kimokalihi's 91 SS EJ20 Swap

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Re: kimokalihi's 91 SS EJ20 Swap

Post by kimokalihi »

Yeah I can't tell the difference from stock really. Seems to run completely normal. Not that I had the stock EJ22T for long though. Maybe 2 weeks.

I'll check that video out when I get home from work.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

Ericem, for a moment i thought, man that thing accelerated really fast. Than i realized you're in kilometers. lol. Still looked good though.
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Sounds good Eric. Turbo is pretty quiet. I dunno I guess you can't really hear mine in the video either but you can surely hear it in the car.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Thanks guys, I just left my nokia n8 between the steering console I adjusted the steering tilt I guess the drivetrain noise resonated through the phone so you hear it more :)

I am really going to miss the car though :(
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

It probably goes there often eh? lol sick pic though!
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Thanks, I wish I had a better camera. That's taken without a tripod which really affects the picture quality since it was without flash and you need absolutely no movement to get a good shot without flash. I did some stuff with photoshop to get it to look as good as it does and it still doesn't look that good.

It lost a lot of detail to clean up the graininess and you can't even tell that the fuel tank is on the side facing the camera anymore! I wasn't getting gas. I get my gas at chevron. I was just stopped there for a second to check my coolant level on my way home. I had just got done locating and plugging a coolant leak that leaked all my coolant all over my engine bay and directly onto my header wrap causing a huge smoke show and made me late to work yesterday. All fixed but now I have basically nothing but water in my engine.
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

Make sure that water is distilled!
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Yeah it definitely isn't. I think I'm going to drain it and refill it with coolant and distilled water again. I had distilled water in it and coolant but then this happened. Do you think it's bad to run it for a little while with just hose water?
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

Well i ran hose water in my fozzy, and it ended up cracking the radiator. I guess the minerals in the water corrode the aluminum or something like that. That's what the radiator guy told me.
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I know it corrodes the aluminum but I'm thinking it should be fine for another week when I have more money.

Met with Rob today. Nice guy. Also saw a really nice Impeza GC type RA that was also there. The guy actually lives in Tenino! I've never seen his car and I would have noticed a mint clean red GC rolling around here. Maybe he'll be at the meet tonight up in Hawk's Prairie. Rob didn't have time to install my new chip so he just gave it to me and loaned me his tool to remove the old one and I'll ship the old one and the tool back to him when I'm done. I want to put it in now but I forgot to ask him if I need to disconnect my battery or the ECU before doing it. Don't want to mess it up.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Make sure you discharge any static you are carrying, and remove power to the ECU. I would recommend just unplugging the battery, and leaving the ECU plugged in because it is grounded while connected.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Too late. Already swapped it in. At first it wouldn't start and sounded like it was either not firing all cylinders or the timing was off but then I put the old chip back in and same problem. So then I checked the ECU code 11. Crank angle sensor. Then I tried starting it again while jiggled the harness with my hand. Then it started. Jiggled it some more and it died. So now I have a loose wire somehow somewhere in the harness off the ECU that is causing it to misread the crank sensor. Fuck. Somebody here know which wire is the crank sensor wire? I'm still going to the meet. Fuck it. Just jiggle my way along I guess. It's running now so long as I don't touch it.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Just got home. Car died like 10 times. 3 of which were on the freeway in light traffic going 60-70mph. Fun. Driving down the road reaching under your dash to jiggled your ECU harness. Looks like I won't be driving the legacy much for a while. It's always something with this car I swear.
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Just check wire by wire on the harness carefully I guess.
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

Hey Kimo. I had the same issue when my car died and had to tow it back 120 miles. After 4 days of diagnosing, i finally found the issue. It was an ever so small break in one of the wires at the crank sensor connector. The 3 wire gray or white one under the throttle body. I couldn't even see it by looking at it. I had to REALLY look at it to see the fine break. Look there first...
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

what do you do in that kind of situation? Cut and splice or re-pin the ECU and rewire it?
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Florin I don't think it's the sensor or the sensor wiring. It's got to be the ECU pins or probably just the patch harness itself because when I fondle the harness wiring right at the base of the connector on the patch harness on the side that goes into the ECU it starts back up again. Sometimes I have to hold pressure on the harness wiring to keep it running. Plus it didn't start doing this until I cut the zip ties off that were holding the ECU in place and took it out to replace the chip so it's definitely something in the patch harness.
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

^ sounds like you're halfway there..
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I'm going to ask Jess if he's got a pinout diagram of the EJ20G ECU.
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Maybe it only likes to work while being fondled.
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

^ lol. Sounds like me... Bwahahahahah
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Yeah Stephen maybe you're right. In that case I don't blame it. I'll hopefully have it figured out soon. I have a couple new mods about to go on the car soon. I'm excited. Nothing huge just some nice aesthetic bits and one of them is actually serving a purpose and not just for looks but still looks like sekz. :)
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I hate electrical. It's very frustrating. I have the ECU out and the patch harness and I have my multimeter out and I'm testing for continuity on what I believe to be the crank sensor wires according to the diagram below and I'm not finding any problems. I have the harness plugged into the ECU so I can easily probe the pins that come out of the backside of the connectors inside the ECU. I have a probe on each end of the harness and I'm seeing about 0.4 ohms resistance and when I jiggle the wire I'm testing it doesn't change or lose continuity. I'm stumped. Maybe somehow it just wasn't plugged in tight enough?

Can I put that electrical gel in the connectors to ensure a connection is made between the pins and the harness? Is that safe?

Anybody know if this is the proper ECU pinout for this Z4 EJ20G ECU? I guess I should probably ask Rob. Also if anyone has the pinout for the 91 SS ECU/harness that would help a lot.

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

This is the same for the 91 SS
http://main.experiencetherave.com/subar ... CU_I-O.zip

This should have the info you need for the EJ20G ECU
http://main.experiencetherave.com/subar ... tion_2.zip
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)