! Doesn't even have a strong odor.

98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Did you wash the piss off first ;)
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Nope. That shit evaporated months ago. That cat really grind my gears though. Loves to piss on my tools and on any plastic bag he can find. Wtf is that about?
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Sounds like he wants to be a dog, lol.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

He's an asshole trying to be a cat.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Kimo,

Let us know how the wheel bearings work out. I will probably need to do mine at some point and time.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Will do. Saved a ton of money. Dealership charges $1,400 to do all four. Les schwab tires charges about half that.
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

I have all new bearings and seals waiting to go in. I've been too afraid of the job to to do it :-x
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

Outdoor cats are stupid...

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

James614 wrote:I have all new bearings and seals waiting to go in. I've been too afraid of the job to to do it :-x
Its definitely an advanced job. Don't plan on only having the car down for one afternoon. With all the proper tools and a lift I bet I could bang out all four in probably 4-5 hours. With limited tools it can turn into days or in my case weeks since I can only do it on my days off and spent nearly a week waiting for a mahine shop to get to them.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

cj91legss wrote:Outdoor cats are stupid...

Yeah but its outdoor or nothin for me. No cat hair on my stuff!
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

kimokalihi wrote:
James614 wrote:I have all new bearings and seals waiting to go in. I've been too afraid of the job to to do it :-x
Its definitely an advanced job. Don't plan on only having the car down for one afternoon. With all the proper tools and a lift I bet I could bang out all four in probably 4-5 hours. With limited tools it can turn into days or in my case weeks since I can only do it on my days off and spent nearly a week waiting for a mahine shop to get to them.
You've just reinforced pretty much every excuse I've been making for not doing it, lol.

If there is one thing I like about GM cars, its the pre-assembled wheel hub/bearing assemblies that just bolt into the knuckle and are replaced as a unit in like 5 mins.

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

The newer subarus have the bolt on hub assemblies I think. I watched a youtube video on a newer lgt and for $140 they got the whole brand new assembly and it bolted right onto the knuckle! Easy as hell. And cheap for what you get.
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

yep just did mine on the 05 LGT Not to bad o a job
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

So your 05 lgt bearings didnt last as long as my 92 bearings Tony?

;-)

93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

As far as I know these have over 200k miles on them. Seems to be the failing point is between 175-225k miles on these cars.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Painted my radiator bracket and converted to GD WRX Coil On Plug ignition. Incorrect MAF code is gone but 31 TPS and 45 Pressure sensor/Pressure Exchange Solenoid codes are still showing up. I swapped to a different used pressure sensor and pressure exchange solenoid and still getting the 45 code. The TPS code is baffling since it's a brand NEW OEM subaru TPS and I've already calibrated the idle switch on it. I guess bad wiring somewhere. The car runs great however and is not hesitating like it was before I calibrated the idle switch.

The paint was pretty bad.

Sanded with end grinder sanding mesh wheel.

Painted

Before and after pic of the new bay sans coil pack and plug wires.

Couple pics of the GD coils. It's such a tight fit that for cylinder 4 you have to insert the coil on plug into the hole upside down and then when it's inside and clears the frame rail then you can rotate it the proper way. The shape of the bottom of it hits the frame rail. I got it in once without rotating it but found inserting it upside down much easier.

No more messy patch harness and ignition conversion mess.

James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

The first time I put my WRX coils in, I thought it was impossible so I jacked the side of the motor an inch or so. Sometime later I realized you just have to flip the one and felt pretty silly. At least I didnt drill through the wheel well like ive heard of one WRX guy doing.

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Haha yeah that's crazy.
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

WTF?

Nnyways, Glad it's running better for ya. I'm ready to put an engine together for my car, I've just been lazy. Tonight will most likely be plastigauge night unless I get bored enough in the next 10 minutes or so.
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Sweet you're entering into the land of the few. Actually I kind of did too with this wrx coil on plug mod.
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

Yeah you did. I'm surprised my build hasn't gotten more attention.

And I'm in the land of very few ;-)
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

cj91legss wrote:So your 05 lgt bearings didnt last as long as my 92 bearings Tony?

;-)

I guess so. Have done 2 now since I've owned the car.

Holy cow Kimo when you get everything smoothed out, I want to know if it is work getting COP. I thought everyone said it is really for bragging rights. Pretty sweet though!
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Not sure but it simplifies the wiring bs under my dash. Right now I just want to find out why these damn codes are present.
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

Kimo, have you checked your ECU board? Mine had two of the traces scratched in transit due to how it was shipped with half the ecu case on the way to or back from Rob. Those traces being scratched was the cause of a very long and hard troubleshooting process for my TPS and MAF (my saving grace was a spare ej20g ecu onhand), and the way Rob was suggesting people to ship it at the time seemed like it would make scratches at that specific spot not too uncommon. I made a thread documenting the very small nick in he ecu board and how I fixed here: http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=53195