kimokalihi's 91 SS EJ20 Swap

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

So is the belt tight enough then? Is it normal for it to slip like that if you apply only 50lbs of torque(I don't even think it was that much)to the cam?
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

kimokalihi wrote:I'm assuming you're talking about the joint with the 4 blue bushings?

The bushings come in the joint, you can't get that joint apart to replace them. It's either welded together or pressed together. You have to replace the whole joint to replace the bushings. Lame. But the bushings were non-existant on that tranny. They were nowhere to be found!
AH! See the picture I put in my post that you took looked like they were black, but it must have been the low lighting. Makes more sense now! Thanks for clearing that up for me.

As for the timing belt, I've used Vise Grips on the cam gears to hold the belt tight during installation & such. I also have a friend place a breaker bar on the opposing cam gear bolts to keep everything from budging.
Jason
'92 LSS "Trixie" - TD04, '06 WRX TMIC, Invidia D/P & TXS U/P, 3" APEX'i CBE, custom intake, TXS MBC & BPV
Perrin LCP, WRX & H6 brakes, S/S lines, Cusco H-brace & RSTB, AGX's, Progress springs, SimplySubie fender braces
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Took the valve covers off to use a wrench on the cams to hold them in place while I torque the bolts. I couldn't find the right size wrench though. Looks to be about a 1". Not sure what that is in metric though. 25mm?

I found a 15/16 and it was too small and the 1 1/16" was too big. It might have worked but it might have stripped out the cam too. So I didn't try. I'll just go buy a metric craftsman wrench set in large sizes.

Whoever did the valve cover gaskets last time(or maybe they reused them?) put a shit load of gasket maker in before the gaskets were put in. It's everywhere. :roll:

You're not supposed to do that right? I didn't think that was necessary.

I'm gonna paint them while they're off. Probably a dark grey color or something. Maybe Black? Just gotta figure out what kind of paint to use.

My niece came in the garage and started cleaning things with a small wire brush. She said to me,"You don't have to do anything just keep working, I'll clean." She's hilarious. Very cute little 4 year old.

Then she decided she needed to work out to get strong muscles. Must have heard me talking about going to the gym the other day or something.

I have a really funny video of her working out with some wrenches and a torque wrench.

But it's 187MB so I can't upload it. Anyone know how to convert it and still keep some of the quality but get the size way down?

"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Awwww, what a sweet hart, helping you like that. She'll need some quality rides in that thing when its done.

And as for the gaskets, it does look like someone tried to fix some leaking, reused valve cover gaskets.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

It is recommended to use "some" RTV when placing the gasket back into the track, but nothing THAT excessive!!!

Quite a handy little helper ya got there! Feed that one cookies & milk or whatever she likes to keep her around the garage. Good help is very hard to find... :mrgreen:
Jason
'92 LSS "Trixie" - TD04, '06 WRX TMIC, Invidia D/P & TXS U/P, 3" APEX'i CBE, custom intake, TXS MBC & BPV
Perrin LCP, WRX & H6 brakes, S/S lines, Cusco H-brace & RSTB, AGX's, Progress springs, SimplySubie fender braces
cartwheels
Second Gear

Post by cartwheels »

If she keeps on like that, she's going to make someone very happy someday, lol.

Also, nice engine stand!
1994 Legacy TW
1993 Geo Tracker
1991 Legacy SS (finally got one!)
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

She's an angel. She does some funny stuff. Her hair is always cut badly though because my mom cuts it half the time and she is the worst hair cutter ever. All these years of cutting her kids' hair until they're old enough to realize what she's doing to their hair and she hasn't gotten ANY better!

At two years old stealing my phillips screwdriver. I didn't even realize I was takinga picture of her in the act until later after not being able to find it and seeing her with it in the picture.

At 4 years old she's somehow learned how to pose for pictures like a model. She does it on her own, nobody showed her that.

dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

That's one little girl to be proud of. I think I know what she's getting for Christmas this year. Her OWN tools that she can use in the garage huh? :lol:
Jason
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

That would be funny. Little 4 year old gear head. Well she'll be 5 by chrismtas.

I'm ordering new gaskets for the valve covers and the spark plug holes and the bolt gaskets. Then I'm heading over to sears to get some wrenches and maybe some paint.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Got a little progress done today. I seem to just be inching along every few days with this. Better than nothing I suppose.

Got the valve covers painted with VHT valve cover paint in Wrinkle black like shtbxr22 did just recently. I think I got some better pictures than he did though :D Should help to show everyone exactly what that paint looks like. For some reason my camera wasn't taking very clear pictures today. Maybe the lens is dirty.

One of these is the left and one is the right. The above part number is for the 4 spark plug hole gaskets.

As you can see here there is a bit of a difference in the new gasket and the cover. There's a few of these little places where the gasket didn't go and the old gasket did go. I don't think it'll matter though.

I also put new OEM gaskets on the valve covers which cost me about $63 shipped! Bunch of BS if you ask me for some stupid rubber gaskets that don't even match up to my JDM forester covers...they go to a 96 legacy 2.5 DOHC.

I torqued the cam bolts down to 55ft lbs using a 1" open ended wrench on the cams to hold them in place while torquing. It's either 25mm or 26mm but stupid sears doesn't stock those two sizes, they stock 24 and 27 and every other damn size but seriously do not have a place on their shelf for 25 or 26!!! Thanks a lot sears, made me spend $18 on a standard wrench.

Then I removed the timing belt and put it back on with the marks all lined up. The belt doesn't seem that tight, it worries me. It seems like that tensioner is not doing it's job that well. Is there a tool I can test the tension of the belt with? I'm afraid it's going to slip and toast my valves.
Last edited by kimokalihi on Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Is this thing supposed to be touching the belt? Never seen this part before. It's not touching, it's hovering above the belt maybe 2mm or so. You can move it around before tightening it down so if you wanted it could be up against the belt or even further from it.

What parts need to come off to change the wiring harness? Does the intake need to come off or just everything around it?

Can I sandblast and repaint the main crank pulley? It's rusty as hell and I don't like it.

Do you think this cam sensor is bad? It's off an EJ22T that a rat built a nest on under the intake manifold. He chewed through the wiring harness in two places and this sensor wire. Asshole. If it's bad, can I get one off any EJ22 motor at the junkyard or something?

91legacyawdturbo
Second Gear

Post by 91legacyawdturbo »

The covering plate on the crank should be ok. I wouldn't think that it should touch, that would cause the belt to wear. If the sensor is still connected internally on the harness it should still be good, just put some heat shrink tubing on it. But the sensor should be the same on the 2.2s on a non turbo vs turbo. I would replace it just for a clear mind.
91 SS, v9 ej207 twin scroll swap, Gda wrx dash swap.
2002 wrx sport wagon
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Looking good!

The sensor will likely be fine. And, yes, all the early Legacy sensors are the same. Turbo or not, it doesn't matter.

The plate over the timing cover should be adjusted to about 1 mm clearance IIRC. Early cars don't use them at all, it was more of a safeguard from having the belt jump at that point.

As for the tensioner, it will get tighter when the motor rotates and then runs. But if there is any doubt, you should get a new one. When you recompressed it, did you do it very slowly? IIRC, the FSM says over a 5 minute span.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I never recompressed it. I put a metal nail through the holes before I removed the old belt so I wouldn't have to stick in in the vice.
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

I always just used a C-clamp very slowly.
Jason
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Do you need to compress it? Or is it alright to put the pin in so it never decompresses?
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Today I took my intake manifold off to swap the 91 harness onto it. This is when I found out a few things I wasn't really aware of or had forgotten about.

The TPS connectors are different, the knock sensor connectors are different and there's a vacuum solenoid or something that has a different connector as well. I think the lengths might be wrong too.

So what do I do about the TPS sensor?

Can I just swap the 91SS vacuum thingy over to the EJ20G manifold?

While the manifold is off should I replace any of the sensors? And what exactly do these sensors do?

When I removed the intake tube along with the manifold I found oil in the intake tube and in the inlet for the turbo. I think it's from blowby recirculation gasses but I'm not sure. I also found out the turbo has shaft play side to side. Not in and out but side to side a decent amount. Therefore I think I'll put my nearly new mint TD04 off of a WRX with supposedly only 2K miles on it. No shaft play, looks new except some exhaust soot in the exhaust side.

I found 3 down feathers under the intake manifold. Weird thing to find on your engine. The last engine I took apart I found a rats nest covering the entire top of the block and rat shit all over the engine.

kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

1. purge control solenoid--use the ej22t PCS valve.

2. TPS--not sure. I have the same issue. 4 prong vs. 3 prong.

4. knock sensor--bolt whatever sensor that matches your plug onto the block.

Have not actually done this work yet, so I may be full of poo(on these issues).
brand
First Gear

Post by brand »

I'm interested to hear how you work out the sensors on the intake manifold. I'm planning on using an EJ20G manifold on my 91 EJ22T harness.
91 SS with a bunch of parts waiting on the shelf
94 SS with things and such
08 STI with stuff and junk
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The sensors depend on the EM you're using. If stock EJ22t ECU, you really need the 4 pin TPS.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Can you use the EJ22T throttlebody? Can the EJ22T TPS sensor bolt to the EJ20K throttlebody?

The fourth pin is used for a idle switch, which the EJ22T ECU really needs to detemine it's fuel and timing needs under decel and idle.

I belive Doug has dealt with this issue and posted his solution somewhere.
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Just remembered.....*I think* he mounted the EJ22T throttlebody upside down to get the cables on the correct side.
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

PhyrraM wrote:Just remembered.....*I think* he mounted the EJ22T throttlebody upside down to get the cables on the correct side.
Correct, and he also used/made a 1/4" spacer out of aluminum to get the linkage and TPS to clear without hitting the intake. That's exactly what I did to fit my EJ22 TB on the EJ20H manifold.
http://www.slodriveracing.com
-92 SS 5MT- EJ20H swap, Haltech standalone ECU, TD04, FXT TMIC, 3" exhaust, STi/AGX struts, JDM 5-speed, 4.111 LSD rear, Blitz EBC, etc.
-'93 L Wagon - Pink Roll Cage - "Dirty Leg"
-And more!
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

You are correct on that. He did a custom installation of the TB to make it work.
Jason
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I don't have the machine or skill to make a spacer. I'm not sure about mounting it upside down but I do remember looking at it wondering if I could swap the throttle bodies and determined that it would not work because the throttle pivot thing with the throttle cable would hit the IAC. But I didn't think about mounting it upside down.

Would the gasket work like that?

If that's all I had to do, I'll be on my way again in no time. But what about the spacer? Maybe I should pm doug about this.