Legacy777's 1990 Legacy Turbo

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Legacy777's 1990 Legacy Turbo

Post by Legacy777 »

It gets a bit warmer down here so when I wasn't running the canister I got A LOT of hissing.

The fuel cap is supposed to relieve at a certain point to prevent excess pressure build up, so I don't think there should be a problem with pressure build up.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Interestingly.....my issue may not be canister. It was again warmer yesterday but I haven't driven the car in a few days and the garage again smelled a little like fuel. I thought it was because the charcoal canister I removed and put it near the garage door was getting warm. I turned on the fan and vented the garage, but after turning the fan off I could smell fuel vapor around the filler cap. So I'm wondering if there is a line leaking or something going on there. I'll have to take a look at it when I get more time. Right now the fuel level is low on the tank so shouldn't have any liquid leaking.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I flew up to PA today for work and was driving the Legacy to the airport this morning around 5:30. The dash lights seemed kind of dim, but I didn't think much of it. I got on the freeway and then the battery light started coming on. Thankfully it was right before an off-ramp and I was able to circle back to come home. Once I hit the city streets I killed the headlights since there were street lights. A minute or so later the dash lights brightened up again. I was almost home and wasn't going to risk it, so I swapped out the Legacy for the Impreza.

I am pretty sure the issue is the alternator and I'm guessing the voltage regulator. This is one of the HO alternators from Maniac Motorsports. A buddy of mine in Atlanta has one and he's had some maintenance type items on his as well. This is the second time I've had some weird stuff happen with it. I'd have to look back and see what was done to "fix" it last time. I will probably open it up and email Maniac about it. Depending on what I find I may just find a newer WRX or STi 90 A alternator to replace this 110 A HO alternator. I don't need to be having this shit screw up at the worst possible times. Luckily I build a bit of fluff time into my travels.

I'll put the spare Legacy alternator in this weekend so I can take a look at the HO one.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Any reason for the high output alternator?
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I upgraded to it years ago for the hell of it. I had to convert to the newer style electrical connector, which wasn't a big deal. This alternator has worked ok, but has had its issues here and there. My buddy who has the same one in his 95 Legacy said the same thing.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I started tearing apart the HO alternator however have come to a road block since the stator wiring needs to be desoldered before I can remove the regulator assembly. I'm trying to find a spare to use in the mean time while I try to repair this one.

This thread goes into some more details about what I'm looking for help with.

http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewto ... 19&t=54667

And here are pictures from the tear down so far.

http://main.experiencetherave.com/subar ... torrepair/
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I ended up finding a local repair shop that replaced the failed voltage regulator and put new bearings in today. They had it done in less than two hours and it cost $59.54. I only wanted the rear bearing replaced, but they replaced both. They were Taiwan made bearings, so hopefully they will last. If not, I can replace both of them later down the line. This is the second voltage regulator I've been through with this alternator. I'm not sure why it likes eating voltage regulators, but hopefully this one will last a bit longer. It now makes 14.3 v at idle.

This was the failed voltage regulator.

http://main.experiencetherave.com/subar ... G_0319.JPG

I added a few pictures of the bearings & voltage regulator.

http://main.experiencetherave.com/subar ... atorrepair
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

Im guessing you already had the hubs off the car?
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

nevermind haha, thought you meant wheel beaing. I was like damn that's cheap.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Haha, yeah that would have been cheap for wheel bearings :)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

CFK
Second Gear

Post by CFK »

Just Re-reviewed this thread josh. Awesome work ! Those are great numbers and I feel I don’t need more than that. Great low end torque on the SOHC’s :!:

My Link G4 is on route. I ordered the XS Loom. Link 3 Bar and Bosch Fast acting IAT. Emailed the tuner my engine specs which is similar to yours besides the AWIC and 440’s. He was mentioning I should upgrade to 750cc injectors :shock: I mean, maybe the 440’s could be a touch small, but 750’s seem crazy. Maybe he thinks I’m DOHC lol. Well maybe I’ll look into doing the 550’s, if I can remember you have to change the rails though.
Build Thread : HERE
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily
84 Jetta Coupe. Real Project
99 A4 Avant. Wife's Daily
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Thanks!! I really haven't done anything too new lately on the car. My DIS-2 ignition died on me. I was having intermittent loss of power issues for a while, but since I wasn't driving the car much it was hard to nail down. I finally was able to confirm it was the DIS-2. I found a virtually new one on ebay for a good price, especially since MSD doesn't make the DIS-2 any more.

Yeah, the rails from the 92-94 non-turbo Legacy work with the 550's and are a direct bolt in.

If you have a larger turbo then going with larger injectors might not be a bad idea. You're either going to run out of air from the turbo or going to run out of fuel from the injectors. I could put larger injectors in and maybe get more power, but then my next restriction is going to be the SOHC heads. If you could find 600 or 650's and were running a similar sized turbo as me I think that'd be a good setup and still should provide decent turn down on the injectors for good low rpm performance/atomization.

Since the 550 yellow tops came on the 04-05 STi's there are probably replacement injectors out there that may be in the range I mention and would fit in the 92-94 non-turbo fuel rails.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

CFK
Second Gear

Post by CFK »

Oh wow, well that’s a bonus ! I’m running the MSD Eagle Talon / Eclipse coil pack.

And yes, I was thinking the same thing. I’m trying to hang onto the SOHC’s until she blows ! Converting to top feed is a huge deal and there’s no over the shelf options for the 22T. Was possibly thinking of sending them to WitchHunter to get them de-capped. That puts them to 820cc which is definitely Seems like overkill. I haven’t talked to anybody who’s run them.....
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I think if you remove the caps you alter the flow pattern and/or fuel atomization which may not be desirable.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

CFK
Second Gear

Post by CFK »

Ya I decided not to bother de-capping them. Would need to send at least 6 injectors for them to match. It’s $200 and they don’t ship to Canada so it would be a lot of trouble. Oh well.

Hey do you know off the top of your head if the seals are the same on the 440’s as the 550’s ? Maybe I should search your website for the part numbers since you are so damn organized :smt041
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Are you talking about the o-rings on the injectors? I don't know if they're the same or not. I think there is a 440 injector thread on here with part numbers and you can probably use one of the online subaru parts websites to find the part number for the 550's.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

CFK
Second Gear

Post by CFK »

Good call. I found the 440 thread earlier and screen shotted it. I’ll see if they match up. I always had great luck with Subarugenuineparts back in the day. Too bad they’re closed now. But I’m sure many others popped up just like it.

Thanks !
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily