Maciek's 2.36L Turbo Build (and boom goes #4 rod bearing!)

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Re: Maciek's 2.35L Turbo Build (Update CAR IS RUNNING!!!)

Post by cj91legss »

You think 300-350whp?
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
macipusy
Third Gear

Post by macipusy »

I'm thinking it will put down 350+whp on the TEC 20g tuned for E85. I've seen the same model turbo put out 388 on a 2.5L.
maciek puszynski

01 Impreza | v6 STi RA | 5mt | ej236t
93 Legacy Turbo | TW | 4eat | ej22t
16 WRX | 6mt | fa20
98 Legacy GT | wagon | 5mt | ej25d

2.36L Turbo - RSTi Build
CAV3MAN227
Third Gear

Post by CAV3MAN227 »

-Videos or I don't believe you :p

-Joe
-I'd rather loose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch cause someone else built it for me. Your car, is your story, so don't let someone else write the book. ~Moog
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

Wow, that must be a fun little drive at WOT.

:-D
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
macipusy
Third Gear

Post by macipusy »

It is super fun to drive so far. I have put 300 miles on the motor so far since starting it up.

A quick update on things going on since the first start up. I will get a video as soon as I sort out some pressing issues.

1. Stock clutch is slipping when boost comes on. I can tell there is a lot of torque from the motor, but it's hard to feel with the slipping clutch and 5K rev limiter. So it's basically....spool, feels good for 200 rpms then clutch slip and bounce off the limiter. I will raise the limiter up to 5500 in another few hundred miles and then to 7K once break in is complete. I am figuring out what clutch setup to run (Clutchmasters, ACT....etc.). Plus I have so much timing pulled out right now, that the power should be insane after I tune it on the dyno.

2. This is important to people building a NEW block. SO you don't freak out right away if you see this. I have seen the following occurrence more then once on a ej22t block with ej205 DOHC. After 100 miles on the motor, I noticed a small amount of coolant (tip of a q-tip amount) leaking from the underside rear of the drivers side head gasket. When I noticed it, it was already dehydrated into a paste looking drip so it must of happened very shortly after initial start up. I cleaned it and it never reappeared. I am wondering if the HG needs to seat itself by going thru a few heat up cycles. I will monitor that spot for the next few months, just in case.

3. My biggest concern to date. I cannot set the base timing angle (trigger angle). This is done to calibrate the ECU software to the actual motor, so 10 degrees spark advance in the software equals 10 degrees on the motor. Problem is, I don't have a WRX crank pulley with the correct tick mark. The RS crank pulley is like 100 degrees off when I throw the timing light on and set timing to lock to 10. Right now I'm trying to figure out where the crank pulley tick mark is in relation to the crank timing belt pulley and trigger teeth locations. I'm using the 36-2-3 timing pulley from.
maciek puszynski

16 WRX | 6mt | fa20

2.36L Turbo - RSTi Build
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

It may be a bit of hassle, but you should just have to set cylinder 1 to TDC, then mark the pulley at the 0 mark on the little scale. Shouldn't have to really take all that much stuff apart to do that....

I had a similar issue with my WRX crank pulley (didn't have a mark whatsoever), so I just did that, put the cover and pulley back on temporarily and marked it appropriately before putting everything back together.
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
macipusy
Third Gear

Post by macipusy »

Great idea IronMonkey!!! Love it. I will give that a go once I get some time to get back into the garage. The wife and daughter got a little neglected toward the tail end on the swap...we were crashing the schedule.
maciek puszynski

16 WRX | 6mt | fa20

2.36L Turbo - RSTi Build
Lego22T
First Gear

Post by Lego22T »

This is a great read through on the entire build. You've managed to answer a LOT of questions I had heading towards a build like this. I'll be doing a nearly identical build, but I'll be incorporating a full dash/HVAC/wiring swap into my '92 LSS from a donor '02 WRX I purchased. I'm in the plotting & planning phase of my build/swap so this gives me a MUCH clearer direction on how to proceed forward. Thanks for all the detailed info so far!!! I am very anxiously awaiting the dyno results to see where it comes out at.
'92 Legacy Sport - Daily Driver & SCCA AutoX (Class: SM)
"When in doubt, flat out!" Colin McRae 1968-2007
macipusy
Third Gear

Re: Maciek's 2.35L Turbo Build (Update: CAR IS RUNNING Still

Post by macipusy »

A little update. Put 500 miles on the motor so far. Did the second oil change and had a magnet full of metal (little afro looking thing) and disco ball, brainy looking oil...as expected. Still puffs a good cloud of oil on initial start up. I'm not sure how long this is supposed to last. I guess as long as I keep getting metal in the oil, the rings are still breaking in.

