First Gear

Re: Xise's 1993 Legacy Turbo

Post by thenicky0 »

Do you have the diagrams/pinouts?
xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

I had them on paper a while ago and traced out the wires I needed with a highlighter. I am sure someone here could get you an ss wiring diagram, and you need to know the exact model the tank came from for the fuel pump/sending unit pinout.
2004 Impreza 2.5RS Fränkenpreza Daily Driver
1993 Legacy Sport: Sedan Sex Panther-R.I.P. @ the boneyard
1991 Legacy L Wagon: Sex Panther II
2005 Outback XT Turbo grocery-getter Wife's Daily Driver
xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

So now I am only boosting to 5psi? Like it is in limp mode for some reason.....checked the vacuum lines from the wastegate and the BCS, nothing looks to be broken/leaking but I replaced the actuator line anyway and no dice. Not sure what would cause it to just not boost fully anymore, does the ECU have a routine it goes into when it detects knock or something? If so it is stuck, I already tried to reset the ECU via pulling fuse 14 and same thing, only 5 psi.

On another, I assume, unrelated issue whenever I give it gas now it wants to stall and die, I am guessing that would be my FPR crapping out on me, I haven't pulled the vac line off to check for liquid fuel in the line yet though. Anything else that might cause that issue?
thenicky0
First Gear

Post by thenicky0 »

Not sure, but here's a bump hoping you get it sorted out. You have been a tremendous help. I'm currently, working on my wiring. Good luck to the both of us lol
xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

good luck, remember wen you are wiring the sending unit it has to go through BOTH resistors or it will read 1/2 full on an almost empty tank...made me think I was getting tremendously awesome gas mileage when I went to NH lol.
thenicky0
First Gear

Post by thenicky0 »

xise wrote:good luck, remember wen you are wiring the sending unit it has to go through BOTH resistors or it will read 1/2 full on an almost empty tank...made me think I was getting tremendously awesome gas mileage when I went to NH lol.
Thanks man. Wiring is quite frustrating. I have the diagrams for the 2002 WRX and the 1992 Legacy. I have the WRX tank with the WRX fuel pump and sender using the Legacy AWD harness on it. I'm going dizzy looking at these diagrams. I will paypal you $20 (or anyone else for that matter) that can make sense of this diagram and instruct me as to which wires have to be moved where lol

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

xise wrote:On another, I assume, unrelated issue whenever I give it gas now it wants to stall and die

I'd bet the two issues are related. I'm not sure what the problem is, but vary rarely do two separate issues happen at the same time and be unrelated.

Have you checked for any codes in the ECU?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

thenicky0 wrote:Thanks man. Wiring is quite frustrating. I have the diagrams for the 2002 WRX and the 1992 Legacy. I have the WRX tank with the WRX fuel pump and sender using the Legacy AWD harness on it. I'm going dizzy looking at these diagrams. I will paypal you $20 (or anyone else for that matter) that can make sense of this diagram and instruct me as to which wires have to be moved where lol
Ok so essentially the connectors themselves are all the same and they fit, the problem is the pins are in the wrong location. So what you need to do is simply de-pin a few of the pins and move the wires to correspond with the WRX fuel pump. There will be one wire that will not be used, and it does not create any issues.

#1The wire in pin 2 of the legacy harness labeled "thermistor" will not be used so you can de-pin that wire and move it to a blank spot on the connector. We will need pin 2 for the main fuel sender.

#2 De-pin pin #5 on the legacy harness and move that wire to pin #2 where we removed the thermistor wire. and move that wire to another blank spot on the connector.

And that is it! I had to do this twice because the first time I tried to do it without the diagrams and missed a fuel sender. I am not sure what the ECU uses that thermistor for but I haven't had any adverse effects from having mine hooked to a blank spot so you should be fine.

Might also want to check the fuel pump diagrams side by side, but I am almost positive those were in the same position. Hope that helps :D
Legacy777 wrote: I'd bet the two issues are related. I'm not sure what the problem is, but vary rarely do two separate issues happen at the same time and be unrelated.

Have you checked for any codes in the ECU?
Well the 5psi thing happened first and then the stalling issue later on. The stalling was my pressure exchange solenoid (red one with the black nub) had the vac hose disconnected. Still only 5psi though....
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Have you checked the ECU for codes and tried the active diagnostic with just the green connectors?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

I have done it in the past prior to this issue and had a code for the BCS, which still exists and I just plumbed in my own Electronic BCS and left the original in it's connector. I haven't checked since though and have been meaning to, I will report what I find when I have time.
thenicky0
First Gear

Post by thenicky0 »

So I followed Josh's advice as per the following:
Legacy777 wrote:So here's the skinny. The low fuel light on our Legacies uses a separate sensor, which is why the 92 diagram shows three wires going to the "fuel gauge unit". Pin 2 of the R75 connector is for the low fuel light sensor. Pin 3 of the R75 connector is related to the actual fuel gauge and comes from the sub unit, and pin 5 of the R75 connector completes the circuit and goes to the dash.

On the WRX, connector R58 is the same as connector R75 on the Legacy. On connector R58, pin 3 serves the same function as pin 3 on the R75 connector. However, pin 2 on the R58 connector is different than pin 2 on the R75 connector. Pin 2 on the R58 connector completes the circuit and goes back to the dash, while pin 2 on the R75 connector is for the low fuel warning light.

To make your fuel gauge work what I recommend doing is swapping wires around on the connector under the rear seat, and not the connector that plugs into the fuel tank. Swap pins 4 and 5 of the R9 connector. Pin 4 the wire color is red with a white stripe, and pin 5 is a black wire. That should work. You won't have a low fuel warning light.
After switching pins and 4 and 5 on the female side of the connector under the rear seat it appears I have a fully functioning fuel gauge. I will update you as I drive the car more and more, but as of now, I just wanna extend my thanks to you and Josh for all of your help :)
yazmo
Third Gear

Post by yazmo »

love this to be continue?
xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

Yeah...about that.....

Car got tboned, police cited us for an illegal turn even though it is perfectly legal to turn left on this 2 laned road, my wife paid the fine ven though I told her to take it to court...so that is an admission of guilt. At least according to the insurance company so we are getting fuckall for insurance money.

The rocker panel is a bit tweaked, the door pillar got pushed into the seat to the point where you can't slide the seat all the way back, so probably not longed for the road anymore. My new plan is to throw a couple doors on it from a junkyard legacy that the yard across from my work has, use the ramp truck's winch to pull the pillar as straight as can be, weld a cage in it, fix the floor pans and turn it into a track/drift car.

in the mean time I got this to replace Sex Panther as my wife's DD

it is pretty much rust free, it is from Topeka Kansas so it is pretty clean. My wife decided she wants to name it Artemis. It is a 91 Legacy wagon with 165k on it, needs a ton of work, but it is cheap and non rusty so it is a winner
killajamal
First Gear

Post by killajamal »

That sucks about the fine. I've learned to just call my attorney, pay 500-600 bucks and have him wipe it in court for me(kiss some butt.) A little more money up front but worth it down the road because my premium doesn't increase. Also I'd actually rather give my money to an attorney than to the govt.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

That sucks! Sorry to hear about the t-bone and subsequent fine & insurance BS.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

Yeah next time I am going the legal route, this is the second time we got hose for an accident that wasn't out fault, at least less than 50% which is what matters...

Never fear though, Sex Panther is still alive, drives straight as an arrow still, just got bent up a bit but I can fix it enough to be a track car. Probably going to swap the 22T into the wagon though not sure yet... Going to do a full teardown soon and see how bad the body really is. This way I can do tue head gasket and put 25d heads on it while the motor is out. Not sure of o should tear the block down and go forged guts or just run the stock rotating bits..any options though.

Looks like the STi package I was dreaming up for this legacy is out though
xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

So the new Legacy is insured and getting registered, my wife named it Artemis after some cat from sailor moon...apparently it is white....whatev...lol

Anyway some donor parts are being pilfered from Sex Panther, but after that I can really do whatever I want with it, my plan is to strip it down to basically bare shell and see if it is salvageable to turn into a track car or even just get it patched up and make it a winter beater. Not sure if it will ever be a DD again, but it will live one, nothing can kill the Sex Panther!!

I'll document the teardown, just need to find space to do it, going to pull the following for the wife's car:

-All 4 struts
-steering rack and bushings
-16" snowflake wheels

maybe somes odds and ends too, not sure what the plan is for the new car yet, might throw the turbo heads and vf11 on the new legacy and use some pipes I designed to use a turbo with an NA crossmember to use the VF11 on the new legacy, if anyone out there has a white nose for a 91 ss let me know, this car's bumper and fender are all mashed up, also I need the hood for the turbo probably going to convert it over the a touring wagon and get new stuff for the Sex Panther.

If at all possible I want to fix the rust and finish the v1 STi legacy I was originally going for....except with a vf39 I have lying around.

I have access to some EJ25D heads, a VF39 a V7 TMIC and I would just need injectors and something to run it, could probably get the stock yellow 04 sti injectors and run it off of a modified 02wrx or 04 sti ecu. I'll figure that part out later . but first on the list is 2 doors and to get some struts for it......lets see I have 2 FUCKING SETS! both are fucked up in some way, but the V7 struts aren't blown I just had issues with the mounting of the rears...so ill have to figure that out.....I might just buy the 91 wagon in the junk yard across the street and cobble something together......time to go mad scientist on this bish.....it would be nice if the junkyard car was solid in the places where sex panther is rotted and I can just cut out pieces of it and weld them in....we shall see.
xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

I got to use a pretty awesome tool I never used before, porta-power. It is like a hydraulic rod that extends and can be used for various things....including frame straightening!!!!
got it pretty much where it needs to be, not 100% perfect but good enough, it looks straight and there is the same amount of space on either side so I am in...now I just need some doors and to do a bit of welding.

SEX PANTHER ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

SEX PANTHER HOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

looks like a fun tool. Glad to see you making it work
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

Lol yeah, I try...I would hate to send it to the bone yard after all the work I did resurrecting it.....the first time.... Now the decision lies in if this will be a ghetto drifter or a rally x car, decision decisions. Either way next step after doors is to rehab either the v7 sti struts or the twin coilovers.
sqc151
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by sqc151 »

glad to see the car still going. keep up the good work.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yes, Porta-power's are pretty cool :)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

Going to pull the new struts out of this one this weekend, might pull the sti links out too, was considering selling them if anyone is interested in them let me know.
xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

So seeing how the junkyard that told me to go pull the 2 doors you need off that legacy forgot they had scrapped it I am shit out of luck for now.... this is the current state of sex Panther, seeing how we had a massive blizzard and the snow is nearly up to the window glass I kinda lost ambition to do any extra work on anything after a 10+ hour work day....Here is the somehwhat current state of Sex Panther, just imagine about 10 times the amount of snow and you'll be pretty close.

Will probably stay like this until I find some doors, it was kind of fun driving it around to the local junkyards trying to find doors for it lol, people got a kick out of that.....it was pretty fucking cold though!!
xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

Pulled the new struts out and put em in the wifes wagon, sadly after getting Sex panther on the lift and looking ay the floors I think it's reached its last hoorah... Huge holes everywhere from the accident and frame straightening just stressed the already weak floorpans out. I COULD fix it, but it'd be cheaper to just get s shell at this point. When I pull the motor and drive train and suspension/ other good stuff out I'll snap dome pics.

When I find the right shell be ready for Sex Panther II