Jessekrs123's 1993 Subaru Legacy L EG33 Swap

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

vrg3
Vikash

Re: Jessekrs123's 1993 Subaru Legacy L EG33 Swap

Post by vrg3 »

Looking good! I'm getting excited!

I wonder if those extra cooling fittings are to run coolant through the two throttle bodies.

I sometimes use disposable rubber gloves to plug open holes on engines. Stuff them in -- or more than one, tied together, if necessary -- just the way you would a paper towel.

Have you considered trying to get or fabricate insulating spacers for the intake manifold?

The air conditioning system will be a lot less effective with the condenser mounted behind the radiator. In fact, it might not work at all. The coolant going through the radiator is around 200 degrees. The refrigerant going through the condenser is only around 100 degrees. If I were you I'd try to rig up a mounting scheme that keeps the condenser in front of the radiator. You can then put fans in front of that still.

I agree that using all Legacy A/C components -- if possible -- is the way to go. But if the hoses won't reach, you might be able to mix and match with things from other first-generation Legacies. There were 3 A/C systems used -- Calsonic, Zexel R-12, and Zexel R-134a. 90-93 models used Calsonic or Zexel R-12 systems (and all turbos used Calsonic), and 94 models used Zexel R-134a. Maybe there's some mix of parts that would work with the SVX stuff.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Jessekrs123
First Gear

Post by Jessekrs123 »

vrg3 wrote:Looking good! I'm getting excited!

I wonder if those extra cooling fittings are to run coolant through the two throttle bodies.

I sometimes use disposable rubber gloves to plug open holes on engines. Stuff them in -- or more than one, tied together, if necessary -- just the way you would a paper towel.

Have you considered trying to get or fabricate insulating spacers for the intake manifold?

- Yes, I have CNC experience, but I don't think the CNC machines at school are big enough to make it, I'll have to look into it more. I have started tracing the fuel stack gasket and began writing up some G-code.

The air conditioning system will be a lot less effective with the condenser mounted behind the radiator. In fact, it might not work at all. The coolant going through the radiator is around 200 degrees. The refrigerant going through the condenser is only around 100 degrees. If I were you I'd try to rig up a mounting scheme that keeps the condenser in front of the radiator. You can then put fans in front of that still.

- Thanks for this info, very useful, everything as far as mounting is concerned will be determined once I get the engine in and have some visual to play around with things.

I agree that using all Legacy A/C components -- if possible -- is the way to go. But if the hoses won't reach, you might be able to mix and match with things from other first-generation Legacies. There were 3 A/C systems used -- Calsonic, Zexel R-12, and Zexel R-134a. 90-93 models used Calsonic or Zexel R-12 systems (and all turbos used Calsonic), and 94 models used Zexel R-134a. Maybe there's some mix of parts that would work with the SVX stuff.

Thanks for all this info vrg, it will definitely keep me pondering about what is possible before I execute what is necessary.
2015 Subaru BRZ
1993 Subaru Legacy Sedan 5 Speed FWD Green (EG33 swap in progress)
1984 Subaru BRAT Tan
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Cool, happy to give what little help I can. I'm really excited about your swap project.

CNC might be overkill for intake manifold spacers; simple hand tools might be enough for you to make a spacer from raw materials using a stock gasket as a guide. This guy makes Teflon spacers that way (which are nice because they also act as gaskets): http://tech.mirage-performance.com/tefl ... asket.html
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Jessekrs123
First Gear

Post by Jessekrs123 »

vrg3 wrote:Cool, happy to give what little help I can. I'm really excited about your swap project.

CNC might be overkill for intake manifold spacers; simple hand tools might be enough for you to make a spacer from raw materials using a stock gasket as a guide. This guy makes Teflon spacers that way (which are nice because they also act as gaskets): http://tech.mirage-performance.com/tefl ... asket.html
Little help?? Everything you have told me so far has been completely relevant and you have definitely helped me to realize some things that I have overlooked. Your help is greatly appreciated.

You are probably right about CNC being overkill, but I have to do a few projects of my own for my class, so I might as well do one that I can benefit from. I'm sure it would be much easier using hand tools and whatnot rather than tracing out the gasket and marking every changing point for the code. Something as simple as a manifold gasket turns into like 4 pages of code... I'm just glad that each side is identical.
2015 Subaru BRZ
1984 Subaru BRAT Tan
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Oh, that's cool, then, Maybe you could publish the designs for others to use after that!
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Yeah, writing CNC code can certainly be tedious, but I find it all worth it when you watch it follow it . . . unless you fucked something up, in which case, it really sucks as you see it and it's already too late to do anything about. Not that I'd know from experience or anything. . .
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Jessekrs123
First Gear

Post by Jessekrs123 »

Got the SVX side of the harness completed today. Still a little messy, but once I merge the Legacy harness in there, everything gets wrapped right up and hopefully all goes well, she'll fire up with no problem. I am pretty confident everything is set, all needed SVX pins are accounted for, and they are all in the right spots.

:D
2015 Subaru BRZ
1984 Subaru BRAT Tan
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Nice work!

Just a note on the AC, you could maybe look into some custom AC lines or have a shop modify some lines for you.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Jessekrs123
First Gear

Post by Jessekrs123 »

Been a while since I posted anything so, I found some extra wires within my harness.

Those turned out just to be branched TPS wires that go to the TCU. Won't be needing those with a 5 speed.
2015 Subaru BRZ
1984 Subaru BRAT Tan
Jessekrs123
First Gear

Post by Jessekrs123 »

Finally got the big guy on the stand this morning. Have to clean it all up after work and then start tearing it apart.

Spring break this week and it is supposed to be pretty nice out so I plan on getting a lot done this week.

Now I can sit my fat ass on a stool and start tearing it up.
2015 Subaru BRZ
1984 Subaru BRAT Tan
Jessekrs123
First Gear

Post by Jessekrs123 »

Got the EGR valve off today. All of the EGR flange bolts snapped like butter, but oh well, this won't be going back onto the engine which is why I'd like to give it the middle finger.

Took the side timing covers off and found that 3 of my 4 cam seals are leaking.

And cleaned a little more off the engine...
2015 Subaru BRZ
1984 Subaru BRAT Tan
Jessekrs123
First Gear

Post by Jessekrs123 »

Almost clean...
2015 Subaru BRZ
1984 Subaru BRAT Tan
Jessekrs123
First Gear

Post by Jessekrs123 »

Got a good amount of work done today.

Quick timing components reference.

Timing components removed.

Exhaust manifolds removed.

I plan on cutting off the EGR pipe close to the manifold and then filling it with some weld.

That is all for now. Need to find a reputable machine shop to shave down the heads, and regrind my valves. If anyone knows of a good machine shop in CT, let me know, that will be the next step, disassembling the heads and sending them out to be machined.
2015 Subaru BRZ
1984 Subaru BRAT Tan
Jessekrs123
First Gear

Post by Jessekrs123 »

Got the fuel stacks separated from the fuel rails the other day.

It has been so damn nice out lately. Too bad I have to go back to school this week...
2015 Subaru BRZ
1984 Subaru BRAT Tan
Jessekrs123
First Gear

Post by Jessekrs123 »

Got a bunch of crap for the motor today.

Every seal/gasket/grommet you can imagine. There are some extras in there as well like circlips and stuff like that.

This thing is going to be buttoned up nice and tight.
2015 Subaru BRZ
1984 Subaru BRAT Tan
Jessekrs123
First Gear

Post by Jessekrs123 »

Valve covers removed.

Left and right side valvetrains.

Everything looks to be in good shape. No scoring on the cam lobes.

Valvetrain components removed and neatly organised. You really can't screw the order up because everything is marked with a cylinder number and engine side except for the HLAs. Good to just keep everything in order though... just because.

Left and right side with valvetrain components removed (except for the valves themselves)

Now that I can access the hidden head bolts that were located behind the camshafts, I can get the heads off. Just need a special star socket and the heads will be off ASAP.
2015 Subaru BRZ
1984 Subaru BRAT Tan
Jessekrs123
First Gear

Post by Jessekrs123 »

Got the heads off this morning.

Shortblock.

Some morning head action ;)

Left and right side combustion chambers.

Left and right side heads.

Haven't cleaned anything off yet but everything seems to be in rather good shape :)
2015 Subaru BRZ
1984 Subaru BRAT Tan
Jessekrs123
First Gear

Post by Jessekrs123 »

Removed the valves and their components today.

Cleaned up one head.

Ran out of time to clean the other head though, I'll get around to it when I have some spare time.

After I clean off the heads, intake ports, exhaust ports and what have you, the heads will be resurfaced and heat bathed.

I will be re-lapping the valves and replacing the oil seals as well once I get everything cleaned up.

So far everything looks really good. Heads are very straight for what they are, and the valve seats are very clean with no notches or anything, smooth as butter.

I am very happy with how well everything looks, now time to make it look even better.
2015 Subaru BRZ
1984 Subaru BRAT Tan
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Looking good!

Wow, I didn't know the EG33 did that thing where there's just one cam sprocket on each side even though it's DOHC. That's really cool.

Won't the ECU be mad if there's no functional EGR system?
Jessekrs123
First Gear

Post by Jessekrs123 »

vrg3 wrote:Looking good!

Wow, I didn't know the EG33 did that thing where there's just one cam sprocket on each side even though it's DOHC. That's really cool.

Won't the ECU be mad if there's no functional EGR system?
Yeap, the EG33's intake cam gears are cam driven off of the exhaust cam gears which are driven by the cam pulleys and timing belt.

I plan on keeping the electrics for the EGR, just not mechanically hooking it up to the exhaust manifold or the intake manifold. The EGR pipes are so caked with crap I cannot imagine that it was properly functional to begin with.
2015 Subaru BRZ
1984 Subaru BRAT Tan
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I'm not familiar with OBD1 SVX ECUs in particular, but usually even OBD1 ECUs monitor EGR function because if the valve sticks it can screw up fuel mixtures and prevent a proper idle. That's what the EGR temperature sensor is for.

I look back and see you mentioned from the get-go that this was your plan... I don't know how I missed it then.

You may be right, though -- I guess if the system really was already clogged to the point of being nonfunctional and there were no CELs when it was running in the SVX, then maybe the SVX ECU doesn't do this monitoring.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Looks good man!

That's a lot of hard work!
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Jessekrs123
First Gear

Post by Jessekrs123 »

Got a chance to lap up all the valve seats.

2015 Subaru BRZ
1984 Subaru BRAT Tan
Jessekrs123
First Gear

Post by Jessekrs123 »

Pulled all the valve oil seals off today. The engine seal kit came with new ones so might as well replace all of those while I have everything apart.

2015 Subaru BRZ
1984 Subaru BRAT Tan
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

While the heads are apart you might get rid of those nasty ridges just upstream of the valves. A little pocket porting will perk things up.

Jeff
91 Black SS 5spd. Edm lights, wrx gauges in dash, 45 degree airbox, cryoed drilled and slotted brakes. Invidia divorced downpipe with custom stainless exhaust. To be installed, aluminum a-arms, manual belts, awic.