91 SS to RSRA Spec bare shell complete restoration/build

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Re: 91 SS to RSRA Spec bare shell complete restoration/build

Post by NICO »

very nice work you do ! clean !! this parts place that makes part for the legacy where is the web page id like to see what they have
Last edited by NICO on Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
1993 Subaru Legacy 44B STi 4Cam 16Valve Turbo Intercooled AWD
EJ22T, STi EJ207 DOHC, Vi-PEC (Spare Autronic) @ 426.20HP / 394.94ft lb @ 00psi
Tuned By: Franz Diebold ( DIEBOLD AUTOSPORT ) @ NVauto
BC622B05STI
Second Gear

Post by BC622B05STI »

Here is one of the things that I am really looking forward to getting for the Legacy. It is a wrc style crossmember for the front and rear of the car. I will be talking more about how and where you can buy these in the near future. At the moment they are not yet available but I am working with the guy that is making them and have already had one at the shop and I can say they are very well made
BC622B05STI
Second Gear

Post by BC622B05STI »

NICO wrote:very nice work you do clean !! this parts place that makes part for the legacy where is the web page id like to see what they have
Do you mean the crossmembers? I bought all the factory pieces through Subaru dealership and the engine was from another race engine builder we know. The roof vents were from Possum Bourne Motorsports and I will have to find out if he has a web page for the WRC style crossmembers. I hope that answers your questions. If not ask me specifally what parts you are interested in and I will let you know
Is this your car by chance? The tuner did this car also right? If so, I would like to know more about it
BC622B05STI
Second Gear

Post by BC622B05STI »

Here is the web page that did the Roof vents.

http://www.possumbourne.co.nz/
BC622B05STI
Second Gear

Post by BC622B05STI »

This is the company that I will be buying my suspension links from and also the company that bought the crossmember for me to look at. You will most likely be able to purchase the crossmembers through them but I can not confirm this yet.
http://www.kaminari.com/competition

Ray that is building these parts works in his shop.
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

thanks for the web pages, no that blue rally car is not my car ! i wish it was lol... that car is from the uk its the real rally car of colin mcrae.

im looking for things like carbon door cards, light weight hoods, my car is this one http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=41766
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Nico, they sell CF in ready cured sheets. You could buy a few of them and just cut them out using the old door cards as a template, they'd be flat, but you could always add a strap of something for the door. If you wanted them to match the stock door card contours, I can't imagine you'd find anybody making them or that there'd be a substantial weight advantage to it.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
BC622B05STI
Second Gear

Post by BC622B05STI »

I am planning on fitting a six speed gearbox into the Legacy and I guess, I had not explained why I stripped the car to a bare shell. I am building this car into a spec that will be a cross between an rsra Legacy and the group A legacy. It will have adjustable rear lateral links and of course the WRC style crossmembers and at this time I am considering using speedline 17" wheels with stoptech brakes. Well back to what I was saying about the bare shell, I have removed all the underseal and sound deadening from the shell and will put some of the more modern sound deadening sheets inside on the floor pan but I have removed a lotof weight just in this area alone. I have remived the ABS loom and converting it to wind up window which all of those thing that I have done make it Similar to the RSRA. I will also fit the water to air intercooler set up found on the group A Legacy as well as the roof vents that will give it that same look. The big thing was to be able to change the color from pearl white to ceramic white. I do not want it to have any evidence ofthe color change. The entire car will be painted including underneath. It will be somewhat of a show car more than a daily driver but it will get driven!
I also have to change the wiring loom and do a standalone engine management system for it and so I wanted to strip out the loom to do this properly as well. This project is going to be on a bit slow for a while however once I get it painted it will start to move along again.
BC622B05STI
Second Gear

Post by BC622B05STI »

Here is a picture of the Decals I did for the dash
I am thinking about doing that same logo on the car but nothing too obvious, I like things to be factory looking and not draw too much attention
Danny-G
Fourth Gear

Post by Danny-G »

Since you're gonna have a virtually brand new car, why not roll the odometer back to zero? Just a thought I had.
Danny
biggreen96 wrote:well get out there and smash that geo around and get comfy.
1993 Legacy LS Awd: lifted, 4eat, higher mileage, and dirty.
1994 Legacy Turbo wagon: rwd, 4eat, and a faint knock..
1992 Legacy postal: bone stock, 4eat, blown reverse.
Falken-18c
Second Gear

Post by Falken-18c »

Danny-G wrote:Since you're gonna have a virtually brand new car, why not roll the odometer back to zero? Just a thought I had.
i thought if u rolled it back the numbers wouldnt line up the numbers would be crooked. why bother yea maybe its like new. but id just keep colecting them miles lol
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

evolutionmovement wrote:Nico, they sell CF in ready cured sheets. You could buy a few of them and just cut them out using the old door cards as a template, they'd be flat, but you could always add a strap of something for the door. If you wanted them to match the stock door card contours, I can't imagine you'd find anybody making them or that there'd be a substantial weight advantage to it.
ya i was thinking of just doing it like that, i just want the looks. i seen a real rsra and the door cars are sick ! would not mind those also.

BC622B05STI ..... good luck with your project and cant wait to see it when its done !!
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

Inspiring project! I'm curious to see what other parts you reintroduce to the BC.
90 L+ wgn
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

i want that subframe
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

I love those subframes too. Any idea if they are lighter than the stock components and if so, how much?

I love what you have accomplished with your car, it's really amazing.

Jeff
91 Black SS 5spd. Edm lights, wrx gauges in dash, 45 degree airbox, cryoed drilled and slotted brakes. Invidia divorced downpipe with custom stainless exhaust. To be installed, aluminum a-arms, manual belts, awic.
BC622B05STI
Second Gear

Post by BC622B05STI »

jefferson wrote:I love those subframes too. Any idea if they are lighter than the stock components and if so, how much?

I love what you have accomplished with your car, it's really amazing.

Jeff
Thanks, the crossmembers ( Subframes) probably are a similar weight to the original, I will weigh them when I get a set. They are going to be much stronger than the original and overal flex even with the chassis will be reduced. I apologize that I can't give you an answer regarding the weight difference but I will try to give more information regarding them as soon as I get them.
BC622B05STI
Second Gear

Post by BC622B05STI »

Is there anyone on here that can photoshop and add the wheel images to the image of my Legacy

If there is someone that could do this for me I would really appreciate it, I would like to see the 2016 wheel in gold if possible. I may have a couple more but these are the ones I am interested in for now. Thanks
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

If I have time this week, I'll try and do something with the pics, but I am not a photoshop master by any means.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
subytech
Second Gear

Post by subytech »

I know you're going for the whole authentic restoration, but for anyone else drooling over those subframes here's another option as well. I know a guy (girodisk-badwagon on nasioc) that is having them build a front subframe as well, don't know if it's full custom or if they will build them for anyone, but sounds like they can do pritty much anything like this.
http://www.tssfab.us/subaru.html

EDIT: TSS' subaru site seems to be down right now but their facebook shows more of what they can do Serch TSSFAB.US on facebook
Last edited by subytech on Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
92 Legacy Turbo, 5sp MT, Early Large CC 20G heads, Ported custom clocked td04, Cobb catted DP, Injen SS 3" exhaust, Turbosmart MBC @ 10psi, Apexi 20g intake, custom FMIC, Fidanza 11lb flywheel, stock 05 WRX clutch
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

I was just going to get on here and mention that TSSFab does those cross members. I don't have them yet but I have his suspension arms and they are gorgeous. Would highly recommend them.
2011 Mini Countryman S All4
1970 Honda Ct90
2001 Forester S of Doom - mowed down by a Cummins
1994/5/6/01/02/03/04/06/07/08 Impregacy OUtback SS STi Type R money pit- NEW RALLYCAR!!
QuickDrive
Lurker-King

Post by QuickDrive »

This is an insane rebuild. Wish I had the funds to do something like this myself.
R I P-------- 91 Turbo 4EAT --------R I P
Timo
First Gear

Post by Timo »

What an awesome project!
Subaru Legacy Turbo RS

Something needed/wanted from EU, maybe I can help, just pm me!
BC622B05STI
Second Gear

Post by BC622B05STI »

Update
Hi everyone, sorry I have not been online lately. I have been busy working on other projects to help make money to buy parts for the Legacy. I just finished work on a 84 March Indycar and will be spending the next few weeks or so working on a Indylights car
I am still searching for parts for my Legacy and have just placed an order for the proper intercooler and lines and pump for my EJ20 Engine. I am also going to be taking my Legacy to get the subframes made and fitted soon so I am very much looking forward to that and having Ray do some seam welding on the shell at the same time.
I also had a great Christmas and got a scale model of a Ferrari 512LM that I worked in the 90's while working for my dads business.
In my spare time I like to build and collect scale cars, above are a pics of models I built and csome I bought.
The Last few weeks of last year were spent working on an Alfa Romeo sports car engine similar in a few ways to the Ferrari engines we have built in the past, it is a huge project and will require hundreds of hours as it is being built up from a lot of parts which were bought out of Italy.
I am currently back working on a Cosworth DFV which is one of several we have to do this year.
Well I apologize the thread has gone cold but I hope you guys will keep checking in as I will be back working on the Legacy soon
subytech
Second Gear

Post by subytech »

Not that I wasn't before but now I'm officailly humbled lol. I wish I could take pictures like that at my work!
92 Legacy Turbo, 5sp MT, Early Large CC 20G heads, Ported custom clocked td04, Cobb catted DP, Injen SS 3" exhaust, Turbosmart MBC @ 10psi, Apexi 20g intake, custom FMIC, Fidanza 11lb flywheel, stock 05 WRX clutch
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

Wow, this thread is far from cold. Apparently you work in car heaven, feel free to post about any of these amazing projects!
90 L+ wgn