Tony's 91 SS 29Dec R.I.P.

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

mike-tracy

Re: Tony's 91 SS 29Dec R.I.P.

Post by mike-tracy »

Holy! I'm sorry Tony. Hope you're OK!
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

That's some scary stuff to look at. Hope you're going to be ok!
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

OH NO!!

I'm speachless.....are you ok? As much as we love our cars, we can always get another one, but we can't replace ourselves. I hope you're doing ok.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

Thanks for the concern everyone. Wish it was an early April fools joke or something.
Yea, I'm good. Just sore, I'm sure I feel it more tomorrow though. Had it been the 05 which has full coverage I wouldn't be so down about it, but hey I drive a Subaru with no airbags, 25 year old safety standards and I was able to pull myself out. Then run to the guy that hit me and make sure he was ok. However, had I been hit any other way, driver head to head, or I rear ended someone. It would be a different story.

And for those of you that valve your vehicle learn from my lack of knowledge. Put collision coverage on the car. Yes it may cost extra but I will more than likely see nothing from this.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Post by 93Leg-c »

Wow! Unbelievable. How fast was the other driver going? That trunk is really smashed in. What was he driving? Was he drunk? It is a real credit to how well-built the Legacy is -- the passenger compartment held up very well.

You must be really sore all over. Please rest up well and let us know how you are doing.
'94 TW
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

this is the difference in 22 years of safety design. Fucking Camry always keeping a Subaru Legacy down.

Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

:shock: OMG! Glad your OK :!: That's scary shit :smt022 poor Lego R.I.P
93 impreza rally muffin
93 legacy ss Tarmac Terminator
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
killajamal wrote:Dank is actually German for "silly term which the kids have come up with to describe exceptionally choice marijuana.''
rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

Glad your ok, this is my biggest fear driving mine. I'm not worried about my driving, it's everyone else I worry about. In the last 15 years all my accidents were not my fault and my poor Legos keep getting hit, sideswiped and rear ended.
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)
originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Post by originalcyn »

Good to hear you're ok Tony. That's pretty gnarly. I love that you're still rocking washington plates on the SS.
Kijan

1993 Legacy LS | PBM 227
2004 Forester 2.5XT Premium | JBP 18L
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

Holy wow. I'm sure anyone riding in your back seats would have been quite a bit more sore. As much as it sucks all you can ask for in a situation like this is to have yourself out in one piece, and to not have to deal with seeing anyone else badly injured.

Was the Camry driver not at fault for this? It doesn't make sense that their insurance wouldn't pay for your car being totaled. But being such an old car, you likely wouldn't see much more than pocket change either way, as they only care about market value and not about your mods or how hard it is to find the car in the same shape your's was in. :( I'd much rather walk away from the accident with nothing than to have paid an extra $900/yr for 7 years to my insurance just to get enough to replace it with an L sedan when it's wrecked.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Post by 93Leg-c »

It would be a good idea to show the insurance company agent this build thread of yours. It could help. Also, if you have receipts for your parts that you purchased, especially those within a year, that also may help get a higher settlement.
'94 TW
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

James614 wrote:Holy wow. I'm sure anyone riding in your back seats would have been quite a bit more sore. As much as it sucks all you can ask for in a situation like this is to have yourself out in one piece, and to not have to deal with seeing anyone else badly injured.

Was the Camry driver not at fault for this? It doesn't make sense that their insurance wouldn't pay for your car being totaled. But being such an old car, you likely wouldn't see much more than pocket change either way, as they only care about market value and not about your mods or how hard it is to find the car in the same shape your's was in. :( I'd much rather walk away from the accident with nothing than to have paid an extra $900/yr for 7 years to my insurance just to get enough to replace it with an L sedan when it's wrecked.
Anyone in the back would have been fine. The rear, not the truck area was completely intact. I am very happy no one else was in the car with me though. Espicially in the passenger seat as they would have only had the dash to really stop them, versus being in the back having seats in front of you. I did manage to hit the steering wheel with my cheek, luckily nothing broken and no cuts.

He was at fault and admitted to it. He told me he didn't have insurance and that he owed me a car.
The average PP price for the car was around 1,200 and I kept trying to get collision but they always talked me out of it. They just saw it as a 91 Subaru and nothing more. I will be calling the insurance company to make sure my other vehicles will be covered correctly and I suggest other do the same. It has been a terrible learning curve for me.

That being said, the process from aquiring the car to the final demise has been a great experience. I have met a lot of great people and have gained new friends. Though I may not get to see you guys again due to jobs and what not, I consider yall family. This is the best forum and that's it. I am on many fourms and this is not only the easist to navigate but also full of info. My builds and others prove that. If you can't find an answer on here then you probably aren't even working on a Subaru and you are confused haha. Some people see cars as just transportation but the few of us understand there is more to it than that. I am not sure what the next build will be or if I will get another BC.

I am fortunate to be able to write this and very thankful I could celebrate the coming of a new year and the passing of an old year. What happened is already in the past but the history will remain and live right here in the BBS! I hope everyone had a Happy New Year and hope that anyone that comes across this build thread will read this and remember that life is a Bitch and that unfortunately things happen for a reason. How you chose to deal with the past will determine your happiness for the future. Use the past as a learning tool and not an excuse. Do your best to not have any regrets. Also, remember no matter how small an interaction may seem, it can have a lasting impact so make the most of it.

Enjoy the future, remember the past and long live the Legacy!
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

SILINC3R wrote:He told me he didn't have insurance and that he owed me a car.
:shock: ... :roll: ... wouldn't have expected that. Since it's unlikely he'd actually pay up anything regardless, I'd just use the situation to make F&F quotes relating to him owning you a 10 second car. Gotta have fun with it somehow :lol:

Your appreciation for everything that has come from your build outside of having the car itself is something that some people have a hard time coming to terms with. It took me 2 wrecks before I finally got my priorities straight, and learned that our possessions are not persistent things in our life worthy of emotional investment, no matter how much time and money we put into them. Being able to let go of things and move forward better for what has happened is invaluable, rather than looking back and dwelling on what you thought you had.

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Tony! I'm glad that you're still around to celebrate the new year with us and seem to be handling thing as well as possible.
I'm also sorry for your loss. You had a lot invested in that car and its a shame to see it fall victim to such negligence.
I certainly hope we won't see any less of you in the future.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Tony, I'm glad you're feeling alright and have a positive outlook on things. We're glad you're still around! I'm still in a bit of shock from those pictures! Any idea on how the fire started? I'm guessing it was related to broken fuel line?

Regarding the insurance....this is something I'm at a bit of odds with. I carry full coverage on my Legacy, but not my Impreza. The blue book value of the Legacy, especially mine since it was listed as a FWD non-turbo is probably close to nothing, yet I keep the full coverage. State Farm has eluded to that they would cover the car for the appraised value. I need to pull my records together and get it appraised. I venture to guess though that the premium would go up with the appraised value.

A friend also told me about another insurance company that just does classic or modified cars. He has a 98 Impreza RS that has an STi drivetrain swap. I'll have to see if I can get that website from him again.

Back to full coverage insurance thing....for example on the Impreza....I would have to do the math, but I would venture that if I would have carried full coverage on it since I bought it the insurance premiums would have easily covered the costs of buying the car.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

Legacy777 wrote: Back to full coverage insurance thing....for example on the Impreza....I would have to do the math, but I would venture that if I would have carried full coverage on it since I bought it the insurance premiums would have easily covered the costs of buying the car.
This tends to be my experience. Especially since I've owned my TW for so long, I would have put over $6000 extra into the insurancecompany's pocket by now for a car that I'm sure wouldn't be worth more than $2000 on a good day, even with my mods (the body has been well worn over 23 years and my "mods" look 98% stock and have no verifiable documentation).

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Man Tony that video was tough to watch. Even as short as it was and without audio it still hurt to see it burn. Was the guy just not paying attention or texting and hit you at a stop? How do you have a car that new and not have insurance?? That baffles me. We almost bought one of those 2011 camrys last week but went with an 08 accord ex-l instead because it was much better quality.

I don't have coverage on either of my vehicles either and I have to recommend you don't get it on your next 1st gen if you get another. You just end up paying for the car several times over in insurance and then they turn around and screw you when it gets totaled. That's why I dropped the coverage after my accident with the tree. They totaled it out and offered me $700. I pointed out that I've got far more into the car than that and they sell for more than that and they said there were paint chips in the hood and that paint wasn't perfect and there was a dent in the rear so that brings the value down to $700 or they'll give me $900 and take ownership of my baby. I can't tell you how mad I was on the phone hearing this bullshit. I said, in a shaky enraged voice,"There's no way you're taking my car from me."

How can an insurance company charge someone for years for a predetermined value on a car for coverage and then once an accident occurs suddenly they want to appraise it so they can claim it has a lower value than was assumed all those years that said person has been paying the premium and pay a fraction of the value they were paying for?? Unfortunately I did not know the art of haggling with the insurance company as my buddy Robert did when his 1st gen was stolen. He printed out every 1st gen ad with the highest prices he could find on the internet and negotiated for a couple months with them before accepting their offer of $6,500 for his legacy! Had I only known. I'll never let that happen again. That is, if I ever pay for coverage again.

Anyways, super glad you're ok and a bummed for your loss. I hope you get another one and come to another WCSS one of these years. I plan to go this year since I missed last year.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

Kimo that is the issue I am having is because he didn't have insuarance. Upon speaking with the insurance company I can unerstand why people don't as many of you have pointed out, but it is one of those things that have to be payed. If you have no coverage and hurt someone and mess up their vehicle your going to get sued. If the driver at least had liability then I would be in this problem to begin with.

So I undertand that it is a waste of money but you can cover the very limited like I did and that's only like 60 a month. My idea for insuarnce would be a value that you want to insure like 6,000. You make monthly payments until it is payed off then you don't have to pay anymore. Same for medical and other coverages. This way everyone is happy. Insurance company gets some money and you are covered.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

I did have uninsured motorist coverage in addition to liability on all my cars. I agree that specifically is a really good thing to have and it was quite cheap. I never thought much about it though.

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I guess to clarify....I'm talking about having collision & comprehensive (full coverage) as opposed to just liability. I don't know if it's illegal in all states, but I know in Texas and Washington it's illegal to not carry liability insurance.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

Legacy777 wrote:I guess to clarify....I'm talking about having collision & comprehensive (full coverage) as opposed to just liability. I don't know if it's illegal in all states, but I know in Texas and Washington it's illegal to not carry liability insurance.
It is, you are at least supposed to get a ticket and in Arkansas and GA you can get arrested.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

SILINC3R wrote:Kimo that is the issue I am having is because he didn't have insuarance. Upon speaking with the insurance company I can unerstand why people don't as many of you have pointed out, but it is one of those things that have to be payed. If you have no coverage and hurt someone and mess up their vehicle your going to get sued. If the driver at least had liability then I would be in this problem to begin with.

So I undertand that it is a waste of money but you can cover the very limited like I did and that's only like 60 a month. My idea for insuarnce would be a value that you want to insure like 6,000. You make monthly payments until it is payed off then you don't have to pay anymore. Same for medical and other coverages. This way everyone is happy. Insurance company gets some money and you are covered.
No I have coverage for the other driver and their vehicle but my vehicle is not covered. That's what I was talking about. It would be a waste of money to have coverage on my vehicle itself because they'll only give you a few hundred to a thousand for your car.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I believe it's at least $500 ticket, if not $800 for driving with no insurance and if you do it again you might be arrested. Been a long time since I've heard anyone I know get a ticket for it so I can't remember the exact punishment.
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

I've gotten a lot of them in the past. It's a little over 500.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

kimokalihi wrote:
SILINC3R wrote:Kimo that is the issue I am having is because he didn't have insuarance. Upon speaking with the insurance company I can unerstand why people don't as many of you have pointed out, but it is one of those things that have to be payed. If you have no coverage and hurt someone and mess up their vehicle your going to get sued. If the driver at least had liability then I would be in this problem to begin with.

No I have coverage for the other driver and their vehicle but my vehicle is not covered. That's what I was talking about. It would be a waste of money to have coverage on my vehicle itself because they'll only give you a few hundred to a thousand for your car.
Oh, ok. That's what i have as well. Liability and medical for the other driver. Except for the LGT, that has full because its a loan.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP