Frankenbeater Version 4. Want to help me?

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Re: Frankenbeater Version 4. Want to help me?

Post by kimokalihi »

I see. I don't know jack about brake technical stuff. I just know these stock brakes suck. I already have 17" wheels.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Its your pads that suck. The Legacy Turbo brakes are really good. They are equal to if not better than 2.5RS brakes...
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Then new pads I shall buy! Ebc?
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

I'm pretty partial to stoptechs, but there's not a rear pad meant for these cars. Although there might be a galant pad that fits.
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

I've had good luck with EBC, but also heard good things about Hawk as well.
Thanks for doing the brake math for us, Ciper. :wink:
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I agree with ciper on the LGT brake setup. If you swap everything, they shift the bias even more forward. Just swapping the rears will give you the same bias as the H6 swap, except you get vented rear rotors. For every day use, you probably don't need them. If you track the car, they would be beneficial.

My brake math spreadsheet allows you pick & choose different brake setups from a drop down menu and it calculates the change in brake torque.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... kemath.xls

As for pads, I've been running EBC red stuff on the Impreza, and have been happy with them for around town and more agressive braking. They recently changed their formulation, and I think the pads are a "harder" compound. They still seem to stop pretty well, but suggest that they won't be fully broke in until you have around 1,000 miles on them. So we'll see if they get better.

I need to do the rotors & pads on the Legacy and will probably go with EBC yellow stuff all the way around. The yellows are a more agressive pad, and may not be suited for daily driving. However I've read people have used them for daily driving without any issues.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Legacy777 wrote: I need to do the rotors & pads on the Legacy and will probably go with EBC yellow stuff all the way around. The yellows are a more agressive pad, and may not be suited for daily driving. However I've read people have used them for daily driving without any issues.
Be careful there. Some race pad compounds don't work without enough heat in them and could leave you with less than optimal braking when you need it in a panic stop situation.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

beatersubi wrote:Be careful there. Some race pad compounds don't work without enough heat in them and could leave you with less than optimal braking when you need it in a panic stop situation.
Yeah I'm aware of that. I should be ok though, Lee, skid542 has used them without any issues on the road.
http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic. ... 49#p269849

I'll probably do a little more research before I pull the trigger on them, but that's probably the direction I'll be going.

I ran PFC carbon metallics many years ago, and they were about the same....once you got some heat into them they worked much much better. But they still performed fine when cold.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

The greenstuffs bridge the gap between stock replacement and the 'racier' pads. I've been happy with them in the WRX brakes on my daily thats also served as a rallycrosser a few times.
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

This got me thinking - If you use two different "temp range" pads on the braking forces would change non linearly during braking. What I'm trying to say is the brake balance would be ever changing. I know a few people running regular pads in the rear and super duper pads in the front. This would mean on cold panic stops the rear would have more torque but on the track the front would have much more.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

ciper wrote:This got me thinking - If you use two different "temp range" pads on the braking forces would change non linearly during braking. What I'm trying to say is the brake balance would be ever changing. I know a few people running regular pads in the rear and super duper pads in the front. This would mean on cold panic stops the rear would have more torque but on the track the front would have much more.
Yeah you could certainly do that and run different pads in the front & rear to play with the brake balance of the car. My brake math spreadsheet has the ability to give you an idea of the change in brake torque between a stock, performance, & race type pad. The coefficient of friction ranges for each is listed on the table. You can effectively get a 20% bump in brake torque by just bumping up a level to a more agressive pad.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT