CFK's 92 SS Daily/Project (Video & Pics added Mar/31)

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

CFK
Second Gear

Re: CFK's 92 SS Daily/Project (Updated Dec 17, More Pics)

Post by CFK »

Got some better #'s , Regardless. The Car feels Awesome :!:

Very happy with that considering there all used stock components, minus the RobTune of coarse :!:
Build Thread : HERE
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily
84 Jetta Coupe. Real Project
99 A4 Avant. Wife's Daily
CFK
Second Gear

Re: CFK's 92 SS Daily/Project (Updated Dec 17, More Pics)

Post by CFK »

Got the WRX 4 Pots since the Nissan Z32 ones didn't fit

Got some Refurbed Rears, Brembo Blanks.

On the Dyno

Dogs Feelin the HP :!:

Dirty New Wheels :-D

Hopefully some GoPro action to follow :!:
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily
CAV3MAN227
Third Gear

Re: CFK's 92 SS Daily/Project (Updated Jan 13, Dyno & More P

Post by CAV3MAN227 »

-DOGGIES!!! I love this car. Great job on it.

-Joe
-I'd rather loose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch cause someone else built it for me. Your car, is your story, so don't let someone else write the book. ~Moog
CFK
Second Gear

Post by CFK »

Thanks Man, super stoked to be finally enjoying it !

Just a few last things on it to do.

- Fuel Slosh box mod
- install Primitive Racing "Ultra Armor " Skid Plates
- Innovate Motorsports Dual Oil Pressure / Temp Guage
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily
CFK
Second Gear

Post by CFK »

Installed the slosh box last night using a 32oz Sulivan RC tank. Very very tight fit, both in the top hole and bottom little pan, I had to force it right down into it and could barely get the nuts on.

Also the filter bag sat on the base of the RC tank. Not sure if my holes were to big or located in the wrong place or what ?

Pretty disappointed , might try again with a 26oz tank or find the STI slosh box. Really don't wanna have to install a second pump on the drivers side.

Or I join NASCAR, not to sure yet ?

Hard to explain, pics to follow
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily
CFK
Second Gear

Re: CFK's 92 SS Daily/Project (Updated Feb 6, Dyno & More Pi

Post by CFK »

Mounted Primitive SkidPlate. 2 rear ones almost lined up, bored out the slots and spacers. Drilled new holes right through the rad support for the front 2

Painted my Entire Roof Rack Flat Olive Drab

Searching for Gravel Roads

Last edited by CFK on Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily
ScottyS
Second Gear

Post by ScottyS »

Great pictures.
1991 SS build thread: http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=40430
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Car looks great and I love the shoes.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
CFK
Second Gear

Post by CFK »

Thanks Guys. It's So Awesome finally actually Enjoying it :!:

Just snuck another 2 pics in there as you were commenting :-D
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily
CAV3MAN227
Third Gear

Post by CAV3MAN227 »

-I love it. Moar pics!

-Joe
-I'd rather loose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch cause someone else built it for me. Your car, is your story, so don't let someone else write the book. ~Moog
CFK
Second Gear

Post by CFK »

OK, another Tragic incident. The oil seals on the Turbo blew on a road trip, thick Blue smoke and went through 4 litres to make it to my destination. 500 Km tow later it was home.

Removed the Turbo, sent it to a Rebuild shop that my buddies shop recommended, read good reviews online as well. He informed me that it was the seals that were dried up and shot out all the oil out the exhaust.

It cost me $670 to rebuild, they honed it out for an oversized bearing, made sure it was balanced, re-assembled it. The Cartridge was ok. I thought the price was a bit high since the other shop said it would be around $700 if they had to replace the cartridge. But it looked like a brand new turbo, so I was happy, until..............

Installed the turbo, did an oil change. primed it. Fired it up, warmed it up. Took it for a spin and the car made NO BOOST :!: and a terrible noise. Re-checked everything, was ok. Had my Mechanic buddy come over and he said it was definitely a Turbo noise. Ripped it back off, found that there was extreme shaft play and that the wheels were destroyed after hitting the turbine and compressor housings :(

Brought it back there and there were instantly on the defence , asking if I had removed the oil screen or check valve. Also saying they wouldn't warranty it cause I had a cap on the compressor side and had raised the boost pressure. They dissasembled it and said that it was oil starved and they said it was my fault :!: :smt011

I then informed them that there was no oil screen or check valve, I have a oil gauge with plenty of pressure and have only raised the boost a few PSI.

I also asked how the old turbo had not been damaged if there was indeed an oiling issue. Keep in mind I drove 200 Kms with oil shooting out the exhaust and there was no damage to the turbo. Nothing changes and the new one blows up in 30 seconds :!: :?: :!:

I really don't think this is my fault and am obviously very angry :smt010 They rebuilt it again and want $350, so I guess all I can do is pay them and slander there name all across the Internet !

Considering getting a fitting and checking oil pressure out the side of the head.

Also wondering if anybody knows the hole sizes in the banjo bolt of a TD05-16G :?:

Any help would be much appreciated , thanks for listening
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Well that sucks!!

I did absolutely nothing different to the oil line going to my TD05 from the stock VF11 line. I don't believe there was any additional/external screen or otherwise. I just bolted the line on and replaced the copper o-rings.

Are you using the stock hard line feeding the turbo from the head?

When you spun the turbo by hand before you installed did it spin freely or did it feel stiff?

You may want to pull the injectors and plug wires and crank the engine over a bit to try and build oil pressure to supply the turbo before start up. That and/or use a plunger or something similar to feed oil in the turbo bearing cartridge before installation so there's something there.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
ScottyS
Second Gear

Post by ScottyS »

Oh my gosh, what a nightmare. Sounds like they make a mistake or worse. They seriously should rebuild it on their dime, as they already charged you huge dollars to do a FULL rebuild. That is on them unless you took a hammer to the shaft before you reinstalled. Maybe the cartridge was not really OK and they just cheapened out on you? Sounds a bit shady to me.

If you are really concerned with the oil feed or similar, throw a TD04 or something else temporarily in line and see how it does. If you slap a temporary turbo on there and it runs fine for 100 miles, there is no way they can deny that they messed up.

This is actually the primary reason why I sold the Vf43 that I was planning on running and just stayed with the TD04. Turbos are a dime a dozen and the car is still plenty fun.
1991 SS build thread: http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=40430
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

I have had a new turbo go out on me after 21 miles due to a clogged banjo bolt.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
CFK
Second Gear

Post by CFK »

Ya , I think I had switched the hard line from the VF11 to the TD04, then the TD05. The banjo bolt on the motor side has quite a large hole and is clear. I had left the hard line attached to the turbo when they rebuilt it. So I would have assumed they had disassembled and cleaned it with everything else, but who knows. They even painted it and put new gaskets on it, so I did not remove it .

Ya I spun it by hand before and after the rebuild and it felt solid. I had also cranked it over 3 separate times for a total of 30 seconds and thought that would be plenty.

I was actually considering running the TD04 temporary cause it's a much cheaper option. I'm just so sick of working on it and want to enjoy it ! But I'm actually getting very fast at motor, tranny, and turbo swaps anyway lol

I think I will just take my time and check obsolutely every possibilty out then. Probably check pressure out the side of the head first before running the turbo.

20 miles ! Wish mine lasted that long ! ;-)

I will for sure be pulling that and checking the banjo bolt. I'm almost tempted to move my oil pressure/ temp gauge and have it read off the oil feed line instead of the turbo !

Thanks for the help guys and I'll let ya know what I find after I pick it up and hopefully get it installed by the weekend
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

I was pissed one lasted 21 miles..... I know the feeling...
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

Sorry to hear about what happened. Did I say I love your car? I love your car! I love those speedlines!
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

Oh and I want that skid plate
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
CFK
Second Gear

Post by CFK »

Thanks, At least somebody loves it !

Ah I do to, just very frustrated . It was a used turbo. So that was fine. Then after researching the Blouch & Kinugawa turbos. They didn't have a 90 inlet and was a few hundred more. That's why I decided to get it rebuilt.

They I researched rebuilders. Was gonna take it to a reputable place that was closer called ADP. They even quoted me a cheaper price. But my buddy who works at an awesome shop ( Blitzkrieg Autowerks ) who specialize in Porsche, always use them, have never had a problem , and had just called about getting his rebuilt for around the same price the first place quoted . That's why I decided to go with them.

I have told them the story , and there choked they even recommended them and will not be using them in the future. Providing it really is there fault , which the evidence is quite clear IMO . So they potentially lost a lot of business. But of coarse at my expense. :smt089
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily
keatsdude
In Neutral

Post by keatsdude »

Beautiful car man! That color is awesome. I wish I wouldn't have seen that skidplate though, I've been wanting one for a while....and now I have to order one up today!!!

Take care,

Keats
CFK
Second Gear

Post by CFK »

Thanks man , you should. There very nice ! Just be warned that the holes didn't line up perfect. I had to take a die grinder with and aluminum bit and bore the rear holes up. I could measure up where they mount and tell you the dimensions. So when you order it you could ask for them to be positioned properly

I got everything buttoned back up last night; besides oil over everything and it was smokin quite a bit , everything seems solid , but only time will tell !...........
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily
keatsdude
In Neutral

Post by keatsdude »

Hey man, that would be awesome if you could grab the skidplate dimensions for me! How did you mount up to the radiator support? Put a small weld on a nut after you drilled the hole??

Anyway, if you can get me dimensions I'll go ahead and order one up!

Thanks,

Keats
CFK
Second Gear

Post by CFK »

Are you ordering one from primitive ? You just want the 2 that bolt to the sub-frame then ?

For the front mounts I just used there existing holes in the plate and drilled through the rad support . They was threaded inserts in our rad supports, but they didn't line up with any of there holes and my support was smashed in , so I couldn't tell you what a stock legacy would be :(

If you have KiK on your smartphone just message me . Username : CarrotFaceKilla :-D

Then I could snap some pics so you know what I'm referring to
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily
CFK
Second Gear

Re: CFK's 92 SS Daily/Project(HELP,wifes gonna buy a MITSUBI

Post by CFK »

Ok, Been running good for awhile now ....... Until ........ The car started studdering , Stumbling , misfiring, sounding like its running on 3 cylinders. After 20-30 minutes of driving. No CEL's, smells rich.

Checked the plugs , OK , put new ones in. The Car has brand new MSD Coilpack & 8.5mm wires.

Yesterday I found that one of the wires on the coilpack had a bad connection and the brass was blackened from electrical arcing, cleaned all 4 , squished the wire clasps tighter and re-fastened. Took for a hard boot around for 10 min, no problems.

Then the wife drives the car to school and 20 minutes later it starts studdering again. After school it drove fine, 15 minutes later, same thing :!:

Ohmed out the wires, all within 10 Ohms of each other. 681-691 Ohms. Checked the Primary coil, got 0.2 Ohms between 1-2 & 2-3. 0.7 Ohms between 1-3. Couldn't get anything on the Secondary coils as my meter must not be suitible for it :?:

I dunno, the wifes audi just got a huge spike through the bald winter tire and her summer wheels have a crack in one. If I don't get this fixed quick she wants to take both vehicles off the road and running to MITSUBISHI TO BUY AN RVR :smt022

:smt100
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily
CFK
Second Gear

Post by CFK »

Oh Also, I did a D-Check and after a min of driving the CEL comes one , left it running , tried to read the code but it flickers much faster than in the U-Check mode. I thought it read 43, but there's no such thing. So I assume its 44 - MAP Sensor

It has RobTune , so I'm not sure if the fast flashing light is an ECU issue or what. But when I shut the car down , disconnect the D-Check , connect the U-Check. No Codes are present :smt120
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily