kimokalihi's 91 SS EJ20 Swap

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Re: kimokalihi's 91 SS EJ20 Swap

Post by kimokalihi »

Hmm. The way my board is inside the Frankenstein case is very loose and I wouldn't be surprised if the ecu is damaged. I'm going to hunt down an unopened z4 ecu and swap it. If that's been the problem all along...Jesus Christ. Thanks for the heads up time to start searching. Also if anybody has a case for an NA ecu I need that too so I can install the ecu properly.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

It could explain how my ecu shows codes as soon as I turn the key on without even firing the engine immediately after I plugged the ecu in and it's been disconnected fully for weeks. The codes won't go away. Anybody know if it's possible to get a Tps code and pressure sensor and exchange solenoid code without starting the engine?
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

You still have a 22T ECU? You can throw it in and see if you get those codes without cranking. If it comes up code free, you should have your answer.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I do. I'll give it a try next week. Good idea.
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

Will there be a problem with the changes he has made to the ecu plugs?
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Mike has my spare ej20g and he says he'll give it to Stephen so I can pick it up from him since he lives nearby. I don't know if the changes I made to the plugs would affect it. I removed the purge pin and the identifier pin and I think I merged a ground to a different place and then added the two signal wires but I don't think that should interfere with the pressure sensors or Tps.
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

I'm pretty certain the wiring changes don't effect the MAP and TPS. I think the one ground wire you move is for the MAP, but that's just moving it from a dedicated ground to the ECU's sensor ground. The 22T ECU would throw codes for MAF and purge for sure, so my previous comment about it showing up "code free" is inaccurate. But the codes for the MAP and TPS shouldn't be there. As long as you don't crank it the COP wiring shouldn't effect anything.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Makes sense to me. I'll do it on wedsnesday and maybe I'll even have my spare ej20g ecu to try.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Ok I tried Mike's ej20g ecu. No codes before starting engine. Immediately upon starting it has code 45. Drove it. Still no code 31.

How does one apply 5v across the terminals of a sensor?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Are you trying to test the MAP sensor?

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... sensor.jpg

If you have a spare power lead from a desktop computer, you should be able to get 5v from there. Here's a write-up about using an older style AT power supply for 5v.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Use-tha ... rrent-%2B3./
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I'm going through the test procedure for both the map and pressure exchange solenoid to determine exactly where my problem lies. These geniuses decided to have one code for two different sensors. The first step for the pressure sensor (map). Is to disconnect it and apply 5 volts across two pins while reading resistance or voltage (can't remember which) on two pins as you apply vacuum or pressure to the sensor.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Everyone commonly overlooks it, but make sure you check the resistance of the wiring from the sensor to the ECU connector.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Thanks. I will. Going to go through the whole process in the book. Currently researching power probe products. Trying to find out if the power probe 3 can do a 5v signal but I think it only does 12v. The power probe hook does but it's got mixed reviews and it's more money and bulky.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I think for the 5v signal I will just clip a wire to the positive pin on the vehicle harness and to the the corresponding pin on the sensor and ground the other pin. Then turn the ignition on to supply the 5v. This should work, right? It will allow me access to the pins on the sensor for measurements.
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

Probably, but I'm confused as to why you would test those sensors. Aren't they the sensors from my 92? They work.
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

So I know for sure they're good. I'm tired of playing guessing games. It's for peace of mind. I'm 99% sure it's a short in the wiring but it won't hurt to find out for sure that the sensors are within spec.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The power probe only does 12v. You can use the 5v from the chassis harness with the ignition on. I wouldn't leave the ignition in the ON position for too long, but should work to get you some numbers
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Got it! This is really dumb of me....as I was going through the procedure for checking the boost sensors I noticed a tee in the pressure exchange solenoid vacuum line from the manifold. It was facing down so I couldn't see that it was a tee at first but something told me to grab it and inspect it for a loose hose connection. That's when I saw it was a tee and not just a coupler which I had thought in the past. And the damn tee was open to atmosphere!!! I plugged it and reset my ecu and there's no codes at all. I drove it and turned it off and still no codes. Never once flashed while driving it. This may be placebo but it seemed to run smoother too. Before it always used to flashed a few times indicating knock when it was cold before the engine warmed up and if you revved the engine a bit with the clutch in it would flash. So far that seems to be gone as well. Lord knows how long I've had this massive vacuum leak for! Now I want to dymo it again. Going to install my blitz electronic boost controller and turn the psi up a touch. I think the gauge is reading 1 psi lower than before the leak was fixed. So it's at 17 now but I'll bump it up to 19.

I can't explain how much of a relief this is. I've owned the car for 7 years now I think and I've never driven it without the Cel flashing until now.
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

Haha, good to hear. Can't wait to get mine together and have a fast fun SS. These folks around here won't know what hit em.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Haha I bet.
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Its a relief just to hear that you finally found the cause and fixed your ecu problem.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Thanks Stephen. I still haven't accepted it yet. In the back of my head I keep thinkin it's going to come back.
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

Not if you zip tie all your vacuum lines!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

My recommendation, replace the tee with the coupler if you don't need the tee.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I'll just replace a bunch of the hoses starting with that one. Are silicone vacuum lines better or not?