Legacy777's 1990 Legacy Turbo

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Re: Legacy777's 1990 Legacy Turbo

Post by entirelyturbo »

Using Legos for an actual constructive purpose in the garage...

... you are officially my hero.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Hahaha :lol: I was waiting for someone to comment on my use of Legos. If the Legos would have had the right gearing I would have used them. It would have been sweet :)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
CFK
Second Gear

Post by CFK »

Very Impressive and detailed Build thread there Josh, the transformation is crazy. That car is polar opposite of what it once was ! So many pictures, just realized i don't think i ever went through it. It's gonna take awhile to do, but Wow. Great job :!:

Wish I started with that clean of shell. I love that Rabbit emblem to :!:
Build Thread : HERE
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily
84 Jetta Coupe. Real Project
99 A4 Avant. Wife's Daily
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Thanks! Yeah I've got a ridiculous amount of pictures I've taken over the years. It's definitely a hobby :)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Finished rewiring the guage cluster wiring in the dash. I had to repin a few pins for each connector, which included extending two of the wires from the i13 connector to the i16 connector. I also pulled the key chime off the printed circuit board and mounted it in behind the dash since the UK gauge cluster does not have the key chime in it. The dash is pretty much ready to go back in.

Here are pics
http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... spdswap/31
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I worked on the transmission connectors yesterday. I was going to use jumper harnesses that I previously made between the old AT connectors and the new connectors, however there was too much extra wiring and it was just a CF of wiring. it was preventing me from accessing the trans dipstick as well.

So what I decided to do was pull the pins out of the AT connectors that I wanted to use and insert them into the appropriate connectors I was using for the 6spd. I did this for neutral switch, reverse lights, and DCCD. Since the VSS uses a newer style connector I had to cut the old pins off and merge the old harness with the new connector. The lengths are just about right so I should be in a better shape to fit all the wiring in and still be able to access the trans dipstick.

I also depinned all the AT connectors I wasn't using, labeled them and will tape them back in case I need them for anything else in the future. I still need to do the final taping and wiring loom.....but that'll have to wait until next weekend.

Also, just for a tid bit of info, I included a picture of the factory style crimp connector between two different sized wires. It's a similar style crimp connection as is used on the connector terminals.

Here are the pics

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... spdswap/32
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

CFK
Second Gear

Post by CFK »

Lookin Good !

Hey I was wondering about your exhaust mani. Did you just cut off all your heat shields and ditch them when you had everything Ceramic coated ? Or did you have them coated and re-use them ?

I removed the cross pipe shield and was gonna cut off the up-pipe shield tonight. It appears that the only reason those things don't rattle is cause they rest on the insulation and aren't actually fastened to the cross & up-pipe. Therefore you would have to get new insulation and re-fasten it after being coated, which seems like quite a bit of overkill

I'm going to have all my stuff done locally, just the collectors, crosspipe and up-pipe. So gross how much baked oil was in there :!:
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

With a quality ceramic coating I see no reason to keep the shielding.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
CFK
Second Gear

Post by CFK »

That's what I thought, I'm sure it's no "White Lightning" though :wink:

http://www.koolcoatceramiccoatings.com/ ... tings.html

Now the trick will be keeping the oil off of it :!:
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah, I ditched all the heat shields even before I got it coated. I hate rattling exhaust piping/shields. It makes the car sound like shit.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I finished up my trans wiring and got the engine bay put back together (minus the battery). I HATE putting that damn AWIC back in!! In the past I had to put the AWIC and the TB on together and then try and fight to put the bolts on for the TB. I ended up getting the AWIC back in without taking off the TB....that saved a lot of swearing....there was still some though.

Now I just need to put the dash back in and finish up some miscellaneous wiring. It's getting close! I like how the trans wiring came out with redoing the connecters and eliminating the plug & play harness. It's a lot neater/cleaner looking!

Here are pics
http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... spdswap/33
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

Ohhhhh, your engine bay makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. I love a clean engine bay. I do love the way the AWIC looks. Can't wait to see how she drives when you get it all together. Keep up the good work.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Thanks Tony!

I hope I get time next weekend to get the dash back in.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I got the dash back in the car yesterday! I think it was easier to remove that reinstall. You need to drop the steering column down so it can fit by the windshield wiper & turn signal stalks. I got the wiring under the driver's dash cleaned up pretty well....compared to what it was.

I went from this:

to this:

I just need to finish up the stereo wiring and everything should be ready to go back together. Here are the rest of the pictures.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... spdswap/34
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

BiNiaRiS
First Gear

Post by BiNiaRiS »

What you really need is a grey/black interior swap. That tan burns my eyes!
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

It would look weird with a gray interior and a tan (sandstone) exterior. Black would look alright, but I'll never find an entire black interior in as good of shape as my tan interior....so it's staying tan :)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I've been slacking on the updates. Last weekend I got all the stereo rewiring completed and got that all finished. I also installed the gauge cluster and the seats. So it was starting to look like a car again.

This weekend I test fit the Prosport gauge hood/visor with my Autometer gauge cluster. It actually fits pretty well! Once I get it back in I'll be able to see if it gets rid of the boost gauge illumination glare on the windshield and if I like it or not.

For the heck of it I also took apart (cut open) my broken old boost gauge to see how the guts were put together. I also started on the installation of the control knobs/buttons for the DCCDPro controller. I've got the auto/manual button installed, and am still working on building the bracket for the % lock knob. The bracket will have an outer and inner bracket that will allow me to adjust the height of the knob.

With the push lock potentiometer, it only moves the knob up about 1/2", which isn't a lot to grab onto, so I will probably have the knob stick above the surface just a little bit. Once I get it installed I'll play with it and see how it looks and works both ways (flush mount and raised up slightly).

Also, during my testing I discovered the DCCDPro controller was setup for the newer style TPS voltage. This is causing full lock when the throttle is not depressed. I emailed DCCDPro and they are going to send me a different chip with new firmware to fix the issue. They've got good customer service!

I've got a little more work to do on the % lock bracket. Hopefully I'll have the tools I need by next weekend so I can get that wrapped up and get the center console installed. With that and the new chip, all that will be left is the AFR display I'm planning to make. I've got an idea of how I want that to turn out, but will have to see what I can do.

Here are the pics.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... spdswap/35
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

I had the same problem with the DCCD Pro chip for TPS, when I had the six speed put in several years ago. He told me to keep the other chip as I might need it sometime. As it turned out this probably helped me because the 6 speed tranny that I bought was represnted as an '04. I drove nearly 200 miles from Portland home to Bremerton . A few days later, just happened to get curioous about the trans model number tag on the tranny, checked it and turned out it was a '06 trans. '04 3.90 final drive, same as my '91 rear end, '06 final drive 3.54, not the same. Found an '02 wrx rear end with the right ratio to use, put the '91 flange on it. I am guessing that it saved me some damage that a mis matched final drive to rear end could cause.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah I don't know what happened as I noted on my order about the reversed TPS. They told me to send the chip back to them. So we'll see how difficult it is to replace once I get the chip.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

This guy, with his 160 MPH electronic speedo cluster.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

You shouldn't have any trouble removing the chip, Josh. I did it without breaking it, and I am electronically challenged. My unit is pretty much buried behind the center dash console/head unit. Fishing it out to get at it was hard. After opening the case, it was hard to get a grip on the chip to get enough force to pull on it, then install the replacement without bending pins, squooshing it.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Ok, thanks for the info!
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Well I had a pretty productive day working on the car today. The end product probably doesn't look like a lot, but for the way I do things it was very productive.

I started out by finishing the brackets for the DCCD Pro % diff lock knob. I have an inner and outer bracket. The inner bracket slides up and down inside the outer bracket to adjust the knobs height. I did A LOT of "measure a million times, drill once" :lol: The initial shaping of the brackets could have been a little better, but you won't see them and they are functionally ok. I epoxied the outer bracket onto the blank that goes into the center console. I'll put the brackets and everything together next weekend.

I haven't decided how I am going to configure the diff lock knob. The potentiometer I'm using is a push lock design, so when you press down on the knob, it pops up. The problem is that it only pops up about .1". So when it pops up, there's not much to grab onto with your fingers to adjust. The other option, instead of having it recessed I will have it sticking out just a little bit, so that when it does pop up, it's easier to grab and adjust.

Next I replaced the chip in the DCCD Pro controller with the new one they sent. Initially it didn't appear to be working, however I tested it again this evening and everything is working fine....so it was probably a user error. So that's all buttoned up and ready to go.

Lastly, I made a bracket to hold the proximity sensor for my alarm. It's just been tucked on top of some wires in the center console area for the past 16 years and always flopped around. It made ajusting the prox sensor kind of a pain. Anyway, I made a bracket that mounted to the front bolt that holds the parking brake. I bent the bracket initially with 45 deg angles, but needed it raised a little bit more, so bent it to around 55 deg angles. I ended up grabbing a longer bolt from my "bag O bolts" from the original AWD & 5spd donor car. I didn't know how many threads were sticking out and didn't want to only have part of the threads in the nut. The bolts that hold the power steering pump are the right size & length. I had to trim a little bit of the carpet so the bracket fit and the carpet didn't bunch up. Finally, I used industrial strength Velcro to secure the proximity sensor to the bracket.

Here are the pictures

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... spdswap/36

I will probably put the center steering column trim back on next weekend and may start the car up. I've got one final project and that's making a place for the AFR display. But I kind of need to see how it fits with the sitting position and steering wheel.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I finished the DCCDPro controls yesterday evening and got the center console back together. The controls and everything turned out exactly how I had them pictured in my mind. I also put the steering column trim piece and steering wheel back on today. I was given a Link knock light, and I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it. For the time being I've got it sandwiched under the stereo. If I decide to keep it, I'll probably mount it on the steering column.

Here are pics from yesterday and today
http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... spdswap/37

Here is a video testing the DCCDPro controls
http://youtu.be/IBO0rPPKAig

Here is the final installation
http://youtu.be/P9SRvC7f-AI

I also started work on the AFR display and that didn't work out too well. The LED cover I had was too thin to work with. I'm probably going to have to order some new material to do what I want.....that or I'm going to have to change what I'm going to do......we'll see.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I got the Legacy running on Friday. I didn't get the AFR display setup like I wanted so rather than keep everything apart and the car not drivable, I figured it be best to get it working again and then figure out the AFR display later.

I didn't take any final pics, but need to. Here's a short vidoe of the car running :)

http://youtu.be/I9c84R5wM40
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT