CFK's 92 SS Daily/Project (Video & Pics added Mar/31)

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

CFK
Second Gear

CFK's 92 SS Daily/Project (Video & Pics added Mar/31)

Post by CFK »

Hi, I Purchased this severely weathered whinestone 92 SS 5MT in october ( 2010 ) and with the guidance of Legacy Central have been nursing him back to health, and he will return stronger than ever.

The original plan was just to buy an AWD winter beater/daily driver so I didn't have to rely on my work truck or wife's car while I built my 84 Jetta GLI Coupe. The " Budget " was supposed to be $2000 inc. any repairs that needed to make it roadworthy. Since I had limited myself to AWD, there was only about 4 cars that applied in my search, any of which were gonna be tough to find for that cheap. I really wanted a Audi Coupe Quattro since I already own a B5 A4 Avant and the Jetta . Of coarse my other option being a Legacy which I had already previously owned a pearl white 90 5MT SDN. Sadly it met it's demise when a Eagle Talon had ran a red light T-boning me at about 90 km/h. I was not wearing my seat belt therefore I stood still and the car moved it's windsheild into my skull :smt010

So after some CL searching I found a mint 92 4EAT SS for $1200, unfortunately on my way out to look at it the first person to see it immediately purchased it :( . After another few weeks of searching I found a very rough 92 5MT SS that the owner had listed for $1800 leaking water through the sunroof a litres of oil onto the manifold, CEL's, flickering oil light and rust, dents and flaking clearcoat on the body. I had to have it !!! Both he and I knew the rarity of the 5MT SS and I just can't say no, so we settled on $1200 (probably still to much, but I don't care)

Before :

After :

Current Mod List ( Mar/16/2012 )

Modifications:

Engine

- EJ22T (240 000 Kms)
- RobTune ECU
- TD05-16G
- JDM Greytop 440cc's
- Delta 230 Cams
- Ceramic Coated Exhaust
- 07 WRX TMIC W/ Disected Perrin Y-Pipe
- De-Snorkeled, K&N, Turbo Silencer Delete
- Winton Motors BOV Adapter
- 2 Shiney Ebay Catch Cans
- 3" TBE. Megan DP, Custom No-Cat Mid & Sheep Dog Muffler
- Hallman Pro MBC
- Innovate LC-1 WB Controller
- Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
- Forge 007 Diverter Valve

Chassis

- 05 STI Suspension (Modified to fit)
- 3.90 R160 LSD W/ TIC Bushings
- TWM Performance Short Throw Shifter
- STI Short Shift Kit W/ Kartboy Bushings
- Group N Motor Tranny & Pitch Mounts
- Prodrive Pero-R 17x7 Wheels
- Simmons FR90 16x7.5 3-piece Wheels
- Whiteline F&R 22MM Sway Bars
- JDM Steel 4-Pots

Exterior
- De-Rusted
- Nissan Moss Green ( SOON )
- 07 S206 V-Limited F. Lip ( After Paint )
- Projector Fogs W/ 3000K HID ( After Paint )
Interior

- Recaro Trophy Seats
- Sti Aluminum Shift Bezel
- STI Titanium Shift Knob
- Momo 280mm Team S. Wheel.
- Podi Boost Gauge
- Innovate Oil Pressure / Temp Gauge

So I then replaced the TB,WP, Cam,crank/oil pump & VC seals. Dissasembled,cleaned & tightened the screws on the oil pump. Did the idler & tensioner bearings. Tune-up & all fluids changed. Cleaned the IAC & TB. Installed a 07 WRX TMIC, MBC, Boost Gauge, re-piped the PCV system W/ 2- Catch can's, Snorkel & silencer delete W/ K&N.

Then onto some 05 STI Suspension

Slight Drop

Stripped the interior, dropped the headliner and sunroof assembly to re-seal. Shampooed nasty interior.

Found a custom 3" Rocket Rally exhaust off Patrick Richards street car, ordered a DP and then decided I might as well throw a TD04 on while im there, so I got one as well as a Perrin silicone Y-pipe & Tight radius 90 to replace my cheap E-bay Y-pipe & copper piping.

So that's my progress thus far. After I recover from my hernia surgery I will be installing the new Y-pipe, TD04, DP, HF Cat W/ Flex joint + Exhaust. FCD, Innovative LC-1 Wideband gauge. Walbro 255.

I also have new headlights and tailights to restore, new front and bumper and a 2.5 RS Hoodscoop to add as I fix the bodywork and proceed to cover it all in Satin Tank Green :twisted:

Hope you enjoy and I thank everybody on this site for answering all my :?: 's and just being such a spectacular forum :smt038
Last edited by CFK on Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:01 am, edited 14 times in total.
Build Thread : HERE
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily
84 Jetta Coupe. Real Project
99 A4 Avant. Wife's Daily
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Re: CFK's 92 SS Daily/Project

Post by Florin1 »

Great job man! I like a motivated guy. ;) Nice job on the pix too...
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
L-Tuned BD
First Gear

Post by L-Tuned BD »

Amazing progress so far! How do you like the STi suspension? I was thinking of doing the same. I've heard it rides pretty firm.
'95 Legacy BK - L - Original Owner - Heritage Rebuild
'93 Legacy BC - SS Sold
'91 Legacy BC - LSi sold
'95 Legacy BD - L Sold
'09 Legacy 3.0R - Sold
CFK
Second Gear

Post by CFK »

Thanks for the comments guys (2 :lol: )

I think the STI susp. is great, lowered it quite a bit a defintely firmed it up considering I have no strut or anti-Sway bars and all my bushings are completely thrashed. Probably should have been my first mods before adding any more power :roll:

Im dying to get it finished since he has not been insured since I bought it. My hernia surgery has put a big hault in progress and am going stir crazy just after 1 & a 1/2 weeks. A few more wrecker runs and I should have evrything I need which is good cause I never should have thrown half the $ I did into her and am honestly regretting that at the moment since my funds have dwindled and it's still sitting there. Luckily I know that feeling will instantly dissapear the moment I get him all finished and finally get to drive it.

Think I might have to just drink away the pain by myself :cry:
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily
93legacylsleeper
Second Gear

Post by 93legacylsleeper »

Can't wait to see some pics of the car in Tank Green i've been thinking about a satin military green for my car too. Good build so far!!!
CFK
Second Gear

Post by CFK »

Ok, A month & a 1/2 later and my Hernia is still where it should be. 2 weeks after surgery I was in the kitchen baking headlights and doing the little things just to keep me motivated.

Most of my time has been spent on the internet researching & purchasing things I couldn't afford. After doing some general calculations and realizing I have spent 3X what I wanted to on this "daily driver". I threw caution to the wind and spent all my disability checks & imaginary $ that I will later have to pay ( Visa ) :-D

Started with the Heads, tails & corners.

Haven;t even got it on the road yet and im already changing things I previously did. Installed a TD04, Perrin Y-pipe, Migged in some galvanized fittings in the CC mod for the Catch can's, Megan Bellmouth DP & Custom Rocket Rally Exhaust which I fabbed up a test pipe and a temp Cat for emissions.

Installed my FCD, Hallman Pro RX MBC, FCD, Interga Pillar pod W/ Innovative LC-1 WB gauge & boost gauge.
(Need a steering wheel BAD, JDM Momo, Nardi or a silver one to match the Titanium STI accessories perhaps)

Installed a STI shifter trim ring/boot and will be installing this 06-07 WRX TWM short shifter with all new Kartboy bushings & Titanium knob.

Also Installed a Walbro 255. Have some JDM 440cc's that I will send out to get cleaned & flowed, order the spacers and Install a Jecs MAF, Robtune ECU down the road. Also got a GC8 JDM STI Carbon Fiber Upper Strut bar, might hit the TMIC though. Hopefully I can make it work.

Left the engine alone and started tearing into the much needed bodywork.

Because Im an extremely impatient impulse buyer who searches NASIOC & craigslist 3X's a day I purchased these wheels that are to large and wished I just waited/saved for some proper 17x7's :roll:
5Zigen Pro N1 18x8 ET45 W/ Falken ZE512 225/40/18's

Purchased all the bodywork supplies including paint. Sh!t ain't cheap, probably spent about $1100 including a $100 in tools. Orignally I wanted to do a Satin Military green/ Olive Drab but strict new laws prevented me from buying a good single stage satin industrial coating for cheap so I went with the PPG Omni line which is a little more economical in the base/clear department. The colour I chose is Nissan Moss Grean off a 08 Cube, Military green with pearl, I drove by one on the way to the paint store and quite liked it. I call it fait.

Bunch-A-Bodywork-To-Do, I get sidetracked easily :smt117

My Tortoise is hyped and so am I !!!
Last edited by CFK on Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily
cartwheels
Second Gear

Post by cartwheels »

I can always trade you my 17x7 5zigen Heidfelds... (seriously, I would).

Nice progress so far... can't wait to see where this project goes. For a "daily" you're putting some serious work into the car. I like it!

There's a 92 at a yard near my house with a very decent condition steering wheel. Want me to pull it for you? If the car is still there next week I wouldn't mind heading by and grabbing it.
1994 Legacy TW
1993 Geo Tracker
1991 Legacy SS (finally got one!)
CFK
Second Gear

Post by CFK »

HHmmm, I would trade to. Since mesh wheels are my absolute favorite. To bad were so far apart and it just wouldn't be worth it. If I had coils I would just leave them, but the stance is a little monster truckish. Which is good for a subie IMO but I ain't gonna do any rallying on streched 40 series :-D

As far as the wheel goes, I appreciate the offer but since I just don't give a car anymore im gonna probably get a JDM Momo or Nardi.

Ya, my wife is REALLY ANGRY :smt093 she "let" me buy this car since she knew I couldn't be stopped :smt082
And I kinna am since i'll probably have $7K into it when im done and it won't look or feel like it. That's just the way it goes though, there is no such thing as a "Budget Build". Just wish I found a better bas to start with :(

Apparently finding a 5MT isn't the easiest though and 5 Spd swaps ain't that cheap either, nor is 6 Spd. A mint 4EAT would have been alot cheaper to swap and not bother with all the maintenance & Bodywork though I guess. Such is life, another example of me being so damn impatient. A week before buying this one I actually was trying to buy a flawless Auto SS for $1200 but my wife said it was a bad idea cause I hate Auto's, who's laughing now :lol: ..................... Neither of us I guess :smt073
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I know what you mean. I told my GF how much I spent on mine and her mouth dropped. I estimate $9K so far...into a 20 year old car that blue books at like $2,500, lol. But it sure is fun to drive in the corners.

How did you get those tail lights to look brand new like that? They look amazing.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
CFK
Second Gear

Post by CFK »

Ya, I could easily spend $3000 on Coils, sways, Endlinks & bushings :roll:

I used a headlight resto kit on the headlights, rear filler panel then just hand wet-sanded everything else till 2000, hit it with the pad & plastic polish after that. Very happy with the outcome :smt045
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Yeah they look awesome. I'll have to try that with mine. I'm thinking of hitting them with some VHT niteshades spray first to give them a bit of tint. Might wait til I can find another set to try that on. Gonna ditch the chrome trim while I'm at it. Facelift ones look soo much better, lucky.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
DevC
First Gear

Post by DevC »

kimokalihi wrote:I know what you mean. I told my GF how much I spent on mine and her mouth dropped. I estimate $9K so far...into a 20 year old car that blue books at like $2,500, lol. But it sure is fun to drive in the corners.

How did you get those tail lights to look brand new like that? They look amazing.
It's an investment towards your sanity
93 Turbo Wagon, 5mt swap, vlsd, sti slanty, vf10, alk, subframe lockout, gr2's, sti sways.
96 F-350 CCLB Powerstroke
89 Volvo 244, lsx swap
darkcrave
Second Gear

Post by darkcrave »

Nice! Impulsive buyers FTW
Tune
TMIC
Fuel
Taillight
n2x4 wrote: Seriously, anything will fit. Subarus are LEGOs.
CFK
Second Gear

Post by CFK »

6 month's later update !!!!!! FML , Been exactly a year since I bought this for a Winter beater and im still not done :smt010

Well after I mangled the hood a few months ago and had a real tough time finding one , I finally got another and am ready to get back at it.

I tried some heat shrinking to get rid of the "Oil Canning", it was all going so well until I chased a low spot right across the hood line :cry: A waste of a perfectly good SS hood.

Bought a 91 Parts car, too bad the hood don't fit and most body panels are toast. Why not have a spare EJ22T, 5MT & LSD though. ( Yes it came will Penis's painted on the side and "Ball Lickers" Inscribed on the spoiler )

Since I am truly a Wheel Whore, I sold the 5 Zigen's and bought a few sets of 17x7 Speedline / Prodrive Pero- R's. Gonna sandblast and Powder coat them both with my new Eastwood HotCoat system. Sell one set.

Found these Ultra rare 3-Piece Simmons wheel's on Craigslist for $175. 16x7.5 ET49.

Only Problem is deciding which one's I run as Winter wheels ? Was thinking Simmons in the Winter with some All-Season's . Only cause there 16"s and the Pero-r's are 17" HHmmm, Decisions, Decisions.

:?: ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? :?:

I also got alot of new Tools, including:

Eastwood Dual Voltage Hotcoat Powder Coating System.

Eastwood No-Weld Patch Repair Kit.

Eastwood Butt-Weld Kit

Now all I need is the time, Energy & Motivation :-D
Last edited by CFK on Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Nice. A Lot of Nice. And the penis car...HAHAHAHA!!
luksicman1
In Neutral

Post by luksicman1 »

could you pleaseee tell me exactly how you did that hood? I'm trying to do the exact same thing... and have been looking at different ways to go about it and I've decided that your is definitely the cleanest looking way I've seen so far, and looks like it will be super flush and amazing after you paint it and won't have any cracks later on or anything exactly what I wanted ahah, so please tell me what you did exactly? I can tell that you got an impreza rs hood and took the whole scoop part out and then welded it into the legacy hood, then from there I get confused though, how exactly did you cover in the in between part on the top there to make it super flush like you did? was that using that welding kit you bought? pm me please and any details you could divulge would be amazing.. awesome project, I"m loving what you're doin so far, I want to go the full sti suspension route eventually but for now i'll stick with my new kyb agx's that came with car and maybe just sti springs.. I like the slight lowering it gives it, not too much, I think 22 mm which is about a half in..keep up the amazing work that gives me tons of inspiration.. just wish I had the money for more parts on my tiny college income, or the tools! I could do anything If I had the tools you have, and that fancy new tool box haha! props..
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Paragraphs...and periods....and proper punctuation...head hurts from wall of text...
CFK
Second Gear

Post by CFK »

No Doubt :smt073

Sorry about the late response, working graveyards and just got back from Jamaica.

I actually overheated and warped the hood by welding it in. Then I tried to fix the warpage/ oil canning by using a method called " heatshrinking " . It didn't work as I ended up chasing the low spot right over the hood line, therefore completely ruining the hood :smt022

I haven't been able to find another GC 2.5 RS hood so I will probably be using a BD Legacy GT scoop instead for round 2 . In the meanwhile I will probably just fill the existing hood and just prime it, so at least I can get the thing painted and on the road.

Like So:

I like the clean flush look, but I don't think the scoop opening is as wide . Im undecided, all I know is that there is a guy in the neighborhood that has a GT Scoop and is cheaper than the $150 that the local wrecker wants for a damaged 2.5 RS Scoop :roll:
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily
CFK
Second Gear

Post by CFK »

Oh Ya, I decided that I will be running the Speedline's as winter's and the Simmons as Summer's. I would rather have 17"s as Summer's , but I think that running 3-Piece wheels as winter's is absolutely Retarded !!! Especially since there at the Refinishers getting Straightened and polished lips :-D

Like So ( but Gold centers and smaller lips ):

Gold with Green will be best:

I Think that makes sense anway :smt045
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily
turbo_meow
First Gear

Post by turbo_meow »

that is looking sexy lol
fmic,td04,wideband,3" turbo back exhaust,fuel cut off defence,walbro 255,hks super bov,stock ej22t with 34000 miles all orig.
www.myspace.com/legacyturbo303
www.facebook.com/FrankJoshuaGrasmugg
CFK
Second Gear

Post by CFK »

Alright, Finally back at it. Was pretty discouraged after the last hood. Finally Found another 2 hoods to try it again. Got a V1 STI Aluminum hood, free with the purchase of a JDM TD05-16G & Slanty TMIC !!!

But First I Re-modeled the Garage ( Again :-D ) . New 10' Stainless Bench with built in Sink that will be a solvent tank eventually. New Toolbox & a new 5HP 2-Stage Compressor. Got rid of my 2- 3HP 60 Gallon Speedaire's. 21 CFM @ 90PSI & 120 Gallons was nice, but 17.8 @ 175PSI will do :-)

Kicked the Jetta back outside to get the Legacy situated nicely.

Ok , Back to the Legacy. Started on another hood, it got damaged ( Don't wanna talk about it :smt013 )

The Bottom:

Filled the top:

The Eastwood No-Weld Kit is awesome , an Air Nibbler & Flanger is Top Notch. Ultimately it was way to much work, I don't think it was worth it , kinna wish I just got the biggest STI Scoop I could find to make it worth while. Next time , if there was a next time . I would just rivet it on and piece together a body kit and rivet that B!tch on there . Bosozoku Style Boyaaa !!!

Also Got some Wedge Engineering Brackets for my Recaro Trophy's . There just sitting in my Jetta rotting away, if it takes me a year an a half to build a "winter beater" , it's gonna be a while till I get the Jetta done :roll:

Back to the body.

Lots of sanding to do, gonna build a booth this weekend I hope. Can't wait to get this thing painted !!!

Then Im gonna re-finish the Simmons 3_piece wheels, Got them straightened , but the shop could get them apart to polish the lips. Retarded special 13 10-Point Socket that they won't sell !!!!

Im gonna get an oven to cure the Powdercoat for the centers and the 2 sets of Prodrive Pero-R's. Hopefully the next update will at least be a primed car ( Soon ) :smt022
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Nice work on the hood man! I bought an outback a while ago that came with those Trophys. Real nice seats but I like my GC wrx seats better, so the recaros got traded off :)
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

CFK wrote:The Eastwood No-Weld Kit is awesome , an Air Nibbler & Flanger is Top Notch. Ultimately it was way to much work, I don't think it was worth it , kinna wish I just got the biggest STI Scoop I could find to make it worth while.
Nice garage!

So was the piece that the scoop bolted onto riveted into the hood, or were those holes filled with weld?

Excellent work! The hood looks great.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
nosyt
Second Gear

Post by nosyt »

got to love the full build thread on the daily driver looks great man

i too just picked up a LGT hood from pick and pull that im going to start the hood scoop swap as soon as my motor gets back in the car .

if this thing is on the road for may sixth you should come up for our local cruise
last one we had was 100+ cars cruising from kelowna to salmon arm and back
this year we already have 164 people confirmed on going
http://www.facebook.com/events/298320233560849/
CFK
Second Gear

Post by CFK »

Legacy777 wrote:
Nice garage!

So was the piece that the scoop bolted onto riveted into the hood, or were those holes filled with weld?

Excellent work! The hood looks great.
Thanks, It uses a panel adhesive with countersunk rivets . It was hard to get all those rivets in before the adhesive dried.
nosyt wrote:got to love the full build thread on the daily driver looks great man

i too just picked up a LGT hood from pick and pull that im going to start the hood scoop swap as soon as my motor gets back in the car .

if this thing is on the road for may sixth you should come up for our local cruise
last one we had was 100+ cars cruising from kelowna to salmon arm and back
this year we already have 164 people confirmed on going
http://www.facebook.com/events/298320233560849/
Should pick up that eastwood kit then, You definitely need a pneumonic Air nibbler , best tool ever. The pneumonic flange punch tool was great too. Could just buy the adhesive and cleco clamps / pliers seperate. Eastwood has some good sales usually.

May 6th gives a solid date to have it all sorted out, I would love to cruise up there. Parents have a cabin at Shuswap and got lots of cousin's in Salmon Arm too. Hope I can make it !!!
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily