Jessekrs123's 1993 Subaru Legacy L EG33 Swap

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

Jessekrs123
First Gear

Re: Jessekrs123's 1993 Subaru Legacy L EG33 Swap

Post by Jessekrs123 »

Sorry guys, haven't had any time really to work on this much. The fulltime frozen manager at work retired, and they hired nobody to take his spot, they just told me to go back and forth between dairy and frozen, so things have been ridiculously busy. (They cap my hours at 39 to keep me "part time" it is tough trying to make up somebody else's 40 hours while already doing 39 in another department) Finals were two weeks ago, then all the holidays, and I finally put my BRAT back together and things have just been hectic. I hope to be able to get some stuff done over winter break, maybe get the engine all together and ready to go, because when the spring semester starts, I am going to be hosed with school/work.

I won't be pulling the Legacy motor and sorting the wiring until the weather warms up. Pulling motors and doing any car work in 20* temps in the driveway is just terrible. (Pulled my BRAT motor twice in the last 2 weeks)

NICO, I have a sneaking suspicion you will be finished before me...
2015 Subaru BRZ
1993 Subaru Legacy Sedan 5 Speed FWD Green (EG33 swap in progress)
1984 Subaru BRAT Tan
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah.....just take your time and do it when you can. No need to get in a rush....it'll still be there :)

That sucks they cap your hours at 39....that's bs. Plus going to school....not fun.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Jessekrs123
First Gear

Post by Jessekrs123 »

Did some mehhh stuff today, bolted on the rear timing covers, cam and crank sprockets. Various coolant hardlines and whatnot...

I have to get new pulleys (might as well) I have some 04 FXT pulleys in the basement, I will compare those and cross-reference part numbers to see if any of them are the same... Been through a few Subaru motors to get a hint that most of the pulleys are the same.

Sorry it has been a while since posting. First I was getting busy at work (long story, won't get into it) and school. I planned on getting a lot done over winter break but it is just hard to find motivation to do anything in a freezing garage...

Hopefully I'll pick up some momentum and get this thing buttoned up and ready to go in the car sometime this spring...
2015 Subaru BRZ
1984 Subaru BRAT Tan
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

That looks like its coming together pretty nicely. Looking good!!!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah, that looks really good!
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Jessekrs123
First Gear

Post by Jessekrs123 »

Bolted on the new pulleys, crank sensors, cam sensor, hooked up coolant lines. Nobody has those pinch clamps, I went to 3 parts stores and 2 hardware stores with no luck. Everybody only has the wormwood stuff.

Cam sprockets are rubbing against the rear timing covers, too cold to figure anything out right now...

Shiny new temp sensors.

Now I have to hook up everything under the intake manifold. Got a nice diagram from the dealer to help me out because it is a rats nest of vacuum lines under that monster.

That is all for now...
2015 Subaru BRZ
1984 Subaru BRAT Tan
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

I've been following you build for a while now and am very impressed but also a little impatient. I can't wait to see the end result.
Did you have a wiring diagram for the svx? I'm in need of one for a swap I'm doing for a friend.
Are you looking for replacement spring hose clamps? As a mechanic, I can't think of a good reason to even re-use those. Worm-drive clamps are much better and are available with a sleeve to protect the hose from the 'slots' on the clamp. Most parts stores refer to them as heavy-duty.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
Jessekrs123
First Gear

Post by Jessekrs123 »

beatersubi wrote:I've been following you build for a while now and am very impressed but also a little impatient. I can't wait to see the end result.
Did you have a wiring diagram for the svx? I'm in need of one for a swap I'm doing for a friend.
Are you looking for replacement spring hose clamps? As a mechanic, I can't think of a good reason to even re-use those. Worm-drive clamps are much better and are available with a sleeve to protect the hose from the 'slots' on the clamp. Most parts stores refer to them as heavy-duty.
Yeah, I'm becoming impatient myself. If I had more time on my hands this would have been done a while ago, just extremely busy with other things.

I have the SVX diagram should be on the first page of this thread. It is what I used to figure out what wires to keep and what I needed to merge.
2015 Subaru BRZ
1984 Subaru BRAT Tan
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Jessekrs123 wrote:
beatersubi wrote:I've been following you build for a while now and am very impressed but also a little impatient. I can't wait to see the end result.
Yeah, I'm becoming impatient myself. If I had more time on my hands this would have been done a while ago, just extremely busy with other things.

I have the SVX diagram should be on the first page of this thread. It is what I used to figure out what wires to keep and what I needed to merge.
You gotta get your priorities straight, man. :o
I printed off the ECU pin-outs but was looking for a factory wiring diagram to back them up. But if you were able to do it with just the pin-outs, I'm not too worried.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Jessekrs123
First Gear

Post by Jessekrs123 »

Christ it has been decades since I did anything to this engine.

Been working anywhere between 50-70 hours a week for the past few months so spare time has been, well, spare.

Got the thing timed today.

This thing is now ready to roar... Once I put all the other pieces of the intricate puzzle back together.
2015 Subaru BRZ
1984 Subaru BRAT Tan
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You've done an awesome job getting that engine cleaned up! It really looks great.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Legacy777 wrote:You've done an awesome job getting that engine cleaned up! It really looks great.
Seconded.
I'd offer to come over and help put it back together but I don't know if you'd want to pay my travel time.
svxguru72
In Neutral

Post by svxguru72 »

I would love to buy that trany from you if you still have it!!! text me at 763-744-6313!
thanks
tarnrevick
In Neutral

Post by tarnrevick »

Awesome work being done here! Hopefully you are going to be able to finish the project and get the wagon up and running. I am seriously contemplating swapping a SVX EG33 in to my 1990 legacy wagon. I found a super cheap SVX near where I live. I was looking for a 4EAT and if this one can handle the EG33 it can sure handle my EJ22. The only thing holding me back from doing the swap is the AC. I have to have working AC, so I too might just figure out how to mount all the parts to make it work. Maybe mount the condenser somewhere else or make a custom one. Use a few motorbike radiators or something I don't know. Anyhow really looking forward to seeing how this turns out. Very impressive, keep up the good work!! Good Luck!
firstgenlover
In Neutral

Post by firstgenlover »

Hey man what an awesome build and thanks for all the great coverage im looking to do this swap myself but was wondering will the stock 5speed tranny hold up to the power arlight?
Jessekrs123
First Gear

Post by Jessekrs123 »

Necro bump.

First time taking a vacation in ??? 3 years I think.

So I finished assembling the motor today.

Hopefully I can keep up with this pace and pull the motor from my Legacy, drop this in, get it to run, then button everything up.

Unfortunately my engineering manager is pursuing something else, which will leave me as the only engineer in the shop again like last summer, so back to 70 hour weeks as soon as I get back from vacation. :(
2015 Subaru BRZ
1984 Subaru BRAT Tan
Jessekrs123
First Gear

Post by Jessekrs123 »

Got some stuff done in the past week.

Pulled the motor out of the Legacy.

De-pinned the Legacy harness and began to map up the merge with the SVX harness.

Machined an EGR block plate at work.

Just waiting on a few parts. Need new flywheel bolts, exhaust studs, and miscellaneous crap. I'll probably need a new flywheel because the Legacy flywheel is in pretty rough shape and has definitely seen some heat, I'm assuming from the previous owner who killed the clutch while learning stick.

Its a shame the tapping centers at work can really only handle plastics and aluminum or I would machine some exhaust flanges and fab up a full exhaust. The only steel we machine is when someone ****s up and runs tools through the jaws :lol:
2015 Subaru BRZ
1984 Subaru BRAT Tan
Jessekrs123
First Gear

Post by Jessekrs123 »

Hi guys,

I got the motor in (tight squeeze, had to drill out the spots welds on the center radiator support to allow for some wiggle room) and began mocking up the wiring.

I am having an issue though.

The fuel pump relay is not grounding/switching on itself, and I am not getting power to the ECU on connector B59 pins 13 and 2 which are power supplies for the ignition system.

I have merged everything as follows (Connector-Pin):
SVX | Legacy
B62-5 | F47-5 - Confirmed 12v reaching this at ECU (Self-Shutoff Control)
B62-23 | F47-23 - This is not grounding the fuel pump when key is turned to "on"(Fuel Pump Relay Control)
B61-10 | B56.10 - Confirmed 12v reaching this at ECU with key in "start" position (Starter Signal)
B60-12 | B58-12 - Confirmed 12v reaching this at the ECU (Ignition Switch)
B59-15 | B48-15 - Confirmed 12v reaching this at ECU with key "off" and key "on" (Back-Up Power Supply)
B59-2 | B48-2 - 12v not reaching ECU (Control Unit Power Supply)
B59-13 | B48-13 - 12v not reaching ECU (Control Unit Power Supply)

If you look on the first page, I have the harness merge mapped out. I only merged enough to get the motor to run, I left out a few things such as the radiator fans, and tach output, as those shouldn't keep the motor from running.

I can ground B62-23 and the fuel pump runs.

I jumped 12v to B59-2 & B59-13 and have 12v going to the ECU and reaching things like the injectors, o2 sensors, and MAF sensor.

With the ignition on, I am getting no power to Legacy B48-2 & B48-13, which are merged with SVX B59-2 & B59-13. But I am getting power to Legacy B58-12 merged with SVX B60-12.

The main relay does not click, and the fuel pump does not switched to ground to run.

Does the ECU control the actuating of the main relay and the fuel pump relay?

I checked all ECU grounds are good. All sensor connectors have continuity with their corresponding ECU connections.

However, the ignitor is not getting any power, because I have no spark. I confirmed that the ignitor is grounded, and each coil has continuity from the coil>ignitor>ECU connector. From what I see, the coils are controlled by the ECU.

Perhaps my ECU is shot? The first time I merged everything, I accidentally de-pinned the Legacy harness improperly due to reading the pin-out improperly. (Reversed pin numbers) And hooked everything up with no luck until I realized what I had done. I put everything back, and de-pinned it properly and ended up where I am right now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
2015 Subaru BRZ
1984 Subaru BRAT Tan
Reuben
First Gear

Post by Reuben »

i assume the ignitor is SVX. So what stops an ECU outputting ignition signal. Can angle, crank angle, water temp affects timing. Not much, I can't think of anything else off the top of my head. So if those are all fine, take the cover off the ECU, fetch a magnifying glass, and have a nosie to look for burn marks or swollen caps.
Jessekrs123
First Gear

Post by Jessekrs123 »

So I was able to get the fuel pump and main relays to function.

Turns out the Legacy and the SVX relay set-up works a little differently from one another, so luckily I kept all of my SVX harness and pulled the fuel pump relay wiring and main relay wiring from that and merged everything in.

I hooked up the fuel pump relay/main relay circuits according to the diagram from the FSM.

So now the ECU is getting everything it needs, but still no fire. I did burn out a few fuses which I will have to replace, but I mocked everything up with some fused circuits I created off the battery to see if I could get the FPR and main relay circuits to function, and they did.

More trouble shooting today I guess...
2015 Subaru BRZ
1984 Subaru BRAT Tan
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

If you've done your homework on the wiring like it sounds like you did I would suspect more differences between the Legacy & SVX as you've discovered. Do you have both wiring diagrams you can use for comparison? I'd double check the relays and make sure they are the same normally open or closed relays.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Great to see some progress on this awesome project! I was sure it was dead and gone, like too many projects tragically end up.
Jessekrs123
First Gear

Post by Jessekrs123 »

Hey guys.

Exciting update.

She runs.

Looking over the wiring harness at the motor, I found a couple wires missing from the connector that goes to the igniter and the coils. 2 black/white 12v wires were missing. Luckily I found them from my wiring nest, nicely labeled the way I left it and hooked them up.

Put my test light to the igniter and saw power for the first time.

With much excitement I turned the car over and it came to life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7dON0fcheE

I just need to order a radiator now that I know it runs, find some fans, and button it up and she'll be road worthy.
2015 Subaru BRZ
1984 Subaru BRAT Tan
Pntaste4evr99
Winestone Cowboy

Post by Pntaste4evr99 »

Open headers?? That's badass!
94 Winestone SS 5MT Rob 550 20g. (Pickle)
Original WA car with 460k miles and climbing
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Nice!
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT