CFK's 92 SS Daily/Project (Video & Pics added Mar/31)

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: CFK's 92 SS Daily/Project (Updated Apr/17. MOTOR BLOWN,H

Post by Legacy777 »

Did you put the throw out bearing on the transmission snout and then put the clutch fork through it before putting the clutch fork pivot pin in?

Once everything was installed, did you snap the throw out bearing into the pressure plate by moving clutch fork lever back? Have you tried moving the clutch fork by hand?

If you pull the clutch pedal back up off the floor and depress it again, does anything change?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
CFK
Second Gear

Post by CFK »

Ah, ok. Grabbed the fork by hand . Pushed it in. Then pushed in the pedal. Went to the floor. Grabbed it buy hand. Then next time it sprung back into position ! Then I flushed the fluid. GTG :!:

Thanks Josh !¡!

Then I wired up my MSD Coilpack. It was 4 wires on the old pack, 3 on the new one. Assumed the center red wire was power and there was 2 grounds. Didn't fire up. So I assume that was backwards ! Will switch the wires when I get back and try again :?
Build Thread : HERE
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily
84 Jetta Coupe. Real Project
99 A4 Avant. Wife's Daily
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Glad to hear you got the clutch working.

Regarding the coil pack, there should only be three wires. Here is the diagnostic testing for the stock coil pack. The center #2 pin should be 12v.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... cktest.jpg
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

CFK
Second Gear

Post by CFK »

OK, So I double checked the coil pack wiring. The connector was wired correct, but the coilpack was 180 Degrees the wrong way. As if the connection was on the passenger side like the factory Hitachi unit, making terminal #1 connected to Cylinder #4 :oops:

So after much Cranking it fired up, runs terrible. There's a Clacking noise like it's running on 3 cylinders or brutally similar to the sound of rod knock :shock:

Once warmed up and the fan kicks in, Idle drops to 400-500 and wants to stall. AFR is 13.5-14.9 ( Have Delta 220 Cams.

CEL remains on, Codes read 45 & 49. - 45 : MAP & Pressure Exchange Solenoid. 49 : MAF ( Changed over to a JECS MAF since I will be Installing the Rob Tune ECU )

So I was thinking if the MAP Sensor is part of the ECU and I am gonna change it anyway , I will do that and see if it clears both codes and runs smoother. I checked the Exchange solenoid and there is 12V & the coil is within specs at 42 Ohms.

:|
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

If you are still running the stock ECU, you need to put the Hitachi MAF back on until you put the Robtune in. There's no way around that.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

CFK
Second Gear

Post by CFK »

Finally got the car back on the road yesterday. Rob Tune installed. Feels great, except there's a very loud ticking from one head. Fairly positive it's the lifters, but I did bleed them an added one shim (washer) underneath each one when I installed the Delta Cams. So I was thinking of buying 8 new lifters and installing those today.

Oh, and it appears the rear main might be leaking, took forever to install and I read numerous threads stating that it had to be even all around and only flush with the taper. Which I did !!! :smt022

This Car will be the death of me :smt013
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I replied to your email, but so others know, I did have one or two lifters I had to add a second washer to get the proper lash adjustment.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

CFK
Second Gear

Post by CFK »

Ok Perfect Thanks. Just Jacked it up and checked, definitely the Rear main !

Also, another thing. I re-used the original metal Oil separator cover plate with Anaerobic Sealer, but I have noticed that the brand new ones are steel. Should i have used that one ? Maybe RTV sealant as well. The Anaerobic is used for metal to metal on the Oil Pump so I figured it would work better :?:
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The original aluminum oil separator is fine to reuse, it won't crack like the plastic one. However you should have used Permatex Ultra-Grey sealant. The oil pump gets the same thing, Permatex Ultra-Grey. I'm not saying the anaerobic won't work, but I'm just telling you what Subaru recommends.

Here's info on sealant recommendations:

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... alants.gif
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

CFK
Second Gear

Re: CFK's 92 SS Daily/Project (Updated.July6.Pretty Engine P

Post by CFK »

I Will pick some up then, Foolish of me to listen to Haynes :!:

Thanks Josh, I really can't thank you ENOUGH :smt058 Enjoy some Pics now !