I finally got around to setting the base timing correctly in the Haltech software by marking #1TDC at the 0* tick mark on the timing belt cover and verifying the timing once I locked it at 10* in the software. I was only 0.5 degree off. I had the trigger angle set to 67* and adjusted to 67.5* to make the mark on the pulley line up with the correct tick on the cover while using the timing light.

I also finished modifying the n/a radiator to run with turbo coolant reservoir....this required gutting out the stock radiator cap and routing the overflow line to the coolant overflow nipple designed for system burping.

I verified that I am running 5 psi at wastegate boost on the td06-20G.

Still need to finish loose end items like the fuel pressure gauge transducer, warranty the boost gauge transducer and install the whiteline FSB (running no sway bar on the front ATM, but the still handles better then all the Legacies I own).

Ordered the Clutch Masters FX300 clutch kit and a single mass 06 WRX stock weight flywheel for the 06 LGT transmission I will be swapping in sooner then expected. The stock clutch is slipping like crazy under the slightest boost, so I need to upgrade the parts before trying to tune. Looks like tuning will get pushed back to spring time....March/April possibly. Hope to get some more miles on the motor by then.

Stuff I want to accomplish before the dyno tune. Swap 06 LGT transmission, LGT clutch slave cylinder, SS clutch line, CM clutch kit, WRX flywheel, all shifter linkage bushings and GroupN transmission mount and possibly the trans crossmember bushings.
maciek puszynski

16 WRX | 6mt | fa20

2.36L Turbo - RSTi Build
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

My motor also occasionally has a puff of smoke on start up. I'm not 100% sure it's all oil and may be unburnt fuel. I typically notice it if I start the car to move it and turn it off, and then start it up again. If I drive it and get everything up to temperature I really don't notice anything. I also think this may just be the nature of the forged pistons.

I really need to get off my butt and get firmware updated and schedule to have my tuner come out to finish the tune.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

I'm at 2000miles on my build and I still get cold start oil puffs. Its also taken several oil changes for the metal to clear up.
93 impreza rally muffin
93 legacy ss Tarmac Terminator
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
killajamal wrote:Dank is actually German for "silly term which the kids have come up with to describe exceptionally choice marijuana.''
Lego22T
First Gear

Post by Lego22T »

All very good info guys. Thanks for being the Guinea pig. :-)
'92 Legacy Sport - Daily Driver & SCCA AutoX (Class: SM)
"When in doubt, flat out!" Colin McRae 1968-2007
macipusy
Third Gear

Post by macipusy »

A little update on progress. I sold the 91 SS shown in pics on first page. Was sad for 5 minutes. boo hoo

RSTi: LGT 5mt transmission getting a shine, waiting on all parts for the swap....should be here this week. I will try to pull it out next week if I get my wiring issue figured out on the 93 TW first. I need at least one working car, besides the wife's.

Stuff going in during swap: 06 LGT 5mt, Clutch Masters FX300, LGT clutch slave cylinder, SS clutch line, all Kartboy shifter bushings, new u-joint at transmission, COBB short throw shifter (dual adjustable) and GroupN transmission mount.

93 TW: Sorting out electrical problem....short to ground somewhere. I have the Haltech Sprint 500 standalone ECU on the way. Have the n/a fuel rails and 550 STi sidefeeds ready for action as soon as standalone is installed. Need to order a Walbro 255 LPH fuel pump.

Spring time action for the 93TW: sideskirts and rear skirt install, 98 GT wing install, bunch of suspension creak and clunk fixes, right side inner tie rod, and rear hitch mountain bike rack install. And catch can system install....still working out the concept for an upgraded system.
maciek puszynski

16 WRX | 6mt | fa20

2.36L Turbo - RSTi Build
'98Wagon
In Neutral

Post by '98Wagon »

Beautiful Build!

Thank you for keeping this thread up-to-date and for all the pictures. A great resource and fun to read! The car looks great as well!

I have a 22T block in Storage that I want to build eventually. For now, I am doing all the research that I can and trying to figure out the way I want to build it when the time comes.

With your custom pistons, I don't suppose that you were able to keep the piston squirters were you?

I live in Caste Rock, and would love to see your car in person sometime if you had a chance! Maybe I could even buy you lunch and we could talk Subies over it!

Looking forward to seeing your updates!
macipusy
Third Gear

Post by macipusy »

Yes on the oil squirters. One of the main reasons I wanted to use the ej22t block halves.
maciek puszynski

16 WRX | 6mt | fa20

2.36L Turbo - RSTi Build
macipusy
Third Gear

Post by macipusy »

Got the electrical issue on the 93 TW figured out. The wires were turning to copper oxide at the factory splice locations on the main power wires going from the alternator to all the fuse box locations. I am not sure if they got wet with salt water, but the splice connection was located in the fender well....basically the wire disintegrated into a green powder when you touched it. I replaced all the wires and moved the splice location under the hood. Got rid of the ABS fuse and power wire....I don't use this anyway, fuse has been pulled ages ago.

The Haltech Sprint 500 ECU should be here next week. I am ordering a plug and play adapter for the Turbo Legacy ECU plugs, similar to the way I did the RSTi wiring. I probably won't get around to the install till March...got to swap the transmission of the RSTi first, then a few supporting mods on the TW before it goes standalone.

Speaking of the transmission swap....I am planning on Thursday and Friday evening, this week. I am super excited for this. I have not been able to do a WOT pull on the RSTi yet. The stock clutch only holds 90% throttle at max in first gear...after first, it slips anywhere near the peak torque location in the power band. I am around 1,200 miles on the new motor. Rev limit still at 5.5K RPM.

I will take progress photos of the transmission swap and post them sometime in the future.
maciek puszynski

16 WRX | 6mt | fa20

2.36L Turbo - RSTi Build
macipusy
Third Gear

Post by macipusy »

The RSTi....transmission swap is 75% finished. I will be finishing up today. The roads are still crappy and salty, so I am not rushing to get it done. Still have the 500 mile break in on the Clutch Master FX300 before I can really get into boost.

Found another small drip on the drivers side HG. I will continue to watch this. Also, the top driver side cam seal is dumping oil. I hope there is nothing up with the head cam bore or the cam shaft surface. I will inspect this next week and replace the seal. I hope it just got damaged by installation.
maciek puszynski

16 WRX | 6mt | fa20

2.36L Turbo - RSTi Build
macipusy
Third Gear

Post by macipusy »

RSTi update:

Transmission swap done! Clutch has 270 miles on it, only 230 miles to go before I can get on it. Clutch feels really good. Pedal feel is softer than stock. Shifter is almost too still with all the bushings replaced, it did loosen up a tiny bit over the last week.

The bad: 5th gear pops out unless you have pressure on the lever. I am going to contact the person who sold it to me claiming zero problems. It is definitely an internal problem. Possibly the three little spring clips are not installed properly, or missing, to click the gear in. I have an extra LGT transmission I can swap all the internals from, will just have to re-shim the input shaft for correct clearance to front diff on the different transmission case. The snout on that one is chewed up from the TOB.

The better: Cam seal fixed, turned out it was a little crooked on initial install. I remember it was really cold that day, and our focus might not have been 100% on the motor....we were freezing our asses off.

2nd oil change still had a little metal on the magnet, but 75% less metal then the 1st oil change. This is the last time I put in the Rotella T 15-40 before I change to 5W-30 and full 7K redline.....yey!

I will get some pictures up, once I download them.

Boost controler gets hooked up next week.....and I'll go to 10 psi from the 5 psi wastegate pressure. That is as far as I'm going to go before I get it on the dyno....then maybe 22 psi for max tune, and 16-18 psi daily tune map....and wastegate pressure tune for the track.
maciek puszynski

16 WRX | 6mt | fa20

2.36L Turbo - RSTi Build
macipusy
Third Gear

Post by macipusy »

93 TW update:

Haltech Sprint 500 arrived a few days ago, along with Intake Air Temp sensor and Walbro 255 LPH fuel pump kit. N/A fuel rails and 550cc STi yellow top injectors are awaiting installation. I was considering installing the 960cc side feeds I have, but I will probably sell those....kind of overkill for the td05-16g.

I'll probably start working on the wiring next week....and then swap the rails/injectors and load my tune map which I was running on the 91 SS. Probably will only have to adjust peak torque location within the ignition timing map, fuel should be fine since it is a speed density tune map. Still have to install the Innovate wideband O2....just sitting in a drawer.

I'll run it at 16 psi on E85.

Then I can start thinking about the sideskirts, rear lip and rear spoiler install.

After that maybe I can start planning the DOHC swap with the ej20h heads I have hanging out.
maciek puszynski

16 WRX | 6mt | fa20

2.36L Turbo - RSTi Build
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You may have posted this somewhere in your build, but where did you get your magnetic drain plug?

Thanks
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

macipusy
Third Gear

Post by macipusy »

It is a Greddy oil drain plug I found on ebay.
maciek puszynski

16 WRX | 6mt | fa20

2.36L Turbo - RSTi Build
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Maciek's 2.36L Turbo Build (Update CAR IS RUNNING!!!)

Post by Legacy777 »

Ok, thanks
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

macipusy
Third Gear

Post by macipusy »

Got a couple updates.

First the RSTi:
The clutch is broken in, and holy cow the car has a bunch of power at 5psi. It pulls much harder and all the way up to the current 6K redline then my 91 SS ever did at 18 psi on vf39. I am guessing it's close to 300ish whp/wtq at the current safe map tune and 5 psi on the td06-20g. I still need to post the pictures from the transmssion swap.

Now the 93 TW:
The standalone ECU install was a success. Swapped over the n/a 92-94 fuel rails with the Spec B 565 cc sidefeed injectors. Installed the Walbro 255 LPH fuel pump and a full tank of E85. Plugged in the PnP ECU connector I spliced together and loaded my tune map I used for the 91 SS. It started on the first turn of the key....YES!!! I took pictures of the install, and will post them up eventually.

Initial impressions on the td05-16g at 7psi...much smoother pull and pulls hard throughout the whole powerband. I need to get a manual boost controller to see what 18 psi is like.

It's nice to have speed density tuned cars, tune maps can be utilized between them with minimal revisions.

I also started to install the sideskirts and rear skirt....I will take pictures once that is done.
maciek puszynski

16 WRX | 6mt | fa20

2.36L Turbo - RSTi Build
macipusy
Third Gear

Post by macipusy »

Quick correction...looks like the wastegate boost is 9 psi on the RSTi. I guess it couldn't even build full boost on the slipping clutch, and never got over 5 psi. No wonder it feels fast. Can't wait till 22 psi.
maciek puszynski

16 WRX | 6mt | fa20

2.36L Turbo - RSTi Build
macipusy
Third Gear

Post by macipusy »

I'm getting inspired to work on the 93 turbo wagon. I got the sideskirts on and installed the rear skirt by removing the bumper and drilling the bumper skin. I love the way it is looking. Just need to get some time to fab up the 98 GT wing onto it.

The standalone has made a huge difference, and I actually like driving the car now. It starts and idles great without funky hiccups before it is warmed up...I had to keep the foot on the gas for 60 seconds before on initial startup, or it would die right away.

I have pictures of the progress I need to post up. I removed the stock pressure sensor, and boost solenoid to clean up the passenger side strut tower.

I am also on the lookout for a V7 JDM STi scoop to give it a more aggressive look vs the stock WRX hood scoop.

Just need to figure out a front lip solution....maybe I'll start looking on RSLibery site.

And I will have my sedan rear OEM skirt for sale sometime soon. I sold it with my SS, but told the guy if he ever gets rid of it, the skirt comes back to me....and he is selling it soon. I got this item from Australia a few years ago.
maciek puszynski

16 WRX | 6mt | fa20

2.36L Turbo - RSTi Build