Maciek's 2.36L Turbo Build (and boom goes #4 rod bearing!)

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

macipusy
Third Gear

Re: Maciek's 2.36L Turbo Build (Actual car pics 4.23.14)

Post by macipusy »

I'm going swap out the oil pickup for a new OEM unit tonight. New oring as well.

Lets hope pulling the pan off with the motor in the car is not complete brain damage. I know you have to lift the motor a tiny bit. I'll report back when I have some new data.
Last edited by macipusy on Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maciek puszynski

01 Impreza | v6 STi RA | 5mt | ej236t
93 Legacy Turbo | TW | 4eat | ej22t
16 WRX | 6mt | fa20
98 Legacy GT | wagon | 5mt | ej25d

2.36L Turbo - RSTi Build
Dominator
First Gear

Post by Dominator »

Nice photo shoot with the RSTI. I love all the color from the graffiti.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Very nice pics! Wish those fog covers weren't so damn expensive! Good thing my RS is BRP also cause I have those wheels and brakes lol.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
macipusy
Third Gear

Post by macipusy »

I have a big update coming soon....been super busy whole last month getting ready for dyno tuning. Especially dealing with the 'low' oil pressure issues.

Quick run down (I'll fill in details and pictures when I get some free time), I tuned the RSTi last week on Boostcreep's dyno. Came in with 275wtq/280whp at wastegate boost and left out the door with 360wtq/350whp at 22psi. All I did was turn up the boost and give it 2 degrees extra timing in peak torque and upper RPM's. It was pretty much dialed in, slightly on the safe side. Timing still looks very safe to me for E85.

Took it to the track and beat on it for a little as well. Did a half day at High Plains Raceway, outside of Denver, CO.

Car feels very fast....need to get used to it at this power level. Definitely more out of control in corners then when it was n/a....but at 3.5 times the power, it was expected.
maciek puszynski

16 WRX | 6mt | fa20

2.36L Turbo - RSTi Build
robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Post by robertpaige »

Super stoked for you! What ECU are you using?

EditL nvm, I found it in the build thread.
the guy who had the really low winestone SS on the corvette wheels
macipusy
Third Gear

Post by macipusy »

Fricken crap! I had a good week with the RSTi....tuning and track day, get home up north and the turbo wagon has developed an electrical short just sitting in the garage....WTF? I swear these cars are jealous of each other. Every time I used to take the n/a RS to the track and get home, the SS would blow second gear the first time I drove it....twice in a row within 4 months!!! It's like having 2 girlfriends that know about each other....no one wins.

I tried to start the wagon to get it out of the garage and the battery was dead....weird, 5 volts. I thought it was strange, so I tried to jump it....the wires sparked a little (more than normal) when I tried to hook them up. I tested the resistance between the ground and power wires....95 ohms. Should be Open Load. Argh....I hate tracking shorts.

And more....the 06 WRX rear spoiler I picked up will not fit the wagon. The profiles at the edges are a perfect fit to the Legacy roof, but it's 1-2 inches too narrow to line up the profiles correctly. The spoiler is hollow, so cutting it up might not be an option.

And the RSTi base fuel pressure is randomly showing 35 psi. Most likely the Walbro crapping out....only 6 months old.

Do fuel pressure regulators ever go bad where the base fuel pressure is affected?
maciek puszynski

16 WRX | 6mt | fa20

2.36L Turbo - RSTi Build
macipusy
Third Gear

Post by macipusy »

Fixed the turbo wagon electrical short last night. It turned out to be a relay I was using to power the wideband O2 system (controller and gauge). The relay failed internally causing a short and draining my battery. Car is back up and running.

I also opted to trim the 06 WRX wagon wing to try to fit it onto my Legacy. I'm not sold on it yet....but the wing was free, so I'll hack it up trying.

I'm going to reinstall a PCV system back onto the RSTi. I found a large amount of white milky material in the vent hoses....probably due to no vacuum being pulled on the system during 90% of the operation, when manifold pressures do not exceed atmosphere pressures.
maciek puszynski

16 WRX | 6mt | fa20

2.36L Turbo - RSTi Build
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

macipusy wrote:And the RSTi base fuel pressure is randomly showing 35 psi. Most likely the Walbro crapping out....only 6 months old.

Do fuel pressure regulators ever go bad where the base fuel pressure is affected?
Base fuel pressure at idle should be around that pressure. Mine is around 33-34 psi at idle.

If the regulator does fail, fuel pressure will increase at idle.

I'm at about 45 psi at 7 lbs of boost.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
macipusy
Third Gear

Post by macipusy »

That is good to know Josh.

I was not sure, since I'm using the 02-05 WRX rails and pressure regulator.
maciek puszynski

16 WRX | 6mt | fa20

2.36L Turbo - RSTi Build
macipusy
Third Gear

Post by macipusy »

I've been reading that the 02-05 WRX should have base pressure of 43.5 psi.

I have seen my fuel pressure at 43ish psi for at least the first 5 months of operation. Last month I noted 38psi. Since then I've been seeing more and more 35 psi readings at idle. Lately 30 psi has been noted. Mostly it is still in the 43 psi range at idle.

When I see a lower pressure upon start up, the pressure usually makes it's way up in a minute or two, very slow rise. Also, just priming the pump, I will get 43 psi, but sometimes 30-35 psi.

If the pressure was lower then 43.5 psi, but always similar, it probably wouldn't bother me. I get weary when I see inconsistent readings which have shifts of over 10 psi in base pressure. Makes me question the Walbro 255...which have been known to have high rate of recent failures, especially with higher volume flows on E85 motors.
maciek puszynski

16 WRX | 6mt | fa20

2.36L Turbo - RSTi Build
dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

My e85 240sx eats through walbros. E85 in general will take more than half the life out of a walbro. I've had better luck with the areomotive stealth pump and most recently have had good luck with an AEM fuel pump.
93 impreza rally muffin
93 legacy ss Tarmac Terminator
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
killajamal wrote:Dank is actually German for "silly term which the kids have come up with to describe exceptionally choice marijuana.''
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Hmm....I would suggest pulling the vacuum line off the regulator to see if that changes fuel pressure. If the readings go up and are consistent with the vacuum line on/off then I'd lean towards the pump. However if your readings are inconsistent with the regulator's vacuum line on/off I'd lean towards the regulator maybe failing.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

macipusy
Third Gear

Post by macipusy »

Thanks for the input Josh.

Just to clarify this process....

When I see low fuel pressure readings upon start up at idle, I should pull off the vacuum line on the regulator and observe a change...

...if pressure goes up, it's probably not the pump?
...if pressure remains low, then it is most likely the pump?

Are these assumptions correct?
maciek puszynski

16 WRX | 6mt | fa20

2.36L Turbo - RSTi Build
macipusy
Third Gear

Post by macipusy »

I finally got a tiny bit of free time to post a proper update from the last couple of months.

All of April I was getting the RSTi ready for the dyno tune. I was mostly concerned about the low oil pressure at high RPMs....50ish psi.

First, I shimmed the original 10mm oil pump I had on there. I added 2 extra 1mm thick shims, for a total of 3 shims in the relief valve. It bumped the oil pressure to 55 psi at max 7K RPMs.

This is the relief valve plug with washer, spring and shim.

Oil pump view with relief valve removed

I still was not satisfied with the max pressure...so I opted to buy a new 10mm pump and test it. Just in case the one I was using was on the low side of flow variability.

New 10mm oil pump with front main and oil galley o-ring

Everything off again....coolant drained, radiator out, timing belt off...and clean time

New 10mm on!

I was disappointed to see only 45-50psi max pressure at full RPMs.

So I dropped more coin on this....11mm STi pump

I was all excited until I only saw 48 psi max with this pump at full RPMs. The rate of pressure rise up to 50 psi was much quicker than the 10mm pumps, but max pressure was similar.

Off with the timing belt once more, and in with 2 extra shims in the relief valve....grand total of (3) 1mm shims.

Pressure increased by 5ish psi.

Next I took off the oil cooler. It is the only spot between the oil pump and the oil galleys. If it was restricting flow, it could cause a pressure spike in front of it, and blow off the relief valve with pressures on the back side of the cooler to read lower.

Nope....did not change the pressure at all.

Drain coolant again...and back on with the cooler.

I think I have removed the tbelt and drained the coolant 8 times in 3K miles...getting good at the process.

The only thing left was to go back to Rotella T 15W40 for a slight pressure increase.....now sits at 55-60psi max pressure at full RPMs.

That was the extent of a very exhausting effort to try to maximize the oil pressure. I came to the conclusion that this pressure is what this motor wants to run....maybe the oil squirters are flowing more or something.

The FSM states 43.5psi at 5K RPM, so I am within the spec, just lower then the average people are reporting for the oil pressures within the Subaru community. Usually people see 72-80psi at max RPMs.

Not going to worry about this any longer.
maciek puszynski

16 WRX | 6mt | fa20

2.36L Turbo - RSTi Build
macipusy
Third Gear

Post by macipusy »

Then it was time to make the trip down to Colorado to visit my dear friend Harvey aka Boostcreep and rent some dyno time.

Straight off the highway and onto the dyno!

All I really had to do is turn up the boost....incrementally of course. I only had to do 11 pulls. Boost was at wastegate first....10psi, then up to 15psi, 17psi, 20psi and 22psi. The turbo can do up to 26psi, but I wanted to leave more room for the future...when I get used to this power and want more. I ended up adding only 2 degrees of timing in full boost....that is all. I did spend a lot of time road tuning it over the 6 months before the dyno session.

The 22psi run yielded 360wtq and 350 whp. On E85 of course.

Here is the dyno sheet with boost I am running on the street....20psi

I really like how flat the torque curve is, and how almost linear the power band is. It's almost 340 straight across the board, with a tiny dip at 5250 RPM where the torque and hp cross.

Car feels amazing, and once in boost pulls very smooth all the way up.
maciek puszynski

16 WRX | 6mt | fa20

2.36L Turbo - RSTi Build
macipusy
Third Gear

Re: Maciek's 2.36L Turbo Build (Dyno Sheet 6.13.14)

Post by macipusy »

And a video of one of the final dyno pulls...Harvey was driving and I was on the laptop tuning.

Dyno Pull Video Link
maciek puszynski

16 WRX | 6mt | fa20

2.36L Turbo - RSTi Build
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Maciek,

Nice numbers with the dyno and yeah maybe that engine just wants to run with slightly less oil pressure. How were the oil clearances on the bearings when you put the motor together....everything in spec?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

macipusy wrote:Thanks for the input Josh.

Just to clarify this process....

When I see low fuel pressure readings upon start up at idle, I should pull off the vacuum line on the regulator and observe a change...

...if pressure goes up, it's probably not the pump?
...if pressure remains low, then it is most likely the pump?

Are these assumptions correct?

I would suggest doing the check first when fuel pressure is "normal". Since you're trying to narrow the problem down between the pump & regulator I think it'd be best to check things when things are working properly. If the pressure goes up and stays up when you pull the vacuum line off I'd lean towards the regulator functioning properly and lean towards the fuel pump being inconsistent/bad. If the pressure readings are inconsistent or vary when you pull the vacuum line off I'd lean towards the regulator being bad and the pump being ok.

Does that make sense.....it makes sense in my head...but I may be wrong....
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

macipusy
Third Gear

Post by macipusy »

All bearing clearances were set to stock specs. ~0.001" for rods and 0.0015" for mains

Josh....that does make sense....thanks.
maciek puszynski

16 WRX | 6mt | fa20

2.36L Turbo - RSTi Build
macipusy
Third Gear

Post by macipusy »

More data gathered on fuel pressure inconsistencies. I have not been letting the tank get below 1/4 full. No fuel pressure inconsistencies have been observed in the last few weeks. I am thinking it is probably not the fuel pump or the fuel pressure regulator, but possibly the system which moves fuel from one side of the tank to the other, when fuel is low. I don't know much about this yet, but I am going to start reading up on how the system functions.
maciek puszynski

16 WRX | 6mt | fa20

2.36L Turbo - RSTi Build
macipusy
Third Gear

Post by macipusy »

I am also starting to plan out the DOHC swap on the Turbo Wagon. I have been doing some CR calculations to see how much I will lose if I just swap the ej20h heads and manifold and keep all else equal. Initial calculations show (assuming stock ej22t CR is 8.0:1 and stock ej22t combustion chamber volume is 42cc) that I will lose about 0.6:1 CR. This would effectively lower the CR from 8.0:1 to 7.4:1. I think it should be OK for drivability, just need to turn up the boost.

The plan includes:
ej20h DOHC heads, ported and polished
stock ej22t HG
hybrid fuel rails composed of ej20g, ej22t and ej25d components....to allow for under the manifold turbo inlet (once the td05-16g JDM STi turbo is replaced.
ej20g manifold
550cc or 960cc side feed injectors
ej22t or ej20g TB....whichever gives me better fitment of a larger TMIC, possibly the STi

At first I will probably stick with the JDM turbo and stock power steering pump, and later upgrade to the under the manifold turbo inlet setup.
maciek puszynski

16 WRX | 6mt | fa20

2.36L Turbo - RSTi Build
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

I had that setup, minus the port and polish. The low compression lacked off boost power and was kinda of frustrating.

It took 18lbs on a VF39 very nicely tho.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
86BRATMAN
Second Gear

Post by 86BRATMAN »

You can run the ej222 head gasket, will keep the compression ratio closer to stock, it's .8mm as opposed to the ej22t 1.5mm. It does put you fairly tight on quench height, but Fuji K on nasioc says he ran that basic setup for years with no issues.
macipusy
Third Gear

Post by macipusy »

Cool...thanks 86BRATMAN. I will look into those HG.

The only reason I was going to use stock ej22t HG, is because I have a set laying around.
maciek puszynski

16 WRX | 6mt | fa20

2.36L Turbo - RSTi Build
macipusy
Third Gear

Post by macipusy »

I took the front struts off the Turbo Wagon and installed the tapered washer between the strut and top hat (which the previous owner did not instal). Also threw on the STi outer tie rod ends while it was apart. What a difference that made.

All that is left in the front is an inner tie rod end. I don't have the special tool for it.
maciek puszynski

16 WRX | 6mt | fa20

2.36L Turbo - RSTi Build