Some Pics of Carnage, Goodies and the assembled motor

Cracked TD05 Housing

Phenolic Spacers

Assembled and Ready

Lightened Flywheel

Before the new MSD

Got the Rob Tune in there as well, took it for a spin. Awesome, then returned.

OIL EVERYWHERE :!:

Time to pull it back out :smt013 :smt022
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily
CFK
Second Gear

Post by CFK »

Got the Motor back in :!: ................... Again :smt081

Took it for a spin, now instead of smelling fresh motor oil and seeing a large puddle

Now I smell Gear oil and see a small puddle :smt013

Was there an Input shaft seal or something on the tranny side ( 5MT ) that I should have replaced :?:

Im really beginning to dislike this car and have never even consistently had it on the F'ing Road :!: :smt089
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Is the puddle under the engine/tranny or where the tranny meets the driveshaft, or where the axles go in? There are seals in all those locations :(
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
CFK
Second Gear

Post by CFK »

it is around the bellhousing area again i believe. When I get home from work I will check the axle flanges then :|
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

Dammit, just when we see progress, it's always followed by "pulling it out again." I wish things were going better for you on this project.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
CFK
Second Gear

Post by CFK »

Yes This is BEYOND Frustrating !!! Just when I think im winning, it just turns around and spits in my Face :!: :smt010

I didn't think it was leaking all that bad, as it was before. BUT, I decided to take it out for a drive, maybe enjoy it for an hour or so, 1/2 hour later the clutch starts slipping , pull over. a small tuft of smoke comes out the scoop, I smell gear oil, back up to see quite a large puddle of blackish clear oil. cruised home at very low RPM, could start to hear it faintly whine a bit by the time I returned.

Poured myself a Kraken on the Rocks, jacked it up. Oil streaming from the bellhousing, could see it coming from the starter flange, and sprayed the rest of the undercarriage. Chassis WELL Lubricated ! :smt013 FML :smt022

So I have come to the conclusion that it is the oil seal on the main shaft of the Transmission. And that possibly ( most Likely ) it was never the rear main that was pissing out in the first ( I mean 2nd ) Place !

I never even smelt or inspected the oil, only assumed it was the rear main :roll: but when i did re-pull/inspect it, there was a small section of the seal on the crank side that had seemed to sink in a touch, a scratch on the crank and some oil on the seal ( but also oil all over the bellhousing )

I have a terrible sense of smell !

THE OPTIONS :

- I have a spare tranny in my shed, haven't driven on it. 250K Kms. So I am thinking of ripping the old one out and sending both out to re-build one.
- Taking a gamble, throwing in spare
- re-building one myself ( transmissions scare me :? )
- Sending the POS to the Scapper :twisted: :!:

Don't think I can afford a 6MT Swap or have the patience for much of anything now, let alone the wiring.

Beginning to think I should have Scrapped this POS right about now :smt013 :smt011 :smt076 :smt092 :smt093 :smt086 :smt086 :smt010

Thanks for Listening :smt022
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Sorry to hear about the problems.

If you have another vehicle, my suggestion would be to just pack everything up and forget about it for a little while. I've found that when I get frustrated with the car stuff, I need to step away from it or otherwise I get pissed and ultimately hate working on the car. This is why it took me about a year to do the 6spd swap, between when I got the trans and got the car running. I just didn't feel like working on the car last summer so I said fuck it. It wasn't until the late fall until I had the desire to start working on things.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

CFK
Second Gear

Post by CFK »

Haha, no way josh. I'm a Ginger, I get angry. Have a tantrum. Pour a drink. I'm over it by the morning and divising a plan ! I just need to get it done, then hopefully enjoy the last month & a half of summer :!:

I talked to a reputable Driveline shop this morning that my buddy's shop gets to rebuild all there customers and shop GT3 RS Cup car sequential gearboxes. They said it it would be 4 hours labour + the seal kit. Just gonna bite the bullet and get it over with !

My friends are willing to help me this or just about any weekend, but ya. I'll take tonight off :-D

That 1/2 hour of driving was just bloody orgasmic though :smt016

That's why this car will be worth it !¡!

It would be nice to do a whole 4.44 swap, but that's just a whole nother pile of $
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily
CFK
Second Gear

Post by CFK »

Well, Got the re-sealed tranny back. My spare one had worn Syncro's, brought them the one out of the car. Said it looked much better and that was re-built at some point. Talking with them trying to diagnose the problem they said to make sure the pilot bearing was pressed into the flywheel correctly. I then realized that my new Exedy Clutch kit and lightened flywheel did not come with one and I guess I just installed it anyway :smt013

As Seen Here :

I feel real STUPID :smt022 For some reason I thought the stock bearing didn't fit the flywheel and if the kit didn't come with one it wouldn't need it :smt089

The Tranny guys explained to me that the pushrod would have just came out the spline and sagged down, therefore resting onto the front main seal scoring it :!:

Sucks that it's my fault, but now I actually know the reason otherwise I might have just repeated it . Plus I'm not mad at the Car now. Just myself :!: :smt075
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily
CAV3MAN227
Third Gear

Post by CAV3MAN227 »

-I want that up-pipe lol!

-Joe
-I'd rather loose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch cause someone else built it for me. Your car, is your story, so don't let someone else write the book. ~Moog
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Well at least you figured it out. I had to press in the stock pilot bearing on my lightened flyhweel when I did the 5spd swap.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

CFK
Second Gear

Re: CFK's 92 SS Daily/Project (Updated Oct . Pics Up)

Post by CFK »

Officially on the road for the longest period yet ! Failed emissions with the Delta Cams, but none the less is insured. FINALLY :!:

Testing out both the car and my new Olympus E-5. One of which is WAY to Complicated :!:

Got stuck in the mud all by myself, along ways from home. Luckily made it out the trenches 8)
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily
DevC
First Gear

Re: CFK's 92 SS Daily/Project (Updated OCT 1. New Pics !)

Post by DevC »

Where did you go? That looks more interior like terrain then the coast.
93 Turbo Wagon, 5mt swap, vlsd, sti slanty, vf10, alk, subframe lockout, gr2's, sti sways.
96 F-350 CCLB Powerstroke
89 Volvo 244, lsx swap
CFK
Second Gear

Re: CFK's 92 SS Daily/Project (Updated OCT 1. New Pics !)

Post by CFK »

Your Correct :!:

This was just off the edge of the Coquihalla. Inks Lake exit just after Kamloops heading west. Much of been Government land, but there was cows everywhere !

My Family has a Cabin in Blind Bay, Sorrento. Right on the lake. The wife was working in Salmon Arm and staying there. So I made a few trips up and took some random exits and did some exploring :!:

It was some good times, not many places down here you can do that.
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily
CFK
Second Gear

Re: CFK's 92 SS Daily/Project (Updated NOV 2, Dyno Results)

Post by CFK »

Dyno Results with a issue to sort out. A discussion of the resulys here :

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=52750

92 SS 5MT. Project Daily
CFK
Second Gear

Re: CFK's 92 SS Daily/Project (Updated NOV 2, Dyno Results)

Post by CFK »

Sorted out all my problems finally. Many Vacuum leaks throughout, cheap Ebay catch cans and some of my Ghetto Fab :oops:

Also the car died on me cause the Brand new Walbro fuel pump sh!t the due to the fact the in-tank filter that came with it disintigrated and got sucked up inside it and seized the pump :!: :smt013

Feels AMAZING now. pulls hard and holds boost at 16 with no stuttering whatsoever :-D Unless I take a right corner hard, then the it just skips a few beats.

Think im gonna fill the tank with that fuel cell foam to prevent it from sloshing around.

Replaced my old Silencer delete piece with a proper unit, welded muffler pipe with steel half coupling , threaded 90's and Barbed fittings :

Upgraded to a Forge 007 Diverter, so I made both sides 1" barbed fittings :

Attempted to install the Z32 Nissan 300ZX Turbo brakes on the front, but because of my 3-piece 16"s, they wouldn't fit even with a 12mm Spacer. To Bad :smt010

So this set-up should be in the Classifieds soon. Remanufactured calipers, KNS Brake Adapters, 316x30mm rotors :

Changed out the studs using a Ball Joint Puller :

Still Kickin Up Dust on Summers :!:

Next day it Snowed :shock:

Time to Get it Back on the Dyno :!:
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily