kimokalihi's 91 SS EJ20 Swap

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Yikes!

I'm not sure about pre-facelifts, but if you DON'T have a low fuel idiot light an early Impreza is the same thing and likely newer.

If you do have a low fuel light I think you need to source a Legacy one. N/A, Turbo, sedan or wagon are all the same. Not sure if AWD or FWD are the same.

However, if you actual sender and bracket are OK (they screw to the main support) the Impreza unit will accept them.

I have a few pics of different angles in my build thread that might help you recognize what your looking for.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Should I use them if they're all rusty like that though? Isnt' that going to get worse eventually and get rust in my gas?
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Wow.....those things are nasty!!! That car must have had some bad moisture in the gas tank for a while.

What does the inside of the tank look like?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I'm afraid to look inside the tank. :shock: There's gas in there. I can smell it. Some came out of one of those nipples on the fuel pump when I removed the hoses.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Airgne
Second Gear

Post by Airgne »

you should replace tha tank if the unit looked like that. i have a ss tank. also a 02 wrx walbro will bolt right in.
1997 Nissan Laurel ClubS25t
2001 Legacy Gt Ltd(167awhp&165.7awtq)Best 00-04 Legacy at WCSS11(West Coast Subaru Show)
1992 Legacy SS(Sold)
1991 Legacy L Wagon(Sold)(400,000+miles and running strong!!)
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Man, that's not what I want to hear lol. Replacin the tank is a bitch. I tried dropping one once and it was not fun.

Can I look inside and see how bad it is in inside? Or drain it and see if anything nasty comes out?
Airgne
Second Gear

Post by Airgne »

looking at that sending unit. i would replace it. looks like water gas(aka am/pm, 7 11 gas). look inside of were the sending unit came out, or stick your hand inside and see what comes out.
2001 Legacy Gt Ltd(167awhp&165.7awtq)Best 00-04 Legacy at WCSS11(West Coast Subaru Show)
1992 Legacy SS(Sold)
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

The fuel pump and sending unit cost $251, the other sending unit cost $65. The tank is $378.

If I replace this stuff there's no way I'm paying $700 for it all plus shipping which is another 10% unless they charge extra for it being so damn big.

Junkyard time.
Airgne
Second Gear

Post by Airgne »

i have a good turbo tank. i beleive it still has the sending unit. also a walbro 255 is around 80 bucks.
1992 Legacy SS(Sold)
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Do you have both sending units? How much you want? I thought a walbro was similar to the STI pump? I bought the STI pump with pretty low miles on it because it was like $30 or something and I thought it was about the same flow as the walbro.

Was I wrong?
Airgne
Second Gear

Post by Airgne »

im not sure about the flow of the sti pump, but if its not a plug n play i wouldnt mess with it. the 02 wrx walbro pump i bought was plug n play. ill have to look at the tank again. its down south by you.
1992 Legacy SS(Sold)
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

I feel like I remember reading somewhere that the STi pump flows about 200 LPH whereas the Walbro 255 flows, yes you guessed it, 255 LPH.

That said, whatever the flow rate of an STi pump is, it is enough. My friend is running 27 PSI on an FP Red and some 1000cc injectors all on the stock STi pump. You should be good with 440cc injectors and your TD04 haha.
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

That's what I was thinking. Don't the STIs have pretty big injectors to begin with? I figured if they're already bigger than mine, there's no need to get a $100 pump right now when I can get a $30 pump that'll work fine.
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Exactly. They have 550cc injectors - stock.
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Worked on the car a bit today. Not much because of more setbacks as usual. I hate how every time I have time to work on it I'm held back by something stupid.

Started working on the whole power steering situation with the lines not reaching. I bought some nifty pipe bending tools from harbor freight for dirt cheap. Turns out only one of them is big enough for the lines 3/8". It actually worked quite well for a while.

Replaced the O Ring, the old one was pretty hardened. The new one is slightly larger than the hole but it squeezed in there. This worried me a bit but it fit in snug so I don't think it'll be a problem.

EJ22T pump on the left, 97 Forester EJ20G/K on the right. The only difference I see here is the outlet that the power steering line goes to is totally differnt. I thought at first that maybe I could use the EJ20G/K pump but when I tried hooking up the 91SS line it is not compatible at all.

EJ22T resevoir on the left, EJ20G/K on the right.

Nifty little pipe bending tools and a small pipe cutter just to have it in case I ever need to cut a pipe in a tight area where the larger style grey handle one won't fit.

Too small.

Perfect fit!

This is what happens when you buy tools at harbor freight. It's happened before, it'll happen again but when the tool cost you $10 you can afford to buy another one. But be prepared to bruise some knuckles and do some cursing. It was basically like punching the head on my engine when that thing gave up the fight. Not something I'd like to do again.

The line is pretty straight now but needs some bending near the end to bring it in to the pump. Tomorrow I'll go back to harbor freight and get another one. For a reference to how it was shaped before, check out the other line next to it. They were both shaped the same to begin with! That thing worked great, I just wish it was made of steel, not brittle aluminum.

So after the tube bender snapped on me I got to work removing my sunroof. I got it out of the car and covered the hole up with a tarp.

I used white lithium grease to lube up the tracks and the mechnism that lifts the roof up. Then I got a ratchet and cranked on the motor until it started to move. But that's when I noticed only one side was moving. The other side is not moving at all. The cable the works the other side is making a cracking sound inside the motor. I believe it's the sound of the gear skipping over the teeth of the cable because the cable has got to be seized up inside. There's no way of lubing the cable though. So I think replacement of the entire sunroof is necessary.

Last edited by kimokalihi on Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Is this similar to the JECs MAF from the JDM legacy's? It's got 3 prongs in the connector instead of the 4 prong connector our cars use.

Is this thing useful to me at all or should I sell it?

97 EJ20G/K JECS MAF

91 EJ22T Hitachi MAF

PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Your still using the EJ22T ECU? If so then the stock Hitachi aluminum MAF is known to work well with the 440cc injectors.

Trade/sell the Forester MAF for a plastic JECS 4-pin MAF (almost all '93-'96ish USDM Subarus) for future upgrades (such as the Revtroonix chip).
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

As far as I know I'll be using the EJ22T ECU.

I would like to go full standalone someday but I guess I'll start off with revtronix and maybe sell it when I'm ready for standalone.

I'll put that MAF up for sale with that stupid ARC intake box that doesn't fit my car. The intake is pointed at about 45degree angle right into the hood so it won't work in our cars. I'm pretty sure. It sure didn't look like it would work in my car.

Someone can buy one or the other or both.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Exchanged the broken tube bender for a new one today. Went back to the house and started bending the power steering lines again and I got one pretty much where I want it. Started on the other one and barely got anywhere before the new one broke. It didn't snap, it just bent the little hinge that hols it together and then popped the rivetted pin out that holds the one arm on. It's toast anyways, I could probably get the pin back in and hammer the rivet open again but it's pointless because that hinge is bent so it wouldn't line up right.

I think it's possibly because it's not designed to unbend 90 degree bends that are in a tube already. Takes considerably more strength to unbend a bend then it does to make a bend in a staight tube. That's the only way I can do it though! If I try to bend it with anything else, it kinks. I tried using my hands and it started to kink on me. I guess I'll buy another one or try to find a better one online. I even stopped by National Auto Parts to see if they had one and they did. It looked absolutely identical to the one I have made by pittsburg tools from harbor freight except this one was made by performance tools. I'm assuming they're just buying the same tool and packaging it in their own package and one costs $8.99 and the other costs $18.99.

You can see the one line is bent pretty straight and is screwed into the power steering pump.

This is what it looks like when you try to bend it with your hands. Looks like shit and probably doesn't flow too well like that.

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Something like that pipe bender, you should be able to rent and a rental place would have a quality one. If you're going to use it all the time, it's worth the investment in a good one, but if it's an occasional or one-time use, renting is an option you might want to look into.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Another brand that sells the same exact tool but for even more money. :roll: $46

This tool certainly is not worth more than $10.

http://www.toolfetch.com/Category/Pipe_ ... /25151.htm
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Something came in the mail today. From China, lol. Took 15 days and the guy said something about a stupid chinese holiday but seriously, it didn't ship out for 11 days after I paid for it. What kind of holiday lasts that long?

Now I just need to find the right intake box for this setup, I'd like to use an OEM box but it needs to come out straight instead of angled or back towards the firewall. The one I have comes out straight but is angled up and hits the hood. Maybe I'll have to custom make one.

Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

very nice work Kimo! You have so much damn time and money into this car I can't wait to see it finished... but its never really actually finished if you know what I mean.
1991 Subaru Legacy SS 5MT: Revtronix Stage 2 Set-up with a few other "tasteful" mods :D
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

That is a serious lump of silicone.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Mattheww044 wrote:very nice work Kimo! You have so much damn time and money into this car I can't wait to see it finished... but its never really actually finished if you know what I mean.
I know, money pit lol. You get those spark plug wires yet? Or did I just ship them yesterday...I can't remember.